Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Like the looks of Stanciu, Boufal is obviously an exciting talent and Zaza looks to be a decent level of striker!

Get the 3 in and we might be back in business

Stanciu looks the most likely (possibly last remaining) option as the attacking midfield player.

For the exciting strikers though the clips of Bruma and Gabbiadini would be ahead of Boufal and Zaza in my book, but can't see us shelling out for them. Probably end up with Haller at half the cost of any of these.

Who are these fabled replacements? Both are/were one offs imho so not easily replaceable like for like.

Agree

It makes me laugh the way people bang on about replacements . If there were replacements for Morgan, Vic & Mane wouldn't Liverpool , Man Utd & Spurs have signed them and saved a shed load of money?

Agree

It makes me laugh the way people bang on about replacements . If there were replacements for Morgan, Vic & Mane wouldn't Liverpool , Man Utd & Spurs have signed them and saved a shed load of money?

Well they didn't when we signed them for considerably less so your comment doesn't make any sense.

It would be nice to sign a couple of players who have proven Premier League quality.

Gambling on cheaper foreign imports with no PL experience, just because they may be value added in a couple of years time, is, in my opinion getting more risky. How about YaYa Toure on loan - sorts DM out, Berahino up front - definite improved options up front. Both would be exciting too :)

I know it won't happen, but I can dream...

I think WBA signing Everton's Galloway on loan is good for them, he looked mustard against us at home last season.

It is concerning how physically short our side has become this season. We'll be getting bullied in games constantly because we have no size or physical presence.

I hope whoever we get in hits the ground running though, we sure do need an on field boost. Beat Sunderland on Saturday and things will seem so much better.

Hopefully Puel will relent with the diamond obsession and get some wingers out wide , Austin and Long in the middle and get back to doing what we can do, crosses.

Tadic left, Redmond right, happy days. Charlie Austin needs to play in the middle with Long off of him, so both can be allowed to do what they do well. Austin is a very good striker - if we play him in the right place! How many chances to start has he has since he joined us? Played in his best position he would be like a new striker, we must give him a decent run in the side I believe. I was genuinely excited when we signed him, I still believe he can do it for us.

Really don't understand this obsession with "proven Premier League quality". Probably the only player we have signed in recent years who meets this categorisation is, as you say, Charlie Austin, who has hardly set the world alight for us.

Granted there have been a few players we have signed that had patchy PL records such as Bertrand, Long, Davis and Romeu and they've been good investments but then again there was Stephen Caulker.

Our best signings over recent years have been the likes of Mane, Tadic, Pelle, VVD, Wanyama, Foster, none of which had ever played a minute of Premier League football between them (Foster was at Newcastle but never made the first team) when we signed them.

Surely our history of successful signings would point us towards continuing our existing policy of targetting and signing very promising, technical, well-balanced players from other leagues who have all the attributes to succeed in the Premier League rather than pay way over the odds for those that have already had some success with another PL club when the evidence shows that there is no better chance of success.

Not really true if you ask me. There are more players in Holland atm who could be really good in the PL and who we could afford.

Pröpper for example would probably be the best option for us, even a better option as Ziyech for the diamond Puel wants to play in. Unless we switch back to 4-3-3 there really ain't no use in buying Ziyech.

And then there are quite a few other players who would be interesting and affordable for us.

I do agree on Haller tho, I don't see it either in him.

Sure, Davy Pröpper would be a great player for the Saints but do you really believe PSV would let him go for 9 million euro's like Transfermarkt estimates he's worth? I don't. Pröpper has more potential than Wijnaldum for example so I reckon the asking fee will be 20 million euro's at least. Though the Saints do have that kind of money, I can't see them actually paying it.

Digging through the Romanian news this morning and they all reckon we are buying Stanciu, their owner is even suggesting he might not play tonight.

Fee's being discussed around 10mil and Pep rates him as a player who would do well in the premier league.

http://www.ziare.com/steaua/stiri-steaua/concluzia-trasa-de-pep-guardiola-dupa-ce-l-a-vazut-jucand-pe-nicusor-stanciu-nu-mai-am-niciun-dubiu-1433688

I think sometimes the board is a little bit hamstrung by their reputation for identifying and signing talented but under developed players who we grow and then sell on for a whopping fee.

Every now and again a finished article would be nice.

100% This. I also think this to a certain extent it is the case with managerial appointments, they'd rather find a non "Prem" experienced, cheaper manager than plump for a big name like Pellegrini.

