• Wanyama
    • Clasie
    • Tadić
    • Mané
    • Long
    • Romeu
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Austin

Funny how Schneiderlin was happy to applaud the Saints fans when they beat us earlier in the season. Wasn't interested today though.....

I reckon applauding the supporters of his old club, while his team were being booed off the pitch, might have been a politically poor decision...

Please read the entire sentence and then by all means give your opinion on that.

AD said that it was a phenomenal performance in that we limited them to one shot on goal in the entire match.

Do you disagree?

Wes I appreciate your comment. We all see a game differently. You never win at Old Trafford without player well.

Even Koeman said it was fantastic. We should respect Batmans reply and agree or not. I know which one I'll be doing.

Please read the entire sentence and then by all means give your opinion on that.

AD said that it was a phenomenal performance in that we limited them to one shot on goal in the entire match.

Do you disagree?

I agree. Just think we have played better and lost.

the 1st half was a terrible game of football.

the result is absolutely fantastic even Ronald said we were not so good offensively. He said that despite the win

we will play far better and not win this season, that is for sure

It would be nice to think that having seen post-match video evidence of this form of cheating, that the FA would grow a pair and issue an edict to referees that it isn't acceptable and that in future more stringent action will be taken to stamp it out, with punishment meted out after the match if not seen during the match. I won't hold my breath though, especially when we are talking about the serial offender being an England defender playing for the biggest glory club at Old Trafford.

Wes I agree 100%. When is a foul not a foul? When it's in the box

It would be nice to think that having seen post-match video evidence of this form of cheating, that the FA would grow a pair and issue an edict to referees that it isn't acceptable and that in future more stringent action will be taken to stamp it out, with punishment meted out after the match if not seen during the match. I won't hold my breath though, especially when we are talking about the serial offender being an England defender playing for the biggest glory club at Old Trafford.

The problem with this is it may disadvantage the culprit's team but gives an advantage to another team not us!

I agree. Just think we have played better and lost.

the 1st half was a terrible game of football.

the result is absolutely fantastic even Ronald said we were not so good offensively. He said that despite the win

we will play far better and not win this season, that is for sure

We won at Old Trafford so I am not sure what the problem is. Is it better to play well and lose?

Fair play on the Davis call vectis - I'll be taking more notice if your observations from now on.

It doesn't always indicate anything but its lets say unusual when a player is obviously missing in these pictures and videos that the club deliberately put out there. I never heard anyone say what was wrong, did anyone ask Ronald in the pre-match build up? He did get clattered in the Watford game but looked ok against WBA and was training on Monday with Charlie. Would like him to be back for Arsenal.

It doesn't always indicate anything but its lets say unusual when a player is obviously missing in these pictures and videos that the club deliberately put out there. I never heard anyone say what was wrong, did anyone ask Ronald in the pre-match build up? He did get clattered in the Watford game but looked ok against WBA and was training on Monday with Charlie. Would like him to be back for Arsenal.

I didn't hear anything pre match re any injury to Davis - although a great victory yesterday I thought we missed his endeavour - so yes would love to see him back for arsenal

Because we weren't great. We were solid defensively but as Koeman rightly pointed out, our attacking play was very average. With 10 minutes to go I was irritated because I could see how awful United were but it didn't look as if we would punish them for it. thankfully Austin got us the goal and we won, but we have played much better than that this season and lost.

the story of the game WAS just how appalling Man Utd are at the moment, despite spending obscene amounts of money

Gotta agree with this .

They were rubbish but we were frustrating as hell to watch .

Koeman may have won back a bit of support but I really don't rate him at all .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

I don't think we played that badly in the last third, instead that UTD defended strongly and tightly and made any movement on the ball very difficult for Mane/Tadic/Long. A weaker defense would have made our forwards look a helluva lot better.

Back to back league wins at Old Trafford - never thought I'd see that (wasn't around in the late 1960s when Ron Davies and co achieved it). Probably not quite as good a performance as last season but still a highly impressive win and should really boost the confidence further ahead of the Emirates. 10 day break useful to get over a few knocks including Clasie. Fellaini got away with a blatant elbow and Smalling constantly grabbing VVD's shirt.

Who cares though - great 3 points and an enjoyable run-in coming up.

Wins at Old Trafford like London buses. None for ages then two come along at once.

