Alex Chamberlain available in the summer?

Saint Charlie

• 3 weeks later...

If Liverpool want him, can see that being the biggest conceivable club that would want him, they are a slight step down from Arsenal and have bought CL club cast-offs before (ie Sturridge, Milner).

After that, a CL-funded Leicester or a desperate to fill a stadium West Ham might be the genuine competition for us. Odd that The Mirror link Man City as being interested. Why would they be? Lazy lying scumbag journalists etc etc etc.

The article suggests his motive for potentially leaving Arsenal would be for more Premier League starts. If that is the case, which club higher than us in the league is likely to offer him more?

I expect there would be more motivation than just premier league starts. The article does not say that would be his only motivation. I expect he would back himself at one of the other big clubs if they come in for him. I'd love us to get him but I doubt we will.

If Liverpool want him, can see that being the biggest conceivable club that would want him, they are a slight step down from Arsenal and have bought CL club cast-offs before (ie Sturridge, Milner).

After that, a CL-funded Leicester or a desperate to fill a stadium West Ham might be the genuine competition for us. Odd that The Mirror link Man City as being interested. Why would they be? Lazy lying scumbag journalists etc etc etc.

Man City need English players for their Champions League squad, as per UEFA regulations that requires a minimum number.

The article suggests his motive for potentially leaving Arsenal would be for more Premier League starts. If that is the case, which club higher than us in the league is likely to offer him more?

For some reason West Ham spring to mind.

Forget what the mirror says and use your head. Yes he'll be leaving for more game time but his primary aim will be to get as much money as he can. WHU and many other teams around us can blow us out of the water when it comes to wages. AOC would probably need to drop at least 40k a week to become one of our top earners. I'd love him to return but it's a huge long shot.

He's more than good enough to be a good improvement on Davis and as such (given the fact it's not worked brilliantly for him at Arse) he would have an excellent opportunity to establish himself as a top player for us. I'd love it if he came "home"!!

Don't forget same papers running Messi to City and Neymar to Utd again to help the easily excitable. Anyone who reads and believe a tabloid transfer story esp in international week and believes it makes me laugh.

Oh but it's David Kidd, oh it's John Cross he is so connected. Oh it's Martin Lipton etc. I prefer to just based on evidence of a success rate of something like 1 in 10.

Oh and btw the highly regarded Henry Winter said Koeman will be Arsenal manager in the summer.

But hang on Darren Lewis told us it would be Chelsea.

Forget what the mirror says and use your head. Yes he'll be leaving for more game time but his primary aim will be to get as much money as he can. WHU and many other teams around us can blow us out of the water when it comes to wages. AOC would probably need to drop at least 40k a week to become one of our top earners. I'd love him to return but it's a huge long shot.

So what is the deal with WHU finances few years ago they were struggling weren't they? Now they have money to burn is this just down to the dodgy Olympic stadium deal or have they got some other income stream?

So what is the deal with WHU finances few years ago they were struggling weren't they? Now they have money to burn is this just down to the dodgy Olympic stadium deal or have they got some other income stream?

Dildo sales always increase in a recession

I'd like to think this is a win-win option for everyone. He knows what we're all about, we've proven we can not only improve players but also help their international careers, he would be a 'star' in our team (thereby massaging his ego) and with the increased revenue I'm sure we could pay him well.

On our side, we get an attacking player who we know a lot about (in terms of attitude and personality), who would provide balance to our team (him on one side, Mane the other), add pace and creativity and an attacking threat.

His injury record might not be great, but Arsenal have a habit of breaking players and our physio team are pretty decent, so I'm sure we could help him there too.

He left Saints too early for his own good. He would have developed unto a better footballer here than under Wenger's tutelage, and been fitter. If he returned this could continue, but I doubt that his heart is with a return. He might consider this a sideways move.

He left Saints too early for his own good. He would have developed unto a better footballer here than under Wenger's tutelage, and been fitter. If he returned this could continue, but I doubt that his heart is with a return. He might consider this a sideways move.

As did (to a large extent) Walcott. And while it's still too early to say about Chambers, he can hardly be considered to have come on at Arsenal.

Chambers

2015/16 - 12 PL games @ 312 minutes

2014/15 - 23 PL games @ 1569 minutes

2013/14 - 22 PL games @ 1640 minutes (at Saints)

This season: Squad: x25, Starting eleven: x2, Substituted in: x10, On the bench (and not used): x13, Suspended: x0, Injured: x0

Our young players have to decide what is important to them. Do they want to be bench warmers at Arsenal but get paid a lot more than with us, or do they want to be a little more patient and develop into more complete players before moving, even if it takes a couple more years? I guess the lure of going from £5-10k a week (no mean wage) to £50k a week is too much.

As did (to a large extent) Walcott. And while it's still too early to say about Chambers, he can hardly be considered to have come on at Arsenal.

