Ron Koeman

Saint Fan CaM

Might have been said already but if we are mad, imagine how Leicester fans are feeling. Win the league and still lose their best players. Just shows that all this talk about a clubs ambition is rubbish and it all boils down to money

Thats why the UK Government and EU are allowing them taxpayers money to try to mug the cruise business off us, right ?

They need taxpayers money to subsidise their cruise terminal because no self-respecting cruise company would want to sail out of there.

They boast about the Cunard Building forming the hub of their new cruise terminal, but Cunard pulled out of the city years ago.

A lot of Liverpool's port is moribund whereas Southampton is looking to expand into West Bay.

Those plans were thwarted by a Government inquiry but we know that Liverpool moans and bleats that life isn't fair in a similar fashion to a navy port not a million miles away, and ends up getting a healthy suck on the government teat.

I agree largely with what Highfield Saints says. I'm not happy with the way successive governments (mainly Conservative, but Labour have played a part) have dismantled our manufacturing industry and devastated large parts of the north.

But people shouldn't be fooled into thinking we have it soft in the south and are immune to the loss in manufacturing industries.

Look at the jobs lost in Southampton down the years - Harland and Wolff, Vospers, Fords, AC Delco have all closed with the loss of thousands of jobs, but at no time have we revelled in self-pity and bleated for government hand-outs.

Anyway, to get back to the thread.

Koeman has disappointed a lot of people who thought he was a little different.

When push came to shove, he went for the money. Nothing inherently wrong in that and I would defy anybody to say they would remain loyal if somebody offered to double their wages.

He proved to be no different to any other professional, although to paraphrase Le Tissier when he was spurning overtures from Chelsea and Spurs, what more can £6m a year buy him that £2.5m a year could?

Only time will tell if he has made the right decision. My gut feeling is that he won't be at Everton any longer than he was with us, either by being sacked for not living up to the expectations of a club run by a flaky Iranian and a jobbing Coronation St actor, or because he has done such a bang-up job that Barca come a-calling. I know which one I thin it will be, and could well involve a luvvie sobbing into his hankie.

They need taxpayers money to subsidise their cruise terminal because no self-respecting cruise company would want to sail out of there.

They boast about the Cunard Building forming the hub of their new cruise terminal, but Cunard pulled out of the city years ago.

A lot of Liverpool's port is moribund whereas Southampton is looking to expand into West Bay.

Those plans were thwarted by a Government inquiry but we know that Liverpool moans and bleats that life isn't fair in a similar fashion to a navy port not a million miles away, and ends up getting a healthy suck on the government teat.

I agree largely with what Highfield Saints says. I'm not happy with the way successive governments (mainly Conservative, but Labour have played a part) have dismantled our manufacturing industry and devastated large parts of the north.

But people shouldn't be fooled into thinking we have it soft in the south and are immune to the loss in manufacturing industries.

Look at the jobs lost in Southampton down the years - Harland and Wolff, Vospers, Fords, AC Delco have all closed with the loss of thousands of jobs, but at no time have we revelled in self-pity and bleated for government hand-outs.

Anyway, to get back to the thread.

Koeman has disappointed a lot of people who thought he was a little different.

When push came to shove, he went for the money. Nothing inherently wrong in that and I would defy anybody to say they would remain loyal if somebody offered to double their wages.

He proved to be no different to any other professional, although to paraphrase Le Tissier when he was spurning overtures from Chelsea and Spurs, what more can £6m a year buy him that £2.5m a year could?

Only time will tell if he has made the right decision. My gut feeling is that he won't be at Everton any longer than he was with us, either by being sacked for not living up to the expectations of a club run by a flaky Iranian and a jobbing Coronation St actor, or because he has done such a bang-up job that Barca come a-calling. I know which one I thin it will be, and could well involve a luvvie sobbing into his hankie.

I think they had to pay back the money for the cruise terminal after ABP kicked up a fuss. As you say, back to the thread...

Has he signed yet?

