Transfer update on Clyne, Schneiderlin and transfer priorities

Saint-Armstrong

Jan Molby, commentating on the England - Portugal U21 game on Danish TV, just said outright not 2 minutes ago that he has inside info that Clyne is going to Liverpool. Words to the effect of 'you can put your house on it'.

I thought the chairman said "we are not a gossiping club" and here we are being just that !

You can't have a complete media blackout in this day and age.

Two things - firstly there is no mention or gossip on players we are interested in and secondly the Clyne/Morgan stories are a clear indication the club want both sorted one way or another pretty smartish.

I think this means Clyne will go, Liverpool have more money than sense and if he wants to join that circus then good luck to him.

As for Morgan, I'm still not convinced Arsenal or United will meet our valuation. That should mean he stays but I can't see him being happy doing that.

Liverpool Echo aren't reporting a deal agreed.

Good. Just want to get it sorted, especially as is head hasn't really been with us 100% for quite a while. And if we do get near £15m then that would be great. Almost as good as the ridiculous amount LFC are trying to get for Sterling.

Anyone going to Liverpool is going for financial reasons, not football ones.

They are on a downward spiral, have no chance of top 4, and have a manager who is a legend in his own opinion but is way out of his depth and his floundering on borrowed time.

Lost all respect of Clyne if he heads of to Liverpool, just shows what a fool he is. Yes he will be on more money and has a few friends in Sterling, Henderson, Lallana there etc.. but not exactly improving on his career.

They are on a downward spiral, have no chance of top 4, and have a manager who is a legend in his own opinion but is way out of his depth and his floundering on borrowed time.

that just about sums it up nicely.

That's my take on it as well. I'm surprised the dippers have given brenda another season tbh.

Lost all respect of Clyne if he heads of to Liverpool, just shows what a fool he is. Yes he will be on more money and has a few friends in Sterling, Henderson, Lallana there etc.. but not exactly improving on his career.

Won't harm his international career.

Don't forget his England place will be guaranteed by the move.

I'll happily wish him well if moves to a CL club, but if he goes to Liverpool..........:sulk::sulk::sulk:

Edited by Chalkboy

I thought the chairman said "we are not a gossiping club" and here we are being just that !

I am not sure it is gossip if the club provides accurate information about its own players to a single reporter. Also, there is no reason to assume that Southampton was Wilson's only source of information. Possibly, for example, Southampton told him that there had been no offers received for Schneiderlin, but the information about Arsenal and Manchester United making inquiries came from another source as did the alleged valuation Southampton has placed on Schneiderlin. Plus, as beatlesaint noted, there is nothing resembling gossip about what other players we might want.

Clyne has been seen in the same London hotel as a member of Liverpool's transfer committee too, according to Adam Blackmore.

I see Blackmore just mugged you off on twitter for passing that info off as your own half hour ago when he posted it days ago :lol: :lol: :lol:

“@ConnorArmstrong: Nathaniel Clyne has been spotted at the same London hotel as a member of Liverpool's transfer committee. (via @bigadamsport) #SaintsFC #LFC”

18/6/2015 21.45

“@bigadamsport: @ConnorArmstrong slightly historic - 2 days before the 10M bid was made public”

I am not sure it is gossip if the club provides accurate information about its own players to a single reporter. Also, there is no reason to assume that Southampton was Wilson's only source of information. Possibly, for example, Southampton told him that there had been no offers received for Schneiderlin, but the information about Arsenal and Manchester United making inquiries came from another source as did the alleged valuation Southampton has placed on Schneiderlin. Plus, as beatlesaint noted, there is nothing resembling gossip about what other players we might want.

Exactly. Personally it cuts out all the bull****e - these are our terms, match them or do one.

Don't forget his England place will be guaranteed by the move.

I'll happily wish him well if moves to a CL club, but if he goes to Liverpool..........:mad::mad::mad:

Sadly that's the reality of it. Hodgson has surely made his mind up. £15 mil will do, we've brought in a couple of players already and we will be fine next season.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

I see Blackmore just mugged you off on twitter for passing that info off as your own half hour ago when he posted it days ago [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]

“@ConnorArmstrong: Nathaniel Clyne has been spotted at the same London hotel as a member of Liverpool's transfer committee. (via @bigadamsport) #SaintsFC #LFC”

18/6/2015 21.45

“@bigadamsport: @ConnorArmstrong slightly historic - 2 days before the 10M bid was made public”

Hardly mugging him off is it

Don't talk nonsense man . It may not improve his career as much as going to Chelsea , Arsenal or Manchester clubs , but if you don't think Liverpool is an upgrade on Southampton , you're deluded .

