Watford v SAINTS - Build Up

Batman

-------------------Stek-------------------

Cedric-Fonte-Caulker-Targett

---------Wanyama-----Romeu-------

----------------------Davis----------------

Tadic--------------------------Mane

-----------------Pelle-----------------

Mane will come in from the left, but with a more solid midfield they can cover him better.

Seriously?

You'd drop Mane?

I'd use the word "rest" rather than "drop" :)

I'd like to see Jaunmi get a start and resting Mane and using him as an impact sub seems like a reasonable plan to me. I felt Mane was going through the motions at times last night so maybe not starting for one game might give him a bit of a jolt too.

All that said, I expect Ron will start with him. He's probably a better manager than me too :)

I'd use the word "rest" rather than "drop" :)

I'd like to see Jaunmi get a start and resting Mane and using him as an impact sub seems like a reasonable plan to me. I felt Mane was going through the motions at times last night so maybe not starting for one game might give him a bit of a jolt too.

All that said, I expect Ron will start with him. He's probably a better manager than me too :)

We have to play our best team against one of our key rivals, this could be a 6 pointer.

we used to have all week to prepare for our league games, now we do not

no real time to prepare for league games and little recovery time

He makes a good point really. It's not about total number of games when you're in Europe, it's the short recovery and preparation time. But hey, we wanted to be in Europe and this is where we are - hoping we can stabilise quickly and get a settled team.

We had no problem playing 2 games a week in league 1 and the championship. I'm not sure I buy the argument that Europe tires out English teams, I think it's more likely that they struggle with playing wildly differing styles of football in alternate games. We tried 2 styles in one game last night, so it at least looks like RK is determined to instill adaptivity into our squad.

Back on topic though. I think they'll either try to park the bus and fail at it, as it's just not them, or they'll play to their strengths and go all out attack, in which case Wanyama and Mane in particular will tear them apart. I'm going for a 3-1 victory for Saints.

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

We had no problem playing 2 games a week in league 1 and the championship. I'm not sure I buy the argument that Europe tires out English teams, I think it's more likely that they struggle with playing wildly differing styles of football in alternate games. We tried 2 styles in one game last night, so it at least looks like RK is determined to instill adaptivity into our squad.

Koeman has said on a couple of occasions that it's the inability to get on the training pitch and work through things they've identified from opponents. But the travel also impacts on fitness levels, how quickly injured players can recover, and longer journeys (which we've not had any of yet) will have a fatiguing effect as well.

Also, the level of performance required in L1 and Championship is far lower than in the Prem week in week out.

Back on topic though. I think they'll either try to park the bus and fail at it, as it's just not them, or they'll play to their strengths and go all out attack, in which case Wanyama and Mane in particular will tear them apart. I'm going for a 3-1 victory for Saints.

because neither league (for us) was as relentless as the premier league

in league 1, we had by a mile, the best team let alone squad.

in the NPC, we had a clutch of quality players, well above most in that league

far from the case this season in the prem

an away game in either league was not in another country. We imposed our game on other sides. Something we cant do in europe so much and the league I guess

That is what they say about people who have seen ahead of the crowd.

If you keep on saying we'll come 17th or perhaps get relegated one season it will happen, you will be correct, and you will have "seen ahead of the crowd". Excellent.

Clearly will bring back Cedric, Tadic and Davis; I would prefer Caulker to Yoshida; Vic and Romeu in the middle surely? Then just who partners Pelle up front, Long I expect, his turn to start - always looks better to me as an impact sub e.g. Newcastle. 442.

Fonte and Pelle appear to have missed training today. Cedric clearly has a very minor leg injury. Only 16 outfield players training, including Gaston. No youngsters other than JWP, Targett and Reed. I'm not reading anything into this, just saying.

Wouldn't have imagined they'd train the day after the game, they'll train tomorrow I expect.

Koeman said ''no injuries.''

Well they did. It wasn't a discussion point. Gallery on os/twitter.

Huh?

You said Fonte and Pelle appear to have missed training, so I said it's unlikely that they'd have trained straight after that game - especially as they've played 90mins in every game so far this season.

You've been wrong season after season and this one will be no different.

If you keep on saying we'll come 17th or perhaps get relegated one season it will happen, you will be correct, and you will have "seen ahead of the crowd". Excellent.

It isn't about being right or wrong for him, it's purely about attention. There is no point trying to argue with him because he genuinely could not care less if he is right. As long as people are paying attention to him, that's all he needs.

I kind of feel sorry for him that he has to resort to such sad behavior for people to pay attention to his life.

Is Fonte out?

if so, Europe not looking so appealing after all

That is the reality of playing in Europe with a squad that does not have the depth of quality of the likes of Manure, City and Chelski. Is the Europa worth even one single defeat in the EPL ? Nope IMO. Plus, I think we have a fight on our hands this year to keep clear of trouble at the wrong end of the table, but I am probably worrying unduly and in fact attention seeking.

