Nigel Pearson has got a problem

whelk

Nothing 'stupid' about that question at all, as long as a person understands English. Improving or on the decline, seems clear enough but Pearson was being aggressive at any questions asked. Can't see him lasting in the job much longer but Saints' fans should look at that and see some indication of why he wasn't kept on at St Mary's.

You have got to be kidding me? NP was unceremoniously booted out of the club because old Rupey finally had the chance to implement his "continental" style with two coaches who apparently cost a lot less to employ. Which all ended well as we can all remember...

He did a good job for us at a time when our squad was in shocking shape. He didn't deserve to get the boot, but at the end of the day things have worked out well for us in the meantime.

As for this interview the other day, I think he over-reacted to begin with, but the waxing/waning question was absolute nonsense. I mean, what the hell was the guy trying to get at? What manager is going to go "Yeah, you're right mate, we're actually getting worse with every game we play." Idiotic question.

You have got to be kidding me? NP was unceremoniously booted out of the club because old Rupey finally had the chance to implement his "continental" style with two coaches who apparently cost a lot less to employ. Which all ended well as we can all remember...

He did a good job for us at a time when our squad was in shocking shape. He didn't deserve to get the boot, but at the end of the day things have worked out well for us in the meantime.

As for this interview the other day, I think he over-reacted to begin with, but the waxing/waning question was absolute nonsense. I mean, what the hell was the guy trying to get at? What manager is going to go "Yeah, you're right mate, we're actually getting worse with every game we play." Idiotic question.

Certainly an interesting take on the situation at the time but I'll bet you're glad now that we were not saddled with a brainless, charmless, witless thug otherwise what sort of football would we be watching now?

Certainly an interesting take on the situation at the time but I'll bet you're glad now that we were not saddled with a brainless, charmless, witless thug otherwise what sort of football would we be watching now?

Pearson was average at Saints... he is dire at Leicester and clearly not capable of being a Premier League manager with all that entails... I can see him managing ( probably very well ) a DIV1 side with 6 months.

Nothing 'stupid' about that question at all, as long as a person understands English. Improving or on the decline, seems clear enough

.....but Pearson was being aggressive at any questions asked.

Can't see him lasting in the job much longer but Saints' fans should look at that and see some indication of why he wasn't kept on at St Mary's.

1- A very poetic phrasing, but he knew a negative answer would probably have got him the sack sooner rather than later.....

2- ...... of course we don't know all the other questions that he was asked before that one...

3- at least he managed to keep us up that season, but perhaps " his straight-talking, rough Northern manner" didn't suit Rupert Lowe & Co. .... as it was their replacement didn't manage to do that. He's not be the ideal Saints'-type manager, but I have a sneaky admiration for the fellow who has got the shi**y end of the stick.

Note: Leicester were a good side in a rather mediocre league last season and thus did well enough to get up.

What they didn't realise was ..(as with Saints' promotion to the Prem.) was that most of last season's players simply weren't good enough for the top echelon.

Same goes for QPR and Burnley. Villa and Sunderland stayed up last season because there were 3 teams worse than them, and it maybe the same story this season.

IF Leicester had any money, they didn't spend much of it ...and what they did clearly went on players who weren't good enough either.

Let's face it ....at one stage we were looking like relegation certainties in our first year back up in the Prem..

I wonder what Gordon Strachan might have said had he been posed the same question..(?) :rolleyes:

Edited by david in sweden

Pearson at Saints..

Managed 14

Won 3

Drew 7

Lost 4

Win ration 21.43%

Still the replacements didn't do any better!

I think that put us about 13th in the form table from memory. Pretty decent I thought considering he had no time, no money and took over a club in free fall.

I think that put us about 13th in the form table from memory. Pretty decent I thought considering he had no time, no money and took over a club in free fall.

That's pretty much how I remember it. He was brought in with a specific brief, and he did it.

Looking at him now, I would say we dodged a bullet there. I thought at the time he should have been given a chance at the job. Not so sure now.

