Nathaniel Clyne Joins Liverpool - Official

Saint Garrett

What we need to do to avoid all this is to fill our team with foreign players, it,s worked well for Newcastle.

I am confident that Newcastle's problem is not foreign players. After all, they had lots of foreign players when they finished 5th. And Chelsea has lots of foreign players right now.

I did think on that previously but they can afford Lukaku's wages and Baines wages, I don't know what they are but I would of thought they'd be above 60k a week easily ?

According to the most recent FM 2015 database, these are the weekly salaries in thousands of pounds:

Lukaku 80

Baines 70

Barry 60

Lennon 55

McGready 50

Pienaar 50

Jagielka 50

Distin 45

McCarthy 40

Kone 40

Barkley 40

Mirallas 40

Osman 40

That is probably far enough. It seems they pay more than we do at the high end, but not so much that we cannot compete. I would guess they put more money into player salaries at the expense of something else--youth development maybe?

Jake Cohen, who blogs about Chelsea, posted an interesting blog on the subject of players not signing contract extensions.

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2015/4/1/8325609/top-footballers-shouldnt-sign-long-term-deals

All makes sense, but under the FFP salary cap rules would clubs be able to offer those mega salaries when picking up the players for nothing?

Have noticed a drop off in form for Clyne since his latest England call ups but today was just embarrassing. He seemed like a player who didn't want to get injured ahead of a big money move. Constantly stood off players and seemed totally uninterested until the final 10 when he got a bit more interested.

If he is going to go, sack him off now and get one of the youngsters in, at least they would play with some heart and commitment.

Expect this to speed up this week as according to RK, we should get the answer about the contract this week.

Thought we had already received our answer and he refused a new contract have we made an improved bid? Either way he isn't going to stay in my opinion

You could see on his face yesterday that hes no longer a saint, his mind was already at his new club

I believe that's called "projection".

The whole team were awful yesterday. Maybe every single one of them wants out? #meltdown

You do have to wonder whether all the contract/transfer speculation regarding Clyne, Wanyama and Morgan has demoralised the team either that or they have simply ran out of steam. I would say Wanyama has looked like his mind is elsewhere since that Arsenal talk surfaced. Fair play to Morgan who has maintained standards throughout even though plainly obvious he sees his future elsewhere.

You do have to wonder whether all the contract/transfer speculation regarding Clyne, Wanyama and Morgan has demoralised the team either that or they have simply ran out of steam. I would say Wanyama has looked like his mind is elsewhere since that Arsenal talk surfaced.

Fair play to Morgan who has maintained standards throughout even though plainly obvious he sees his future elsewhere.

it all looks good when everything is going OK, but if this is the best they can do, then we should seriously consider " new faces ", take the money and run.....

Despite all the nice comments, I expect Clyne to go. £18 million sounds like daylight robbery, but with a year on his contract he should go. Next year he can walk away for £0. :scared:

If Schneiderlin was unhappy last summer, he won't feel any better this summer and at 26 ......his boat (and valuation) will sink next year.

Yes everyone says great things about Wanyama...but where is " the player " we saw at the beginning of the season?....He looks only a shadow of his former self.

Edited by david in sweden

Both Wanyama and Clyne look their minds are elsewhere at the moment. Disappointing from such key players.

True, but ambition exists everywhere, but if they want much more than just " a place on richer club's bench " they should consider the moves made by last summer's " defectors " and realise that the grass is not always greener than that at SMS. For those who are disatisfied, the best we can say is Thank you... and goodbye.

A new crop of ambitious players (from the Academy.... or the Continent) will appear with a greater enthusiasm to better themselves.

Would not be disappointed to see Wanymana go .... overated & only looks to be playing well with Morgan at his side. Get £15 million & elevate Reed to the 1st team.

Would probably have agreed with you had I read this a year ago, this season he has been by and large fantastic though.