Chambers

2015/16 - 12 PL games @ 312 minutes

2014/15 - 23 PL games @ 1569 minutes

2013/14 - 22 PL games @ 1640 minutes (at Saints)

This season: Squad: x25, Starting eleven: x2, Substituted in: x10, On the bench (and not used): x13, Suspended: x0, Injured: x0

Our young players have to decide what is important to them. Do they want to be bench warmers at Arsenal but get paid a lot more than with us, or do they want to be a little more patient and develop into more complete players before moving, even if it takes a couple more years? I guess the lure of going from £5-10k a week (no mean wage) to £50k a week is too much.

And on top of that they believe the myth that Wenger/Arsenal are good at developing players. They simply sign 18-22 uear olds in large numbers and get lucky a few times but the vast majority do not make it.

From the outside looking in it seems to me that Wenger has "a system" which he applies to all and if that works he looks great but he does not flex his system to suit the individual. He is clearly a very stubborn ego driven coach.

And on top of that they believe the myth that Wenger/Arsenal are good at developing players. They simply sign 18-22 uear olds in large numbers and get lucky a few times but the vast majority do not make it.

From the outside looking in it seems to me that Wenger has "a system" which he applies to all and if that works he looks great but he does not flex his system to suit the individual. He is clearly a very stubborn ego driven coach.

You can see why there is a growing number of Arsenal fans who want him gone !

Playing the full 90mins 9/10 times in 5 years at Arsenal has proved that was a sideways move,we are not challenging for the title but we are in and around the top 4-7,and with the right players we could do a Leicester.

He may feel we are a backstep/sideways move but he is not as good as he or his father believes

AOC at Arsenal, PL only ....

2011/12 - Squad: 26, Starting eleven: 6, Substituted in: 10, On the bench: 10, Suspended: 0, Injured: 0 = total 558 minutes. 2 goals, 1 assist

2012/13 - Squad: 34, Starting eleven: 11, Substituted in: 14, On the bench: 9, Suspended: 0, Injured: 3 = total 1062 minutes. 1 goal, 5 assists

2013/14 - Squad: 16, Starting eleven: 6, Substituted in: 8, On the bench: 2, Suspended: 0, Injured: 22 = 523 minuites. 2 goals. 3 assists

2014/15 - Squad: 24, Starting eleven: 17, Substituted in: 6, On the bench: 1, Suspended: 0, Injured: 13 = 1495 minutes. 1 goal. 1 assist

2015/16 - Squad: 23, Starting eleven: 9, Substituted in: 13, On the bench: 1, Suspended: 0, Injured: 7 = 924 minutes. 1 goal. 1 assist

So looking on paper, he has had a lot of injuries and doesn't score many goals or have many assists. If you take the goals/assists into consideration, then it is worst than Gaston (who I know people love so much for his breathtaking performances!).

I sometimes get the feeling the the big clubs just sign UK players so that they fill the quota for CL if any good, AS WELL AS stopping their competitors from signing them.

AOC at Arsenal, PL only ....

2011/12 - Squad: 26, Starting eleven: 6, Substituted in: 10, On the bench: 10, Suspended: 0, Injured: 0 = total 558 minutes. 2 goals, 1 assist

2012/13 - Squad: 34, Starting eleven: 11, Substituted in: 14, On the bench: 9, Suspended: 0, Injured: 3 = total 1062 minutes. 1 goal, 5 assists

2013/14 - Squad: 16, Starting eleven: 6, Substituted in: 8, On the bench: 2, Suspended: 0, Injured: 22 = 523 minuites. 2 goals. 3 assists

2014/15 - Squad: 24, Starting eleven: 17, Substituted in: 6, On the bench: 1, Suspended: 0, Injured: 13 = 1495 minutes. 1 goal. 1 assist

2015/16 - Squad: 23, Starting eleven: 9, Substituted in: 13, On the bench: 1, Suspended: 0, Injured: 7 = 924 minutes. 1 goal. 1 assist

So looking on paper, he has had a lot of injuries and doesn't score many goals or have many assists. If you take the goals/assists into consideration, then it is worst than Gaston (who I know people love so much for his breathtaking performances!).

I sometimes get the feeling the the big clubs just sign UK players so that they fill the quota for CL if any good, AS WELL AS stopping their competitors from signing them.

Those stars don't look great but he is still only 22. His development has stalled but that does not necessarily mean there is not a chan e he can still improve. I think he's one of those who needs to be trusted and given a chance in one specific role and I think he could be a great AM. I also think if we did get him back he would likely be here for a long time. We could probably get him for less than 15 whereas a slightly more established AM may easily cost 20+. It's going to be an interesting summer I think for signings especially given that it's Euros which likely means a few early signings by clubs but most likely most won't happen for 2-4 weeks post Euros!!

when he played for us his marauded down the right wing as part of a four man midfield. I don't think he ever played that role at Arsenal. IMO Wenger hasn't used him in the right way.

