Post-Match Reaction: SAINTS 1-1 FC Midtjylland

Saint-Armstrong

MotM vs FC Midtjylland (Europa League Play-off 1st Leg Home)  

251 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs FC Midtjylland (Europa League Play-off 1st Leg Home)

• Stekelenburg
    • Targett
    • Yoshida
    • Fonte
    • Caulker
    • Wanyama
    • Romeu
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Mané
    • Rodriguez
    • Pellè
    • Long
    • Juanmi

We have no one with anywhere near the same quality as clyne ay the moment, agreed? Cedric seems ok atacking but poor defensively, Bertrand may not return at the same level as before the injury.

I think the club need to realise we can no longer replace quality players on the cheap and hope for the best!

To say Bertrand may not return to the same level is incredibly extreme. He had a little clean up operation on his knee's.

I thought the game was quite agreeable to watch actually, probably better for the neutral than the Saints fan though.

Bit rustic from time to time but there was very little down time at all..

That's the weirdest way I've ever seen a football match described.

I wish our fans were more like Dortmunds, they went 3-0 down after 20 mins away to Molde. Fans stuck with the team and sung them on to a 4-3 victory. That's what all fans at the stadium should be like (we're called supporters for a reason), leave the moaning and complaining for the pub and the forums but sing and support your team no matter what at the stadium. A lot of fans round me last night seemed intent on moaning and shouting 'get on with it' or 'your ****' (to Targett mainly) it's just sad that's the way it is around most of the stadium.

I wish our fans were more like Dortmunds, they went 3-0 down after 20 mins away to Molde. Fans stuck with the team and sung them on to a 4-3 victory. That's what all fans at the stadium should be like (we're called supporters for a reason), leave the moaning and complaining for the pub and the forums but sing and support your team no matter what at the stadium. A lot of fans round me last night seemed intent on moaning and shouting 'get on with it' or 'your ****' (to Targett mainly) it's just sad that's the way it is around most of the stadium.

I can almost guarantee that the German equivalent of saints fans would have been saying similar after twenty minutes.

they are a terrible side

at least the ref added about 7 mins of added time for it.

He actually probably added about 3.5 minutes for it (6 minutes on the board, but he would also have added 2.5 for the subs) and then added another minute during stoppage time. He added zero for it in the first half, despite them time wasting from the start. Ref gave us lots last night, but he didn't take control of the time wasting which was awful, especially the injury feigning to break up play as well). He also failed to book #2 Kian Hansen (the knob with the bob) who was the worst offender.

I can almost guarantee that the German equivalent of saints fans would have been saying similar after twenty minutes.

How can you guarantee that? They stuck with team 3-0 down after 22 mins, we were 0-0 after that time. They maybe saying it to one another but they wouldn't be shouting abuse at their own players.

Poor showing last night against an organised but limited side. Can't see us going through to the group stage and I wouldn't be overly bothered if we don't. I can see this season being a struggle, we should stay up but I think the current squad doesn't have enough strength in depth for a Europa campaign and a decent Prem season.

A clung the size of Saints is never far off a relegation battle if things are not quite right.

Poor showing last night against an organised but limited side. Can't see us going through to the group stage and I wouldn't be overly bothered if we don't. I can see this season being a struggle, we should stay up but I think the current squad doesn't have enough strength in depth for a Europa campaign and a decent Prem season.

A clung the size of Saints is never far off a relegation battle if things are not quite right.

A club the size of Saints is never far off a relegation battle if things are not quite right that's supposed to say.

He actually probably added about 3.5 minutes for it (6 minutes on the board, but he would also have added 2.5 for the subs) and then added another minute during stoppage time. He added zero for it in the first half, despite them time wasting from the start. Ref gave us lots last night, but he didn't take control of the time wasting which was awful, especially the injury feigning to break up play as well). He also failed to book #2 Kian Hansen (the knob with the bob) who was the worst offender.

Meanwhile, I think he did as well as can be expected, and particularly well dealing with the timewasting.

Love Saints fans... Twitter was funny last night.

Yoshida, under pressure, clears the ball upfield towards Mane. It was a completely ordinary clearance not worthy of any comment, however, "WHAT THE F*CK WAS THAT YOSHIDA" screamed one man. I personally thought Yoshida played quite well out of position.

According to twitter, Caulker was both the best and worst player on the pitch. I know it is purely opinion, but you don't half get some overreactions from some people.

Love Saints fans... Twitter was funny last night.

Yoshida, under pressure, clears the ball upfield towards Mane. It was a completely ordinary clearance not worthy of any comment, however, "WHAT THE F*CK WAS THAT YOSHIDA" screamed one man. I personally thought Yoshida played quite well out of position.

According to twitter, Caulker was both the best and worst player on the pitch. I know it is purely opinion, but you don't half get some overreactions from some people.

Because Twitter is full of simpletons with low intellect and children. Obviously that can form the same grouping or overlap, but no one on Twitter generally speaks sense, it's just ridiculous, I don't understand why people attach such value and status to it?

It annoys me in the printed media that they can spin a whole story by what some simpleton/13 year old has said on Twitter. Utterly ridiculous. Oh and no comment required about them spouting rubbish on Twitter and not even attending the match in person.

I thought the team selection was unbalanced but I can see that there may be underlying reasons for it. I suspect there was firstly a pragmatic rotation. Secondly the priority of giving Rodriguez and Targett game time.

The team selection left us without blend in vital areas against a team that was able to play a very compact blocking game. There were several players who fell far short of the performance to fill the vital areas. Both full backs were poor for a team that sets such store in the full backs providing the width. Targett was a little better than Yoshida but too often checked out and passed back. His lack of pace is a worry. Neither full back were regularly available to receive balls to the wings from the DMs, this caused us to be narrow and slow with our build up.

JWP was a nearly man, he nearly closed down, nearly tackled, wondered around in midfield, any possession was passed back or square. When he did have the ball he wanted to offload it as quickly as possible. For a so called future international he showed a total lack of drive or awareness. At this stage he should be demanding the ball and driving the team around him but he seemed just reactive and passive. Good job he fell over at the right time. The dead ball delivery was better than Saturday but a long way from the laser like accuracy that causes defenders sleepless nights, in a word pretty ordinary.

Caulker is finding his feet and good in the air. The two DMs should settle down and provide a good defensive shield. Soares and Bertrand will solve the width problem although I'm surprised Martina hasn't figured even on the left because he has been fairly decent up to now.

Clasie may well be able to to do the job JWP failed to do. Somebody earlier made the comment that a loan out might be in his best interests, to get a full season at a decent level.

Up front my main criticism of Pelle is his lack of mobility and tendency to occupy the central area. The three main attackers play in straight lines apart from Rodriguez there is no lateral movement or interchange to try and move defenders around. They do however suffer from our slow narrow build up which pushes them up against the offside problem with defenders holding their ground in numbers. Somebody on both sides needs to get behind the defence and put in crosses from close to the bye line. Both Mane and Rodriguez want to be strikers so don't get into the wide areas early enough.

I'm not sure that Midjtylland are that good and may well not be good enough now that we have had a good look at them.

Ok, I'll bite. Really cannot agree with this, my son and I have thoroughly enjoyed both games under lights and will definitely be going to the group games if we get that far. If anything last nights game was more exciting than the Vitesse one, even if the result wasn't ideal. I was certainly hoarser at the end of it which is usually a good indication of the type of game we watched!

Besides £15 entry, a good crowd and a free program, whats not to like!!

Good to see your reaction. I can't understand people calling the UEFA League a meaningless European venture or whatever. It's a pretty arrogant attitude that doesn't suit them, especially when they're "supporting" a club which even doesn't qualify that often. They should understand that the UEFA league is also a chance for Southampton to promote itself, to become a bigger name in Europe will help to get better players interested (those who are looking for more than just money...).

