Nathaniel Clyne Joins Liverpool - Official

Saint Garrett

Another sh*t summer beckons.

No Toby

No Clyne

No Morgan

No J-rod return

Maybe we have gone off-the-boil in the last few weeks because our "superstars" are more focused on their big summer pay-days.

Get used to it this is how it will be until we become **** an no one wants our players again.

Our best bet, as a club, is to take a punt on cheap but potentially talented footballers from the lower leagues or abroad, supplemented by academy products, who will come to us for a chance to play in the PL if they do well we sell them on for profit. We will never be big enough to hold on to our best players when the big boys come calling even when it's arguable any of last summers leavers have done their careers, if not their bank balances, any favours by moving last summer.

Is it just me or has the opinion of saints fans changed over the past year....I feel like I've never seen so many people saying 'it's OK easy to replace'...

I think earlier in the season I'd be much more willing to say that - and did - about different players.

Now though, with Tadic and Pelle having spent a little bit more time at the club and looking increasingly tired/off form....I am not so ready to say that. I think clyne is an excellent, excellent player and letting him go would be worrying for our defence. Targett on Sunday showed that just because someone has one or two good games doesn't mean they are ready to step up. Sure TA is a massive improvement and a sign that we can attract good players (and may well be able to attract a decent right back to replace NC)...but I just don't get some of this attitude toward players.

Agreed, if his heart is elsewhere I'll take the money for him any day....just wonder whether if we are going to step up in the table we're going to start having to offer larger contracts (anyone know what his new offer was...?)

Will happen each year. Will be Wanyama the year after as he won't extend his contract either.

Fine, just puts a lot of pressure on the recruitment success.

Is a slight shame though that despite how well we are doing we can't get our best players (the ones who have the choice to move to bigger clubs) to sign new contracts here.

Money talks... we don't have the kind of money that talks loud enough.

No Toby

No Clyne

No Morgan

No J-rod return

Maybe we have gone off-the-boil in the last few weeks because our "superstars" are more focused on their big summer pay-days.

I'll happily take another **** summer followed by a great season.

Is it just me or has the opinion of saints fans changed over the past year....I feel like I've never seen so many people saying 'it's OK easy to replace'...

I think earlier in the season I'd be much more willing to say that - and did - about different players.

Now though, with Tadic and Pelle having spent a little bit more time at the club and looking increasingly tired/off form....I am not so ready to say that. I think clyne is an excellent, excellent player and letting him go would be worrying for our defence. Targett on Sunday showed that just because someone has one or two good games doesn't mean they are ready to step up. Sure TA is a massive improvement and a sign that we can attract good players (and may well be able to attract a decent right back to replace NC)...but I just don't get some of this attitude toward players.

Agreed, if his heart is elsewhere I'll take the money for him any day....just wonder whether if we are going to step up in the table we're going to start having to offer larger contracts (anyone know what his new offer was...?)

You say it like the club have a choice. We can only offer to pay what we can afford. If a player won't sign a contract or wants more money selling is about our only option unless we want them to walk for free. As much as we all wanted Morgan to be forced to stay last summer it probably sent a warning message out to those players who think they can do better that signing a long term contract might not be in their best interests if the club are going to actually hold them to their contract.

You say it like the club have a choice. We can only offer to pay what we can afford. If a player won't sign a contract or wants more money selling is about our only option unless we want them to walk for free. As much as we all wanted Morgan to be forced to stay last summer it probably sent a warning message out to those players who think they can do better that signing a long term contract might not be in their best interests if the club are going to actually hold them to their contract.

Hm very very good point. Never thought of it like that before. Makes a lot of sense

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that did influence clyne's decision now thinking about it

This isn't really new, surely. A lot of other mid-table Prem clubs have had similar happen to them. The days of long serving players sticking by a club because they "just want to" are long gone I'm afraid. Did anyone here honestly think Clyne would become a modern day MLT? He jumped ship to come to us, I'm not surprised he's thinking of doing the same. So be it! Toby isn't ours in the first place - so why anyone is getting their knickers in a twist is beyond me. Yes, he is a CLASS player. But it's well beyond our control. So be it! Morgan has gone about his business very respectfully in my opinion. Again, he clearly isn't a modern day MLT. He'll go. So be it!