Pray tell what should be asked? It is a game of football. Only so much can be asked.

I think that's a little harsh. Are you really saying that the the Q's like 'was that a point gained or two points dropped' can't be freshened up a little? I hate how generic the questions are these days.

I find the leading questions journalists ask these days are only intended to get the same dull answer.

No idea why there's not more analysis/creativity in the pre/post match questions

16 points from 14 games. If you took that ratio over a 38 game PL season (yes, I know we weren't in PL) that would give 43 points.

• 1 month later...
16 points from 14 games. If you took that ratio over a 38 game PL season (yes, I know we weren't in PL) that would give 43 points.

I'm not sure I get your point. We were 13th in the form table over the course of Pearson's tenure.

For what it's worth, 43 points was good for 12th in the Prem the last 2 seasons.

Not a surprise, some of the questions that are asked in these press conferences are pretty banal, the one the other day asking if he was going to play a weakened team against Chelsea deserved the response it got. Half the blokes in the room got moist at him alledgedly being sacked, it was column inches from heaven, tapped out their 5 penneth worth then had to back track.

To me he seems like an intelligent chap with very little patience, who has no time for the football media circus and the inane clap trap that it spews out more often than not, don't think he has much patience for cobblers in general. What makes him slightly quirky is that he considers what he says almost in an effort to avoid what he says wasting another 5 minutes of his life with the question that his answer might provoke.

Think his no nonsense demeanour probably went a long way towards bucking the players ideas up and saving us from relegation in the short number of games he was manager for.

Not a surprise, some of the questions that are asked in these press conferences are pretty banal, the one the other day asking if he was going to play a weakened team against Chelsea deserved the response it got. Half the blokes in the room got moist at him alledgedly being sacked, it was column inches from heaven, tapped out their 5 penneth worth then had to back track.

To me he seems like an intelligent chap with very little patience, who has no time for the football media circus and the inane clap trap that it spews out more often than not, don't think he has much patience for cobblers in general. What makes him slightly quirky is that he considers what he says almost in an effort to avoid what he says wasting another 5 minutes of his life with the question that his answer might provoke.

Think his no nonsense demeanour probably went a long way towards bucking the players ideas up and saving us from relegation in the short number of games he was manager for.

I'm sorry but this was uncalled for. Sure he faces silly questions - all managers do. But this time it was a perfectly valid question, and not all managers act so boorishly as he does most of the time.

Pearson: The bottom line is what has given us a chance to survive has been the collective spirit we have. To win four games on the spin at any level, but certainly at Premier League level, is difficult and for the players to have to deal with the amount of criticism and negativity they’ve had to endure over the course of the season has tested us. Without wanting to talk too much, the players come out with awful lot of credit for dealing with setbacks and I expect them to deal with tonight’s setback as well.

Baker: What criticism are you talking about?

Pearson: Have you been on holiday for six months? Have you been away for six months?

I am not quite sure what specific criticism you are referring to?

I think you must have been either head in the clouds or away on holiday or reporting on a different team because if you don’t know the answer to that question your question is absolutely unbelievable the fact you do not understand where I am coming from. If you don’t know the answer to that question then I think you are an ostrich. Your head must be in the sand. Is your head in the sand? Are you flexible enough to get your head in the sand? My suspicion would be no.

Probably not.

I can, you can’t. You can’t. Listen you have been here often enough and for you to ask that question, you are either being very, very silly or you are being absolutely stupid, one of the two because for you to ask that question, I am sorry son, you are daft.

There hasn’t been much harsh criticism of the players.

You are wrong. No, you are wrong. You have been in here, I know you have so don’t give that crap with me, please don’t give that crap with me. I will smile at you because I can afford to smile at you. Now do you want to ask a different question or do you want to ask it differently. Come on, ask it. Ask it or are you not capable?

I just don’t know what you, erm…

You don’t know. What’s erm?

I don’t know how you’ve taken that question.