What I do struggle to understand is how it's being seen as a step down for Koeman. CLEARLY he (like Pochettino before him) is of the opinion that he has a better chance of moving onto the next level in terms of success with the financial backing he'll receive at Everton - something the Saints board don't have a recent history of providing.

The one way you can term it a step down is by looking just solely at the last two seasons of league positions. I would wager that most unbiased observers (fans of other clubs etc) would say that most if not all of that disparity is down to the absolutely WOEFUL way we've been mismanaged by Roberto Martinez over the last two years (the more we became "his side", the worse we became) rather than any huge difference in the quality of the two squads. You've got some excellent players (big fan of Tadic, van Dijk, Forster and Wanyama) but we have just as many (Coleman, Stones, Barkley, Deulofeu and Lukaku (albeit he's likely to be on his way this summer)) - unfortunately for us while Koeman had your players performing to their ability, Martinez had ours performing WAY below.

Not so much step down as sideways step.

Facts are;

We were 3pts off Champs League

We're in Europa League

Asked Saints to act on ambitions (hence 5 yr contracts for VvD, Fraser and JWP)

We're pretty much established as a top 8 side.

Said countless times he would see out his contract.

Allegedly was happy with the new contract and ambition shown.

Personally, it's nothing against Everton. Would be the same if he left for anybody apart from a mega club. Talk of history is pretty pointless - it's about the here and now and creating our own history. Talk of billionaire owners is pointless as well...every club in the Prem has them, including ourselves. The fact you may spend £100mil means nothing. Newcastle did near that last season. Look across Stanley Park to see how far your neighbours have progressed in the last few years spending silly money.

There's the top 4/5 perhaps 6 at a push big clubs in this country...and then there is everyone else. Whether Everton want to believe it or not, at this point of time, your the same level as us. You're trying to push on and so are we, so are West Ham, so are Stoke. That's why we (well, me at least) think it's a sideways move. It's why most pundits thought the same initially.

To take Everton further than Saints he has to get Champs League. No ifs, no buts...that's a fact. For the money you have spent on him, personally think there was better available. Hand on heart, do you think he will do that in 2 years?

Nothing against the club, just disappointed in they way he has acted and if you think he has left for any other reason than money, bare this in mind...he had already agreed a £2.3mil per year contract at Southampton. You've had to pay nearly 3x that to even get him to talk to you. Plus another £3mil to us in compensation.

Everton fan here - I don't want Koeman can't you sort it out ffs?

From what I can see he seems as uninspiring as that tit Moyes the only thing that seems to make him a fit at goodison is his ability to bend over for Liverpol in the qtr finals at home. Like yourselves we've been fodder for the monied quim during the Prem era but for the life of me I can't see what he's done before or after joining you to be mentioned for the Arsenal job or the supposed charge into the brave new world of buying trophies at our place.

I didn't take much notice of him because like us you do **** all but the odd snippets I remember he seemed non plussed by an interviewer asking " how come you jeep getting reamed?"

This business about a rescue after Poch seems overplayed as well how established clubs get drawn into relegation fights is beyond me the market is full of journeymen who will do an "existance" job in the prem - what am I missing?

This business about a rescue after Poch seems overplayed as well how established clubs get drawn into relegation fights is beyond me the market is full of journeymen who will do an "existance" job in the prem - what am I missing?

Depending on the length of contract, about £21-£33mil at a guess.

as said to another Everton fan here. Top 6 has to be the absolute minimum next season for you. bearing in mind, he is leaving a far 'smaller' and 'less ambitious' side than you that finished 3 points from champions league places

that has to be the bare minimum given how much bigger, better and 'special' you lot now are

Good luck. going to be an interesting season

Top 6 was the bare minimum this season. In fact top 4 or a good crack at it was the expectation. That's why Martinez was hounded out!

As no doubt you will find yourselves. Making that leap from top 6 side to consistent top 4 side is ridiculously hard. Near impossible unless you put in some major investment. Without it, A couple of bad transfers, the wrong managerial appoint and you can slide down quicker than a hooker after a £50 note!

