Charlie Austin

Saint-Armstrong

Excellent news, proven scorer,and it appears a bargain price.

Just hope he stays fit, and we don't have months of waiting for him to get fit to play.

Shame the deal wasn't done 10 days earlier, we might still be in the Cup.

Heard this just now in the car on Talksport. Amazing price but expect his wages are high so that will balance out. Hope we keep Pelle. It will be good to have more options up top.

Agree, I hope Pelle stays until the summer, although if we could use him in negotiations with Juventus for the midfield player we were linked with for a deal sooner, then fine.

I've not seen a lot of him at QPR, so I will reserve judgement as to how he will fit in to our side and how he will help make us better. Singing strikers doesn't always add goals. You have to supply the chances, especially if they are goal hangers.

What I can say is that I just can't get that Swindon game out of my mind. He destroyed us that night and because of that and his location I always thought that we'd somehow try to get him here at SMS, but of course our finances and situation never made it possible and I suspect there's no one at the club now that was there then anyway.

What I saw then was that he has a touch of arrogance and nastiness that the top level players need. He also was real confidence in his own ability and is a clinical finisher.

The fee looks small, just as the Cylne money was, but that 4.5 year deal at gods know what wages will be a millstone round neck if we somehow went down. But that's the non stop gamble of the prem and were not going down anyway. Great to sign an English player with something to prove...

Arguably the best finisher in the Premier League. This is an unbelievable signing and just what we need. He is a really strong lad probably his previous life as a hod carrier. I saw him recently playing for QPR and scoring two different goals both taken under pressure, however it was his constant movement away from markers and into dangerous positions that impressed me more than the goals themselves. He is always taking the runs to get on the end of moves that others don't do and what we have missed for years.

Arguably the best finisher in the Premier League. This is an unbelievable signing and just what we need. He is a really strong lad probably his previous life as a hod carrier. I saw him recently playing for QPR and scoring two different goals both taken under pressure, however it was his constant movement away from markers and into dangerous positions that impressed me more than the goals themselves. He is always taking the runs to get on the end of moves that others don't do and what we have missed for years.

Should work with tadic then

Agree with this, here's his Prem goals last year in a poor QPR side, complete striker. If he gets near this form we've got hell of a bargain -

I know these compilations can be misleading but what I like is that he scores all kind of goals. He clearly has a goalscorers instinct.

I know this is a different subject but Ralph Kruegers interview above was not exactly reassuring that nobody would leave in this window.

Ralph on Austin...

Fits our current needs

Been on our radar by a few months. Lots of info on him by our recruiting team

Been wanting to enhance the number of English players

he is yet to reach his prime

has huge hunger to reach his best and has huge desire to play for national side

He was our No.1 target for this window and ticks every box

we want players who want to grow with the club

a lot of player we signed have been under 24 years old and now right to bring in a player his age

we believe he will push us up the league

conversations with the manager are regular and nothing has changed

the plans we have here are big but it has been tough recently

depth of the squad is really important, it cost us dearly this time last year

we expect to finish top half of the league but you never know

we are now pleased with the depth of the squad and have good options

it would be ideal to keep everyone from now

it stands today that no one will leave but we can never say never

we need to re-group and nothing is a given this window

I like this.

Club playing their cards close to their chest and getting a proven scorer, who scores on instinct, to bolster a team that gets loads of balls into the area but fails at the last third.

Not only that, he'll be kean to get back on Roys register so I feel he'll turn thsi around and work his balls of if he gets the service to secure his palce in the England team.

Well done all at the club.

Also Ron and Ralph have said one in, none out, (according to Solent).

Or will they make some more sneaky peeky signings?

My bro is a QPR fan so I watch QPR any chance I get.

It's a great signing - and he's fantastic in the air as well, which he doesn't always get credit for.

Just DON'T let him near the penalties. He cost QPR a lot of points last season in missed pens. Usually in tight games at 0-0 or 0-1.

Pleased with this piece of business. I was in the home dug out he scored four past my Wessex League side on a pitch behind a secondary school with a stand of 100 seats and around 30 people in attendance.

Eight years or so later, he's now lining up as a Saints striker.