As for the game: it did surprise me that the Saints weren't able to wipe the floor with Midtjylland, even when the team is struggling at the moment. Apparantly this moneyball thing works for the Danes, I reckon their team isn't even worth 20% of that of the Saints. Painfull...

Most fans are delighted to be in europe, you can see that at the games. I'm take qualifying and getting out the group stage over another 7th place. If we come 12th or something due to too many games so be it. Same way some seem happy to ditch both domestic cups to make sure we have maximum chance of 6th or 7th. Who cares? It's not like fans get any of the money. We can slowly improve our league standing over many years, but the club won't really grow without cup wins and european football, so you have to be prepared to take the occasional worse season in the league. It really doesn't take much to stay up and I have no doubt we will, even if we don't sign anyone else.

I agree, watching the Saints in Europe is a delight and I wouldn't care either about 7th or 12th placed, the PL is all about money and the Saints will never win that race. Instead of looking for a qualifying position for the CL (which is also all about the money and protecting the big clubs), I would rather see that the Saints play attractive football. In the end, that's what it should be all about...

Dortmund, and most German teams are now producing the best supporter experiences in the world. They are the very opposite of the passive fans most in England have become for whatever reason. We as Saints would lead the way in England if fans were a quarter (as a percentage) as good as Dortmund's fans.

Dortmund, and most German teams are now producing the best supporter experiences in the world. They are the very opposite of the passive fans most in England have become for whatever reason. We as Saints would lead the way in England if fans were a quarter (as a percentage) as good as Dortmund's fans.

Ticket prices are lower as well.

FWIW a day later but; FCM were Top LGE 1 side/mid CS? But very well organised as a TEAM; we are not yet, still, forming, not norming, storming or performing.

A nasty little side, awful in second half! I want to progress in Europe, I want to play Fenerbahce!

Please do not ever play Yoshida at RB again! More composure up front needed.

FWIW a day later but; FCM were Top LGE 1 side/mid CS? But very well organised as a TEAM; we are not yet, still, forming, not norming, storming or performing.

A nasty little side, awful in second half! I want to progress in Europe, I want to play Fenerbahce!

Please do not ever play Yoshida at RB again! More composure up front needed.

I think Yoshida is not good enough to be a first team starter, but nothing he did last night made me think he should never play RB again, in fact he did pretty well unless what you wanted was basically Mane playing there.

Why would they?.....It's been made clear to them they're not here to win things but merely showcase their abilities for the benefit of potential clients in the transfer market and thus ensure Big Kat's big purse gets ever bigger....

Straight out the same Les Reed book of 'psychology and achievement' that's made just about every decent player we had run for the hills.

To quote the great one....."It could have been so different"

It only takes a couple of poor games to have the peddlers of this crap emerge.

It only takes a couple of poor games to have the peddlers of this crap emerge.

So what part in particular is crap?

Les didn't say we are a "showcase club"?

Rickie didn't say "it could have been so different"?

We're not up on transfer dealings to the tune of 40m+ over the last year while the playing squad gets progressively worse?

If you don't match the drive and ambition of driven and ambitious athletes they'll go somewhere that will?

Most of the ethos this club has been rebuilt on over the last 5 years hasn't been consigned to the garbage can?

Sure, the talk's there, but the walk's long gone, that went with Cortese and Potchitino. As their influence fades we're left with Les's faffing, Ralphs waffle and a man in a grey suit...Oh and Kat's ever bulging purse full of transfer fees.

Don't worry, you'll probably get it one day

We're not up on transfer dealings to the tune of 40m+ over the last year while the playing squad gets progressively worse?

If you don't match the drive and ambition of driven and ambitious athletes they'll go somewhere that will?

Most of the ethos this club has been rebuilt on over the last 5 years hasn't been consigned to the garbage can?

Sure, the talk's there, but the walk's long gone, that went with Cortese and Potchitino. As their influence fades we're left with Les's faffing, Ralphs waffle and a man in a grey suit...Oh and Kat's ever bulging purse full of transfer fees.