I am 100% behind Puel but still feel we have missed a trick this summer and at the moment the transfer dealings seem to be going the same way albeit we do have a week left so hopefully they have something up their sleeves

It isn't so easy to just find replacements for the likes of Mane and Wanyama; they are quality players which is why we sell them to the bigger teams. We can only hope the black box is still working to help bring in someone. There aren't many players like Wanyama about, nor Mane.

Stanciu is nearly done anyway, this one has confused me as i thought it was Bogdan Stancu, who we were previously linked with.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

100% This. I also think this to a certain extent it is the case with managerial appointments, they'd rather find a non "Prem" experienced, cheaper manager than plump for a big name like Pellegrini.

I am 100% behind Puel but still feel we have missed a trick this summer and at the moment the transfer dealings seem to be going the same way albeit we do have a week left so hopefully they have something up their sleeves

So what has been wrong with any of the last four managers.

So called proven PL managers usually have been sacked and the likes of Poch and Puel spend time developing players which for SFC is what is required

Yeah when people say a finished article....name names...because I've seen Everton and Palace plays £60m on players who are premier league experienced and I'm laughing my tits off at them.

PL experienced managers have normally been sacked by teams of the quality we are trying to be. Again..name names.

It isn't so easy to just find replacements for the likes of Mane and Wanyama; they are quality players which is why we sell them to the bigger teams. We can only hope the black box is still working to help bring in someone. There aren't many players like Wanyama about, nor Mane.

With all due respect, thats excuse-making.

Even on here, a lot of people having been saying they would be off this summer since last summer; we werent exactly caught on the hop, the black box has had 12 months.

Even on here, a lot of people having been saying they would be off this summer since last summer; we werent exactly caught on the hop, the black box has had 12 months.

With all due respect the black box identifies players. It does not create ones that do not exist. It does not generate infinite cash and it does not force players to sign for us.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It's not an excuse, it's the way it is. The top clubs only buy the ready made players. We do not have the power or financial clout to sign £30 million players. And in fairness, we have a good track record of signing players of quality in a lower price bracket. We just unfortunately sell them.

You do not see Stoke, west ham, palace etc developing players like we do, so we've done a good job in that respect.

It's not an excuse, it's the way it is. The top clubs only buy the ready made players. We do not have the power or financial clout to sign £30 million players. And in fairness, we have a good track record of signing players of quality in a lower price bracket. We just unfortunately sell them.

You do not see Stoke, west ham, palace etc developing players like we do, so we've done a good job in that respect.

How come palace just paid £30m for a player

Not say we should but to suggest we can't is wrong

Sooner rather than later, we are going to have to move on from the £8-12m bracket to the next one up

How come palace just paid £30m for a player

Not say we should but to suggest we can't is wrong

Sooner rather than later, we are going to have to move on from the £8-12m bracket to the next one up

Why do we need to buy £30m mercenary players when hardly any are worth it

It would take an exceptional player of that size to excel in the prem. Juanmi looked brilliant in a much better league than the Romanian league and struggled over here.

If we sign him obviously I hope he does sell but size won't help him.

I was watching the build up to the Sunderland v Boro game on Sunday and they were talking about Juninho and how good he was.

Jamie Redknapp reckoned today he'd destroy the league because he'd get way more protection than he got back then, the rules have changed. He's only 5 foot 6 and still did excellently in the premiership back when it was even more physical.

I'm not sure height is really an issue, especially in forward positions, I mean Aguero does alright and he's only 5' 8", I think it's more about attitude and build, I'd be more worried about a lanky thin 6 footer than a stocky little guy.

------------------------

Do feel though that we need another defensive mid with physical presence and there are guys out there, William Carvalho being an example, Danilo being another, as well as Gonalons. Think we've been linked with all 3 at times.

And as people have said we've known about Wanyama leaving for over a year, so plenty of time to find some players.

Edited by tajjuk

Why do we need to buy £30m mercenary players when hardly any are worth it

I agree. But sooner or later (probably sooner) we will break the £20m barrier

It is the quick direction of travel

When benteke is £32m

Johnny Evans is valued at £25m

That will have a knock on effect in many parts

I was watching the build up to the Sunderland v Boro game on Sunday and they were talking about Juninho and how good he was.

Jamie Redknapp reckoned today he'd destroy the league because he'd get way more protection than he got back then, the rules have changed. He's only 5 foot 6 and still did excellently in the premiership back when it was even more physical.

I'm not sure height is really an issue, especially in forward positions, I mean Aguero does alright and he's only 5' 8", I think it's more about attitude and build, I'd be more worried about a lanky thin 6 footer than a stocky little guy.

