Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

I hope we sign Bergendal Sidikalang coffee . Really strong in defence . Jave would be good s well a very robusta coffee . I'm not sure arabica will be a good signing . Might find the winter months off putting . kapeng breakup my be a good outside bet tho .If we are desperate we can go down to the pound shop for a cheap latte

As a status update: Latest ITK report has us being in for 2 players.

The names in the media suggest the following...

2x No.10's:

- Sofiane Boufal

- Nicolae Stanciu

1x Winger:

- Rachid Ghezzal

2x Strikers:

- Simone Zaza

- Sebastien Haller

Would take Zaza and Stanciu.

Not sure on Haller to be honest, or Ghezzal for that matter. Wouldn't say no to Boufal, but the fact he's currently injured and going to be away at AFCON makes me lean towards Stanciu.

Obviously I'm an expert on all of them, despite never having heard of the majority until being linked...

2x No.10's:

- Sofiane Boufal

- Nicolae Stanciu

1x Winger:

- Rachid Ghezzal

2x Strikers:

- Simone Zaza

- Sebastien Haller

The fact that their names are in the media would suggest is not them with Southampton, surely.

Strangely, no. I had my meltdown three years ago. Wasn't bothered last summer about the ones that left, not bothered this year either. Club has earned my trust for now.

There is a lot of people asking where the money has gone, but its blatantly obvious. Its kinda ironic, really, that the club signs a load of 1st team players on increased wages to the club, then fans moan that we can't keep any players. Its arguable, that without the sales, we couldn't have made the offers - not just financially, but actually within FFP. Its worth reading Redslo's blogs on FFP and the only ways you can increase the wage ceiling. It may open a few eyes.

The club are doing the right thing in my mind. I actually don't expect anybody else in and I'd still be ok with that. We're not like other clubs, we're trying to be different, we've been pretty successful at it. It may not be as good this year as previous, but you know what, we're in Europe, we're no where near as bad as what's been written, we look half decent and we'll get better. We actually have players that seem to want to be here (excepting Fonte) and I wouldn't want to spunk £20mil on Ayew, £28mil on Bolasie, or £32mil on Benteke, (although I do think the latter is a good player for Palace).

I've enjoyed the ride back up. The only thing that really worries me is the formation, but Puel deserves respect and time. Be interesting to see if he goes to Utd with the same formation or changes it. There seems to be a core of Saints fans not excited by Puel - and that's fine, opinions are opinions. But the guy is yet to lose a game (god knows the meltdown when he does) and its was only a few months ago we were all jumping up and down at the Austin signing.

I'm quite excited to be honest. But I may also be deluded.

Its a lot worse than people think. And its absolutely no fault of the board. The rules are basically designed to help the top clubs and those who previously overspent. It basically screwed those like us (and Swansea) who had actually run a tight ship and is the main reason why West Ham can pay more wages than us for the same players. There is a reason we voted against it as we could see where it would lead - exactly where it has and those wondering why we can't pay players £100k a week would be wise to read up on it. Its not a question of whether we can afford it. Its the knock on effect, which we are seeing right now with Fonte. Increase everybody's wages, those already under contract will want/deserve a rise. if we increased to the crazy places of £100K a week, then did that for two or three others, we go over FFP and are open to points deductions, fines, all the other stuff. And seeing as we're not a Utd, the FA would probably do it as well. The TV revenue doesn't help massively with this, despite people thinking it does as that's already included in the year on year increase I believe. So yes, we have money to buy players. Yes we can actually pay them. The problem is, we're not allowed to.

The rule is a joke and I am totally with the club in how they are trying to combat it. Its behind the focus on the commercial revenue. The only strange thing is, if they just came out and just said it, or leaked it, I think most people would understand. Its not as if the players and the other clubs don't know.

And before people start claiming other clubs like Stoke, Palace, Hammers etc, etc pay more than us -

1. Hammers are on another world with regards to wage bill, look at where their wage bill was set when we came up together...the £52mil (now £60mil) per season does not apply to those that were already above it.

2. Ditto for Stoke

3. Palace aren't in Europe and just got new owners who injected equity...

2x No.10's:

- Sofiane Boufal

- Nicolae Stanciu

1x Winger:

- Rachid Ghezzal

2x Strikers:

- Simone Zaza

- Sebastien Haller

Stanciu looks about as suitable for the premier league as Juanmi did.