Again, I'm sure you know very little about Everton as a club (why should you) but we have gone with what we've got for a decade. Been very careful with money. Ran the club properly, as yourselves invested in youth. But our best players and manager would still have left for a club offering the money to compete.

Anyways, good luck to you too. I hope you carrying on doing well. There's a good few names out there who I have no doubt will do the same job for you keoman has.

Everton fan here - I don't want Koeman can't you sort it out ffs?

From what I can see he seems as uninspiring as that tit Moyes the only thing that seems to make him a fit at goodison is his ability to bend over for Liverpol in the qtr finals at home. Like yourselves we've been fodder for the monied quim during the Prem era but for the life of me I can't see what he's done before or after joining you to be mentioned for the Arsenal job or the supposed charge into the brave new world of buying trophies at our place.

I didn't take much notice of him because like us you do **** all but the odd snippets I remember he seemed non plussed by an interviewer asking " how come you jeep getting reamed?"

It's all a cunning plan by Uncle Les.

We may just be dodging a bullet. We have had two good seasons out of Koeman, whose to say next season won't be the one that hits lots of managers too long in the job. If we are wise we can bring new impetus with a new manager and a recruitment of more players to suit added to an already decent team. Only Wanyama and Pelle look to be on the way out, whilst any body else leaving will be horrendously expensive. Liverpool paid over the odds only to finish eighth last year.

Spending lots of money helps but is no magic formula unless it is the right players for the team. Everton now are going to find they are going to be paying £25m for £10m players added to a team that needed rebuilding, good luck with that. There is no guarantee either that Koeman can spend a lot of money in inflated fees and end up with a top team. He is a decent manager but the jury is still out.

If he wants to go, fine, we will just move on and get on with having another decent season

Top 6 was the bare minimum this season. In fact top 4 or a good crack at it was the expectation. That's why Martinez was hounded out!

As no doubt you will find yourselves. Making that leap from top 6 side to consistent top 4 side is ridiculously hard. Near impossible unless you put in some major investment. Without it, A couple of bad transfers, the wrong managerial appoint and you can slide down quicker than a hooker after a £50 note!

Again, I'm sure you know very little about Everton as a club (why should you) but we have gone with what we've got for a decade. Been very careful with money. Ran the club properly, as yourselves invested in youth. But our best players and manager would still have left for a club offering the money to compete.

Anyways, good luck to you too. I hope you carrying on doing well. There's a good few names out there who I have no doubt will do the same job for you keoman has.

Top 6 when you didn't have a side to make even top half? You have some excellent players and some pretty poor ones. A team in never better than it's weakest element.

This year Mourinho and Chelsea imploded, Manchester Utd were under performing as were City and Arsenal while Leicester caught them cold. Add Tottenham a very good side and sixth looks decent. Next year I expect the top five to be very competitive, I haven't a clue about Leicester. Everton can spend the earth but I'd be surprised if they finished better than sixth. Us, who knows.

This year Mourinho and Chelsea imploded, Manchester Utd were under performing as were City and Arsenal while Leicester caught them cold. Add Tottenham a very good side and sixth looks decent. Next year I expect the top five to be very competitive, I haven't a clue about Leicester. Everton can spend the earth but I'd be surprised if they finished better than sixth. Us, who knows.

but they are on to 'special things'

they are surely not bring Koeman in as one of the worlds highest paid managers to fight it out with Saints, West ham and Stoke for 8th place?

Is this saying Koeman(or his representatives) and Everton haven't spoken or that a deal hasn't been agreed? Either way it's clearly only a matter of time anyway.

Probably been a case of his agent doing all the negotiations on his behalf, he's now happy and wants to sign - but before we release him to enable him to sign, they have to pay the release fee.

We may just be dodging a bullet. We have had two good seasons out of Koeman, whose to say next season won't be the one that hits lots of managers too long in the job. If we are wise we can bring new impetus with a new manager and a recruitment of more players to suit added to an already decent team. Only Wanyama and Pelle look to be on the way out, whilst any body else leaving will be horrendously expensive. Liverpool paid over the odds only to finish eighth last year.