Morgan looks average at times without Wanyama,Reed looks like he has potential but at times he is like a headless chicken running around chasing everything,with more senior games he will curb that hopefully

Would not be disappointed to see Wanymana go .... overated & only looks to be playing well with Morgan at his side. Get £15 million & elevate Reed to the 1st team.

what a ridiculous statement. after a couple of bad games

L.Reed has got to take that! £18m for a player running his contract down! Buy Trippier for 6 to 8m and that is a cracking bit of business.

Yeah 18m all cash would be great........but lets get a bidding war going with Chelsea...... maybe 20m..........Byram from Leeds would be cheaper.....

I think he's underrated. We beat arsenal when he was playing without Morgan. Bizarre view.

Simon Peach @SimonPeach

Nathaniel Clyne's deadline to give #SaintsFC a decision on his future has passed, but I understand contract negotiations have reopened

Simon Peach @SimonPeach

Talks had stalled with Clyne so the reopening of negotiations positive for #SaintsFC. Interested to hear what Koeman says on Thursday.

So, is there a new deadline now? ;) - So basically, what I can kind of sort of extract from that is that he's given us his decision and he wants to stay, albeit with slightly altered terms.

To be fair, Utd and co have probably run a mile after his performances these past 6 weeks.

Simon Peach @SimonPeach

Nathaniel Clyne's deadline to give #SaintsFC a decision on his future has passed, but I understand contract negotiations have reopened

Simon Peach @SimonPeach

Talks had stalled with Clyne so the reopening of negotiations positive for #SaintsFC. Interested to hear what Koeman says on Thursday.

Something doesn't tally here, as so many have confirmed its a done deal with United?

Simon Peach @SimonPeach

Simon Peach @SimonPeach

Thought Koeman had previously said they have offered the maximum contract.

Give that nipper Bevis Mugabi a crack. He looks a bit handy.

Give him a crack....and then when it turns out that he's inevitably not ready...then what? :uhoh: Best to have experienced first-teamers players that can be supplanted if the talent below (I.e. youth players) exists, than start with untested youth players supported by mediocre backup (I.e. players who sign knowing they're backup).

Something doesn't tally here, as so many have confirmed its a done deal with United?

Probably agent posturing to keep interested clubs on their toes/force a firm bid for him even if his agent has already agreed something in principle with the likes of Utd.

Thought Koeman had previously said they have offered the maximum contract.

We shall see. If Utd are in for him, he'll leave.

If they (or any other champs league club) isn't in for him, he'll probably sign a contract with us.

Playing Devil's advocate, if (on the small chance) he does sign, what affect will this have on Schneiderlin, if any? Would it create the possibility of a future in which he would stay? I.e. would the perception of maintaining a cohesive unit, and adding to said unit (rather than reducing/maintaining status quo) be enough?

Expect us to make maximum effort on Clyne, he's a young player and we'd owe Crystal Palace a bit, we have no evident replacement and are there all that many competent right backs about . Form has fallen away a bit of late so perhaps Utd won't be all that interested, perhaps they'll go for Trippier instead or Van Der Wiel or Aurier or one of the others we're linked with from time to time. Can't see many other 'top' clubs in the market for a right back just now.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Expect us to make maximum effort on Clyne, he's a young player and we'd owe Crystal Palace a bit, we have no evident replacement and are there all that many competent right backs about . Form has fallen away a bit of late so perhaps Utd won't be all that interested, perhaps they'll go for Trippier instead or Van Der Wiel or Aurier or one of the others we're linked with from time to time. Can't see many other 'top' clubs in the market for a right back just now.

Do you think he'll (re)sign? (on an instinctive/gut-level)

Do you think he'll (re)sign? (on an instinctive/gut-level)

I think he might actually but that's only because I can't see any of the really big name sides being interested in the player that I've seen for the last few games. We'll have to make an effort on money though.

ALVES CLOSE TO MAN UTD DEAL?

Manchester United are very close to confirming a deal for Barcelona right-back Dani Alves, according to Catalan newspaper Sport.

The paper report that the player will snub Barca after United offered him a contract that was ‘far superior’ to the one on the table from the Spanish club.

The 32-year-old is available on a free transfer as his contract at the Nou Camp expires this summer.