We all remember the 4-1 win at Old Trafford in 1969 when Big Ron scored all four, but I had forgotten that we won there the previous year when Man U were European champions. On checking it turns out that we did the double over them in 1968-69. Our record against Man U is actually not that great but we beat them three times in a row in the late sixties.

Wins at Old Trafford like London buses. None for ages then two come along at once.

We all remember the 4-1 win at Old Trafford in 1969 when Big Ron scored all four, but I had forgotten that we won there the previous year when Man U were European champions. On checking it turns out that we did the double over them in 1968-69. Our record against Man U is actually not that great but we beat them three times in a row in the late sixties.

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr no but then I wasn't actually born for another 5 years after that...;)

Well, it seems that several of us have commented on the cheat Smalling and his habitual pulling of players' shirts. This represents an offence which ought to be punished by a penalty if it seriously impedes a rival team's player from getting to the ball in the box. Perhaps because he is a player for the England National team and he plays for Man Utd, referees don't have the balls to punish this misbehaviour, especially at Old Trafford.

In the same way that players were prevented from encroaching into the 10 yards marked out when a free kick is awarded by the simple expedient of the referee drawing a line on the turf with shaving foam, there have been three suggested simple solutions on this thread to the problem of players cheating by pulling rival players' shirts.

All out-field players to wear mittens, which would prevent them grabbing a fist full of shirt.

Velcroed shirts which would come apart when pulled. The only problem with that is that the shirt would need to pieced together again, which could cause delays.

Players to wear skin-tight shirts. A simple solution that could presumably be applied by any clubs who wished to employ it. Maybe we ought to wear them next time we encounter Smalling or other known culprits and see how they fare. But is there an issue of comfort, that the players might not like playing with tighter shirts?

If the FA don't feel inclined to act to prevent this form of cheating by instructing the referees to punish it, then perhaps they could investigate some of these other possible solutions.

Well, it seems that several of us have commented on the cheat Smalling and his habitual pulling of players' shirts. This represents an offence which ought to be punished by a penalty if it seriously impedes a rival team's player from getting to the ball in the box. Perhaps because he is a player for the England National team and he plays for Man Utd, referees don't have the balls to punish this misbehaviour, especially at Old Trafford.

In the same way that players were prevented from encroaching into the 10 yards marked out when a free kick is awarded by the simple expedient of the referee drawing a line on the turf with shaving foam, there have been three suggested simple solutions on this thread to the problem of players cheating by pulling rival players' shirts.

All out-field players to wear mittens, which would prevent them grabbing a fist full of shirt.

Velcroed shirts which would come apart when pulled. The only problem with that is that the shirt would need to pieced together again, which could cause delays.

Players to wear skin-tight shirts. A simple solution that could presumably be applied by any clubs who wished to employ it. Maybe we ought to wear them next time we encounter Smalling or other known culprits and see how they fare. But is there an issue of comfort, that the players might not like playing with tighter shirts?

If the FA don't feel inclined to act to prevent this form of cheating by instructing the referees to punish it, then perhaps they could investigate some of these other possible solutions.

Simple solution: no shirts, just coloured body paint.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/15/55/b7/1555b70633562c61c121ae9807ceaecb.jpg

Edited by Whitey Grandad

Works for Rugby Union

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Never usef to be a problem when we played skins v shirts. Most players already wear skin tight garments under their shirts, pretty obvious when Charlie came on yesterday. The long sleeved green vest was a very different colour to his short sleeved shirt. Seems such an obvious thing to do.

Gotta agree with this .

They were rubbish but we were frustrating as hell to watch .

Koeman may have won back a bit of support but I really don't rate him at all .

OK but as you are a bit clueless, it counts for zilch

You are such a sad pathetic little man aren't you . I'm surprised you don't have a happy clappy forum of your own . One where you are the only member seeing as you can't deal with any opinion different to your own .

Funny how more and more posters are attacking you for it yet you still deny it .

Got to be a skate on a wind-up.

Heaven forbid someone has an opinion .

It was a great result but a poor game .

We have beaten 3 poor sides in a row . Koeman has hardly transformed himself in to the messiah .