That is the reality of playing in Europe with a squad that does not have the depth of quality of the likes of Manure, City and Chelski. Is the Europa worth even one single defeat in the EPL ? Nope IMO. Plus, I think we have a fight on our hands this year to keep clear of trouble at the wrong end of the table, but I am probably worrying unduly and in fact attention seeking.

Koeman has already said a few times that we have little time to prepare for league games and almost no recovery time compared to last season.

I really believe we will struggle in the league until we are out of europe and then pick up some form. very much like everton last season

Is Fonte out?

if so, Europe not looking so appealing after all

Moan, moan, moan, moan, moan, moan, moan.

Players get injured all the time. So what, we might finish a few places lower in the league because of some extra games?

Europe seems more appealing than ever and reaching the group stages would be a great achievement for the club. Go and ask the players if they'd rather play Europa games or not, judging from interviews the answer is an overwhelming "yes".

I would go for a more solid team for this one.

----------------------------------Stek-------------------------------

Cedric---------------Fonte--------Caulker-----------Yoshi

--------------------Vic--------------Romeu------------------

Davis---------------------JWP-----------------------Mane

------------------------------Pelle-------------------------

If Fonte and Pelle are injured then swap Targett in and move Yoshida and start with Long or Juanmi up front.

A draw won't be a bad result if we beat Norwich next weekend but that team still has a goal or two in it.

I'd hope the team is this:

---------------------Stek--------------------

Cedric------Fonte--------Caulker------Targett

------------Romelu------Wanyama------------

------------------Juanmi-----------------------

---Mane--------------------------JRod--------

------------------Pelle-------------------------

Not learning from previous games then?

Huh?

You said Fonte and Pelle appear to have missed training, so I said it's unlikely that they'd have trained straight after that game - especially as they've played 90mins in every game so far this season.

So why did everyone else train? No-one has said they are injured or unavailable, just merely pointing out that 2 players apparently missed training yesterday. Why specifically would Fonte and Pelle not train, if anyone I would have not been suprised at Yoshida, he was knackered with all the running he did on Thursday playing at RB instead of CB.

Not learning from previous games then?

Literally have no idea what would not have been learned from previous games by picking this side.

So why did everyone else train? No-one has said they are injured or unavailable, just merely pointing out that 2 players apparently missed training yesterday. Why specifically would Fonte and Pelle not train, if anyone I would have not been suprised at Yoshida, he was knackered with all the running he did on Thursday playing at RB instead of CB.

They are two of our older players and they're also two of our most essential players who've played every minute, they may need different recovery schedules to the others.

They are two of our older players and they're also two of our most essential players who've played every minute, they may need different recovery schedules to the others.

Could be. Possible excuses why Fonte and Pelle might have missed training. Hasn't Vic played every minute as well?

Yesterday's session was all about recovery.

Could be. Possible excuses why Fonte and Pelle might have missed training. Hasn't Vic played every minute as well?

Yesterday's session was all about recovery.

Wanyama is about 5 years younger than the others too. Different recovery plans seems the most likely.

Wanyama is about 5 years younger than the others too. Different recovery plans seems the most likely.

LOL. You don't give up do you. I'm sure both will play tomorrow but its quite funny when people find any excuse to avoid seeing that there might (just might) be a problem. It maybe that Pelle just had a previous appointment with the hairdresser to apply more gel.

LOL. You don't give up do you.

The9's points seem perfectly reasonable, especially when everything is scientific as it is these days. I can assure you that even in my team almost at the bottom of the football pyramid the older player has a different warm-up routine to the kids.;-)

The9's points seem perfectly reasonable, especially when everything is scientific as it is these days. I can assure you that even in my team almost at the bottom of the football pyramid the older player has a different warm-up routine to the kids.;-)

Maybe, I don't have an issue, and its not a warm-up session its a recover session the the day after the game. Its just funny when people scrabble around to try to justify something that really isn't very important and come up with new excuses. I have never ever seen Saints rest their "old" players from a recovery training session. All I did was point out that these 2 players were not training, s-clarke then implied that I was lying in even suggesting the team had trained (despite evidence that showed they did), then tried to change his argument that only the 2 of them were not training, then No9 chimes in with it being because they are so old and knackered that they probably got excused from the recovery session. My own view is that Pelle was probably at the hairdressers getting another layer of gel applied and Fonte was house hunting in Birmingham or looking for a care home vacancy because he is so old :) If its the latter I can probably help him, there is a room next to mine that is vacant.

FFS, not again.

Well at least you recognised it was the same argument. Did you see the breakdown of the Midtjylland match I did which showed that we're still playing the same 4-2-3-1 in the same way - except that Rodriguez played in the hole against them, and we didn't have any defensive problems caused by the AMs because we had Romeu and Wanyama shielding?

Not sure formation is the problem with Targett trying to catch out the rest of the defence by crossing the ball for Midtjylland, Fonte nodding it directly to Sparv, or Caulker repeatedly heading directly to their players 40 yards from goal. :D