Please save us Saint George like you did last season. Please save us. Saint George please save us. Please save us. Please. Save us.

I agree with this, but genuinely interested to know how a mid sized club can match the ambition of someone like Morgan?

We had a tiny window of opportunity to win a cup and the following year get into CL, but that IMO was the only way we'd have kept them all and even then we may have struggled as the players would have been in even more,demand.

We could try Evertons approach of paying these players more than they could get at the big clubs, but even that hasn't stopped players leaving, albeit one at a time.

There is some absolute unrealstic rubbish posted on here by people like St George SFC are doing really well at the moment lets enjoy it whilst it lasts because it surely will

Mane needs to shape up with another great performance. On his off days its like he plays with his boots on the wrong feet and his head up his arse. And I am getting sick of Wanyama's shots clearing the crossbar. You are a professional footballer man, get some control going - try practicing a bit more. Mane's wastefulness and Wanyama's terrible shooting were a large part of this failure.

I agree with this, but genuinely interested to know how a mid sized club can match the ambition of someone like Morgan?

We had a tiny window of opportunity to win a cup and the following year get into CL, but that IMO was the only way we'd have kept them all and even then we may have struggled as the players would have been in even more,demand.

We could try Evertons approach of paying these players more than they could get at the big clubs, but even that hasn't stopped players leaving, albeit one at a time.

I still don't think that would have made much difference to some. The pull of playing for Man Utd is just too great, whether that's down to wages or club stature (or actually both) is up for debate, but unless you were a Southampton fan, why wouldn't you join one of the best clubs in the world?

It's like being very good at your job for a medium sized company in Southampton. They pay okay, the CV is looking alright and career path not too bad. You're happy in the area but then Google's HR team come along and ask if you want to join them, on an international stage, on more money. It's a no brainer unless you don't have ambition.

I think all our players have ambition else they wouldn't be here, pretty much all of them have joined for the "project" except the only first teamer who is left from the league 1 days, Fonte.

FCM were doing what they do best ... they rely much on a solid defense/team-work and I would estimate that around 70-80% of their goals in the Danish Superliga is from set pieces and not from open play, except when their young star winger Sisto make his smart moves that usually attract the full attention from the defense, which also lead to the goal by Sparv.

Sisto was the absolute shining star in the Danish league last season, at the age of only 19, but he only recently managed to obtain Danish citizenship, despite having lived here since he was 2 month old ... so his first action for Denmark was at the U21 UEFA Championship, but the Danish NT coach Morten Olsen has said, that he regard him to be as big a talent as Eriksen ... he did not show much in the first leg, but again, he is only 20.

Otherwise, FCM are strong in the centre back positions, where Danish clubs produce lots of players for export ... At the moment Erik Sviatchenko is 3rd pick for Denmark behind Agger (when he is fit) and Simon Kjær, but ahead of Jores Okore from Aston Villa, so he is a wanted man by big foreign clubs ... long throw-in Kian Hansen actually was regular starter in the French league for FC Nantes last season, but though he was an instant success and quite popular, he left Nantes and returned home due to 'personal reasons' ... in midfield Jakob Poulsen is a hard working regular starter for the Danish NT, while Sparv is a solid Championship quality player, adding to a solid FCM defense ... then they also have the strong, skilled and very fast Nigerian Rilwan Hassan and few fairly solid Austrian and Swedish players ... and the young Swedish U21 UEFA Champion Kristoffer Olsson, who they surpringly managed to pick up for free last season from Arsenal.

I still don't think that would have made much difference to some. The pull of playing for Man Utd is just too great, whether that's down to wages or club stature (or actually both) is up for debate, but unless you were a Southampton fan, why wouldn't you join one of the best clubs in the world?

It's like being very good at your job for a medium sized company in Southampton. They pay okay, the CV is looking alright and career path not too bad. You're happy in the area but then Google's HR team come along and ask if you want to join them, on an international stage, on more money. It's a no brainer unless you don't have ambition.

