Nathaniel Clyne Joins Liverpool - Official

Saint Garrett

I can remember him being very highly rated during his Ajax days, but kind of fell off the radar a bit. I imagine Koeman had come in contact with him at some point during his time at Ajax when he was a young player, so could well be an option we're looking at. I can see the newspapers already starting up this story. ;)

Im using a tenuous Dutch link TBH, Id much rather have Aurier who the more I see of goes on to further my thinking that he is the real deal. VDW will find games hard to come by and ive seen enough to think he could be a good replacement for young nate.

50k is about the lowest level Id expect us to pay if we are genuinely looking at a consistant top 6/7 finish.

Im using a tenuous Dutch link TBH, Id much rather have Aurier who the more I see of goes on to further my thinking that he is the real deal. VDW will find games hard to come by and ive seen enough to think he could be a good replacement for young nate.

50k is about the lowest level Id expect us to pay if we are genuinely looking at a consistant top 6/7 finish.

Aurier can play on both sides that's for sure, seen more of him than I have of VdW, in fact I seem to remember promoting him in a (or some) HCDAJFU threads. Probably on less money as well, not everyone gets a million a month at PSG, just the fashion idols and Qatarian binkies.

• 2 weeks later...
Why would Clyne go to United if they are about to sign Dani Alves' date=' as another report says. Do Utd want a bench full of ex-Southampton full backs?[/quote']

Clyne I suspect will go where the money is best that is after all how he ended up here.

^I'm pretty sure he ended up here because he wanted to play regular football as there was utd talk at the time we signed him.

True but now there is a spot open for him. He appears to be England's first choice and Man Utd clearly have a need for a right-back. £15m or so to them is nothing and for us it is a good deal for a player with a year left on his deal and no real indication that he wants to stay.

One of the right-backs linked with Manchester United' date=' Danilo, will sign for Real Madrid this summer for £23m. So that is one of the reported targets gone - and I personally feel increases the already high likelihood that Clyne leaves us for Manchester United anyway.[/quote']

it might also increase the price we can get for him.

it might also increase the price we can get for him.

Yep, but not by much. The year left on his deal impacts his price a lot and probably undermines the other factors that can inflate his price such as selling to another club in the Premier League, the fact we don't need the money, him being proven in the Premier League, him being English, Manchester United being loaded, and what we got for Shaw (and others) last summer. Still think we can get £15m for him though.

Clyne has wanted away since before the exodus last year and I was surprised he was playing for us this season. Unless we can offer better money than Utd (or any other top 5 club) then he'll be gone 110%. We are another 3-4 years at the top of the Prem away from this reality starting to swing more in our favour.

Clynes looked pretty average to poor in the england games he's played in so far. So bad walkers looked slightly better

Agreed, unfortunately he has been out of form for us and that shows up more in an England shirt. Don't get me wrong he's a decent player, but just like Walker his positional play isn't always perfect, but his pace gets him out of trouble. At the very top level you need to have both. That said his passing has just been below par. He looks a little nervous and unsure of what he is meant to do when he gets in the opponents half. He plays with more freedom for us (although maybe not recently)

While I'm at it I'd like to say that I think Walker is also a good player IMO. Much better than given credit for at present. He has got caught a few times and these mistakes have been heavily punished and then highlighted on TV. That doesn't make him a bad player. I recall Alan Hanson tearing Bale apart on MOTD for poor positional sense on two occasions in a match and concluding he wasn't a good enough defender. He had made mistakes, but selecting a few incidents to sum up a player is not right. Every full back gets caught out at times, its just whether they get punished for that mistake (and then shown up for it on TV).

Why would Clyne go to United if they are about to sign Dani Alves' date=' as another report says. Do Utd want a bench full of ex-Southampton full backs?[/quote']

I thought Alves had already agreed to go to PSG. I might be wrong. They aren't exactly blessed at right back, so they might sign two players. But I would gamble that Alves has already agreed to sign for PSG and Clyne has agrede to sign for United, sadly.

• 2 weeks later...

Fine, but what I cannot accept is the disrespect players have for the club, their team mates and the supporters by doing all this when the season hasn't finished. It seems that over the past couple of seasons, we've turned out lots of players who don't know how to behave.

Fine, but what I cannot accept is the disrespect players have for the club, their team mates and the supporters by doing all this when the season hasn't finished. It seems that over the past couple of seasons, we've turned out lots of players who don't know how to behave.

thats the nature of top footballers these days. And anyone who thinks players like Clyne would have stayed had we made the Champions League are kidding themselves, as soon as one of the big boys comes knocking it's all over for clubs like ours.

thats the nature of top footballers these days. And anyone who thinks players like Clyne would have stayed had we made the Champions League are kidding themselves, as soon as one of the big boys comes knocking it's all over for clubs like ours.

No, that not the nature of top footballers, only some of them.

As for people kidding themselves that he would stay, no one is doing so. I suspect that they are like me and would expect the player to conduct himself properly and have his head still at Southampton until the end of the season. Is that really too much to ask seeing as he is still contracted to us and the window doesn't open until July (or the end of the season or whenever it is)? Was this the reason he was benched vs Hull?

Maybe something HAS happened this past week. First off he's dropped for Hull game. Then he's quoted firstly saying he wants not only CL next season but titles and fa cups(just in case we do make CL?). He also bizarrely claimed this week that Roy Hodgson has told him the England RB spot is his now, bizarre in that even if Hodgson did say that why make it public? I think we all knew he was going but seems to have jumped the gun a bit. Cast you minds back a year though and Luke Shaw stuff was leaking out about this time too. It worked that time so can't blame Man U for doing same again.