Our formation recently has been very successful but its too early to get too excited just yet . Will wait til we play a side thats in form

When you say we have beaten 3 poor sides in a row, do you not think that the way we play might stifle teams and make them look bad, or worse than they are? While I am not going to say Utd are a great team, the radio commentators said that we had set up and strangled Utd and that Utd had no way of breaking us down and credit to us for that. As for teams in form, before Watford turned up they weren't too bad - P8, W5, D1, L2 - the draw away at Chelsea and the loses at home to Spuds and City.

Got to be a skate on a wind-up.

The fact that he understands what it is like to support the team unlike the wet feeble twts who are only 2 defeats away from pleading to sack the manager preaching how bad Long and Clasie are.

Comical and never learn

There was a moment in the match commentary when the 'tater said "That would be a foul in any other part of the pitch". When did they change the rules for play within the penalty area ?

I've often felt like there's a book's worth of writing on this: - deep down everyone knows that a penalty for an innocuous foul in the box is a disproportionately harsh punishment, but those are the rules of football, and psychologically the supposed injustice of it all clearly plays a part when referees make decisions.

One of my most memorable moments in my (very humble) playing days was when I was tripped inside the box as I spun away from a defender up my arse. I was genuinely tripped and the ref had a good look at it, but struggled to give a penalty. I quickly shouted "ref, REF! anywhere else on the pitch! c'mon ANYWHERE ELSE ON THE PITCH!" and after about 2-3 seconds of thought, he did give the penalty :lol:

(I maintain to this day it was the correct decision, but I like to think (and I'm not sure I'm wrong!) that my spur-of-the-moment comment made the difference).

Anyway, the point is that there's clearly and unwritten, unspoken knowledge in football: - that a foul inside the box (if the attacking player isn't in a threatening position) just doesn't quite deserve to be punished with a penalty. Sometimes you even hear pundits almost outright coming out and saying it without realising they're doing so. I'm not sure I haven't heard someone like Niall Quinn or Michael Owen saying something like "ahh...not sure I'd be givin' tat in ta box"

It's a fair point, I once got a penalty whilst running out of the box away from the goal towards the touchline with the ball when the defender clipped my heels. I just lay there face down laughing with my toes just about still in the area, totally needless foul.

My favorite quote from The Red Cafe

Once Ward-Prowse came on, you just hoped the United players didn't make stupid fouls in their defensive half....but sure enough they did!

I liked " Shane Long is African for White Drogba"

Or perhaps one of the 3 officials opening their eyes and having tha b**ls to signal a foul, I've seen some given but most ignored so whats the policy here? Outside the box its 100% free kick if spotted, Smalling does it all the time, even in restaurants apparently.....and still gets away with it.

The problem with this is it may disadvantage the culprit's team but gives an advantage to another team not us!

Unfortunately Jose is just as guilty of shirt pulling as anyone who plays against us, so we'd probably end up giving away just as many penalties as we were awarded. If you watch him closely he does it at least a couple of times each match usually against the players he struggles to handle like Walters, Mirralas & Giroud.

I'd like referees to give a foul for ANY shirt pull.

There is no reason for any player to grab another player's shirt unless it is to foul him. Corners have become comical.

I'm struggling to recall the exact incident, and when it was... but I read of a striker, who when having his shirt continually pulled throughout a game, suddenly took it off and handed it to the defender who had harrassed him ....... " you want it so badly, you can take it "

RESULT : the ref. proceeded to book the striker for ..."ungentlemanly conduct ". :rolleyes: You just can win, eh ?

I'm struggling to recall the exact incident, and when it was... but I read of a striker, who when having his shirt continually pulled throughout a game, suddenly took it off and handed it to the defender who had harrassed him ....... " you want it so badly, you can take it "

RESULT : the ref. proceeded to book the striker for ..."ungentlemanly conduct ". :rolleyes: You just can win, eh ?

Removing your shirt is a mandatory yellow, as is shirt-tugging come to that. These days it's called 'unsporting behaviour' presumably because not all players are gentlemen any more and may not actually be men.

On penalties, as a linesman I was once told by the referee that if I flagged for a penalty I had to be 110% sure of it.

I'm not saying that shirt pulling is ok, but on one replay I saw of Smalling-Van Dijk, I didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as the one at Chelsea. Whilst I would be ok with a penalty being given every time so it would eventually stop, if we're being realistic (i.e. it won't stop completely) I'd say there is shirt-pulling where a defender is stopping the player escaping from them, and shirt-pulling where you're stopping the player getting to the ball. The second one, as at Chelsea, really has to be punished.