------------------------

Do feel though that we need another defensive mid with physical presence and there are guys out there, William Carvalho being an example, Danilo being another, as well as Gonalons. Think we've been linked with all 3 at times.

And as people have said we've known about Wanyama leaving for over a year, so plenty of time to find some players.

If Romeu was signed in advance(like Austin was to replace Pelle) as Wanyamas replacement ,the club have sorted a replacement to a known leaver as you suggest? If that's the case it does make me wonder about Forster and McCarthy?

In a way the fact we finished 6th allowed a sense of complacency to develop on the board.

If Romeu was signed in advance(like Austin was to replace Pelle) as Wanyamas replacement ,the club have sorted a replacement to a known leaver as you suggest? If that's the case it does make me wonder about Forster and McCarthy?

Always seen Romeu as more of a Cork replacement, not a Wanyama replacement. But even then we lack cover in that 'anchor man' role if you accept that Romeu is a good enough first choice (which personally I don't, but we'll see).

That's clearly not true.

To some extent it is, they very rarely buy youth and potential, Liverpool have done a bit in recent years, but take Nolito for example, Man City spending £14 million on a guy who is 30 in October.

Man Utd signing Imbra, Mikrahtin, Chelsea signing Kante.

Not a huge amount of under 21s are signed by the big clubs and if they are, they are often not near the first team. The only big club that seems to do it is Arsenal, but half the time they just waste time sitting on the bench or instantly go out on loan.

If the big clubs do sign a young player, it's usually one of the best in the land that already has a lot premiership or top flight experience, like Shaw for example.

I agree. But sooner or later (probably sooner) we will break the £20m barrier

It is the quick direction of travel

When benteke is £32m

Johnny Evans is valued at £25m

That will have a knock on effect in many parts

Probably with a young striker they are the ones who cost the most

I dont think Saint Fred realises we have lost three goal keepers from last season STEK Gazza and Kelvin

Sure, Davy Pröpper would be a great player for the Saints but do you really believe PSV would let him go for 9 million euro's like Transfermarkt estimates he's worth? I don't. Pröpper has more potential than Wijnaldum for example so I reckon the asking fee will be 20 million euro's at least. Though the Saints do have that kind of money, I can't see them actually paying it.

Where do I say you can pick up Pröpper for 9 million euro? He maybe, well probably, has more potential then Wijnaldum but Wijnaldum had a ****load more experience with 6? years at PSV and Feyenoord, a World Cup etc etc.

Pröpper only played one game for Holland so far and one season at PSV, all factors why Pröpper won't fetch as much as Wijnaldum did. And then he aint much more expensive as Ziyech and well within what we can afford.

If we did manage to get Stanciu and Boufal combined for less than a Benteke then our strategy remains the right one to follow.

Still hoping for a formation change. Tadic, Boufal and Stanciu would be a far more exciting 3, and means we'd be fine choosing from Long, Austin and Rodriguez up front. Redmond competition for all 3 forwards. Perfect.

But if we're playing 2 up front, then it's strikers we need. Not even competition, but an upgrade on Long, a proper goal threat. Going to be an interesting and probably frustrating week anyway. Was really hoping for the boost of an attacking signing before sunderland.

Agree. Stanciu AND Boufal would make sense in a "support 3". I can't see us signing both with the diamond formation. If we sticking with the diamond, I'm very curious to see what type of strike we are bringing in.

what is the percentage of our good buys to poor ones in the last 3 seasons? if you count the loans in I suspect it is slightly better than 60-40.

For that, my friend, we need a list. (Loans are marked *)

- LOVREN

- WANYAMA

- OSVALDO

- TADIC

- PELLE

- BERTRAND

- *TAIDER*

- FORSTER

- LONG

- GARDOS

- *ALDERWEIRELD*

- MANE

- *ELIA*

- *DJURICIC*

- JUANMI

- CEDRIC

- *STEKELENBURG*

- MARTINA

- CLASIE

- *CAULKER*

- ROMEU

- VAN DIJK

- AUSTIN

- REDMOND

- HØJBJERG

- A.McCARTHY

- PIED

what is the percentage of our good buys to poor ones in the last 3 seasons? if you count the loans in I suspect it is slightly better than 60-40.

YES 60/40 is about right.