Did James Milner go to Liverpool for the money ? Strange if he did , because didn't city offer him more to stay . He went because he knows he isn't a top 4 regular and Liverpool are far and away the next best option after that . I doubt if there's one neutral who doesn't think Liverpool is a big step up from us career wise.

Don't talk nonsense man . It may not improve his career as much as going to Chelsea , Arsenal or Manchester clubs , but if you don't think Liverpool is an upgrade on Southampton , you're deluded .

Did James Milner go to Liverpool for the money ? Strange if he did , because didn't city offer him more to stay . He went because he knows he isn't a top 4 regular and Liverpool are far and away the next best option after that . I doubt if there's one neutral who doesn't think Liverpool is a big step up from us career wise.

Liverpool is definitely a bigger club, but then so is Everton, Aston Villa etc . It doesnt seem a happy place to be though and their recruitment has been more mid table than champions. Id only give them 50:50 of finishing above Saints next season.

I see Blackmore just mugged you off on twitter for passing that info off as your own half hour ago when he posted it days ago :lol: :lol: :lol:

18/6/2015 21.45

Don't get why anyone would do that.

Got to love the tone of this headline .... http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/448936/Southampton-STILL-want-15m-Liverpool-target-Nathaniel-Clyne-despite-Cedric-arrival

FFS, why aren't we giving Liverpool a discount, who the hell do we think we are?? We don't need Clyne after all and Liverpool are so worth it!

But it's OK for Liverpool to STILL want £50m for Sterling.

Sounds like we want Clyne to hand in a transfer request too, costing him the last years wages from us that he'd otherwise pick up as a golden handshake.

Also if he tries to stay and see out his contracts last year he may not even be first choice anymore after Cedric signed. That could cost him a place in Englands Euro squad.

Sounds like we're not bending over and taking it with this one.

Not delusion at all. They are a bigger club for there history, but only finished one place above the measly saints in a season that was probably there best chance of a title. They don't even have Champions league this season. Like mentioned above they are a club on a decline, then the heights they once reached and without Suarez it's really showing. The other 3 defectors also had a very un-achieving season footballing wise and if they doesn't show anything then I don't know what else to say. James Milner on the other hand is leaving so he can be appreciated more and get first team football.

Hardly mugging him off is it

Not really, no. I was just flagging up what he said, with a link to what he said - yesterday evening, in a reply to another user.

At no point in his original message about the London hotel did he specify that it was before the £10m bid was made public - so I couldn't have known that.

Sounds like we want Clyne to hand in a transfer request too, costing him the last years wages from us that he'd otherwise pick up as a golden handshake.

Also if he tries to stay and see out his contracts last year he may not even be first choice anymore after Cedric signed. That could cost him a place in Englands Euro squad.

Sounds like we're not bending over and taking it with this one.

There's no way that Clyne is going to hand in a transfer request, he'd happily run down his contract with us if needs be.

I think Liverpool matched the £150k he was offered by City, so finances don't come into it too much. For Milner it was more about footballing reasons - being pidgeonholed into the team wherever Pellegrini sees fit would be second for most players behind a regular spot at CM which is what he'll get for Liverpool, taking over from Gerrard.

Clyne doesn't have that excuse imo. Yes, Liverpool are a bigger club than us but there isn't a huge gulf in terms of quality between us and them anymore. I couldn't blame him for going to Liverpool for a hefty wage packet if there wasn't any interest from bigger clubs than them, but there is (apparently). Going from Southampton to Liverpool isn't the massive leap in a player's career that it would have been 10 years ago, it's much more of a baby step now. The natural progression for one of our best players now that we're up there in the Top 8 teams or so in the league would be to go to a Top 4 team, which is hardly unrealistic for a player as good as Clyney is. He should be playing Champions League football, and with all bias aside the better deal for him would be to sign a bumper contract with us, get another good season under his belt with experience of playing european football and then look to move to a side that is good enough for him. Take away Sterling, Sturridge and Coutinho from Liverpool and they're nothing special but you can't really say the same about Chelsea, Man City etc. That's the kind of level he should be aspiring to, and to see him join Liverpool would be a bit disappointing in terms of a display of his ambition because he can do better.

One thing we've done really well in recent seasons is stand firm on valuations of outgoing players.

We've apparently set our stall out at a £15M valuation, deeming that any less than that isn't worth the combined cost of losing Clyne, strengthening a rival, and gaining the value we would lose between now and January.

Ball's in Liverpool's court now, either they meet the £15M, or they miss out on him until January at least, and possibly lose him to another club or him signing a new contract.

Possibly a transfer request could force our hand, but failing that, while it's a fair bit of money, and we might not be the richest club in the world, the Premier League has changed. We don't need the money.

