Transfer update on Clyne, Schneiderlin and transfer priorities

Saint-Armstrong

Let's for the sake of argument compare him signing a new saints contract to a Liverpool one , let's say 4 years . Forget the money , you said career wise.

In 4 years will he play in champions league for Liverpool ? Maybe, proberly not. Saints? Absolutely no chance whatsoever .

Will he win a cup or two at Liverpool , quite a good chance of that. Maybe even the Europa league , with us? Unlikely

Will we finish above Liverpool durian ing those 4 years ? Doubt it, when was the last time this happened.

Will England pick him more if he plays for Liverpool ? There's a number of posts saying yes, but we really don't know . I'd edge towards yes .

In those 4 years will Brenda and Ron still be manager of both clubs , highly unlikely . Which sort of manager will Liverpool attract compared to us. Klopp maybe, Rafa again, would managers of that ilk come to saints?

I'm prepared to be persuaded otherwise , but in what way will his career not be improved by swapping Southampton for Liverpool . The only benefit I can see from him not doing so is that maybe a top 4 club will come in for him this time next year. So why on earth would signing a new contract be better for his career than not signing one, or leaving for Liverpool ? Maybe his career will stall at Liverpool , but it could stall for us . Whose to say Lovren wouldn't have been shiete for us this year , there were signs at spurs and Sunderland that he had a rickett in him. I'm not anti saints, I love the club . But if He was my nipper and a top 4 club didn't want him , Liverpool would be my choice over saints for his career.

Sensible post and agree what you say but the one thing you missed is he is likely to get much more play time at Saints. It's this that has raised his ability and visibility

Not delusion at all. They are a bigger club for there history, but only finished one place above the measly saints in a season that was probably there best chance of a title. They don't even have Champions league this season. Like mentioned above they are a club on a decline, then the heights they once reached and without Suarez it's really showing. The other 3 defectors also had a very un-achieving season footballing wise and if they doesn't show anything then I don't know what else to say. James Milner on the other hand is leaving so he can be appreciated more and get first team football.

Deluded.

Let's for the sake of argument compare him signing a new saints contract to a Liverpool one , let's say 4 years . Forget the money , you said career wise.

In 4 years will he play in champions league for Liverpool ? Maybe, proberly not. Saints? Absolutely no chance whatsoever .

Will he win a cup or two at Liverpool , quite a good chance of that. Maybe even the Europa league , with us? Unlikely

Will we finish above Liverpool durian ing those 4 years ? Doubt it, when was the last time this happened.

Will England pick him more if he plays for Liverpool ? There's a number of posts saying yes, but we really don't know . I'd edge towards yes .

In those 4 years will Brenda and Ron still be manager of both clubs , highly unlikely . Which sort of manager will Liverpool attract compared to us. Klopp maybe, Rafa again, would managers of that ilk come to saints?

I'm prepared to be persuaded otherwise , but in what way will his career not be improved by swapping Southampton for Liverpool . The only benefit I can see from him not doing so is that maybe a top 4 club will come in for him this time next year. So why on earth would signing a new contract be better for his career than not signing one, or leaving for Liverpool ? Maybe his career will stall at Liverpool , but it could stall for us . Whose to say Lovren wouldn't have been shiete for us this year , there were signs at spurs and Sunderland that he had a rickett in him. I'm not anti saints, I love the club . But if He was my nipper and a top 4 club didn't want him , Liverpool would be my choice over saints for his career.

Not deluded. Spot on.

Liverpool will be fighting for 5-8th next season, just like we will be.

So if he goes, well good luck but see you later. at this point in time with the way saints are travelling and the way Liverpool are travelling, its a sideways move. although admittedly probably with a 20k per week pay rise.

If Liverpool finish eighth this season Rodgers will be sacked and deemed a complete failure.

If Saints finish eighth this season Koeman will cement himself as one of our most popular and successful managers of all time.

But yeah, sideways move.

If Saints finish eighth this season Koeman will cement himself as one of our most popular and successful managers of all time.

If Saints finish 8th this season, it will be the first time in six consecutive seasons that we haven't improved on the previous league position.

If Liverpool finish eighth this season Rodgers will be sacked and deemed a complete failure.

But yeah, sideways move.

i agree on both points.