This club will carry on regardless. We'll have some **** players, we'll have some class players. They will all come and go. We will have good season, and bad seasons. So be it!

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/560548/Manchester-United-prepare-Nathaniel-Clyne-bid-Southampton

Not good news - he left Crystal Palace for free after running down his contract, I wouldn't be surprised if he did the same thing here. Sell him in the summer, and replace him with Byram.

What really annoys me is - why do they keep wanting to leave and go to smaller clubs?!

Money talks... we don't have the kind of money that talks loud enough.

I don't think a anyone can dispute that but a continued cycle in the same vain of last summer and this summer in all probability will mean a constant threat or risk hanging over us. We seem more equiped than most to deal with it but stability is important and shouldn't be underestimated.

I don't think a anyone can dispute that but a continued cycle in the same vain of last summer and this summer in all probability will mean a constant threat or risk hanging over us. We seem more equiped than most to deal with it but stability is important and shouldn't be underestimated.

It will go in cycles there will be plenty of years when we only have one or possibly no players of interest to the big boys while at times like last summer and this one we will have a collection hopefully we will be able to maintain a decent standard throughout and maybe one day win a cup!

It'll be quite annoying to see our 2 full backs playing at Utd, but that's the name of the game and that's what we have to accept. We're a stepping stone club and will always be a stepping stone club. The hope is that we get a couple of top seasons from these players and they can get us into a position (like now) where we can attract decent level replacements.

...and there the cycle starts again.

We seem to have changed our transfer policy from young, hungry and guaranteed to improve so I fully expect Clyne to be replaced by someone who was good once but hasn't been for a while. Which is fine because if anyone can get these players firing again Koeman can.

It'll be quite annoying to see our 2 full backs playing at Utd, but that's the name of the game and that's what we have to accept. We're a stepping stone club and will always be a stepping stone club. The hope is that we get a couple of top seasons from these players and they can get us into a position (like now) where we can attract decent level replacements.

I'm surprised no one has come out with the classic saintsweb line of 'is moving from a club who are 5th to a club who are 4th really a step up' line yet.

Selling our best players and replacing them with unknowns are not going to work all the time. Losing our best players will have a negative affect on us most of the time, think we just got a bit lucky this pre-season. This is why it's so important we get a bit of success this year (6th or above for Europe) as it's going to be one of the best chances we'll ever have.

Selling our best players and replacing them with unknowns are not going to work all the time. Losing our best players will have a negative affect on us most of the time, think we just got a bit lucky this pre-season. This is why it's so important we get a bit of success this year (6th or above for Europe) as it's going to be one of the best chances we'll ever have.

When you say unknowns you mean players unknown to you, yes?

He isn't going to stay. Toby isn't going to stay. Morgan isn't going to stay.

The sooner we accept it and look forward to the new arrivals, the better.

Yep, spot on. There is a pecking order and little old Southampton need to know there place. We will finish 7th too, them's the rules!

Yep, spot on. There is a pecking order and little old Southampton need to know there place. We will finish 7th too, them's the rules!

And next year it will be someone else, West Ham, Swansea, whoever. They will have a great season beyond all expectations. Flirt with top 6 and then finish 7th or 8th as the underachieving Spurs, Liverpool or Arsenal stutter into life in the final months of the season promising themselves a shot at the title the next season, only to repeat their poor early season form.

The way to end this cycle is to get into the Champions League. For that, we needed to have gambled a bit more in the transfer window, speculating to accumulate in our best opportunity ever. So to be honest, in a sense, you get what you pay for.

Unsurprising, Toby was on about 5.5 million € a year at Atletico, which would have put him on about 80K£ a week when he signed for us, assuming of course that he saw no reason to take a pay cut at that time. We therefore have established a precedent, we're willing to pay 80K a week at least, so when we have these young(ish) lads on 30K a week doing well and being noticed we need to expect to offer them at least as much as the highest paid player currently. IF we've not offered him 80-90K then he's going to look elsewhere.