Well you must be very stupid. I’m sorry.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3061619/Nigel-Pearson-bizarre-rant-calls-journalist-OSTRICH-Leicester-s-defeat-Chelsea.html

Have Leicester been heavily criticised? Not that I pay huge attention, but I thought that the general reporting was that they play better than the results suggest.

Danny Kelly on Talksport nailed it for me. Pearson has tried to deflect criticism of himself as a manager, of which there has been plenty, as criticism of the players, of which there's been very little. Whether he's done that deliberately or there's just been a misunderstanding, I don't know.

Danny Kelly on Talksport nailed it for me. Pearson has tried to deflect criticism of himself as a manager, of which there has been plenty, as criticism of the players, of which there's been very little. Whether he's done that deliberately or there's just been a misunderstanding, I don't know.

They was saying that Pearson should be forced to apologise, and I was v.angar at the radio, I almost phoned in, cos Pearson quite clearly already apologised! It was the very last thing he said! "Well you must be very stupid. I’m sorry."

He is one charmless c*nt tho tbf :thumbup:

I m not that bothered if a manager decides to have a pop at the press - the journos think that that can say what they like with impunity, so if a manager gets fed up with it surely he should be entitled to have a go back

Admittedly there are better ways of doing it eg the Strachan way

I m not that bothered if a manager decides to have a pop at the press - the journos think that that can say what they like with impunity, so if a manager gets fed up with it surely he should be entitled to have a go back

No the guy is a knob imo. The press can't just write stuff based on what they feel or have picked up over the previous 6 months as Pearson says they should. They need him to answer questions and give quotes so the story is balanced and substantiated, otherwise they would accused of making it all up.

Edited by buctootim

The thing is, Pearson basically said I won't have any criticism of my team. The journo said, what criticism is that? Then off he went.

Dude is weird.

He creates a seige mentality very well and takes a no nonsense "stand up and be counted" approach for the club which rubs off on the players.

It is all just a media circus to him, which he uses to his advantage. I doubt he gives a feck and very clearly has the support of the board.

If he keeps Leicester up then he'll be laughing all day long, and rightly so.

Pearson has completely lost the plot this season. He's just like I'd be if I were in his situation, getting all stressed out with interviewers and arguing back at minor points of criticism. I'd be a terrible manager for those reasons. He needs a cool head which he has seemingly lost. Perhaps Lovren can help him find it.

Pearson has completely lost the plot this season. He's just like I'd be if I were in his situation, getting all stressed out with interviewers and arguing back at minor points of criticism. I'd be a terrible manager for those reasons. He needs a cool head which he has seemingly lost. Perhaps Lovren can help him find it.

Sorry but I wholeheartedly disagree with that. To me comes across as just a straight-talking, no-nonsense northerner who doesn't suffer fools easily, but is unfortunately compelled to deal with them on a regular basis in the form of egotistical journos looking for sensationalist headlines by asking moronic leading questions.

Sorry but I wholeheartedly disagree with that. To me comes across as just a straight-talking, no-nonsense northerner who doesn't suffer fools easily, but is unfortunately compelled to deal with them on a regular basis in the form of egotistical journos looking for sensationalist headlines by asking moronic leading questions.

Just look what he did to that Palace player. MacArthur? Not sure his name, think he used to play for Wigan. That proves there's something wrong with Pearson this season.

The journos asking questions you could have a point, but that incident with the fella on the touchline, combined with his incredibly bizarre interviews lead me only to that conclusion.

I like pearson. how the hell can you keep putting up with moron journo's at press conferences like managers do

fergie used to just ban many of them...but he was allowed to do that

It's part of the job. It's part of what they're paid for. As would be the case in any high profile media related job. Koeman treats the press in a professional way, and it gives punters the sense of a club in control.

You wonder how far Brian Clough would have got in the media age, you would like to think he would have done equally as well if he had been able to tolerate the goldfish bowl all of PL football has become but no guarantee he would have been prepared to play their game. I don't have a problem with NP being rude to journalists, it just looks poor on him and his club but if it gets the job done then he's entitled to say he's done it his way. I guess his fans would see it differently to how others see it as outsiders, not sure WGS is half as funny as we all thought he was at the time. He could also come over as quite boorish and borderline rude to journo's but we all lapped it up, I'm sure others didn't find him half as funny as we did.

