Be a Red Devil for the day

Maggie May

Very Sad. Saints are good enough to get to the Group stage on merit and to have the smug Van Gaal to thank doesn't bear thinking about. Just imagine an interview where he says, "and with this great victory celebrated by Louis Van Gaal's Army, we have helped little Southampton to a better place in the Europa League".

I imagine the first six or seven questions for Van Gaal in the BBC post-match interview will be about how Manchester United have impacted Southampton's Europa League qualification.

Clearly you don't care, but that's your problem. Many other real Saints' fans do and want no favours from Van Gaal. Fortunately, Palace now have a great opportunity to win it. Smalling usually deserves a red card almost every time he steps onto a football pitch so its nice to see when he gets one.

Full time. Europa Group stage here we come. Get in!

Group stage it is[emoji2][emoji106]

Group Stages !!!!!!!!

Good result.

I feel really dirty now.

Group Stages :D

I feel dirty, but this is a good thing.

Group Stage!!!

Right can you lot go away so the real saints fans can start crying about LVG doing us a favour....

The other thing is I want to see West Ham in Europe. I think they could really push on next season so hopefully having a few extra matches could hinder them like it could hinder us.

Yep perfect result. I won money betting on United, we skip the group stages, more games for a west ham side who are likely to spend big in the summer. I feel sorry for Palace but the selfish Saints pragmatic element wins for me.

If we didn't have anything riding on the result, I would have given up watching this game a long time ago.

Literally the second the whistle went I switched over, there's a repeat of Jonathan Creek on Sky channel 158. Also, Uncle Buck is on ITV2 in 10 minutes if anyone's interested.

Excellent result. I know there are many would have happily gone through the qualifiers to see a Palace win but they're 2 weeks after the end of the Euros for crying out loud. Imagine if Fonte and Cedric made it all the way to the final with Portugal, or Bertrand with Eng... forget it, that one wont happen.

Let's see who's still pining over a Palace win when West Ham are losing 1-0 away to Zorya Luhansk.

It wont live long in my memory; I'm sure it would with Palace fans but we aren't them.

Fact is we were 3 points away from the Champions League last season. Those Europa League games were fairly disruptive for our preseason and we started our League campaign with 2 draws against pretty poor Newcastle and Watford teams, with a spanking by Everton in their for good measure.

If the first half of this season had been as good as 2014, we'd have earned an extra 9 points by halfway. All things being equal in the second half, we could have finished with 72 points and in second place. Palace have a fun day out and a Cup final, like we did in 2003, but I'm not going to sit here and hope they win it and compromise next season for us before it's even begun.

Not a 'field of dreams' type bloke I see.

But you tell me where you last saw your football soul and I'll send out a search party and see if we can rediscover it.

Very Sad. Saints are good enough to get to the Group stage on merit and to have the smug Van Gaal to thank doesn't bear thinking about. Just imagine an interview where he says, "and with this great victory celebrated by Louis Van Gaal's Army, we have helped little Southampton to a better place in the Europa League".

It is going to be humiliating f'sure. I'd rather we just gave up football altogether than play in Europe knowing it's only thanks to that smug Dutch ****er!!!!

Not a 'field of dreams' type bloke I see.

But you tell me where you last saw your football soul and I'll send out a search party and see if we can rediscover it.

Probably bouncing around my living room when we beat Spurs on TV. That's if it didn't go out the window when we beat City the week before. Failing that, I may have left it under the table in an apres ski bar in the Alps, after one too many beers watching us destroy Arsenal.

My point being, I'll get all tearful and overjoyed over Saints, thank you very much. 'An other team' winning the FA Cup isn't THAT amazing, let's be honest. Wigan did it a couple of years ago, then there's that lot down the road. Unusual but not exactly once in a lifetime.

It is going to be humiliating f'sure. I'd rather we just gave up football altogether than play in Europe knowing it's only thanks to that smug Dutch ****er!!!!

We are there on merit, having finished sixth. If it had been any of the top four teams instead of Palace then we would already have been in the group stages.

Probably bouncing around my living room when we beat Spurs on TV. That's if it didn't go out the window when we beat City the week before. Failing that, I may have left it under the table in an apres ski bar in the Alps, after one too many beers watching us destroy Arsenal.

My point being, I'll get all tearful and overjoyed over Saints, thank you very much. 'An other team' winning the FA Cup isn't THAT amazing, let's be honest. Wigan did it a couple of years ago, then there's that lot down the road. Unusual but not exactly once in a lifetime.

Yeah but your attitude has led you to the dark side of the football force young Lighthouse and ended up with you actualy wanting Man Utd to win a football match! There just has to be something deeply perverse in that surely.