Ron Koeman

Saint Fan CaM

Can't begrudge a guy moving on to triple his salary - regardless of what he said in the past. Things change.

Look forward to SFC moving forward - we need a manager who will inspire the existing players and attract new ones. Don't think Eddie Howe is that guy.

Well this thread has kept me entertained for the last couple of days, loving the meltdown by some.

Can I be the first to say "Thanks very much Ron and good luck in your new job". At the end of the day, the guy came to us and did a bloody great job. Remember the 'Ready for training' tweet, no players it would appear - but he sorted it, and then went on to give us probably the two best seasons we've had in many years.

He has no affinity to SFC (nor should he) he is a professional football manager, it's merely a job to him. Absolutely nothing wrong in listening to other job offers, and if one comes up that is too good to turn down - then do what everybody else would do - take it.

It's just another chapter in supporting SFC, people come, people go - we go on. Why all the vitriol is beyond me, while he was here, he worked hard and took us to that next level - we should be thanking him. Everton are a decent club, new owner who appears to want to throw some money into it, personally I say good luck to both Ron and Everton.

All of that said, come the end of next season, I naturally hope that we sit above them in the table as we have done this year. No point looking back now - look to the future, a new manager and new challenges.

Hear hear!

Can't begrudge a guy moving on to triple his salary - regardless of what he said in the past. Things change.

Look forward to SFC moving forward - we need a manager who will inspire the existing players and attract new ones. Don't think Eddie Howe is that guy.

I say this all the time it's not people leaving my club I'm bothered about it happens all the time in football...what I do expect is people to do it right and be honest and up front. Quite a lot of these players and managers moving on to better things have got there because Southampton football club gave them a chance to showcase their talents so show my club a bit of respect when you go. If you can't don't expect me to show any respect in return...simple as.

I say this all the time it's not people leaving my club I'm bothered about it happens all the time in football...what I do expect is people to do it right and be honest and up front. Quite a lot of these players and managers moving on to better things have got there because Southampton football club gave them a chance to showcase their talents so show my club a bit of respect when you go. If you can't don't expect me to show any respect in return...simple as.

Amen, moosh..

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Sam Wallace - chief football writer for the Telegraph - with an update: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/06/04/ronald-koeman-agrees-to-become-everton-manager-as-southampton-tu/

- Koeman has agreed to go to Everton

- Saints weren't prepare to get into a bidding war after hearing what Koeman was offered

- Saints deny that Les Reed and Ronald Koeman had a rocky relationship

- The club are now looking at Unai Emery and Eddie Howe as two leading candidates, among others

Can imagine Sibley making Les a builders tea while dictating that story down the phone to the DT.

Me too. Is is just a coincidence that he and Koeman shared the same agent until very recently and that FdB has only just become available from Ajax? Perhaps he could bring his brother here too, like Koeman did.

Agent and Everton also have to be careful they don't get accused of tapping up and having agreed a deal in advance of the Clubs (even though they clearly have).

I'm always intrigued by the mechanics of these deals. Unfortunately, we will never know the truth. Even if somebody produces an autobiography in the future, the chances are the truth will be embroidered.

So who, how and why was the first contact made?

Having sacked Martinez, Everton needed a new manager and we are told the owner liked the job Koeman had done with us and identified him.

Bear in mind that clubs use agents (sorry, but they do) as well as players and managers, did Everton use an agent to approach Koeman's representative to sound him out?

Or did Koeman's agent - knowing that Everton were looking for a manager - approach the club and suggest he might be interested if the circumstances were right?

How did Everton know Koeman might be interested in managing them?

How did Koeman know they were interested in him? I can't imagine that Koeman's agent stuck his pin in a map and landed on Goodison Park?

At some point, somebody somewhere, approached the other party with the suggestion, and it would be interesting to know who.

Of course, what this does show is that 'asking for permission to speak to him' is just a formality after all the negotiations between the two parties have been completed.

It shows that the protocols around clubs approaching players/managers are a complete and utter sham, But they have been for years.

Whenever the phrase; "Seeking permission to talk to...." is uttered, you know the deal has been done.

I fully expect that Saints are already doing the same. That they have used their agents to approach the representatives of their target and for the pourparlers to have already taken place.

For all the fact that the line fed to the public that this has happened in the space of 48 hours or since Koeman came back form holiday, Saints would have had an idea for some time that he would not be signing and their agent would have started to put feelers out, of the sort; "In the event that Koeman does not sign, would your client be interested in managing Southampton, if so, what would he be looking for?"

Despite what the bed-wetters and doom merchants on here might think, Saints search for a manager will not be starting from scratch at the moment Koeman is paraded on the Goodison pitch with a blue-and-white scarf above his head and shaking hands with an emotional, tearful and gushing luvvie Kenwright.

I could be wrong, but I would think Saints will move quickly on this and appoint a replacement swiftly.

I'm not too bothered he's going and that's the truth but losing anyone to Everton or the like does bother me .Thought we'd moved in from that.

Please no Moyes, Howes etc if that's who we're looking at might as well bring back Adkins.I wet someone who's going to inspire like Koeman did when he signed

Eddie howe can **** right off. Adkins did better than him. If that is the calibre we are after we are screwed.

That is nonsense,I thought Bournemouth won the championship, something Adkins never did with bigger resources. Howe is a great manager, and odes have great loyalty. I doubt he would come to us anyway,

I want Emery or FdB.

I personally wouldn't want Howe - although I think he is a great young manager - as I feel that we need a manager who has experience of European football. I think there a number of reasons that Howe wouldn't come to Saints at the moment:

1. He would destroy his legacy at Bournemouth by ditching them for a local "rival" (an ironic thing to say given that RK as clearly just destroyed any legacy he had with Saints!).