Exactly, IF we are looking at trying to establish ourselves as a name that will attempt to try and break into that top four then we should realistically be looking to pay between 60-90k for most of our better players. Id be surprised if we were not already paying around the 50-60k mark for top earners anyway.

As for that price bracket Ill be surprised if we arent willing to pay those sorts of wages given that we are more than flirting around attempting to keep Toby permanently.

I cant get too excited with this though, as always I dont expect the club or Clyne would agree in the early stages and unfortunately Clyne holds most of the cards right now.

The way to end this cycle is to get into the Champions League. For that, we needed to have gambled a bit more in the transfer window, speculating to accumulate in our best opportunity ever. So to be honest, in a sense, you get what you pay for.

Speculate with what exactly? The situation seems to be quite transparent, we didn't have the necessary funds (KBilly) KL doesn't want to invest any more of her money (R Krueger) so unless we could have got a hotshot striker for the pittance we obtained for Cork (who would probably be more useful to us than said pittance) I don't see how speculating would be possible.

Without stirring a hornets nest, it's debatable whether, in most cases, we've brought in better players. Clyne is a class act and far harder to replace than Lambert, Chambers and Lovren were last season.

And lets be honest, we got VERY lucky over the summer, anyone that thinks that transfer model is sustainable for any amount of time is at best ill informed.

Without stirring a hornets nest, it's debatable whether, in most cases, we've brought in better players. Clyne is a class act and far harder to replace than Lambert, Chambers and Lovren were last season.

Bertand is better than shaw for me. Defence has improved and he has contributed far far more going forward.

Clyne is hands down the best english right back, and is in the top 3 in the country no doubt in my mind. Shaw was not at that level and clyne will be far harder to replace, especially for the money we will get in.

Mane is an excellent addition and tadic and long are useful players no doubt. The big one is Toby, if we could somehow sign him he would be the best player we've had on the permanent books since le tiss. Utter class and looks like a boss whether he is playing in CB or midfield...

What is worrying, is that we are going to lose Morgan, Toby and Clyne this summer.... and we are going to have a european campaign to contend with.

I really hope we get claisse and toby on permanent deals. God know who we replace clyne with.... i too would take trippier!

Bertand is better than shaw for me. Defence has improved and he has contributed far far more going forward.

Clyne is hands down the best english right back, and is in the top 3 in the country no doubt in my mind. Shaw was not at that level and clyne will be far harder to replace, especially for the money we will get in.

Mane is an excellent addition and tadic and long are useful players no doubt. The big one is Toby, if we could somehow sign him he would be the best player we've had on the permanent books since le tiss. Utter class and looks like a boss whether he is playing in CB or midfield...

What is worrying, is that we are going to lose Morgan, Toby and Clyne this summer.... and we are going to have a european campaign to contend with.

I really hope we get claisse and toby on permanent deals. God know who we replace clyne with.... i too would take trippier!

In the short-term, Betrand is an upgrade on Shaw, though still think once he settles down, Shaw will be a class act. Am very excited about Mané who gives us something we've been crying out for ages. Toby too is an excellent player, even if he's featured in only 16 of 33 games for us. Ultimately, though, he's on loan -and there are good reasons why that is unlikely to change.

That said, success this season owes as much to Fonte, Clyne, Victor, Morgan and to a lesser extent Davis as to these new signings.

Don't get me wrong: Pelle, Tadic and Long are useful additions but they're not difference-makers and have struggled at times. One illustration is our goal-scoring: once you exclude the Sunderland result which is a true outlier, we're closer to a lower-mid table side -and, in turn, why we brought in Elia and Djuriric who still have everything to prove.

If Jrod shows any glimpse of his previous form, I hope we can coax another year or so out of him; because they underlin the need for proven quality. This reinforces a larger point: we did extremely last summer; but even so, the record has been inescapably patchy in some respects. Dread to think what a disappointing window would look like.