IMO he was and maybe still is the perfect player for that position. Pace and skills to beat defenders, engine to get up and down and an actual football brain to enable him to know when to go/stay, when to pass/beat a man. Instead he was played as a winger or a centre midfielder, which isn't a problem for him, but have made him less effective.

I'd take him back immediately, but I suspect he will get offers from one of the big clubs just like Wayne Bridge did when Chelsea allowed him to leave.

when he played for us his marauded down the right wing as part of a four man midfield. I don't think he ever played that role at Arsenal. IMO Wenger hasn't used him in the right way.

IMO he was and maybe still is the perfect player for that position. Pace and skills to beat defenders, engine to get up and down and an actual football brain to enable him to know when to go/stay, when to pass/beat a man. Instead he was played as a winger or a centre midfielder, which isn't a problem for him, but have made him less effective.

I'd take him back immediately, but I suspect he will get offers from one of the big clubs just like Wayne Bridge did when Chelsea allowed him to leave.

Yet he always maintained he enjoyed playing in the middle more. He'd be an excellent signing to play anywhere as the 3 behind the striker if you ask me.

A 'no brainer' IMO, his history with us might give us a slight edge over say your West Hams, Evertons etc. The lure of a Liverpool or a Chelsea might be too much for him though.

Depends on him as a person really, whether he wants to get more game time and develop his talent then he'd not go to a Chelsea etc. If he wants a pay day and continue to sit on the bench then he will.

I'd also wonder whether we'd actually go for him, though the lure of bringing home an academy product is there, but we don;t seem to be ever market for the 'available' players having planned more long term.

Personally I'd go up to £20 million for him.

think Les Reed knows how to swing a deal, and he might surprise us all with a cut price fee..

I don't know how long Alex's contract has to run? but he clearly hasn't met Wenger's expectations...and with Ramsey and Wilshere in and out of the treatment room, I can't see Wenger wanting to hang on to a player that he doesn't even consider as first-choice when he must have his eye on more midfield cover.

Of course the various injuries may give cause for concern, but at 22 ....in the current state of the market, it must be a no-brainer.

Arsenal might just want to cut their losses to get him off the wage bill.

I think Alex was right to take the chance to move when he did, but equally sure that those fans who remember him - would welcome him back with open arms.

Agree with all of this, he'd be perfect for us to play on the right in a good old fashioned 442 which I hope we will use more next season. I doubt he wants to come back here though and I think we'll be priced out, it wouldn't surprise me if he went to City or the like for 25 million+

Take away the fact that he played for us and you are left with an Arsenal reserve for £20m and £75k per week.

We can get better for less and he wouldn't come back for the sake of pride.

nearly every single player we buy would be an 'arsenal reserve'

many, less than that

Getting a bit ahead of myself but I'm assuming having Oxo back on the books would give us another home grown player for European exploits?

Either way, irrespective of cost, I don't like his injury record. Best steer clear, no matter how talented.

the Olympic stadium deal with help them as will the new tv contract. I suspect they have been more willing that we to spend next year's money this year. But they do take in more than we do and that will (aside from league position) only change to our detriment over the next several years. See this Swiss Ramble article about them:

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/search/label/West%20Ham

Its widely thought that sports writers, desperate to get a story past their editor, will make up any fiction necessary. In the real world, football clubs make decisions on which players to try to recruit on a whole range of different factors. The player having been at the club previously is most unlikely to be a factor in such a decision, unless the player was so keen that it affected his wage demand or the transfer fee. This 'story' has all the hallmarks of a manufactured sports page filler. My only regret now is that I wasted 2 or 3 minutes commenting on it......

Doubt wages is particularly an issue, with the TV deals most established premier league clubs can afford £60-80K a week for a few of their star players.

I doubt anyone is going to give him over £100k, West Ham might throw some money at him I suppose, they seem to being linked with every out of sort player at top clubs. If they are going for someone like Benteke for £25-30 million, I doubt they will be able to do another £15-20 million.

Probably the best place for him to go if he wasn't an Arsenal player would be Spurs, he'd very nicely fit into their squad, would get Champions league football and probably get more games.

At a guess Liverpool or a cash flushed Everton, or maybe to sit on the bench at Man City to fill their english quota.

Its widely thought that sports writers, desperate to get a story past their editor, will make up any fiction necessary. In the real world, football clubs make decisions on which players to try to recruit on a whole range of different factors. The player having been at the club previously is most unlikely to be a factor in such a decision, unless the player was so keen that it affected his wage demand or the transfer fee. This 'story' has all the hallmarks of a manufactured sports page filler. My only regret now is that I wasted 2 or 3 minutes commenting on it......

I slightly disagree. AOC's former presence here would make him an advantageous person to have on the squad if we qualify for Europe. In effect, he would be a free player who could be added to our squad list without having to remove anyone else we would be likely to play. I am also skeptical that sports writers in general make things up. I think they accurately report things that other people make up and tell them and do an insufficient job of checking the facts before publishing them. Otherwise I agree with you.