Post-Match Reaction: Stoke City 2-1 SAINTS

Saint-Armstrong

Adam Blackmore @bigadamsport

#saintsfc boss Ronald Koeman just confirmed to me that @AlderweireldTob dislocated his shoulder. was put back in place - early sign positive

BBC Solent Sport @solentsport

REACTION: #saintsfc boss Ronald Koeman speaks to @bigadamsport after 2-1 defeat at Stoke https://audioboom.com/boos/3097705-reaction-saintsfc-boss-ronald-koeman-speaks-to-bigadamsport-after-2-1-defeat-at-stoke

Given how almost everyone on here thinks boruc did no wrong here last season it's only fair to give Davis the same benefit surely

I thought that sliced cross was sailing into row Z, was amazed to see it come down and hit the bar. I'm sure plenty will blame KD, but it looked to me a bit like the begovic goal last season; one of those things you can't legislate for.

Also, wtf was happening with the surface?? I can't remember the last prem game I saw where so many of our players were losing their footing and so many passes went wildly astray. That late chance for stoke saw Yoshi and Fonte (I think?) both slip over trying to intercept, and that was happening all game.

Another shocking performance from Steven Davis unfortunately.

Preach brother preach.

All I want for next season is an AM who scores goals.

Phrases like "good work" "unseen job" are phrases to describe someone who cannot score a goal, something which is the basic function of their job.

In no particular order of random AM's we could afford in fee and wages:

Winjaldum

Vilhena

Myer (Schalke)

Piazon

Just to name a few.

Also, wtf was happening with the surface?? I can't remember the last prem game I saw where so many of our players were losing their footing and so many passes went wildly astray. That late chance for stoke saw Yoshi and Fonte (I think?) both slip over trying to intercept, and that was happening all game.

Has to be those ridiculous bright orange/yellow boots

Very unhappy. We really should have got at least 1 point. We should have put the game to bed.

1st stoke goal was f***ing luck, misjudged by kelvin but still really lucky. Not much to say about the second.

I like pelle but I think he needs a break.

Now on to tadic. posted that I wanted him to start, he was good against hull. Today- woeful. Really didn't impact the game, not creative and gave away possession. That miss was shocking, my gran could have done better.

Mane was good imo.

We need to freshen up the squad and the players need a summer holiday.

WE MARCH ON

Pelle gave the ball away too much which left us under too much pressure, Tadic was poor, he is too inconsistent.

Koeman takes blame for todays defeat, he could of done more to win or draw the game by brining on Long and Elia about 10-15 minutes before he did.

What's happened to filip djuricic? have i missed something? think he's a better option than Elia on the bench

He's injured. And he hasn't shown anything to suggest he's a better option than anyone, to be honest.

I think, hope, that both loanies are sent back pretty sharpish once the season ends.

Don't post much but we were comfortable today first half, Stoke caused us no problems. It's seems we play too much in front of the opposition these days whether that is down to them finding us out and defending deep I don't know. Early second goal killed us and we couldn't respond. The only thing I could take away from the game was that Schneiderlin is too good for us it is ridiculous. When he leaves next season be interesting to see how we cope

I don't mind losing to a better team on the day.Stoke were not the better team.As so many times in the recent past the Referee lost us the match.Clattenberg was abysmal.How the hell we got four yellows and Stoke none will remain a mystery.From our lofty position in the away end we saw foul after foul by Stoke and no bookings. They only had to fall over and out came a yellow against us.Pelle was obstructed,wrestled,elbowed and kicked but neither the Ref or the Lino on our side saw anything.Roll on next Saturday when I sincerely hope we can give Spuds their cum-uppence.With a neutral Ref we can actually win a match.

Had we had a natural goalscorer within our ranks then I feel we could still be in with a shout of the Champions League but as it is we have a midfield that, by and large, couldn't hit the proverbial cows arse and a forward line (Pelle, Long, Mane) that blow hot and cold when it comes to sticking the ball in the net.

Didn't our defender head it which played him onside ?

That only counts if it is a deliberate back pass. Crouch was offside when the original ball was played and therefore should have been flagged when he became 'active'.

That goal was just an absolute slapstick though. Fonte should have left it for a g/k and I can only assume wasn't aware of the players around him and didn't get a call. He should have booted it into the stands, rather than the tame clearance 20 yards to a Stoke defender. Then Crouch was offside and it wasn't give, everyone watched the ball, nobody picked up Mane and Davis really should have saved the shot. I know he always gets beaten low at the near post but this was chest height and almost in the middle of the goal.

