Summer Transfer Window 2015

Donatello

^ More on what Charlie said above.

VILLA CLOSE IN ON GUEYE

Midfielder Idrissa Gueye has agreed personal terms on a four-year deal at Aston Villa and will undergo a medical on Friday morning, according to Sky sources.

Sky sources reported on Thursday that Villa had agreed a £9million deal with Lille to sign the Senagalese and that he was on his way to Birmingham to finalise his transfer.

The 25-year-old has played more than 130 games for the French Ligue 1 side and was Lille's standout performer last term as the club finished 8th.

If the deal is completed, Villa will have paid their highest transfer in four years since the signing of Charles N'Zogbia from Wigan in 2011.

Some of the press reckon we've recently put a bid in for £1million more. Hard to know what to believe.

BREAKING NEWS

QPR have rejected a bid of £12m from Leicester for striker Charlie Austin, according to Sky sources. It is thought QPR will not let the striker leave for less than £15m.

Could be why we're not in the market for him.

maybe but lets be honest 15 million for Austin really isn't that bad a price in todays transfer market. We paid around that for Osvaldo and I know which one I'd want in a PL team.

No dispute about who I'd rather have but 15m is a huge sum of money, particularly given QPRs perilous financial position and undoubted need to cut costs (I read 195% of their turnover was spent on wages!)

maybe but lets be honest 15 million for Austin really isn't that bad a price in todays transfer market. We paid around that for Osvaldo and I know which one I'd want in a PL team.

We tend to pay around £12m for players, but the problem is I'm not sure the club have grasped that strikers are more expensive than other positions. If we want a step up from Pelle / Long we need to splash £15m to £20m imo (or find a great bargain)

WATFORD CLOSE ON SPURS PAIR

Watford have agreed a fee for Tottenham midfielder pair Etienne Capoue and Benjamin Stambouli, according to Sky sources.

However, the Hornets are yet to agree personal terms with the pair, although we understand Capoue is closer to agreeing terms than Stambouli.

WATFORD CLOSE ON SPURS PAIR

Watford have agreed a fee for Tottenham midfielder pair Etienne Capoue and Benjamin Stambouli, according to Sky sources.

However, the Hornets are yet to agree personal terms with the pair, although we understand Capoue is closer to agreeing terms than Stambouli.

Sums up Spurs for me this does. Buy up everyone and anyone on the off chance one may turn out good, but end up having tp off load them.

I'm starting to get concerned now. Toby and Clyne leaving with our strongest defensive midfielder out too. Half our defence has gone.

Hard to see how we can replace them. Really hard.

I wish we hadnt sold to Liverpool too.

Still, let's see what we do to rebuild this time. Part of me thinks we got lucky last summer. I hope we can achieve the same again this summer.

I've never heard of it! Had to google it to find out where it was :lol:

I've been there, it's southern Caribbean next to Aruba, although not been to the place Gingeletiss mentions, was with the missus and in-laws on holiday :-)

Kontiki is one of the best resorts there.

Feeling very underwhelmed at our efforts so far.

I think the net weakening of the squad this summer will be greater than last summer.

I think we're doing well so far - got decent looking players for two needs (right-back and striker / attacking midfielder). Goalkeeper on loan who looks like a good transfer given the circumstance too.

If we mess up the Toby deal and don't adequately replace, and / or if Morgan leaves and we don't replace him effectively enough then the first team is weaker on paper.

Feeling very underwhelmed at our efforts so far.

I think the net weakening of the squad this summer will be greater than last summer.

Why is it weakened......you haven't seen any of the replacements play.....you have written off JayRod then!!! Still Gashton is back just for you

Mods - I've got an idea for a new forum feature. It's working title is: "What Alps said on this day last year" and the idea is that every day during the transfer window we post what Alps said on this day last year (the more astute will have noticed the clue in the title).

As a pre-cursor to this idea receiving mod approval, I thought I'd dig out what Alps was saying this time last year (he didn't post on 7th July 2014 so, for illustration of how this might work, I've taken the liberty of retrieving his posts from 6th July instead.)

Let me know what you think. It could become quite a popular feature IMO.

alps01.JPG

alps02.JPG

alps03.JPG

alps04.JPG

(p.s. no offence alps me ol' mucker. Just a bit of fun. I'm easily amused :) )

I see Lee Barnard is trailing with Crawley Town. Being at saints really was the high point of his career wasn't it?

He did alright for us. At the start of our 2nd L1 season, he was pivotal for us I thought. Scored massive goals away at Wednesday and the goal against MK Don's etc. He didn't get a chance in the NPC, maybe he simply wasn't up to that level. But he did a job when we needed him to do one for us. An important signing in the 'journey', just as Antonio/Hammond were.

He did alright for us. At the start of our 2nd L1 season, he was pivotal for us I thought. Scored massive goals away at Wednesday and the goal against MK Don's etc. He didn't get a chance in the NPC, maybe he simply wasn't up to that level. But he did a job when we needed him to do one for us. An important signing in the 'journey', just as Antonio/Hammond were.

I don't think the whole court case thing helped disrupted things just when he need to be focused to step up a level in the championship. Always thought he was good enough to push on more than he has since he left us. I guess sitting on his contract with us and not playing regularly through what should have been his best years had an effect but in hindsight the way his career has gone wringing every penny out of his saints contract was probably sensible.

Always liked the bloke though that goal against the MK Dons will live long in the memory.

Cabaye mulls over Crystal Palace move after deal agreed with PSG

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/07/yohan-cabaye-crystal-palace-psg?CMP=share_btn_tw

Palace apparently going for a strategy of adding 3 class players this window rather than building a big squad like WBA seem to want to.

Good idea IMO and similar to what we did with Lovren, Osvaldo and Wanyama. Whilst one out of three didnt work, its better than signing lots of average players like James McClean.

He is a bit of a **** tbh, a bit full of himself. But yes, agreed, nice to see them getting a bit of the treatment. Karma is strong.

But you do have to wonder about all this in the media, half of it is trash or OTT trash - imo.