Ron Koeman

Saint Fan CaM

Southampton has designed the winning formula NOT RONALD KOEMAN. He has an important role, but will be replaced with a man equally as good if not better.

Agree with this absolutely

But Koeman sold his best players and finished 6th it's naive to think another manager can do that.

Koeman's job as First Team Manager does not include responsibility for player sales and transfers which lies with the Les Reed, the Executive Director who deals with scouting and recruitment. Obviously, Reed consults with the First Team Manager but although the press like to personalise player transactions as being done by football club managers that is not the case here, or in many other clubs.

That the system works at Southampton is evidenced by the seven years of progression whilst employing 4 different first team managers. I have every confidence that the club will appoint the best manager available as Koeman's replacement. European football and the quality of the squad make this a very attractive package for a top manager looking for a post or thinking about a move.

I'd recommend the advice regularly given to Mr Mannering by Corporal Jones.

Koeman has always had the final say on players we bring in which whilst that isn't total responsibility, it is some responsibility.

To suggest he had little to do with us bringing in Pelle, Tadic, Clasie, VVD, Martina & Stekelenburg is mental.

The Manager suggests which positions are needed, the recruitment team compile options and the whole setup including the Manager align on who the first choice, second choice etc is.

Reed said before, no player joins without the Manager being on board with it.

We have a tendency on here to start playing down the role of anyone who leaves.

But Koeman sold his best players and finished 6th it's naive to think another manager can do that.

Is it? We've sold some of our best players and lost what were considered very good managers these past few years and despite the predictions of dire consequences from the media and even our own fans, we have proved them wrong by replacing them with players and managers who have raised us yet higher. These precedents ought to have instilled some belief in our own fans at least that plans will already have been laid down some time ago to anticipate the departure or serious injury of any player and to have their replacements lined up. Despite Koeman's assurances that seemed to indicate that he would see out his contract, I have absolutely no doubt at all in my mind that his potential successor had also been considered before the season ended.

Our progression of successful improvement in our league possession despite these hindrances, has put us in a far better position to attract a higher calibre of both manager and player. Players can see how they can attract the attention of the top teams if they excel here and that is regardless of whether they are from our academy or signed as previously relatively unknown players like Mane and Wanyama, or those whose careers had seemingly stalled elsewhere, like Long and Bertram. Managerially, the board have developed a knack of appointing the type of manager who likes their team to play the style of football that they wish to give to the fans and that has been effective in the results achieved.

Some of the media will continue to insist that the changes to the team and management each year cannot sustain our position in the league and they have so far been proved wrong. You might take the position that it cannot indeed continue in this manner year after year without us at some stage coming unstuck, but it is arguable that we are better equipped to pull it off this time than we were previously, because we are in a much better position for the reasons I gave above.

Koeman's job as First Team Manager does not include responsibility for player sales and transfers which lies with the Les Reed, the Executive Director who deals with scouting and recruitment. Obviously, Reed consults with the First Team Manager but although the press like to personalise player transactions as being done by football club managers that is not the case here, or in many other clubs.

That the system works at Southampton is evidenced by the seven years of progression whilst employing 4 different first team managers. I have every confidence that the club will appoint the best manager available as Koeman's replacement. European football and the quality of the squad make this a very attractive package for a top manager looking for a post or thinking about a move.

100% this

Deal was agreed on two months ago for RK to go to Everton - good source - We just have to realise the football world see us as a mid tier WBA, Norwich, Coventry, Notts Forrest ,Palace

Type of club. That's where we fit in and the world see us. Anyone with talent and ego - player or manager is always looking to reach the next tier

Until we invest in upgrading our flat packed stadium I reckon that will always be the case

Deal was not done at the time but I was told over 2 months ago by my Everton FC mate of their interest in Koeman and he was their prefered choice. I laughed at him at the time saying there's no way Koeman would go to them, I'm sure he'll remind me of this when I next see him!! If Koeman does go of course.

Rubbish

Remind me what you're a professor of again, pal?

Feel free to crack one out to the Elgarian bluster of the Southampton Way, neatly laminated in an organisational flowchart; but the hard truth is that Koeman had tremendous say in our transfers (and other decisions): former players, a heavy concentration on the Dutch league etc.

If anything structures seemed to become more personalised and idiosyncratic under Koeman's reign. One reason why, if you believe the ITKs, there was growing dissatisfaction around the club during our midseason blip, though that no doubt disappeared with the uptick in results.

All this suggests that pragmatism rather than principle has been the order of the day. Nothing wrong with this to an extent; but lets not pretend otherwise when assessing the sources of our recent success and what it means going forward.

Edited by shurlock

an Everton fans' expectations:

I'll stick the caveat in at the start: I'd term true success - rather than simply doing a satisfactory job - as performing to a standard higher than one might expect. Therefore:

Season 1: minimum top 7 finish with either domestic cup win; or top 4 finish w/o silverware

Season 2: top 4 finish and a long European campaign

Season 3: top 4 finish and one of a domestic cup or CL knock-out stage

would be funny if he now stayed

:lol:

which wont be the case. he has gone

will Everton realise their unstoppable march to the champions league in the next 2 seasons?