NP was also a very good manager for us, he got the job done with a minimum of fuss and he would likely have carried that on if we had appointed him the next season.

You wonder how far Brian Clough would have got in the media age, you would like to think he would have done equally as well if he had been able to tolerate the goldfish bowl all of PL football has become but no guarantee he would have been prepared to play their game. I don't have a problem with NP being rude to journalists, it just looks poor on him and his club but if it gets the job done then he's entitled to say he's done it his way. I guess his fans would see it differently to how others see it as outsiders, not sure WGS is half as funny as we all thought he was at the time. He could also come over as quite boorish and borderline rude to journo's but we all lapped it up, I'm sure others didn't find him half as funny as we did.

NP was also a very good manager for us, he got the job done with a minimum of fuss and he would likely have carried that on if we had appointed him the next season.

Clough loved the media, and the media loved him. He was widely popular precisely because he gave opinions and drove media, and you could get away with a lot more - though even he got hammered for punching a fan who invaded the pitch.

The nearest thing nowadays is Bloody Redknapp, who gets media work precisely because he's not a Football Media Training Automaton. Though obviously for us lot it's hard to see that a lot of idiots out there actually like him despite his self-parody Old School rentaquotes. He's like the Farage of football, find the lowest common denominator and appeal to their stupidity with basic platitudes and down-to-earth language to try to come across as popular.

As for Pearson, did a great job keeping us up in very difficult circumstances, but is clearly suffering from the media spotlight and coming across as a not-so-passive aggressive thug rather than the "respected hard man" I suspect he thinks he's conveying. We're above and beyond what he can offer us now.

Edited by The9

Just look what he did to that Palace player. MacArthur? Not sure his name, think he used to play for Wigan. That proves there's something wrong with Pearson this season.

The journos asking questions you could have a point, but that incident with the fella on the touchline, combined with his incredibly bizarre interviews lead me only to that conclusion.

This.

He lost the plot long ago, when he grabbed that player by the throat. That in itself should have merited a sacking, imho.

I like Pearson. I hope he keeps them up, but it looks like he needs a break from the game for his own sanity.

I'm not sure how managers are able to do these post-match interviews and press conferences sometimes. I'm p1ssed off enough as a fan if we've lost, and am usually in a foul mood for an hour or so afterwards. Have no idea how I could face a mass interrogation after a defeat.

I like pearson. how the hell can you keep putting up with moron journo's at press conferences like managers do

fergie used to just ban many of them...but he was allowed to do that

Looks pretty stupid defending him now he has acknowledged he was way out order.

It wasn't a moronic comment it was valid. What is moronic blinkered fans accusing all the press of being morons.

Fergie was a bully.

Anyway the apology seemed genuine and enough vouch for him being a decent bloke. Just can't handled the media it would seem

Today's chastened, passive-aggressive instalment

[video=youtube;s-szdvFAJ3E]

talking about his very tit-for-tat on the radio just now. Many of the journo's in the room felt this was goading by the reporter and NP batted it off well.

Edited by Batman

talking about his very tit-for-tat on the radio just now. Many of the journo's in the room felt this was goading and NP batted it off well.

Murphy's a windbag at the best of times and knew NP would be on the back foot, so yeh I thought he handled it pretty well.

talking about his very tit-for-tat on the radio just now. Many of the journo's in the room felt this was goading by the reporter and NP batted it off well.

Murphy was trying to provoke him. Uncomfortable viewing. The bloke lost it again yesterday. He apologised. That should have been the end of it.

In two minds about Murphy. On the one hand he went there to troll. But he went there because he obviously took exception to NP's bullying of a (very) junior colleague and felt that someone needed to tell him a few home truths. The thing is, that NP gets away with it, because if a journo stands up to him, then he isn't "invited" back to the press conferences and his/her career gets hammered.