Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

I think if anything annoyed me about our transfers it was Elia and Djuricic. We had a genuine chance of Champions League qualification in Koeman's first season and instead of bringing in some quality creativity we loaned in a couple of crap 'bargains' who contributed naff all. Reminded me of that time under WGS when we finished 8th and got to the cup final, then sold our best player and brought in Neil McCan't.

I think if anything annoyed me about our transfers it was Elia and Djuricic. We had a genuine chance of Champions League qualification in Koeman's first season and instead of bringing in some quality creativity we loaned in a couple of crap 'bargains' who contributed naff all. Reminded me of that time under WGS when we finished 8th and got to the cup final, then sold our best player and brought in Neil McCan't.

Yeah, why didn't we just go out and buy a Champions League level creative forward in January :lol:

Clubs just do that all the time.

Putting them into each of these categories....

Austin could go under bad, however he's not really been here long enough to be given that label yet. Clasie maybe unlucky to get into the "bad" category. Generally our best acquisitions are the ones around £10/12m which in this summers window is probably more like a £15/20m signing.

Good:

- LOVREN

- WANYAMA

- TADIC

- PELLE

- BERTRAND

- FORSTER

- LONG

- *ALDERWEIRELD*

- MANE

- VAN DIJK

Indifferent:

- *ELIA*

- *DJURICIC*

- GARDOS

- AUSTIN

- *STEKELENBURG*

- ROMEU

Bad:

- OSVALDO

- *TAIDER*

- JUANMI

- CEDRIC

- MARTINA

- CLASIE

- *CAULKER*

N/A:

- REDMOND

- HØJBJERG

- A.McCARTHY

- PIED

Yeah, why didn't we just go out and buy a Champions League level creative forward in January :lol:

There definitely isn't any middle ground between that and some bloke who wasn't wanted by a mid table Bundesliga side.

Garrett, how can you label Cédric, Martina and Clasie as failures and call that useless git Djuricic 'indifferent'. He contributed absolutely nothing except for a half-hearted penalty appeal against Liverpool when he had no confidence in himself to shoot.

Austin could go under bad, however he's not really been here long enough to be given that label yet. Clasie maybe unlucky to get into the "bad" category. Generally our best acquisitions are the ones around £10/12m which in this summers window is probably more like a £15/20m signing.

Good:

- LOVREN

- WANYAMA

- TADIC

- PELLE

- BERTRAND

- FORSTER

- LONG

- *ALDERWEIRELD*

- MANE

- VAN DIJK

Indifferent:

- *ELIA*

- *DJURICIC*

- GARDOS

- AUSTIN

- *STEKELENBURG*

- ROMEU

Bad:

- OSVALDO

- *TAIDER*

- JUANMI

- CEDRIC

- MARTINA

- CLASIE

- *CAULKER*

N/A:

- REDMOND

- HØJBJERG

- A.McCARTHY

- PIED

Very fair assesment and you are right to exclude the signings from this summer.

last 3 seasons we got it right 43% of the time. Not as brilliant in the transfer market as perhaps I might have thought

Will we get one though. And one who is not injured for the next month or so?

Stanciu.

I'm pretty confident he's going to sign in the next days, they might even leave him out of the team tonight against Man City.

----------------------------

On a side note, you have to laugh when statistically the best right back in the premier league last year that has just won the Euros is rated as 'bad'.

Top kek

Probably with a young striker they are the ones who cost the most

I dont think Saint Fred realises we have lost three goal keepers from last season STEK Gazza and Kelvin

Stek was always just cover for Frasers injury. We haven't "Lost" Gazza he will be back!

We seem happy to have a very good goalie and a not so good cover..who would be happy to sit on the bench if they were good? Therefore the McCarthy signing could be Frasers replacement in advance? It's not unfeasable and 4 million is quite an investment in a reserve...if we can get him to be number one it will allow us to sell Fraser for a significant sum in seasons to come.

Why would that not be 1) sensible - why wait for him to go and then scrabble for a first team keeper? 2) in line with current policy.

Cedric could arguably go in the indifferent pile - Saint Garrett was maybe a bit harsh there.

But the Cedric won the Euros so must be good arguement in nonsense.