2. He is a young manager with a long career ahead of him - his time will come for a bigger job.

3. He left Bournemouth before to go to Burnley which didn't work out well for him.

An interesting few months ahead..

I think one could say Bournemouth spent a lot more than us.
That I'm not sure of, but Howe took them from the bottom of league 2 and win the championship befor guiding them to PL safety. A far better manager than Adkins,and his time after us has proven it

I agree no tah to Howe, if and big if we want to progress on this 5yr plan i believe we need a manager who is respected through europe enabling us a better chance of quality player, ie better chance of krychowiac with Emery than Howe

I want Emery or FdB.

I personally wouldn't want Howe - although I think he is a great young manager - as I feel that we need a manager who has experience of European football. I think there a number of reasons that Howe wouldn't come to Saints at the moment:

1. He would destroy his legacy at Bournemouth by ditching them for a local "rival" (an ironic thing to say given that RK as clearly just destroyed any legacy he had with Saints!).

2. He is a young manager with a long career ahead of him - his time will come for a bigger job.

3. He left Bournemouth before to go to Burnley which didn't work out well for him.

An interesting few months ahead..

you can argue that Emery has done wonders in European competition, but am I correct in saying his team were the only one in Europe not to win an away game last season? I'm sure that was said

If that's the case, the only shame and annoyance is that any feelings I had that there might be at least a tiny bit of honour and loyalty left in football has evaporated. F**k them all quite honestly. I would like the guy to stay, purely because he seemed like a good guy, has done a good job and it would be nice to have some continuity and longevity.

PB, I totally agree. Maybe you are the same as me and are desperately trying to find someone / something good in football although we all know what is what and that money has corrupted all.

who will we want to win when Everton play Liverpool and Spurs?

Now that Brenda's gone I'm not bothered about Liverpool. But for Spurs v. Everton the proverbial mass brawl, 7 yellows and 4 red cards per team, match abandoned, and 3 points deducted for both clubs.

Basically Spurs v. Chelsea on steroids.

So in summary: Koeman and agent 1 happy to talk at end of season about extending contract. Meanwhile agent 2 gets tip Everton want Koeman and starts early discussion telling Everton he can get him for right price. Agent 1 still working with Koeman and Saints on extension - which Ron happy with. Agent 2 then makes contact with Koeman and says 'I know you're happy at Saints but I have £7m on the table for you, you just have to bin agent 1 and come with me'. The rest just unfolds as it has.

Cockroaches, the lot of them

So in summary: Koeman and agent 1 happy to talk at end of season about extending contract. Meanwhile agent 2 gets tip Everton want Koeman and starts early discussion telling Everton he can get him for right price. Agent 1 still working with Koeman and Saints on extension - which Ron happy with. Agent 2 then makes contact with Koeman and says 'I know you're happy at Saints but I have £7m on the table for you, you just have to bin agent 1 and come with me'. The rest just unfolds as it has.

That does seem pretty plausible...

Pretty impressive work from the 2nd agent if that's a true turn of events.

Does anyone know what bearing this would have on Wanyama, Pelle, tadic and Mane wanting to leave? Can't see it changing Wanyama but mane and tadic both fell out with him - so maybe they would be more keen to stay now.

AVB for me everyday of the week - he's only 38 ffs, and would probably do a 4-5 year stint.

To be honest, I was far more upset when Poch left, because deep down I think it was clear that he was a pretty special manager. By contrast I've always been a bit meh about Koeman - he did a decent job for sure, 7th followed by 6th was amazing, but I've never been particularly inspired. Onwards and upwards.

To be honest, I was far more upset when Poch left, because deep down I think it was clear that he was a pretty special manager. By contrast I've always been a bit meh about Koeman - he did a decent job for sure, 7th followed by 6th was amazing, but I've never been particularly inspired. Onwards and upwards.

I agree with you. Poch bought in more plyers from academy than Koeman...not to mention some of the choice of tactics and signings. Look at Poch and the young team he has worked along side. I want a manager with the ability to bring in our academy players and buy sensibly...building on what we have achieved so far.

Yep.

Hello lads, Everton fan and FFP expert here in peace.

So it looks like this is a goer then? What are your honest thoughts? Thought he did a good job and I like Saints.

What are your thoughts also on the Mersey Billionaires and our new finances pushing FFP to the limit.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Bizzaro.

Yep.

Seeing some speculation on here about who Koeman will take with him... The players who liked him signed contracts tying them down, and thus would cost a large portion of Everton's new found wealth, or had beef with him (Tadic, Mane). Wanyama and Mane are still definitely off though, if they can find anyone who thinks they are worth as much as they have convinced themselves they are :lol:

Need to tie down Bertrand and Shane long though. Both clubs on Merseyside have problems at left back. :rolleyes:

So it looks like this is a goer then? What are your honest thoughts? Thought he did a good job and I like Saints.

What are your thoughts also on the Mersey Billionaires and our new finances pushing FFP to the limit.

Bizzaro.

Hey Bizzaro, I think its good. Best Wishes.

Bizzaro.

Your guy will run out of money and interest quicker than Randy Lerner.

If Koeman is taking a step up and Everton are aiming higher than we are, that's top 4 then.

You won't do it. At best Top six a couple of times then your sugar daddy realises he's having to pump in £100m every frigging year and the fanbase start grizzling when you don't and then it all goes to sh it.

Hopefully you will concentrate on getting the stadium built because your current toilet needs some work and that's what will really set you up, not ludicrously overpaying for a manager who is perfectly fine but not worth nigh-on Mourinho money.

Good luck.

Bizzaro.

We'll enjoy the compensation, sign the manager you should have and move on.

To our European campaign.

With a great new manager.

And finish above you in the league, despite spending far less.

HTH

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk