Charlie Austin

Saint-Armstrong

Austin said he didn't know Saints was an option until a couple of weeks ago and had intended to stay until the summer but once he knew he wanted to come here.

Apparently he was keen to move south again.

Poole Town legend.

your name is more suited now

I remember a few huge threads back in our L1 days, when he was signing...but ended up not signing. I think he's been a long, long term club target - and after his amazing season last year in goal scoring terms, we probably felt he'd edged away from us in terms of finances and reputation....but no one took a gamble last summer (even after the big clubs were seemingly sniffing) and we've got ourselves a player for £4m, at 26 years old, who is in and around the England setup. Best deal we've done since I can remember.

Scored shed loads at Poole, scored shed loads at Swindon, scored shed loads at Burnley and then scored shed loads at QPR. He is just guaranteed goals, no argument.

It means that Pelle might be off. Goes with what I've heard.

Pelle the only one of the existing forwards who wouldn't appear to combine well with Austin.

Any of Mane, Long and Jay Rod could.

Worth noting Koeman also said Pelle's knee issue means his training will likely be restricted for a while.

Says he was happy to wait till the summer to move

but when realised we were in for him, wanted to get it down asap.

move closer to home and for a club that turned his head

cant wait to get going

scored a few goals against saints in the past

personally, I think he is miles better for us going forward than Pelle.

I really hope this does not mean long will leave

It's good business if we sign a proven PL goalscorer like Austin for 4 million and we get a bid from Juve for Pelle for around 10-15 million, Pelle is an Italian international, and although proven at this level he's older than Austin and somewhat more inconsistent. We're always going to be a club who is looking at the business side of deals, and this would make perfect sense. The ball is in Pelle's court, does he stay and fight for his place against Austin/Shane Long and possibly Jay Rod if he's back, or does he go back to his roots and go back to Italy with a point to prove. I'd say the latter.

Welcome to the club Charlie, it'll nice to see you score for us instead of against us.

Also Austin is in the RL mould, a complete striker with excellent technique, good in the air and a knack of scoring important goals from anywhere. He's the long awaited replacement we've wanted since RK moved.

Says he was happy to wait till the summer to move

but when realised we were in for him, wanted to get it down asap.

move closer to home and for a club that turned his head

cant wait to get going

scored a few goals against saints in the past

personally, I think he is miles better for us going forward than Pelle.

I really hope this does not mean long will leave

Really, i thought you would of told us before if that was the case.

How long before the must sell and reinvest cos he is crap thread

Driving along, minding my own business and listening to TalkSport when they interrupted their natter to say big breaking transfer news....now I knew it wouldn't be about Southampton so I was waiting for Manchester United or Liverpool...then he said Southampton and I am thinking...eek we have sold Mane...and went on... have signed Charlie Austin. F**k me. Not nearly a Kevin Keegan moment by any means but I did nearly drive off the road in surprise.

Very good point made by turks when this broke. I mentioned it could have been something to do with the caulker deal, turks said could also be connected to gaston leaving which would free up the wage bill. Either way, I'm well chuffed with this one, we've needed exactly this type of player for ages.

The kind of signing that makes the whole offense better. I can't wait to see him with the likes of Mane, Tadic and Long. Pelle is a good striker but the lack of mobility has become an issue, especially when he is out of form and not linking up the play. I hope we can keep both but wouldn't shed a tear if Graziano leaves either.

This is how you start a weekend, now we let's beat WBA and we are set :D

This sounds like an absolute bargain. I am surprised and delighted. Good timing. Gives the club a buzz again.

However, I am surprised that nobody has mentioned Jay Rodriguez. Does this mean he is not coming back from this injury?

Not in a hurry, I fear, if at all

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk