Post-Match Reaction: SAINTS 1-1 FC Midtjylland

Saint-Armstrong

MotM vs FC Midtjylland (Europa League Play-off 1st Leg Home)  

251 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs FC Midtjylland (Europa League Play-off 1st Leg Home)

• Stekelenburg
    • Targett
    • Yoshida
    • Fonte
    • Caulker
    • Wanyama
    • Romeu
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Mané
    • Rodriguez
    • Pellè
    • Long
    • Juanmi

When we have a full strength team out there we'll be top 7 again. First half was very poor but completely bossed the second, we'll bring in a decent defender and when the back line has Bertrand back in and some cohesion we'll go on a decent run. We'll win the second leg easily.

The time wasting was pretty disgusting.

We know we're signing a first choice CB. Our first choice LB is still to return. A newly signed, starting CM is injured. We're still a while away from the end of the transfer window.

Anyone remember last year, the meltdown and the boards comments to judge them at the end of the window? Remember how it turned out?

Why is Juanmi barely getting a look in? Full Spain international, on fire in preseason and behind Shane Long in the pecking order.. Weird

This. I keep,reading the link between attack and defence is not there, but isn't this what Juanmi is supposed to offer? If RK has lost faith in him already that is worrying. Or,is he merely injured?

The team's missing a creative central midfielder; Classie will hopefully fill that role.

Wonderful to have J-Rod back on the score sheet; important game time for Romeu, Targett and Caulker

Not the best of team play today but it's a learning curve and the opposition got their game plan spot on so fair play.

Still find it great that Saints were tonight's sole English rep in European Football with all media covering us, this is what we all dreamt of.

COYS

Probably a blessing in disguise if we go out at this stage. Let's face it last season's team might have had a chance of going quite far in this competition. However, the team now is looking extremely weak and has virtually no chance of progressing to the latter stages. Better to go out now as we will need to fully concentrate on maintaining our position in the Prem without the distraction of these Thursday games which totally disrupt the training regime and build up for weekend matches.

As I said when we qualified for Europe.

We know we're signing a first choice CB. Our first choice LB is still to return. A newly signed, starting CM is injured. We're still a while away from the end of the transfer window.

Anyone remember last year, the meltdown and the boards comments to judge them at the end of the window? Remember how it turned out?

Forster, Pelle, Tadic and Bertrand all hit the ground running, the new signings this time round haven't impressed. Long way to go, but squad players were not required yet that is what we appear to have accumulated to date.

Pathetic management and coaching. Poor choices, coaching is obviously atrocious and as for tactics - we don't have a tactic except hit it long and hope.!

What on earth is going on. It's been like it for last 6 months!

As Koemans influence has come more and more to the fore and it has become his team and methods we have got worse and worse.

17th, or close to it, is looking more likely by the game.

The sooner we are out of this meaningless European venture the better as we need to concentrate on getting 40 points this season.

I think, four games in to the season (two in the league) that now is a good time to just give up on it altogether. In fact, let's disband the team, the club, and the whole organisation. Those financial resources could be well spent seeking world peace. Or alien intelligence.

17th, or close to it, is looking more likely by the game.

The sooner we are out of this meaningless European venture the better as we need to concentrate on getting 40 points this season.

Meh, personally I'd prefer to see us get through and perhaps draw that once in a lifetime side away from home. This is as good a it will get. Enjoy it not wish it away.

Pathetic management and coaching. Poor choices, coaching is obviously atrocious and as for tactics - we don't have a tactic except hit it long and hope.!

What on earth is going on. It's been like it for last 6 months!

As Koemans influence has come more and more to the fore and it has become his team and methods we have got worse and worse.

Jesus Christ. :lol:

I think our recruitment has been really suspect this summer. Still very early days but the signs aren't good. Feels like we've replaced quality with numbers - Cedric and Martina are a case in point. I think we are weaker at GK, RB, CB and CM.

To me, it looks like half the team aren't good enough and the ones that are are not on great form. I'm astonished that Koeman is only going to sign one CB before the window closes. It's not always about money but we've been too conservative with our targets this season. A long season ahead I feel.

You seen their record at home? They'll time waste there too cos they're experienced enough in Europe to know that's how to frustrate us and control the tempo, particularly against English teams. They'll go all out for a clean sheet and I think they'll get it.

I haven't seen their home record but presumably most of the teams they've played against are in the Danish league, which isn't very strong. I'm sure they'll play for a bore draw, they were playing for one tonight.

Bit of a ****ty result tonight but there's still everything to play for, and I think we'll put in a better performance in the away leg.

I was sure we bought a right back to replace Clyne, but I obviously dreamt it because Yoshida has got that gig.

No worries about Wanyama going to Arsenal, they don't buy players who can't shoot or pass.

Jay Rod needs 3 months in the U21s. It was painful watching him tonight.

Thought we were a rabble tonight, no leadership on the pitch, disjointed and quite frankly I think Koeman has screwed up for the second time in a week.,

I think our recruitment has been really suspect this summer. Still very early days but the signs aren't good. Feels like we've replaced quality with numbers - Cedric and Martina are a case in point. I think we are weaker at GK, RB, CB and CM.