I just cannot see how that will happen. They may come close but not no cigar IMO

not with Chelsea, United and City along with no Europe for Liverpool on the cards

Edited by Batman

Yet SSN say categorically no deal has been agreed with RK.

It is deadly silent for a few days now - nothing has really changed since that original remark by some unknown quantity in the Dutch media

Are they? I thought the other day the had this down as a done deal in all but name?

an Everton fans' expectations:

Wonder how that compares to a Man U/arsenal/Liverpool/Spurs/Man City/Chelsea fans expectation who all have better squads and more money than Everton? They really are deluded If they think 100 million is going to propel them to the top!

would be funny if he now stayed

:lol:

which wont be the case. he has gone

will Everton realise their unstoppable march to the champions league in the next 2 seasons?

I just cannot see how that will happen. They may come close but not no cigar IMO

not with Chelsea, United and City along with no Europe for Liverpool on the cards

He's being amply compensated for that additional pressure. But f**k him. It's of little interest to me. He's made his bed, let him in it.

Wonder how that compares to a Man U/arsenal/Liverpool/Spurs/Man City/Chelsea fans expectation who all have better squads and more money than Everton? They really are deluded If they think 100 million is going to propel them to the top!

Considering the riches on hand in the league now, that 100m is really not very impressive.

So many clubs with ambition, yet only so many places at the top. They cannot all fit. As Leicester showed last year, it needs more then finance to be successful.

Hello lads, Everton fan and FFP expert here in peace.

So it looks like this is a goer then? What are your honest thoughts? Thought he did a good job and I like Saints.

What are your thoughts also on the Mersey Billionaires and our new finances pushing FFP to the limit.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Bizzaro.

According to this article we might be getting your old manager David Moyes.

http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/update/2016-06-05/koeman-on-the-brink-of-leaving-southampton/

Remind me what you're a professor of again, pal?

Feel free to crack one out to the Elgarian bluster of the Southampton Way, neatly laminated in an organisational flowchart; but the hard truth is that Koeman had tremendous say in our transfers (and other decisions): former players, a heavy concentration on the Dutch league etc.

If anything structures seemed to become more personalised and idiosyncratic under Koeman's reign. One reason why, if you believe the ITKs, there was growing dissatisfaction around the club during our midseason blip, though that no doubt disappeared with the uptick in results.

All this suggests that pragmatism rather than principle has been the order of the day. Nothing wrong with this to an extent; but lets not pretend otherwise when assessing the sources of our recent success and what it means going forward.

Quite right. Our team is almost entirely a Koeman team assembled, I'd say, almost identically to any other Premier League team - players primarily identified by the manager, sometimes identified by the boys in the lab.

Evolving that into a team for the next guy may or may not be easy. Much like Koeman isn't going to turn Everton into us overnight either.

Considering the riches on hand in the league now, that 100m is really not very impressive.

So many clubs with ambition, yet only so many places at the top. They cannot all fit. As Leicester showed last year, it needs more then finance to be successful.

According to EFC fans on Twitter, we have no ambition. Thats why Koeman is Leaving, and this point to us wanting Eddie Howe as manger. As actually backing up this view. I tend to agree, EH has no EL experience. And only just kept Bompey up. To high a risk at this moment I think.

According to EFC fans on Twitter, we have no ambition. Thats why Koeman is Leaving, and this point to us wanting Eddie Howe as manger. As actually backing up this view. I tend to agree, EH has no EL experience. And only just kept Bompey up. To high a risk at this moment I think.

We haven't appointed Eddie Howe.

another one. They are going to be very disappointed IMO

SUCCESS? First season - a cup win and top 6 in the league OR if we don't win a cup, then minimum top 4 in the league. Our squad was capable of that last season, the missing ingredient was a competent manager.

If these targets weren't met, it wouldn't be a successful season, it would just be more of the same.

Then looking further ahead, each season with a trophy and/or serious inroads in to the Premier League title and European competitions would be considered a success, other than that I don't know how you could frame a trophyless, stagnant season successfu

l

Southampton has designed the winning formula NOT RONALD KOEMAN. He has an important role, but will be replaced with a man equally as good if not better.

I hope this is true but the only manager we will get who is someone who will use us as a stepping stone .

Top managers won't be overly keen to join a club which has a such tight financial constraints compared to other similarly sized clubs . Any new manager will have to accept the board selling our best players each season and then the gamble of rebuilding with cheaper players .

To get a top manager to accept those constraints will be challenging and most likely we will have this same result every few years . Unless we can increase our financial income to counter the ffp we will always struggle to hold on to any one .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Top managers won't be overly keen to join a club which has a such tight financial constraints compared to other similarly sized clubs .

Do we? I'd have thought we have better budgets than most other comparable sized clubs, certainly those outside England.

I hope this is true but the only manager we will get who is someone who will use us as a stepping stone .

Good. If the next five managers use us a stepping stone to a bigger club then we will have had a phenomenally successful decade.