Stephane Guivarc’h, Kleberson, Bernard Diomede and Simone Barone all have world cup winners medals.........

Good:

- LOVREN

- WANYAMA

- TADIC

- PELLE

- BERTRAND

- FORSTER

- LONG

- *ALDERWEIRELD*

- MANE

- VAN DIJK

Indifferent:

- *ELIA*

- *DJURICIC*

- GARDOS

- AUSTIN

- *STEKELENBURG*

- ROMEU

Bad:

- OSVALDO

- *TAIDER*

- JUANMI

- CEDRIC

- MARTINA

- CLASIE

- *CAULKER*

N/A:

- REDMOND

- HØJBJERG

- A.McCARTHY

- PIED

Largely agree, though I think I'd put Cedric in 'Indifferent' rather than bad. Also I'd probably be putting Romeu in 'good' considering the price we paid for him.

If Romeu was signed in advance(like Austin was to replace Pelle) as Wanyamas replacement ,the club have sorted a replacement to a known leaver as you suggest? If that's the case it does make me wonder about Forster and McCarthy?

Forster is a character unlike those you would associate with football. When he came back from injury, he said the only thing that would make him leave Southampton is not getting playing time. As far as I'm aware he is happy here and not angling for a move. Nice quiet guy with little thirst for fame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd disagree with quite a few.

Cedric is at least indifferent. May progress to good.

Martina has done a decent job. Indifferent.

Djuricic and Elia poor. Jury still out on Gardos - need to see more.

Clasie is at least indifferent. Physical stature limits him, but has shown good touches.

Romeu good and getting better.

Good:

- LOVREN

- WANYAMA

- TADIC

- PELLE

- BERTRAND

- FORSTER

- LONG

- *ALDERWEIRELD*

- MANE

- VAN DIJK

Indifferent:

- *ELIA*

- *DJURICIC*

- GARDOS

- AUSTIN

- *STEKELENBURG*

- ROMEU

Bad:

- OSVALDO

- *TAIDER*

- JUANMI

- CEDRIC

- MARTINA

- CLASIE

- *CAULKER*

N/A:

- REDMOND

- HØJBJERG

- A.McCARTHY

- PIED

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Forster is a character unlike those you would associate with football. When he came back from injury, he said the only thing that would make him leave Southampton is not getting playing time. As far as I'm aware he is happy here and not angling for a move. Nice quiet guy with little thirst for fame.

No doubt that is accurate..but then again why then did he leave Celtic? Why not stay there if that's his character? His position as first choice would never be under threat there and he would have champions league football.

I don't believe he will angle for a move but a bid for him is inevitable if he plays as he can and then it becomes all about money or Champions League etc...

Good:

- LOVREN

- WANYAMA

- TADIC

- PELLE

- BERTRAND

- FORSTER

- LONG

- *ALDERWEIRELD*

- MANE

- VAN DIJK

Indifferent:

- *ELIA*

- *DJURICIC*

- GARDOS

- AUSTIN

- *STEKELENBURG*

- ROMEU

Bad:

- OSVALDO

- *TAIDER*

- JUANMI

- CEDRIC

- MARTINA

- CLASIE

- *CAULKER*

N/A:

- REDMOND

- HØJBJERG

- A.McCARTHY

- PIED

As others have said, Cedric, Martina and Classie should at least be in the indifferent group. This would mean we have probably only made 4 'bad' signings in the past couple of seasons.

Stek was always just cover for Frasers injury. We haven't "Lost" Gazza he will be back!

We seem happy to have a very good goalie and a not so good cover..who would be happy to sit on the bench if they were good? Therefore the McCarthy signing could be Frasers replacement in advance? It's not unfeasable and 4 million is quite an investment in a reserve...if we can get him to be number one it will allow us to sell Fraser for a significant sum in seasons to come.

Why would that not be 1) sensible - why wait for him to go and then scrabble for a first team keeper? 2) in line with current policy.

He is correct though. Last season we paid the wages of and had the option to select (when fit/available) Forster, Stek, Kelvin and Gazza. Admittedly, we probably wouldn't have signed Stek had Frazer not had the long-term injury; but we did. Stek was returned after his loan; Kelvin retired; Gazza is on a season long loan (hence not available to us for this entire season); therefore, we have lost 3 'keepers and only brought the one (McCarthy) in as a back-up.