To me, it looks like half the team aren't good enough and the ones that are are not on great form. I'm astonished that Koeman is only going to sign one CB before the window closes. It's not always about money but we've been too conservative with our targets this season. A long season ahead I feel.

Not sure why you think we're weaker at GK? I would say we're stronger, if anything.

Defensively we seem to lack communication and organisation, like there is no leader on the pitch so we are always vulnerable. In possession, the passing is consistently not quick or clever enough so it is easy for opposition to get back and get in position like Midtjylland did tonight. To top it off, if we do find good positions, the final pass is often lousy.

Of course, it may be a case of early season jitters as the new signings settle into the side, but things don't look very promising right now. Still a couple of players you would assume were starters sidelined with injuries (Clasie, Bertrand) and missing a signing at CB.

If we are still this bad in after 10-12 league games, then we should be worried.

Midtjylland is a decent side. They make revolutionary use of the Moneyball principle and it seems to be working very well.

After Everton last weekend this is again an unconvincing performance. Looks like it could be a long season ahead for Saints.

Also, I have to say that I'm very much in the glass half empty camp when it comes to JWP. I'm amazed to see him leading the MOTM poll. I don't know what his position is supposed to be or what he offers except a great attitude and excellent set pieces. He was fine tonight, like Targett, but neither are capable of performing at a high level in the PL over the course of a season. Personally, I'd be much happier to see JWP leave on loan that Reed.

I haven't seen their home record but presumably most of the teams they've played against are in the Danish league, which isn't very strong. I'm sure they'll play for a bore draw, they were playing for one tonight.

Bit of a ****ty result tonight but there's still everything to play for, and I think we'll put in a better performance in the away leg.

I'd like to know where you get that optimism, I've seen us play 4 competitive games this season and we have been poor in all four.

Come next Thursday, if we don't go through, I can;t see any new players. If fact we may be off loading a number on loan.

Thought Wanyama was absolutely crap tonight. Hardly connected with any Saints player. His passing was awful. Thought Targett really progressed tonight and every cross connected with a Saints player. People are going to east their snide remarks about him before long. His confidence is growing.

I won't state the obvious, we're all too award of what lies ahead.

I think, four games in to the season (two in the league) that now is a good time to just give up on it altogether. In fact, let's disband the team, the club, and the whole organisation. Those financial resources could be well spent seeking world peace. Or alien intelligence.

We'll see, but I bet you we will finish a lot closer to 17th than 7th.

I was sure we bought a right back to replace Clyne, but I obviously dreamt it because Yoshida has got that gig.

Why on earth did we buy Martina if he is not good enough to come in for this type,of game?

Why did we give Rodriguez a five year deal before he proved he could get back to his best?

I'd like to know where you get that optimism, I've seen us play 4 competitive games this season and we have been poor in all four.

To be fair out of the 5 competitive games we have played we have had 2 wins, 2 score draws and 1 loss. 3 out of 5 of those (2-0, 3-0, 2-2) results would see us through next week while 1 other (1-1) would make it go to extra time. This is if we continue playing as poorly as we currently have been.

Romeu added something, but still needs more time to really find his way with Vic who had a poor game. Caulker is not good enough except emergency cover...we urgently need a better class of CB for Fonte. I thought Yoshi had a really good game at RB...not too many issues. Targett was better this evening and Stek was OK. JRod had a good game...can start to see his old form re-emerging. Pelle had a good game. Mane was just too wasteful and not playing for the team...his head was elsewhere methinks. As usual JWP had some great deadball delivery but little else to offer.

The game was frustrated by the oppo timewasting and a ref who allowed stoppage to dominate the flow of the game. Overall a poor result really and one that could well see us exit the competition. Why? Well if they were able to frustrate like that away from home, they will make an even better job of it at home.

Seriously though...get Romeu sorted and get a really good CB and I feel we might start seeing the better side of Saints of last season again.

Also, I have to say that I'm very much in the glass half empty camp when it comes to JWP. I'm amazed to see him leading the MOTM poll. I don't know what his position is supposed to be or what he offers except a great attitude and excellent set pieces. He was fine tonight, like Targett, but neither are capable of performing at a high level in the PL over the course of a season. Personally, I'd be much happier to see JWP leave on loan that Reed.

If he was a championship player would we be looking to snap him up? He has such a lot of improving to do before he runs a game and in the end that's what a midfielder needs to be able, to do. Hopefully he will get there in the end, but we were going to have to be patient. His slowness around the pitch worries me.

I am in Vancouver so couldn't watch the game...caught the tail end of the BBC live text updates...sounds like that was more exciting than the game for some of you.

1-1 is not the end of the world. Be happy that Mane is staying (I'm really puzzled that so many seem to be okay swapping him out for cash at this point - he's been our most dangerous player by far last season and this).

We are unquestionably weaker than last year...I think losing Toby was a genuine shock for RK and something he didn't make provision for...could have hung on until Bertrand fit with him...he's the Jenga stick that's bought the pile down. So get a really strong CB...get Bertrand back...get some confidence in the back four and with Soares then as an attacking right back all of a sudden the gap between midfield and attack is closed...better passing to strikers, fewer long balls...a bit of creativity with Clasie (if he's physically strong enough for the PL) and things could begin to click again.