Not delusion at all. They are a bigger club for there history, but only finished one place above the measly saints in a season that was probably there best chance of a title. They don't even have Champions league this season. Like mentioned above they are a club on a decline, then the heights they once reached and without Suarez it's really showing.

Let's for the sake of argument compare him signing a new saints contract to a Liverpool one , let's say 4 years . Forget the money , you said career wise.

In 4 years will he play in champions league for Liverpool ? Maybe, proberly not. Saints? Absolutely no chance whatsoever .

Will he win a cup or two at Liverpool , quite a good chance of that. Maybe even the Europa league , with us? Unlikely

Will we finish above Liverpool durian ing those 4 years ? Doubt it, when was the last time this happened.

Will England pick him more if he plays for Liverpool ? There's a number of posts saying yes, but we really don't know . I'd edge towards yes .

In those 4 years will Brenda and Ron still be manager of both clubs , highly unlikely . Which sort of manager will Liverpool attract compared to us. Klopp maybe, Rafa again, would managers of that ilk come to saints?

I'm prepared to be persuaded otherwise , but in what way will his career not be improved by swapping Southampton for Liverpool . The only benefit I can see from him not doing so is that maybe a top 4 club will come in for him this time next year. So why on earth would signing a new contract be better for his career than not signing one, or leaving for Liverpool ? Maybe his career will stall at Liverpool , but it could stall for us . Whose to say Lovren wouldn't have been shiete for us this year , there were signs at spurs and Sunderland that he had a rickett in him. I'm not anti saints, I love the club . But if He was my nipper and a top 4 club didn't want him , Liverpool would be my choice over saints for his career.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Clyne almost had a Lovren-esque half a decent season last year, started well and then tailed off a bit. I wonder if that's because he didn't really have any decent competition at right back. Sure we had Toby (I so want to say "have" Toby), but he was better suited to his premier position at centre back. I think Clyne suffered from the lack of competition, knowing his spot in the team was virtually guaranteed.

If he stays, new contract or not, I think Soares will improve him because it will keep him on his toes and playing well. However IMO if he doesn't sign the contract, get rid while the price is high. We proved last summer we can deal without the wantaways. If he wants to go to Liverpool, so be it, though as they have exactly what we have this coming season you can only think it's a money issue. They're playing a risky game signing our players though, after their recent history of ex-Saints!

As for Morgan, I don't think any of us begrudge him the move after giving us one more season when we needed him most, as long as the price is right. I'm surprised PSG aren't interested in him, a French international, especially with the money they spend.

The player I want us to keep most though is Toby, even if we have to pay a bit more than we agreed. From what I saw of him he's a class above. The 4 centre backs we had last season are the strongest group I can remember, and keeping a Toby would mean only 1 defensive position would have been affected this summer. (If we lose Clyne) We had such a good defensive record last season, and I feel if we can achieve something like that again, we can do even better next season with a stronger attack.

This :thumbup:

I can't see Clyne staying. His attitude seems shody, he seems to be keen to want away. Most likely scenario we sell later in the window for something like £12/13m a reasonable compromise for everyone.

If this happens, and we are selling to Liverpool, I would favor delaying it as long as possible to keep Clyne from getting a full preseason with Liverpool--unless he was disrupting our preseason, of course.

Clyne almost had a Lovren-esque half a decent season last year, started well and then tailed off a bit. I wonder if that's because he didn't really have any decent competition at right back. Sure we had Toby (I so want to say "have" Toby), but he was better suited to his premier position at centre back. I think Clyne suffered from the lack of competition, knowing his spot in the team was virtually guaranteed.

If he stays, new contract or not, I think Soares will improve him because it will keep him on his toes and playing well. However IMO if he doesn't sign the contract, get rid while the price is high. We proved last summer we can deal without the wantaways. If he wants to go to Liverpool, so be it, though as they have exactly what we have this coming season you can only think it's a money issue. They're playing a risky game signing our players though, after their recent history of ex-Saints!

As for Morgan, I don't think any of us begrudge him the move after giving us one more season when we needed him most, as long as the price is right. I'm surprised PSG aren't interested in him, a French international, especially with the money they spend.

The player I want us to keep most though is Toby, even if we have to pay a bit more than we agreed. From what I saw of him he's a class above. The 4 centre backs we had last season are the strongest group I can remember, and keeping a Toby would mean only 1 defensive position would have been affected this summer. (If we lose Clyne) We had such a good defensive record last season, and I feel if we can achieve something like that again, we can do even better next season with a stronger attack.

This.

Liverpool will be fighting for 5-8th next season, just like we will be.

So if he goes, well good luck but see you later. at this point in time with the way saints are travelling and the way Liverpool are travelling, its a sideways move. although admittedly probably with a 20k per week pay rise.