2x No.10's:

- Sofiane Boufal

- Nicolae Stanciu

1x Winger:

- Rachid Ghezzal

2x Strikers:

- Simone Zaza

- Sebastien Haller

Out of that lot, I hope we get Sébastien Haller.

Would still like us to go for Lorenzo insigne. Seems the type of pacy striker that would be perfect for our system whilst being a much stronger finisher then Redmond and long. Good statement of intent to ease the fan pressure too

Insigne is 5ft4. Would that work in PL? And we do seem a little short up front with Long and Redmond both under 6ft.

Is no one good 5'7 anymore then?

It would take an exceptional player of that size to excel in the prem. Juanmi looked brilliant in a much better league than the Romanian league and struggled over here.

If we sign him obviously I hope he does sell but size won't help him.

It would take an exceptional player of that size to excel in the prem. Juanmi looked brilliant in a much better league than the Romanian league and struggled over here.

What does this even mean? :lol:

smaller players have smashed this league before.

I think you'll find Juanmi's problems were more off the the pitch issues ie. he was homesick and never really settled in England

It would be nice to sign a couple of players who have proven Premier League quality.

Gambling on cheaper foreign imports with no PL experience, just because they may be value added in a couple of years time, is, in my opinion getting more risky. How about YaYa Toure on loan - sorts DM out, Berahino up front - definite improved options up front. Both would be exciting too :)

I know it won't happen, but I can dream...

I think WBA signing Everton's Galloway on loan is good for them, he looked mustard against us at home last season.

It is concerning how physically short our side has become this season. We'll be getting bullied in games constantly because we have no size or physical presence.

I hope whoever we get in hits the ground running though, we sure do need an on field boost. Beat Sunderland on Saturday and things will seem so much better.

Hopefully Puel will relent with the diamond obsession and get some wingers out wide , Austin and Long in the middle and get back to doing what we can do, crosses.

Tadic left, Redmond right, happy days. Charlie Austin needs to play in the middle with Long off of him, so both can be allowed to do what they do well. Austin is a very good striker - if we play him in the right place! How many chances to start has he has since he joined us? Played in his best position he would be like a new striker, we must give him a decent run in the side I believe. I was genuinely excited when we signed him, I still believe he can do it for us.

What does this even mean? :lol:

smaller players have smashed this league before.

Premiership teams can carry one or two short and weak physical players, be we have loads. The premiership is one of the most physical and if you watched us against United you saw us being bullied and beaten to nearly every header.

Every punt up pitch from Forster came right back like a yoyo.

Soares, JWP, Davis, Pied, Tadic, Romeu, Clasie, Bertrand, Redmond and Long all under 6 foot. We need physical presence and strength not more lightweight pushovers

We need physical presence and strength not more lightweight pushovers

I'd agree with that. The side lacks physicality and height.

It's worth noting that Morgan and Wanyama used to win pretty much every single header in midfield. That sort of thing goes unnoticed a lot of the time, but its still an important part of the game no mater how much things have changed. Without them we don't win ball, don't have as much ball and in the end that effects the number of chances, control of the game and the result.

If taking pillows and mattresses on away trips can make a difference, then extra height at corners has to come into play somewhere...

Losing Pelle could also have an effect on us defensively from set pieces. He used to win a lot of headers in our own box, as did Ricky before him. We have hardly conceded in that area for years. Watch goals against (from set plays) creep in this season...

Being greedy .....can we have the following please.

Boufal.

Stanciu.

And finally if it's a toss up between Haller and Zaza......

I'll take the latter.

Thanks in advance.

Jay to West Brom.

Fonté stays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No way we're getting a net income of 3 attackers. We might get 2 in if J Rod leaves.

Who are these fabled replacements? Both are/were one offs imho so not easily replaceable like for like.

A presence in holding midfield and an attacking player with flair and pace. It might mean the board putting their hands in their pockets but there are players out there.

Last year Romeu was at Wanyama levels. He was also highly regarded by his teammates, many of them said he was even stronger and Vic and a better tackler. He has started slowly this year but he is a great player. I would wait and see. It's much more pressing to add depth up front.

Last year Romeu was at Wanyama levels. He was also highly regarded by his teammates, many of them said he was even stronger and Vic and a better tackler. He has started slowly this year but he is a great player. I would wait and see. It's much more pressing to add depth up front.

Stop being a tight git Les.