Nathaniel Clyne Joins Liverpool - Official

Saint Garrett

The best way to avoid more glamorous clubs raiding our squad is to buy rubbish and develop no one through the academy.

Every club has a limit - United couldn't hold onto Ronaldo, ditto Liverpool with Suarez.

And even if we qualified for the Champions' League there would always be an offer from a club who might actually win it.

Tis the way, but we are in a pretty good place, and able to offer quality players time on a pitch - if that motivates them more than shiny wheel trims and prison-style neck tats.

If Lovren is worth £20M we should be able to get £75M for Clyne. :)

SkySportsNews ticker today:

The Daily Mirror are reporting that Chelsea have entered the race to sign Southampton right-back Nathaniel Clyne, who is also a target for Manchester United.

Clyne, rated at around £15m, joined Saints in 2012 and his current deal expires in 2016 and is reportedly stalling on signing a new deal.

Who put that valuation on him? Might not get £75M, of course, but I was hoping for upwards of £20M. :(

Actually surprised he didn't join the exodus last year. However, he will have done us proud for three seasons by the summer so have no real issue with him taking the next step. As England's right back for potentially the next 10 years to improve further he would probably need to be playing Champions League regularly to cement this position as his once and for all so a move in the summer makes sense. As far as valuation is concerned, who knows? He is worth what another team is willing to pay so a potential auction between United and Chelsea can only be to our benefit. That said, moving to Manure at present is just as likely to achieve CL football as staying at Saints would. They are certainly not nailed on qualifiers, so Chelsea could emerge as front runners especially as he is a Londoner.

Might as well drop him from the squad for the rest of the season and give one of the Academy lads a long run. Is Matt Targett any good on the right?

If its true hes deffo off, this may well happen if we fluff the next few games and drop off the radar scope for Euro qualification.

We may also see Morgan dropped and Toby sent back to Madrid as well in that case.

Might as well drop him from the squad for the rest of the season and give one of the Academy lads a long run. Is Matt Targett any good on the right?

If its true hes deffo off, this may well happen if we fluff the next few games and drop off the radar scope for Euro qualification.

We may also see Morgan dropped and Toby sent back to Madrid as well in that case.

Utterly bizarre mindset from both of you!

When has similar ever happened before in football?

Clyne is not the player many think in my humble opinion....He has been able to express himself at Saints whilst a concrete midfield held the fort at times... this will not be the same at some of the "big" clubs.... he will be another Shaw.... but it matters not..... £25M will do nicely....

Clyne is not the player many think in my humble opinion....He has been able to express himself at Saints whilst a concrete midfield held the fort at times... this will not be the same at some of the "big" clubs.... he will be another Shaw.... but it matters not..... £25M will do nicely....

Clyne is quality. All Saints fans know this and it is the reason why Man Utd and Chelsea apparently are tracking him.

We won't get near £25m for him and will do well to replace with someone of anywhere near the same ability.

Hey Chuck, you must looking forward to a mass bed wetting session like you did last summer.

If we replace with good players then no.

Key difference is we are prepared this time. Last year at this point the Club were deluded: the Reed interview saying we didnt have anyone interested in our players and they werent scheming behind his back when they clearly were, and that the MP issue wasnt a problem. It was. We seemed very naive and reactive and Krueger's football related interviews were simply dreadful and made it worse.

This year we have eyes open so should be a lot better.

Clyne will go, Schneiderlin will go, Toby won't sign. We are all aware and the Club probably are more prepared. Plus its less emotional than with Lambert and Lallana.

Clyne will go, Schneiderlin will go, Toby won't sign. We are all aware and the Club probably are more prepared. Plus its less emotional than with Lambert and Lallana.

Would you be happy if we signed Jordy Clasie to replace Schneiderlin?

I think the recruitment of last summer and this January should go a long way to assure Saints even if Schneiderlin, Clyne, Alderweireld and Rodriguez leave we are in good hands. I think its the departure of Les Reed that would worry me the most as he is the one constant in a high postion for the last 5 years.

Edited by Matthew Le God

I think the recruitment of last summer and this January should go a long way to assure Saints even if Schneiderlin, Clyne, Alderweireld and Rodriguez leave we are in good hands. I think its the departure of Les Reed that would worry me the most.

I agree about Les, and maybe Ronald as well. But if that little list did leave it would give us a problem with home grown players and its impacts on possible squad size for next season.

I agree about Les, and maybe Ronald as well. But if that little list did leave it would give us a problem with home grown players and its impacts on possible squad size for next season.

Reed is the football vision at the club since 2010, he has seen Pardew, Adkins, Pochettino and Koeman in his time here. If Koeman goes it'll be for Reed to find his replacement, he probably already knows who he'd want and the club has a great track record of appointments since 2009.

I think the recruitment of last summer and this January should go a long way to assure Saints even if Schneiderlin, Clyne, Alderweireld and Rodriguez leave we are in good hands. I think its the departure of Les Reed that would worry me the most as he is the one constant in a high postion for the last 5 years.

Agree and yeah he sounds good but I havent seen a lot of him and the PL is a much tougher slog than the Dutch League as Pelle and Tadic have found since November.

Good point on Reed.

Wonder if losing Mitchell will have manifested as a blow? Have we replaced him?

Recruitment ultimately will be the judge of how good the summer is, if we replace those players well and sort the positions we are weak in (RB cover, GK cover, Striker) plus beef the squad for Europe if we get there, then we can do well.

But somewhere along the line you will struggle to keep replacing quality with equal/better quality and will be a worse team for selling your best players. That is just normal.

But somewhere along the line you will struggle to keep replacing quality with equal/better quality and will be a worse team for selling your best players. That is just normal.