I think all our players have ambition else they wouldn't be here, pretty much all of them have joined for the "project" except the only first teamer who is left from the league 1 days, Fonte.

Makes sense...but it still does not explain why Everton keep their best players longer.. The Everton game clearly showed that five of their players are better than any we have; hence the 5th place and 73 points or whatever it was the season before last. From a fans perspective, we would surely be happier if we paid bigger wages to at least delay the inevitable. Losing one key player a season is better than our annual rebuild as its unsustainable in the long term.

Swap the Everton squad for the Southampton squad for the last two seasons and do you really believe things would have been any different? The same players would pretty much have ended up at the same clubs. Maybe Chambers would have stayed but then who is going to turn down £16m for Chambers?

Which he is. Sorted then.

He really isn't. Bottled challenges, given the ****ing run around all night, positional sense is that of an 11 year old and offers nothing going forward - his first thought is always backwards.

There was a point in the first half where Sisto went past Targett with so much ease he may as well have not been there, reminded me of a certain Gregory Vignal.

There was a point in the first half where Sisto went past Targett with so much ease he may as well have not been there, reminded me of a certain Gregory Vignal.

Sisto is top class, but has only turned 20 ... so in some games he only show his exceptional skills a few times, while in other games he makes all the difference ... He is 3 years younger than Eriksen, but with the same kind of talent and skills ... this is from last year, when he was only 19 :

[video=youtube;jp-kJS114uM]

He really isn't. Bottled challenges, given the ****ing run around all night, positional sense is that of an 11 year old and offers nothing going forward - his first thought is always backwards.

Massive overreaction.

From watching that you could almost be forgiven for thinking Saints didn't play quite as badly as people on here are making out.

That's what I thought. Someone on the thread mentioned composure and that's what it seemed we lacked most of all. They created almost nothing, and must have been absolutely delighted in contributing so little but getting away with a draw. I'm not sure that will work again though, and I'm still confident we'll go through, winning 2-0 over there.

Do think Targett looked better last season than he has this. Attacking game is poor and he hasn't balanced that by just being a solid, reliable defender.

Big chance for him at the start of the season and he hasn't taken it.

Caveat however - the guy who was ahead of him for Eng U21s in the summer, Luke Garbutt of Everton, has been loaned out to the Championship for the season. Realistically that is also Targett's current level, so lets not be too harsh.

really isn't. Layun/Diamanti will have a field day tomorrow too.

Well, I've watched the entire match twice, he didn't "bottle" any challenges, he wasn't given the run around all night - Midtjylland barely even attacked us for most of the game for a start, his positional sense was absolutely fine, and he's never offered anything going forward so that's hardly a surprise. He certainly could have done without slicing a clearance into his own box towards the end, and some dodgy crossing, but that still doesn't make him anything like as bad as you seem to think. He's not first choice, he doesn't deserve to be, but at the same time he's nowhere near as bad as some clowns are making out.

Vignal played Prem football for 4 clubs and Champions League football for Liverpool and in Spain's Primera Liga, so could be worse.

Well, I've watched the entire match twice, he didn't "bottle" any challenges, he wasn't given the run around all night - Midtjylland barely even attacked us for most of the game for a start, his positional sense was absolutely fine, and he's never offered anything going forward so that's hardly a surprise. He certainly could have done without slicing a clearance into his own box towards the end, and some dodgy crossing, but that still doesn't make him anything like as bad as you seem to think. He's not first choice, he doesn't deserve to be, but at the same time he's nowhere near as bad as some clowns are making out.

Vignal played Prem football for 4 clubs and Champions League football for Liverpool and in Spain's Primera Liga, so could be worse.

If you think getting nowhere near their winger and getting beat by him every time is no being given the run around then I'm glad you aren't the manager.

This. He was definitely ok on Thursday. Think some people see something one game and imagine it in others. He did bottle a challenge or two against Everton but only after he was booked, it was to do with ensuring he did not get sent off. Actually he was better attacking as well, some decent balls into the box. He gets compared to Shaw who never managed a goal or assist as far as I recall.