Been back a while.

Thought Pelle, Mane, Davis & in particular Tadic were poor today.

Think Koeman got the formation wrong. They had 5 in midfield & if it were not for the outstanding Morgan we would have been beaten worse.

I said in the pre match thread I thought Reed would have been perfect for this game.

The worst of the lot................Clattenburg!

Have we ever won when he has refereed?

How did we get 4 bookings & them none at all?

The inconsistency is amazing.

Very disappointed..................

Just so ineffective upfront. Even if we had a 3 v 1 situation in attack I still wouldn't feel confident that we'd put the ball in the net. Great season and all that, but we need some genuine firepower up top.

If we had just one decent striker then it really would have been a great season. Pelle was a gamble that did not pay off and Long was and still is only a six goal a season striker. What a pity.

Incredible really.

They are thuggish but because it's the whole team doing it they seem to get away with it, rather than having a Keane/Barton/Costa character.

stoke are still very much stoke. They're very, very good with what they do and are well versed on how they want to play and what's gets results. One aspect of that is being physical, but knowing just what they can and cannot get away with.

Incredible really.

They are thuggish but because it's the whole team doing it they seem to get away with it, rather than having a Keane/Barton/Costa character.

stoke are still very much stoke. They're very, very good with what they do and are well versed on how they want to play and what's gets results. One aspect of that is being physical, but knowing just what they can and cannot get away with.

3 away games against mid table teams:

Lets see how everyone else did against those teams:

Arsenal WBA EVE STO

3 1 0

Man C 3 1 3

Man U 1 - 1

Liv - 1 -

Spur 3 - -

Saints 0 0 0

And that my friends is why we didn't qualify for the CL

Tbh, I thought we played a lot better than we did in the game against Hull. Should never have lost that match. Personally, I'd have Tadic on the bench from now on as he's complete powderpuff, brushed off the ball far to easily and doesn't work hard enough. Not Shane Long's greatest fan but at least he gives 100%.

Kudos to the fashion kid in front of me with the ginger 'fro and grey brushed cotton Nike 2 piece.

And the old bloke in the suit who spend 80 mins of the game asleep - ****ed presumably.

Thought JWP looked good for the first few minutes after he came on. Stoke fans were shockingly quiet for 85 mins.

I love how Steven Davis gets blamed.

Last season he often had 4 players and much more attacking-minded FBs to pass the ball to.

Now he has to figure out where to go with the ball as all he's got is an island of a striker in Pelle and two wingers who unless they're given 3000 miles ahead of them don't seem up for it.

Worse than that, unlike earlier in the season, our FBs don't seem to get that much involved in our attacks.

Yet this forum, much because he keeps JWP out of the side and got Cork out of the squad, has decided he is the reason Bloody Sunday happened.

If any player has been hard done by Koeman's tactics this year, and has had to put up with the most rubbish of jobs, it's Steven Davis.

Not that people like verlaine (Swansea not at their sharpest today eh?) or others who've decide he's the illness will see that.

After all, this is still the same forum that claimed Ramirez was a superstar and that Hooiveld was the only PL-worthy player of our promotion season defense.

I f*cking hate not winning games against Stoke.

I also f*cking hate Clattenburg who never gives Saints anything

However I can't complain about the season we have had, it's been fantastic.

And can't complain about Clattenburg because amongst a sea of big sweaty turds he is the least smelly.

Don't post much but we were comfortable today first half, Stoke caused us no problems. It's seems we play too much in front of the opposition these days whether that is down to them finding us out and defending deep I don't know. Early second goal killed us and we couldn't respond. The only thing I could take away from the game was that Schneiderlin is too good for us it is ridiculous. When he leaves next season be interesting to see how we cope

Very true and the reason for playing 'in front' of the opposition? Pelle's lack of movement...... How on earth Koeman persists with him week in week out is mystifying ...

Very true and the reason for playing 'in front' of the opposition? Pelle's lack of movement...... How on earth Koeman persists with him week in week out is mystifying ...

The movement (lack of) I can put up with but why when we find him with a ball does it have to bounce off him by about 2 feet. It's a similar role to the one Rickie played last season but Rickie would hold the ball well at his feet until someone came up to lay it off too. Pelle expects others to pick up sooner. Also, pelle's flick one rarely seem to find a Saints player. But that is how we are set up to play and little point in blaming Pelle. We should also be seeing a better support from midfield.