Of the 10 clubs that finished 4th to 13th last season 8 will not have the manager who started last season. BIlic and Hughes the exception and Bilic only one season under belt.

Naive to expect loyalty and stability.

Of the 10 clubs that finished 4th to 13th last season 8 will not have the manager who started last season. BIlic and Hughes the exception and Bilic only one season under belt.

Amazing really - just the same, Ronald will go down in my book as just as big a sly dog as Pochettino was characterised to be. Les Reed's probably a sly old dog too - that's the difficult part for the average fan; the game's made up of a collection of sly dogs and opportunists, and the great Dutch hope ended up being another example.

That is some stat.....

The interesting thing is of course how many of those clubs are specifically set up to manage player/manager transitions.

Ummmm. Us, and .........?

Hi

Everton fan here, sorry to post on your forum.

I've seen a lot of gloating and ****e being posted by other Everton fans, so just thought I would say, we're not all like that.

Koeman wasn't the majority of the fans first choice for manager, but I do think he will be a good for Everton, albeit he is certainly going to use us as a stepping stone...some Everton fans are saying we are actually using him as a stepping stone, but we'll see how it pans out.

Southampton are in a similar position to Everton a few years back, breaking in to the top 5 or 6 (maybe even CL) but then you sell your best players (or in this case manager) and you then hit a ceiling.

Unfortunately Everton are now part of the group of clubs that seem to want to throw money at everything, I think this is the major reason behind Koeman coming to Everton. The 'bigger' club shout is a non argument really, I'm not even sure what that means, history means nothing if you're not achieving anything right now...and we haven't won anything in over 21 years.

Always enjoy the away days to St Mary's and hopefully Southampton can go on to appoint another great manager and keep rustling the feathers of the top 4 or 5. I would say stay a million miles away from Martinez if I were you.... I personally think Pelligrini or Howe would be great appointments.

Hi

Everton fan here, sorry to post on your forum.

I've seen a lot of gloating and ****e being posted by other Everton fans, so just thought I would say, we're not all like that.

Koeman wasn't the majority of the fans first choice for manager, but I do think he will be a good for Everton, albeit he is certainly going to use us as a stepping stone...some Everton fans are saying we are actually using him as a stepping stone, but we'll see how it pans out.

Southampton are in a similar position to Everton a few years back, breaking in to the top 5 or 6 (maybe even CL) but then you sell your best players (or in this case manager) and you then hit a ceiling.

Unfortunately Everton are now part of the group of clubs that seem to want to throw money at everything, I think this is the major reason behind Koeman coming to Everton. The 'bigger' club shout is a non argument really, I'm not even sure what that means, history means nothing if you're not achieving anything right now...and we haven't won anything in over 21 years.

Always enjoy the away days to St Mary's and hopefully Southampton can go on to appoint another great manager and keep rustling the feathers of the top 4 or 5. I would say stay a million miles away from Martinez if I were you.... I personally think Pelligrini or Howe would be great appointments.

I would still argue that Koeman is a gentleman but you cannot really turn down that sort of money. Football is a fickle business and he could be out of a job in an instance as he knows from experience.

He is a good manager but it will be difficult for him at Everton, there will be higher expectations. Losing a striker who delivers potential 20 plus goals a season will be very hard to replace as will a good young defender. Part of his success with us was centred around the fact that he could cherry pick the Dutch league for the best players because he knew the league. He also found Mane through his Dutch management days. He cannot do that now so effectively and although he will try and poach some of our players historically we are reluctant to sell to former managers.

I would still argue that Koeman is a gentleman but you cannot really turn down that sort of money. Football is a fickle business and he could be out of a job in an instance as he knows from experience.

He is a good manager but it will be difficult for him at Everton, there will be higher expectations. Losing a striker who delivers potential 20 plus goals a season will be very hard to replace as will a good young defender. Part of his success with us was centred around the fact that he could cherry pick the Dutch league for the best players because he knew the league. He also found Mane through his Dutch management days. He cannot do that now so effectively and although he will try and poach some of our players historically we are reluctant to sell to former managers.

But did RK introduce Mane, or was he through our acclaimed black box ?

Hop you're right about selling to former managers, but most deals tend to be conducted by agents, and clubs told about them. Haven't there been cases of players refusing to go to Club A, after clubs agree fees, because they want to to B to join a former manager (even though B have not met the asdking price) and trying to force their move?

With our infrastructure, EH could be a brilliant appointment - certainly out-thought RK when they thumped us last season. Amazing that some fans want Giggs/Neville when they have even less experience.

Everton is no stepping stone for Koeman. It's more like a broken plank in the bridge and Koeman is a plank if he thinks this will lead to anywhere better. Southampton was exactly the right place to go forward with a splash in Europe next season. At least when he falls he'll be clutching a fistful of money and we all know that's what it is all about.

With our infrastructure, EH could be a brilliant appointment - certainly out-thought RK when they thumped us last season. Amazing that some fans want Giggs/Neville when they have even less experience.

Defiantly didn't out think koeman, his team out fought us and wanted it as much as the bmuff fans wanted it

I'd rather have FDB or Emery, think the team needs a kudos manager that koeman was