Maybe something HAS happened this past week. First off he's dropped for Hull game. Then he's quoted firstly saying he wants not only CL next season but titles and fa cups(just in case we do make CL?). He also bizarrely claimed this week that Roy Hodgson has told him the England RB spot is his now, bizarre in that even if Hodgson did say that why make it public? I think we all knew he was going but seems to have jumped the gun a bit. Cast you minds back a year though and Luke Shaw stuff was leaking out about this time too. It worked that time so can't blame Man U for doing same again.

Of course it has. You don't leave out the England right back when you are a team of our size, for an important game when there are only a handful left and no midweek games.l

Maybe something HAS happened this past week.

Very likely. You don't "rest" an international right-back when you're only playing one game per week during the end of season run in where you're trying to secure the highest possible finish.

Edited by trousers

I like Clyne and I think he is the best English right back in the league and arguably the best in the league of any nationality.

However, he is just a full-back. How often does a full-back win man of the match? Answer: hardly ever.

So, if Man U want to pay him £100k+ per week and give us £20million+ I'm quite happy with that. As long as we don't replace him with a donkey like Fox we may end up with a stronger squad overall by investing some of the money elsewhere.

I like Clyne and I think he is the best English right back in the league and arguably the best in the league of any nationality.

However, he is just a full-back. How often does a full-back win man of the match? Answer: hardly ever.

So, if Man U want to pay him £100k+ per week and give us £20million+ I'm quite happy with that. As long as we don't replace him with a donkey like Fox we may end up with a stronger squad overall by investing some of the money elsewhere.

Sensible, agreed

agree. selling clyne will give us a good whack. As long as we replace him properly. That fee received will also pay for the keeper we now need

It's not unique to us. Clubs send out feelers to players well before the season ends to line up summer moves. The process of recruiting is very long. It feels like it has happened more to us because we have players that bigger clubs want, that's all. In a way we're a victim of our own success in that respect, but it is far better than the alternative of not having clubs interested in our players.

When you learn that Luke Shaw is on a six figure weekly wage at one of the biggest clubs in the world then I can imagine why Clyne's head has been turned. I haven't seen any lack of effort from him for us, though his form has been off (he's not the only one in recent months either, though).

Is he going to give 100% to us these last few games?

I would slack knowing I'm trebling my wages elsewhere plus getting a good one million sign on fee.

Don't you think the deal would be off if he breaks a limb?

IMHO Must be another player involved if they are pushing it through already.

Nani, Young or Chic?

I would take a swap deal for Mata ;)

Edited by Pilchards

Is he going to give 100% to us these last few games?

I would slack knowing I'm trebling my wages elsewhere plus getting a good one million sign on fee.

Don't you think the deal would be off if he breaks a limb?

IMHO Must be another player involved if they are pushing it through already.

Nani, Young or Chic?

I would take a swap deal for Mata ;)

I think we may have seen the last of Clyne in a Saints shirt tbh. IF the deal has been agreed between the clubs, it's unlikely Saints would want to jeopardise potentially losing £20M+ for the sake of what, 5 games? Especially when we can put Toby in as replacement.

I think we may have seen the last of Clyne in a Saints shirt tbh. IF the deal has been agreed between the clubs, it's unlikely Saints would want to jeopardise potentially losing £20M+ for the sake of what, 5 games? Especially when we can put Toby in as replacement.

of course he is going to play

Montoya, Van der Viel, Byram, Trippier, richards (unconvinced)

There are plenty of options out there, if he wants to move on so be it, its been great watching his rise but we just arent big enough to offer what he wants. Offer him a decent contract offer, give him until the end of the season. If he isnt interested then move him on, 20m or so should do it

I thought the same with Shaw too - I figured we probably wouldn't find anyone as good, but as long as they were solid defensively and could at least get forward now and again, we'd be ok. As it happens, Bertrand has surpassed all expectations and has actually improved the team!

It's not unique to us. Clubs send out feelers to players well before the season ends to line up summer moves. The process of recruiting is very long. It feels like it has happened more to us because we have players that bigger clubs want, that's all. In a way we're a victim of our own success in that respect, but it is far better than the alternative of not having clubs interested in our players.

When you learn that Luke Shaw is on a six figure weekly wage at one of the biggest clubs in the world then I can imagine why Clyne's head has been turned. I haven't seen any lack of effort from him for us, though his form has been off (he's not the only one in recent months either, though).

Sure, but all I'm saying is that there are ways of doing it. All I need say is - Danny Ings. Do you hear him saying what Morgan and Clyne have been saying to the press about CL and trophies? No (at least I think not, but stand to be corrected). We all know that he isn't going to be at Burnley next season. He's doing it the right way. Maybe behind the scenes things are different, maybe they're not, but he is at the very least treating the supporters with respect by giving his all to Burnley and not talking about next season.

Maybe I am of an age where I expect a higher standard. You say it's not unique to us, others say it's modern footballers, etc etc, but that really doesn't excuse poor behaviour. OK, Clyne has been relatively quiet until recently and Morgan has been far worse all season. It is just a common courtesy to your employers and, with football being a little different from other businesses, the supporters that you give your all, or the appearance, to the team. But the pursuit of (obscene amounts of) money and manners aren't easy bedfellows.

"Manners are the basic building blocks of civil society" - Alexander McCall Smith, but then football is wholly detached from society, civil or otherwise, which is a sad indictment of so much money swilling around. Or on a personal level, as von Goethe stated, "a man's manners are a mirror in which he shows his portrait". Disappointing from certain players.