I hope Liverpool finish 8th. and to be honest, unless they pull a rabbit out of the hat, with the signings they have made i definitely cannot see them cracking top 4, if anything the gulf seems to be widening?

be interesting if Clyne would stay at Saints if they were to match whatever he was offered elsewhere.... I guess we will never know

Did anyone say Liverpool is a sideways move?

Or just not currently as a big positive step as going to one of the top sides?

Liverpool's last 4 league finishes, without Suarez (oldest first)

7th

6th

8th

7th

Nice steady average of 7th, where we are.

Last season we were only 2 points (from memory) or an appalling ref display behind them.

Seeing how they finished, Roger's delusion, Gerrard and Sterlings departures, their recent transfer record / deteriorating players, our last summer compared to this ..I would hope we overtake them next season

If Saints finish 8th this season, it will be the first time in six consecutive seasons that we haven't improved on the previous league position.

When was the last time Liverpool finished below us?

People also seem to be overlooking players natural ego and confidence . You have to have absolute 100% belief to be a top flight player. These guys (and this is no criticism of NC) believe theyre the best. NC won't be sat there thinking " no chance of Liverpool making top 4 , I won't sign" . In his head he'll believe a couple of signings as good as him and we'll crack it. He'll convince himself he's the final piece in the jigsaw. Add to that Brenda will be telling him how good he is, how he will fit in, and how close they are to the top 4 and NC can really make the difference . These guys don't do self doubt, they cant do they'd get eaten alive at the top level .

7th

6th

8th

7th

Last season we were only 2 points (from memory) or an appalling ref display behind them.

Seeing how they finished, Roger's delusion, Gerrard and Sterlings departures, their recent transfer record / deteriorating players, our last summer compared to this ..I would hope we overtake them next season

Liverpool's league record without Suarez is, most recent backwards

6th

7th

4th

3rd

3rd

Really not sure how arbitrarily removing one player makes any sense whatsoever but if you are going to, at least do it accurately.

Edited by CB Fry

if we finish 8th, people will be patting themselves on the back and saying how wonderful we are and how we CAN qualify for the champions league etc

if Liverpool finish 8th we will all be laughing, rogers will be sacked and we will say he is a chump

as for clyne. His profile will be enhanced massively with a move to liverpool, he will probably find himself a starter for england (where he certainly is not at the mo) and of course, LOTS more money with a greater chance of winning something

Edited by Batman

6th

7th

4th

3rd

3rd

Really not sure how arbitrarily removing one player makes any sense whatsoever but if you are going to, at least do it accurately.

I guess it might be because Brenda constantly bemoaned losing one player and how hard it was to replace him.

6th

7th

4th

3rd

3rd

Really don't get your strange views, looking for nonexistent arguments with every post.

My point, maybe made with little ambiguity, but sure all other posters with more than half a brain got the point..

Apart from the season when Suarez single handedly pushed them several places higher, (season before last) their last 4 seasons have averaged 7th.

Not sure who you are arguing with who thinks we are as 'big'?

Think every poster will agree they have miles more history, support, prestige, publicity, money etc etc.

However, think most will have some thoughts of ..if we were in chaos last season, tipped for relegation, posters mocked for saying club aiming for Europe still ;) and we finished two points below, we should have chance of being higher next season.

Loads to do, so have a good day

At Southampton a player has the opportunity to do something extraordinary...to make history. At a club like Liverpool you need to be an extraordinary player to stand out from the crowd and really achieve. Liverpool are most definately not in an upwards trajectory - Clyne, like Lallana will find his bank balance is nice, but his relative value will diminish.

Clyne almost had a Lovren-esque half a decent season last year, started well and then tailed off a bit. I wonder if that's because he didn't really have any decent competition at right back. Sure we had Toby (I so want to say "have" Toby), but he was better suited to his premier position at centre back. I think Clyne suffered from the lack of competition, knowing his spot in the team was virtually guaranteed.

If he stays, new contract or not, I think Soares will improve him because it will keep him on his toes and playing well. However IMO if he doesn't sign the contract, get rid while the price is high. We proved last summer we can deal without the wantaways. If he wants to go to Liverpool, so be it, though as they have exactly what we have this coming season you can only think it's a money issue. They're playing a risky game signing our players though, after their recent history of ex-Saints!

As for Morgan, I don't think any of us begrudge him the move after giving us one more season when we needed him most, as long as the price is right. I'm surprised PSG aren't interested in him, a French international, especially with the money they spend.