:lol: can't believe people on here are so naive, you can't believe a word the Express says.

https://newsframes.wordpress.com/2013/01/24/curious-repeated-headlines/

Not even anything of substance in the article, just says United are interested, Clyne may want to go :lol: laughable story and absolutely 0 content to back up their click-bait headline that he's rejected a new contract.

How can people on here be so gullible?! :mcinnes:

Edited by BlakeySFC

:lol: can't believe people on here are so naive, you can't believe a word the Express says.

https://newsframes.wordpress.com/2013/01/24/curious-repeated-headlines/

Not even anything of substance in the article, just says United are interested, Clyne may want to go :lol: laughable story and absolutely 0 content to back up their click-bait headline that he's rejected a new contract.

Jesus wept how some on here can be so thick.

I think you're missing the point actually, people aren't necessarily believing the Express or saying it's likely to happen due to this story. It's more talking about the fact that he is very likely to leave, irrespective of the Express's opinion of it.

Just before you start insulting people for your misunderstanding...

IS the Mirror any better than the Express?

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/transfer-news/nathaniel-clyne-chelsea-radar-blues-5236757

Chelsea want him.

Maybe he'll sign a 50/50 match deal playing half his games for United, half for Chelsea? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think you're missing the point actually, people aren't necessarily believing the Express or saying it's likely to happen due to this story. It's more talking about the fact that he is very likely to leave, irrespective of the Express's opinion of it.

Just before you start insulting people for your misunderstanding...

Well I see a thread started about a negative article in the Express about Clyne leaving, then skim through a few posts with people slitting their wrists essentially saying all our players are going to leave again in the Summer and that we're going to be in the sh!t again and I put two and two together....hardly rocket science.

The article is a catalyst for people to speculate nonsense and get annoyed/angry about something that may never happen, it baffles me.

If he goes it will be disappointing yes, if he stays and signs a new contract then brilliant, no point getting wound up about something that may not happen is the way I look at it, people unnecessarily creating their own misery.

Edited by BlakeySFC

Exactly, IF we are looking at trying to establish ourselves as a name that will attempt to try and break into that top four then we should realistically be looking to pay between 60-90k for most of our better players. Id be surprised if we were not already paying around the 50-60k mark for top earners anyway.

As for that price bracket Ill be surprised if we arent willing to pay those sorts of wages given that we are more than flirting around attempting to keep Toby permanently.

I cant get too excited with this though, as always I dont expect the club or Clyne would agree in the early stages and unfortunately Clyne holds most of the cards right now.

I seem to remember a discussion about how The FPP really screws over clubs like ourselves, as, although we are financially well run,

you can only use a certain percentage of your annual income, as salary out goings, and we are small fry in revenue terms than the big boys. Not sure how transfer fees come into this though,

but we must be in a stronger position than last year.

This. And not a massive gamble, just one player, the central striker we needed.

No Toby

No Clyne

No Morgan

No J-rod return

I'm guessing you are referring to the summer of 2014 as a "sh*t summer". Last summer was the best summer of transfers the club has ever had! Have you still not realised this?

Thing is we didn't buy unknowns? This merry band cost a fair few pounds! You don't pay 10m for an unknown. I have never seen a Saints team which had so many players purchased for above our previous record buy (which seemed to be the record forever) Rory Delap.

If we sell players for really high fees eg 15-30 mill for a single player then I think the model is sustainable. IF that money is invested back in the team (By sustainable I don't mean pushing forward and competing for the top 4 all the time -I mean being able to buy a team to compete with the second group of teams below the big few.)

I love a mournful "oh if only we could speculate to accumulate" post.

Thing is we didn't buy unknowns? This merry band cost a fair few pounds! You don't pay 10m for an unknown. I have never seen a Saints team which had so many players purchased for above our previous record buy (which seemed to be the record forever) Rory Delap.

If we sell players for really high fees eg 15-30 mill for a single player then I think the model is sustainable. IF that money is invested back in the team (By sustainable I don't mean pushing forward and competing for the top 4 all the time -I mean being able to buy a team to compete with the second group of teams below the big few.)

Might just be me then. I'd never heard of Pelle, Tadic or Mane.