Spending lots of money helps but is no magic formula unless it is the right players for the team. Everton now are going to find they are going to be paying £25m for £10m players added to a team that needed rebuilding, good luck with that. There is no guarantee either that Koeman can spend a lot of money in inflated fees and end up with a top team. He is a decent manager but the jury is still out.

If he wants to go, fine, we will just move on and get on with having another decent season

Agree, this keeps things fresh if nothing else. I'm simply not that bothered about him going, just feel we can do better.

Well this thread has kept me entertained for the last couple of days, loving the meltdown by some.

Can I be the first to say "Thanks very much Ron and good luck in your new job". At the end of the day, the guy came to us and did a bloody great job. Remember the 'Ready for training' tweet, no players it would appear - but he sorted it, and then went on to give us probably the two best seasons we've had in many years.

He has no affinity to SFC (nor should he) he is a professional football manager, it's merely a job to him. Absolutely nothing wrong in listening to other job offers, and if one comes up that is too good to turn down - then do what everybody else would do - take it.

It's just another chapter in supporting SFC, people come, people go - we go on. Why all the vitriol is beyond me, while he was here, he worked hard and took us to that next level - we should be thanking him. Everton are a decent club, new owner who appears to want to throw some money into it, personally I say good luck to both Ron and Everton.

All of that said, come the end of next season, I naturally hope that we sit above them in the table as we have done this year. No point looking back now - look to the future, a new manager and new challenges.

Blackmore sharing that Koeman's agent has just been on Fox Sports in Holland to tell everyone Koeman's terms are sorted and he's ready to go to Everton.

If that's the case, the only shame and annoyance is that any feelings I had that there might be at least a tiny bit of honour and loyalty left in football has evaporated. F**k them all quite honestly. I would like the guy to stay, purely because he seemed like a good guy, has done a good job and it would be nice to have some continuity and longevity.

We will do very well to better 6th without new investment.

Agree, and so we would if we had kept Koeman. I like(d) but he had his limitations, and therefore I remain not particularly bothered that he is leaving. For the money they are shelling out, Everton are welcome to him.

didnt take long to thrash out personal terms in the space of 24 hours.

probably been sorting this out for the last week or two hence the sacking of an agent

horrible ****

Edited by Batman

We will do very well to better 6th without new investment.

We'd do very well to better 6th WITH investment in my opinion. If it's purely down to money then we realistically can't compete with the likes of the Chelsea's, Man City's and Man United's whose resources and revenue streams dwarf ours. Even if we suddenly decided to spend £100m on transfers each year you'd still only be on an even playing field with them so would be no guarantee of a better league position (just look at Liverpool for a good example of this).

We've recruited wisely and tried to keep a team spirit going and it's done us well so far. Same sort of thing helped Leicester produce miracles this season too. This club has proven to be resilient when chairmen, managers and players have all left and I have enough faith that we will continue to do well for ourselves even after Ron goes.

Sam Wallace - chief football writer for the Telegraph - with an update: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/06/04/ronald-koeman-agrees-to-become-everton-manager-as-southampton-tu/

- Koeman has agreed to go to Everton

- Saints weren't prepare to get into a bidding war after hearing what Koeman was offered

- Saints deny that Les Reed and Ronald Koeman had a rocky relationship

- The club are now looking at Unai Emery and Eddie Howe as two leading candidates, among others

Well I was thinking more of Cleverley, Fuentes Mori and both goalkeepers myself but there you go.

Yeah, them as well!! I've got a thing about Lennon, was surprised when Everton took him. Well, that's Ron's problem now :smug:

Sam Wallace - chief football writer for the Telegraph - with an update: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/06/04/ronald-koeman-agrees-to-become-everton-manager-as-southampton-tu/

- Koeman has agreed to go to Everton

- Saints weren't prepare to get into a bidding war after hearing what Koeman was offered

- Saints deny that Les Reed and Ronald Koeman had a rocky relationship

- The club are now looking at Unai Emery and Eddie Howe as two leading candidates, among others

Cool, more fed information. Be happy with Emery, however unlikely it may be.