The player I want us to keep most though is Toby, even if we have to pay a bit more than we agreed. From what I saw of him he's a class above. The 4 centre backs we had last season are the strongest group I can remember, and keeping a Toby would mean only 1 defensive position would have been affected this summer. (If we lose Clyne) We had such a good defensive record last season, and I feel if we can achieve something like that again, we can do even better next season with a stronger attack.

Agree with this...

Especially the point regarding Toby - That is one signing that if it comes off, I will joyfully dance around the streets with a lampshade on my head and my trousers around my ankles...

I really hope united come in and bid for him and then Liverpool match the offer - swiftly followed by Clyne saying "good one" before heading to Old Trafford. Signing an extensions with a £25 mil release clause obv the best result though.

I thought the chairman said "we are not a gossiping club" and here we are being just that !

depends "Who " you think represents the club?

I'm sure Les Reed can hold his tongue, but there are surely other people ITK who know and a relaxed chat with his WAG, or the postman can result in gossip....:blush:

Liverpool are a massive club with a fine history and great fans and pay more wages people sometimes forget that playing football is Cylne's job and if he wishes to go there and earn more money that is fine by me.

He is likely to have a lot more success there than at St mary's I would have thought

Liverpool are a massive club with a fine history and great fans and pay more wages people sometimes forget that playing football is Cylne's job and if he wishes to go there and earn more money that is fine by me.

He is likely to have a lot more success there than at St mary's I would have thought

Recent precedents suggest this might not be the case...

Nobody doubts Liverpool are a big club thanks to their history... But right now they are one league place and 2 points better than us.

6th

7th

4th

3rd

3rd

Suarez joined Liverpool in January 2011 so

2014-15 6th

2009-10 7th

2008-09 2nd

2007-08 4th

2006-07 4th

2005-06 3rd

I also agree analyzing things this way makes no real sense. Maybe he was not looking at seasons without Suarez, but removing Suarez's goals from the seasons he was there and looking at where they would have finished. But that doesn't look right either.

Really don't get your strange views, looking for nonexistent arguments with every post.

My point, maybe made with little ambiguity, but sure all other posters with more than half a brain got the point..Apart from the season when Suarez single handedly pushed them several places higher, (season before last) their last 4 seasons have averaged 7th.

Not sure who you are arguing with who thinks we are as 'big'?

Think every poster will agree they have miles more history, support, prestige, publicity, money etc etc.

However, think most will have some thoughts of ..if we were in chaos last season, tipped for relegation, posters mocked for saying club aiming for Europe still ;) and we finished two points below, we should have chance of being higher next season.

Loads to do, so have a good day

I like to think that I have 0.78 of a brain but I didn't get your point either. Also, it is a weird point to make. Sure, we can look at Liverpool's 2013-2014 season and attribute the 2nd place finish to Suarez and good luck, but their bad season this past year was due to bad luck. Teams get lucky and unlucky all the time. That is part of the game. Much as I would like it not to be so, Liverpool is still well above Southampton on the Football totem pole. (Someone should build a new football totem pole each year. That would be cool.) In the next several years this may change, but it may not. They have tremendous financial advantages over us and FSG is not stupid. They will fix at least some of their problems. Also, we must be aware of the possibility that Southampton has been lucky in various ways over the past several years. We can have a bad year and it might happen this coming season.

Clyne going to Liverpool is not irrational. He will get paid more and get more status. He will believe he will start regularly, play well, and improve their side. All of this might turn out to be wrong but Clyne is not likely to believe that going in. In fact, given our last signing, Clyne might reasonably believe he will get more playing time at Liverpool than at Southampton.

Edited by Redslo

I think some on here have to wise up and realise that with any success at the club will be eventually followed by those leaving that helped it gain it's success, including the manager.

That is how it is at Saints, always has been and always will apart from the odd exception ie Le God. Being a small club is carved into our history rightly or wrongly. Even with a 50k seater Stadium our tag will stick, the only way we might be able to shift the label is to win the PL and then hover between 1st and 3rd for a few years, likelihood of this, absolutely nil.

We will survive as a club by spotting talent, using the talent for a year or two, selling it for a profit, sad but true.

Edited by Saint Billy

Nobody doubts Liverpool are a big club thanks to their history... But right now they are one league place and 2 points better than us.

So they had more success than us last season and the season before that and the season before that and the season before that etc

So Cylne is likely have a lot more success there than at St mary's if he goes there

He will earn more money at Liverpool.

He will play for a bigger club at Liverpool.

He will have a better chance for trophies at Liverpool.

But that doesn't mean he'll seriously contend for any trophies at Liverpool nor play in the Champions League for the duration of his first contract. If anything, Liverpool made such a mess of this season they feel further away from the Champions League than they have done for the seasons before the one they finished second.

The money thing is enough justification for him to want to move, and I wouldn't blame him. But as a club, Liverpool are as screwed as they ever have been.

We're missing one important factor here. 'Clyne is the last piece in the jigsaw, with him we can push on to higher glory'. Or 'We are building a new dynasty' etc. etc. Maybe Clyne would have helped them finish even higher last season?

I don't believe any of it but when owners, managers and players start getting delusions of grandeur they can sometimes be convinced of anything.

As much as it irks, Liverpool are one of the worlds most famous teams and have an aura that we will never have. In fact the situation and realisation that whatever we do we will never be a pull to top players etc is depressing. We will develop the odd decent one, we will find a bargain who will become a top player but all will leave to one of the glamour clubs.

I am falling out of love of football and watch very little compared to a few years ago but still enjoy playing indoor at my old age.

IMO there was no doubt Clyne would leave, like at Palace he ran his contract down and instead of the clubs befitting he does when he joins another club. Had he signed a longer contract we would get another 5-10m, him not doing so means his signing on fee and contract is bigger. Annoying but shrewd business.

Our only hope is that Man U or another decide to join the battle so that we get a bigger fee.

So they had more success than us last season and the season before that and the season before that and the season before that etc

So Cylne is likely have a lot more success there than at St mary's if he goes there

Of course, that is not necessarily the case, as you are bracketing the player to the club and making assumptions that because the club might be successful, that every player associated with it will be equally as successful. It can be argued to varying degrees that the players here who replaced those who left for Liverpool had more successful seasons for us than our ex-players did for Liverpool, even though Liverpool managed finally to get above us.

Yes, Clyne would be earning significantly more money with them and his CV profile will have been enhanced by playing for them, but whether his individual season will be seen to be more successful than his past one here remains to be seen. Perhaps he shone here because he was part of a very talented and well-drilled defence, whereas the Liverpool defence last season is possibly the worst I can ever remember.

Liverpool might have been above us historically for ever and a day, but last season the gap narrowed to the extent that even one dodgy refereeing decision going in our favour could have put us above them. It is not beyond the bounds of possibility that depending on the additional players brought in to strengthen both teams, we could finish above them next season for the first time. It could transpire that by mid season we are hailing Clyne's replacement as yet another inspired bit of business by the club, the Liverpool fans moaning about how they have been done over by us yet again. Who knows?

7th

6th

8th

7th

I think Milner is an improvement (sadly) Gerrard. Also never got the hype as regards Sterling......

7th

6th

8th

7th

and that was an appalling season for them. Appalling. THAT is with a league cup and FA cup semi final.

We finished below them (how did we get on in the cups?) and that was a record breaker, people patting themselves o the back, saying how wonderful we are and how we are going to challenge for the champions league. despite finishing below a liverpool who had an appalling season.

we will not get as many points next season if we make it to the group phase of the europa league. we simply will not. where as liverpool will be top 6 at worst

lol at those trying to suggest going to liverpool is only a sideways move.

just accept that it is a step up in many ways. Whether we like it or not.

Much like when we sign shane long for example from hull

You mean Hull who were relegated, compared to us who finished 7th?

I'm not saying Clyne going to Liverpool is a sideways move, just that it isn't as big a jump in his career as it would have been a few years back. Currently they aren't any longer a top four club and I don't see them being one this coming season either. But as you say, it is a step up in many ways, but not in every way.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/nathaniel-clyne/club-after-summer-transfer-window Clyne odds, can't help but think a little punt on United would be successful. They still need a right back and most people can see that he would be a perfect siging for them. Young, English international, 3 years experience in the premier league plus the added bonus of getting one over on Liverpool who really want the player. They haven't had someone hold down that right back spot since Gary Neville retired for god sake.

For Clyne it would make sense as well, even from Liverpool its a step up, bigger club, champions league pretty much every year and they'll be able to pay him more.

Oh yeah and United win league titles it's worth mentioning to Clyne that in the premier league era Saints and Liverpool have won the league the same amount of times..... :D

Edited by Saint IQ

You mean Hull who were relegated, compared to us who finished 7th?

I'm not saying Clyne going to Liverpool is a sideways move, just that it isn't as big a jump in his career as it would have been a few years back. Currently they aren't any longer a top four club and I don't see them being one this coming season either. But as you say, it is a step up in many ways, but not in every way.

hull were not relegated when we bought Long. He just had a cup final and his team were in europe

it does not need to be a step up in every way. it just is in many which is all he needs right now

Everton or Swansea. Even Stoke have a chance. Clubs with no European football who are getting better.

how come they never really got that close to doing so this year. despite liverpool breaking records for being so poor.

one of them will need to improve by quite a bit as liverpool only need to a little bit to keep 6th

can you see Stoke being better than we were last season? or swansea? everton maybe??? I can't. Not even we will be as good as last seaosn I reckon (if we make the group stages)

how come they never really got that close to doing so this year. despite liverpool breaking records for being so poor.

one of them will need to improve by quite a bit as liverpool only need to a little bit to keep 6th

can you see Stoke being better than we were last season? or swansea? everton maybe??? I can't. Not even we will be as good as last seaosn I reckon (if we make the group stages)

I don't think we will be as good but Everton (once they were out of Europe), Stoke, and Swansea all had great second parts of the season and look set to continue to improve in my opinion. They are all getting better - they weren't good enough last year (Everton partly because of European football) but I think they are a threat to a Liverpool team that I think will be worse this season (loss of the Captain, impending loss of best young player, new coaching staff but same Manager, indifferent signings).

But that of course is just my opinion.

What records did they break? I'm interested.

They did go on a good run mid season where they beat us 3-0 at St Mary's in the middle which probably made their season less shameful

More money than before coming in to all 20 clubs of the PL means teams will be getting closer to Spurs and Liverpool in terms of quality, spending the money wisely is the key. Which Us, Swansea and Everton seem to do very well

A lot of huffing and puffing. It's not just the case of who's bigger (Liverpool win hands-down); but also Clyne's chances for progression.

Clyne goes to Liverpool and it's almost certain he'll be there for the next 3-4 years. If there's anything people can agree on it's that the scousers are way off the top four. Clyne stays with us, he continues to put himself in the shop window and a move to a real contender -and its not as if he hasn't been linked with them in the past. Last summer, Morgan could have gone to Spurs; if, this summer, he moves to United on the back of another good season, perhaps, he'll be thankful for not having cashed in too early.

Edited by shurlock

If I was Clyne I'd sign a new deal at Saints, then move after 2 years to a better club than Liverpool. Saints get the money, Clyne gets better and more playing time and then a bigger move to a club who play CL footy every season. . That's what he needs to do if he really wants to progress.

Hadn't seen this but posted something very similar. There's such a thing as playing your hand too quickly.

If Clyne had the idea of running his contrtact down and leaaving for nothing (as he did at Palace when we got him) he may have been out-thought by Koeman because he could now spend the year on our bench with Cedric in his place, he would be out of sight and out of mind and lose his England place and his appeal to top clubs. he had long enough to sign the contract, this is one way to cope with 'player power'. Reckon we've made a good move

I'm a little surprised that Man City haven't been mentioned. OK, they have Zabaleta and Sagna but they are really struggling to get 8 Home Grown players. That is why there is this nonsense about Sterling, which seems might not happen and why there is talk about Wilshere and Delph. Delph might move (and warm the bench) but can't see Wilshere moving. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3129755/Manchester-City-s-pursuit-Raheem-Sterling-Jack-Wilshere-Fabian-Delph-need-English-quality.html

So at some stage they will have to make decisions. Clyne is available and is probably good enough to fit into their squad. But with Zabaleta and Sagna, he might not get much game time. Sell Sagna, and then he is still probably second choice and would he want to do that?

If Clyne had the idea of running his contrtact down and leaaving for nothing (as he did at Palace when we got him) he may have been out-thought by Koeman because he could now spend the year on our bench with Cedric in his place, he would be out of sight and out of mind and lose his England place and his appeal to top clubs. he had long enough to sign the contract, this is one way to cope with 'player power'. Reckon we've made a good move

If Roys comments after the supposed England strop are anything to go by, this would probably enhance his England chances.