Has RK not explained, at least a couple of times to journos, that the reason he was relaxed last summer, and will be again this if we lose anyone, is because most Dutch clubs are very used to doing exactly this (successfully) almost every season, and hence it is just normal business?

Agree and yeah he sounds good but I havent seen a lot of him and the PL is a much tougher slog than the Dutch League as Pelle and Tadic have found since November.

Good point on Reed.

Wonder if losing Mitchell will have manifested as a blow? Have we replaced him?

Recruitment ultimately will be the judge of how good the summer is, if we replace those players well and sort the positions we are weak in (RB cover, GK cover, Striker) plus beef the squad for Europe if we get there, then we can do well.

You say it like the club has a choice the best players won't stay so what choice does the club have? It's not the club's fault that modern football is the way it is and that players, already earning more than most can dream of, frequently feel entitled to even higher wages.

This is the bloke who was described in the summer as f*cking useless, full if sh*t and can't sell the club to anyone, yes?

Well if Clyne is off for £20m as is rumoured, we'd have to find a replacement.

Like the look of Kieran Trippier from Burnley myself, similar to Clyne in that he likes to get forward and whip crosses into the box. Him and McCarthy would be decent options for the right back position.

Darmian from Torino would be ambitious, could cover both right and left back slots.

Has RK not explained, at least a couple of times to journos, that the reason he was relaxed last summer, and will be again this if we lose anyone, is because most Dutch clubs are very used to doing exactly this (successfully) almost every season, and hence it is just normal business?

It's not exactly the same. Pretty much all Dutch clubs are raped of their star players each summer and they all have gradually got worse over the lat ten years or more. Some of the English clubs keep theirs or improve on what they have.

It's not exactly the same. Pretty much all Dutch clubs are raped of their star players each summer and they all have gradually got worse over the lat ten years or more. Some of the English clubs keep theirs or improve on what they have.

Yes ok generally. Feyenoord didnt though, under Koeman, despite being skint when he got there. They improved. The point is that he is very used to this happening, and Reed is well versed too, so lets hope we get worse next year like we have this

Edited by Bucks Saint

Personally i don't begrudge Clyne moving on. I seem to remember last summer the primary complaint being about players (Lallana in particular) signing long term big contracts and then wanting out straight away, well Clyney has fulfilled most of his and will probably be sold to avoid him going on a free. He signed the contract, he's honoured it to a point where it's virtually over and from a selling point of view effectively is, therefore I don't think we can really complain, he did the same thing at Palace and why shouldn't he, thats what the contract is there for. Obviously I will be gutted to see him go, but I think for a change we are seeing a player actually stick to what he has signed, and act well within his rights to see that contract out and move on. Fair play to the lad in my opinion, and I wish him well for the future, seems a fairly sensible and switched on guy, evident from not signing for United some years ago when he had the chance but instead opting to join us for the guarantee of first team football before now seemingly bagging his 'big' move. We'll survive and move on I'm sure.

I addressed this in my blog: http://redsloscf.blogspot.com/2015/01/southamptons-european-roster-issues.html]

For European purposes we need four club trained players. We have only two Isgrove and Schneiderlin. Unless we loan back someone like Walcott or Bale, that is the best we can do in that category so our European roster will be limited to 23.

For European purposes we need four association trained players. For Premier League purposes we need eight: We have eight: Bertrand, Barnes, Clyne, Cropper, Davis, Davis, Forster, and Rodriguez (plus Schneiderlin and Isgrove). Some of them are less useful than others, of course. Even if we are left only with Bertrand, Davis S, and Forster, I don't see it being a problem buying another English player.

I do see a problem if we are playing in Europe with no club trained players, but we sign eight English players for the Premier League. That would mean that four roster players are not eligible for Europe. That might make some folks unhappy.

However, we should still have enough players over all because are young players are not counted against these limits so Reed, Targett, and Ward-Prowse, for example, could all still play without taking up one of the 25 roster slots.

"what, you play for a team called who? Banchester United? And you're on how much money? I had no idea, I have never left the Hampshire area or spoken to another player until I got called up for England. This has truly opened my eyes and no mistake."

Much like many of the things you've "been saying for years", it's nonsense.

You must be from Crete ..........

Personally i don't begrudge Clyne moving on. I seem to remember last summer the primary complaint being about players (Lallana in particular) signing long term big contracts and then wanting out straight away, well Clyney has fulfilled most of his and will probably be sold to avoid him going on a free. He signed the contract, he's honoured it to a point where it's virtually over and from a selling point of view effectively is, therefore I don't think we can really complain, he did the same thing at Palace and why shouldn't he, thats what the contract is there for. Obviously I will be gutted to see him go, but I think for a change we are seeing a player actually stick to what he has signed, and act well within his rights to see that contract out and move on. Fair play to the lad in my opinion, and I wish him well for the future, seems a fairly sensible and switched on guy, evident from not signing for United some years ago when he had the chance but instead opting to join us for the guarantee of first team football before now seemingly bagging his 'big' move. We'll survive and move on I'm sure.

Good post.

I would personally splash whatever we get for Clyne and then some more to get Coleman from Everton. He can defend, score, is young (I think). I think Everton are struggling a bit at the moment and the need to sell in order to buy it appears. All depend on where we end though.

I would personally splash whatever we get for Clyne and then some more to get Coleman from Everton. He can defend, score, is young (I think). I think Everton are struggling a bit at the moment and the need to sell in order to buy it appears. All depend on where we end though.

Why would a very well regarded young player move from Everton to us? Highly unlikely. If he's for sale, it won't be to us.

He is 26, and again, unless he was on last year of his contract or something, Everton would never sell- unless we pay something ridiculous.

His contract ends in 2019.

Saints won't be spending the £20m+ record fee it would take to sign a right back like Coleman.