Virgil van Dijk

Jordy Clasie

Juanmi

Oriol Romeu

Cédric Soares

Charlie Austin

Steven Caulker

Cuco Martina

Maarten Stekelenburg

Daniel Osvaldo

Sadio Mané

Shane Long

Dusan Tadic

Fraser Forster

Graziano Pellè

Florin Gardos

Eljero Elia

Saphir Taider

Ryan Bertrand

Filip Djuricic

Toby Alderweireld

Victor Wanyama

Dejan Lovren

YES 60/40 is about right.

Virgil van Dijk

Jordy Clasie

Juanmi

Oriol Romeu

Cédric Soares

Charlie Austin

Steven Caulker

Cuco Martina

Maarten Stekelenburg

Daniel Osvaldo

Sadio Mané

Shane Long

Dusan Tadic

Fraser Forster

Graziano Pellè

Florin Gardos

Eljero Elia

Saphir Taider

Ryan Bertrand

Filip Djuricic

Toby Alderweireld

Victor Wanyama

Dejan Lovren

Based on this list, if you ignore the loans it's significantly better than 60/40.

Where do I say you can pick up Pröpper for 9 million euro? He maybe, well probably, has more potential then Wijnaldum but Wijnaldum had a ****load more experience with 6? years at PSV and Feyenoord, a World Cup etc etc.

Pröpper only played one game for Holland so far and one season at PSV, all factors why Pröpper won't fetch as much as Wijnaldum did. And then he aint much more expensive as Ziyech and well within what we can afford.

I'm sure a lot of people on this board like Poppers.

How adaptable is he and where is the obligatory Youtube-fest please?

If we did manage to get Stanciu and Boufal combined for less than a Benteke then our strategy remains the right one to follow.

Still hoping for a formation change. Tadic, Boufal and Stanciu would be a far more exciting 3, and means we'd be fine choosing from Long, Austin and Rodriguez up front. Redmond competition for all 3 forwards. Perfect.

But if we're playing 2 up front, then it's strikers we need. Not even competition, but an upgrade on Long, a proper goal threat. Going to be an interesting and probably frustrating week anyway. Was really hoping for the boost of an attacking signing before sunderland.

IF we are signing Bouffal then I think he's being brought to play up front as an alternative to Redmond. Stanciu would be the No.10, reading how the diamond is supposed to work, the forwards need to be very fluid and able to provide the width when needed -

Therefore, it encourages quicker, niftier attackers. Juve have used Carlos Tevez and Alvaro Morata (one drops in to collect passes; one uses immense movement to hit the channels and stretch the opposition), while Liverpool's Daniel Sturridge-Luis Suarez combination was fearsome to say the least.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2432605-breaking-down-footballs-in-vogue-formation-the-midfield-diamond

That would explain why Redmond is there and why Bouffal would also fit that system, rather than more traditional strikers.

Tadic will play on the left of the diamond and interchange with the no 10 during the game. I believe we will see an attacking 4-3-3 formation and slip back into the diamond to keep possession. This is what Puel wants but an intelligent and direct no 10 is crucial for it to work.

Will we get one though. And one who is not injured for the next month or so?

OK, I'll bite, explain how you come to this conclusion (short of it being pure conjecture)?

Are we not allowed to do conjecture ? This is a discussion board where people are surely encouraged to air there views as long as they are not offensive, aggressive, personal etc.

So what has been wrong with any of the last four managers.

So called proven PL managers usually have been sacked and the likes of Poch and Puel spend time developing players which for SFC is what is required

Moneybags Ron, Poch and Pardew - who else has three of their recent former managers working in the Prem? Suggests our recruitment has been outstanding imo

For that, my friend, we need a list. (Loans are marked *)

- LOVREN

- WANYAMA

- OSVALDO

- TADIC

- PELLE

- BERTRAND

- *TAIDER*

- FORSTER

- LONG

- GARDOS

- *ALDERWEIRELD*

- MANE

- *ELIA*

- *DJURICIC*

- JUANMI

- CEDRIC

- *STEKELENBURG*

- MARTINA

- CLASIE

- *CAULKER*

- ROMEU

- VAN DIJK

- AUSTIN

- REDMOND

- HØJBJERG

- A.McCARTHY

- PIED

Thank-you for taking the trouble to do that. It is very interesting. As posted our loans not as good as our signings. To be fair our signings have been consistantly decent

Sun link today says Puel in for his previous forward at Lyon, Ghezzal...also suggests he has bid for Bouffal finally. Offer declined but at least we are on the board.

Our transfer policy seems to be a bit akin to our Olympic cyclists, the ones that play cat and mouse for two laps only to suddenly go like buggery in the final knockings.