Alex Chamberlain available in the summer?

Saint Charlie

IF TRUE..... then he would become the most experienced " former Academy " player in our squad, and I don't think there would be any fan animosity to his return, either.

At the time he left Saints, we were an up-and coming, soon-to-be-promoted Championship side, whereas there was much more pedigree in the Arsenal squad.

Today, we don't have to look so many places up the Prem. table to see Arsenal, and even those who might want to dismiss this seasons 4-0 / 0-0 games as flukey, can't deny that there is not a vast gap between the potential of the two sides. Even though Arsenal qualify for CL every season, they don't come close to winning it either.

Although they haven't won any Euro titles, it is still a hard job to break into the "Arsenal team proper," and Wenger has very few favourites who he will play every game.

Clearly Alex isn't first choice, but he has played at Prem, FA Cup and CL level and DAJF them, when I've seen him. Likewise he's had game time with England and looked OK.

so in general ..a good prospect who is still only 22 ?.....even if we need to pay the same level of fee to get him back....he'd be worth a go in this market.

Injuries of course, play a role, but I always ask myself if (in desperation) clubs sometimes rush players back before they are properly fit. (Kompany at Man City example).

Saints seem to be a bit more patient with their returning injuries, or perhaps just have better medical personnel (?) .maybe AOC needs better treatment of injuries?.

At any rate ...a return to a club he knows well, and to fans who already know his potential.... sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Edited by david in sweden

At any rate ...a return to a club he knows well, and to fans who already know his potential.... sounds like a no-brainer to me.

The move would make sense and be beneficial to him getting his career back on track with game time rather tha n being a loose part of a larger squad at say, City or Liverpool.

Unfortunately though such a "no brainer" is likely to be scuppered by other influences, £££, his own ego, and that of his father.

The move would make sense and be beneficial to him getting his career back on track with game time rather tha n being a loose part of a larger squad at say, City or Liverpool.

Unfortunately though such a "no brainer" is likely to be scuppered by other influences, £££, his own ego, and that of his father.

of course THAT is the unknown factor, Arsenal may want to get rid of ...and we ....to sign him, but although money is a key factor,

......he's more likely to be one of the first on our team sheet, rather than only getting a chance of being on the Arsenal bench...

I'm not saying i wouldn't have Oxo back or Morgan if he was available.......but there is no way on gods green earth either would come back here. It would be seen as failure on their part to return and a step down....also the money they get paid means there is no way Saints would pay anything like it.

I really don't think it is realistic to think ex Saints players would return here.....i know it has happened in the past but i'm not expecting either anytime soon.

I'm not saying i wouldn't have Oxo back or Morgan if he was available.......but there is no way on gods green earth either would come back here. It would be seen as failure on their part to return and a step down....also the money they get paid means there is no way Saints would pay anything like it.

I really don't think it is realistic to think ex Saints players would return here.....i know it has happened in the past but i'm not expecting either anytime soon.

You are right more or less.

Maybe, but Swansea got Sigurdsson back.

• 2 weeks later...
Why do People want get rid of wanyama...crazy, we are so much better in midfield when he plays

I don't want rid of him myself. It was just a theoretical move that IF we want Ox, and IF Vic tells the club he won't sign a new deal & Arsenal want him, it wouldn't be beyond the realms of impossibility a P/X could get discussed.

Crazy that the lad is still 22 and is already finding issues with his fitness. And this at a club like Arsenal who are not exactly renowned for their high intensity, 'hard-nosed' style of football. I think it would be a mutually beneficial move for him to return here, but not at the expense of other players like Mane who is super-fit and usually always available. Juanmi replacement perhaps?

Apparently he is saying that he wont go to another London club out of respect to the @rse. I hope he goes somewhere to get game time rather than being a bench warmer.

if that is true. who else would be tempting?

Liverpool? City? City would only want him to bump their home grown quota surely?

united? United will probably go down the galactico route again, I reckon

if none of those clubs want him....I could see liverpool going for it.

surely, we would be a cracking fit. Still in the south, top 10-8 club. He would be more than welcome back by the vast majority and would play most games.

Liverpool have plenty of attacking midfielders. If he doesn't want London, Saints would be one of the best choices. Guaranteed football, probably play central if he wants, and might replace Mane I guess. I'd rather have Chamberlain, think he'll end up being far better than Mane.

I'd love to end up with Chamberlain Long and Rodriguez in attack. So much faster and more mobile.

Really? What would that say to the rest of the players then that some ex youngster coming back would get guaranteed football when he's been a bit part player at best for years at his current club?

Really? What would that say to the rest of the players then that some ex youngster coming back would get guaranteed football when he's been a bit part player at best for years at his current club?

It would say that RK understands better than his current manager how to get the best out of him.

Stop being silly. He would have a part to play in every game if fit and weanaged to sign him. Would be quite a coup.

If it's correct he wants football and not in London then.

Spurs out for obvious reasons, no Chelsea, no West Ham.

Man City he's just going to another bench, probably more likely to be further down the pecking order especially as Pep is likely to bring a big name or two more familiar to him. With Silva, Nasri, Sterling, De Bruyne, Navas they are well covered AM wise like Arsenal.

Man Utd lack any good wingers really, so that's a possibility, respect for fans though would seem odd to move to Utd.

Liverpool look obvious, better chance of football, well respected manager, rebuilding the team, they are just well stocked in those areas.

Leicester, probably champions, definitely in the Champs League and will probably need to replace Mahrez.

I'd go Liverpool most likely, then Man Utd with us and Leicester outsiders equal with the chance of him staying at Arsenal.

Would be the kind of signing that I think would convince Ronald to stay though if we went out and got him.

Standard John Cross.

He is onto Arsenal's eight top summer target now incidentally. It was Wanyama a couple of months ago. Eventually one sticks.

Similar to this. Probably agent fed to see who else is keen or Saints PR with season tickets on sale

#scattergun

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, pretty much. I asked Fonte about this last night when I spoke to him but the quotes are being held back for tomorrow's paper, I believe.

He said a bit more than there is in those ClubCall quotes, but that's the general gist of it. If the paper don't use all the quotes, I can bung the full transcript up here.