Not a great start, but all this negativity is OTT. Come on you Saints!

I am in Vancouver so couldn't watch the game...caught the tail end of the BBC live text updates...sounds like that was more exciting than the game for some of you.

1-1 is not the end of the world. Be happy that Mane is staying (I'm really puzzled that so many seem to be okay swapping him out for cash at this point - he's been our most dangerous player by far last season and this).

We are unquestionably weaker than last year...I think losing Toby was a genuine shock for RK and something he didn't make provision for...could have hung on until Bertrand fit with him...he's the Jenga stick that's bought the pile down. So get a really strong CB...get Bertrand back...get some confidence in the back four and with Soares then as an attacking right back all of a sudden the gap between midfield and attack is closed...better passing to strikers, fewer long balls...a bit of creativity with Clasie (if he's physically strong enough for the PL) and things could begin to click again.

Not a great start, but all this negativity is OTT. Come on you Saints!

I think the main issue is how poor our midfield looks. We aren't giving protection to the full backs, we aren't dominating the middle and we seem incapable of passing our way through like we did in previous years. If I were Ron I'd get a CB in but I'd also get in another midfielder. Classie isn't the answer.

What a bunch of bed wetters. This place is a joke. Two prem games in, yes, one defeat, and a draw this evening. Get a grip for god sake. Didn't see too many wet sheets when we cruised past Vitesse barely a couple of weeks ago.

Yes we're not playing great, but to write the season off now is a rather childish outlook.

It does make for some amusing reading, with all the usual suspect bang on cue, like clockwork. At the same time it is somewhat tedious.

Sure, the draw was disappointing and the first half performance was rather troubling.

But do people seriously expect to be viewing the finished product three games into the season - with significant personnel changes and with key players injured? Well, I mean people apart from the urine-soaked one ( "3 weeks in and we've blown this season" ).

We've adjusted well at half time in the last two games, some players are just getting to understand eachothers' styles and tendencies, we have core players to return from injury, we have budget in hand (and a better idea of further needs), and we have proven skill at the top in the form of Koeman and Reed. There's not a doubt in my mind that we'll soon be much better than we've been thus far.

Schneiderlin apart, I feel that by the time the window closes we'll better placed in terms of quality squad depth than we were this time last year. Whether that converts into more points or a higher finish will depend on whether Wanyama and Romeu can develop a solid dovetail, how well Clasie can improve us in the link role just in front of them, and whether our peer group clubs (5-10) have strengthened better than us.

Definitely missing something at the moment, losing 5 first team players (including Forster and Bertrand) means a big adjustment but we need to do something. Players arguing with each other over misplaced balls as well, never a good sign. Wanyama off the pace, Mane quick, tricky but very little end product ultimately.

Frustrating time-wasting from them but they did exactly what is needed in European football. Score a goal and restrict the opposition from playing, which we went along with. We seem to have lost the patience and probing that was a feature of last season when things weren't going our way.

Lessons to be learned, and fast

Isn't it odd how two of the most prolific posters on this site are responsible for starting and posting early on this thread, suggesting that once again they are sat on their backsides at home pontificating as

opposed to actually coughing up and getting behind the team at St Mary's?

No worries about Wanyama going to Arsenal, they don't buy players who can't shoot or pass.

Thought we were a rabble tonight, no leadership on the pitch, disjointed and quite frankly I think Koeman has screwed up for the second time in a week.,

You really would sell wanyama? Bizarre. Very harsh on j rod too.

I have watched the same games as you. I think it's hard to judge the first two games because the opposition were a young side, but we did enough to win comprehensively and you can't really ask for much more. The other two games have been poor, I accept that.

I have confidence that when our side is fully fit and have played more together they will turn in better performances. We dominated periods of the game today but it was hard for us to turn that into goals because the other side were just spoiling. I also have confidence in RK because on the evidence of last season he is a good manager.

First half was appalling. Second marginally better. You can't keep selling your best players and replacing them with mediocrity. It's catching up with us.

Sure, the draw was disappointing and the first half performance was rather troubling.

But do people seriously expect to be viewing the finished product three games into the season - with significant personnel changes and with key players injured? Well, I mean people apart from the urine-soaked one ( "3 weeks in and we've blown this season" ).

We've adjusted well at half time in the last two games, some players are just getting to understand eachothers' styles and tendencies, we have core players to return from injury, we have budget in hand (and a better idea of further needs), and we have proven skill at the top in the form of Koeman and Reed. There's not a doubt in my mind that we'll soon be much better than we've been thus far.

Schneiderlin apart, I feel that by the time the window closes we'll better placed in terms of quality squad depth than we were this time last year. Whether that converts into more points or a higher finish will depend on whether Wanyama and Romeu can develop a solid dovetail, how well Clasie can improve us in the link role just in front of them, and whether our peer group clubs (5-10) have strengthened better than us.

To say we have better squad quality is just ridiculous.