At the time we signed him McCarthy was Crystal Palace's 3rd/4th choice 'keeper. I seriously hope he is not intended to be Frazer's long term replacement. He really isn't that good. Had we signed Randolph from West Ham (as was rumoured before we signed McCarthy) then you may have had a point. Personally, I think we will be seriously screwed if Frazer picks up an injury this season.

There is no way that Mason is worth only 1 million less than Wanyama. If we were to pay 10 mil for him after only receiving 11m from them for Victor it would mean Spurs would have seriously shafted us this summer - again!

Hmm, I do not rate Cedric at all, personally think hes very very poor.

Martina did a job, but isn't very good. probably indifferent.

Clasie...meh, paid a decent amount of money for him when he's arguably not that much better than Harry Reed. Hasn't held down a place in the team,

Elia and Djuricic gave us a bit of attacking squad depth that we needed at the time, and as I went to Newcastle when Elia scored twice and gave me a great weekend, I quite liked him, quite liked his passion too.

There is no way that Mason is worth only 1 million less than Wanyama. If we were to pay 10 mil for him after only receiving 11m from them for Victor it would mean Spurs would have seriously shafted us this summer - again!

Agree. We know he was coming out of contract but in today's market, it was nothing.

One thing Spurs & Liverpool are very good at is getting top dollar for players they don't want.

No doubt that is accurate..but then again why then did he leave Celtic? Why not stay there if that's his character? His position as first choice would never be under threat there and he would have champions league football.

I don't believe he will angle for a move but a bid for him is inevitable if he plays as he can and then it becomes all about money or Champions League etc...

Who knows what his motivations were for moving. All I'm saying is what I know about him. I don't think he is unmotivated by money, just less so maybe. I'm sure he is ambitious and is perfectly aware that goalkeepers have a long shelf life in sporting terms. Plenty of time for him to get that big move without holding us to ransom.

Who knows what his motivations were for moving. All I'm saying is what I know about him. I don't think he is unmotivated by money, just less so maybe. I'm sure he is ambitious and is perfectly aware that goalkeepers have a long shelf life in sporting terms. Plenty of time for him to get that big move without holding us to ransom.

I never said he'd hold us to ransom I just said that the club may have purchased McCarthy as his replacement so in seasons to come when he goes it's not an issue.

We won't know for at least a year so it's a bit of a circular argument.

Back to the thread ...Mason? That's exactly what we need more midfielders who aren't better than what we already have!

But this is it; we didn't need a Champions League-level centre-forward; just someone who could cover for Pelle when he was bang out of form and undroppable because we had absolutely no-one else to take his place. The likes of Conor Wickham would have probably helped us to a few more points or at least kept us in the hunt when literally all we needed was some form of a target man who didn't miss sitter after sitter game after game looking more and more anxious and embarrassed because he couldn't be dropped and given a break.

At the end of January our record was 13-3-6 and we were third in the table. We then went on the following delightful little run throughout February where we only managed to score 1 goal in 5 matches (and against some very ordinary opponents too) which pretty much knifed our Champions League ambitions completely - all because we couldn't score (because - and yes, I was there for all of them), we utterly dominated the matches against Swansea, West Ham and West Brom in particular. Those matches amounted to arguably 8 points dropped and certainly at least 6.

1 Feb 15 Southampton 0 - 1 Swansea City

7 Feb 15 QP Rangers 0 - 1 Southampton

11 Feb 15 Southampton 0 - 0 West Ham Utd

22 Feb 15 Southampton 0 - 2 Liverpool

28 Feb 15 West Bromwich 1 - 0 Southampton

Even Elia wasn't a total disaster given his couple of goals against Newcastle. The problem was that we had no proper centre-forward to hold the ball up - so the likes of Elia were receiving the ball with their back to goal every single time they got it.

Again not on transfers I believe...think that was a long time ago. Can't remember though, haven't been following this thread too closely.

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?56199-Summer-Transfer-Targets-Thread&p=2376244#post2376244

And K Billy, who will be back soon. Just don't listen to Jack Schitt, especially if he urges you to put money on the next signing/transfer out.