The Manuel Pellegrini Thread

Matthew Le God

I absolutely cannot stand Walter Zenga!!!I don't care what his managerial record is like (and it's not good anyway),I can't stand the man.Surely it's a wind up??

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

You mean you'd actually heard of him before this evening?

You mean you'd actually heard of him before this evening?

Yep,Inter Milan and Italy goalkeeper.I remember him from the channel 4 Italian football show.The man is an utter tool.If we do actually get him it means that LITERALLY EVERYBODY has turned us down.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Luke warm about Pellegrini, thought he underperformed at Citeh given the resources and does he still have the hunger having previously managed some big clubs?

Would personally prefer a young hungry manager but a guy like Pellegrini does have the 'big name' status which will attract quality players.

I will say that it would an ambitious statement from the club (despite my questions) if they get him bearing in mind his status in the game.

How can you want a yng hungry manager who either does well and leaves or does badly and leaves! Pellegrini is very unlikely to be poached

Yes... but he did so with absolute swathes of cash. Oh, and Pellegrini took over the club in the relegation places in 2010/11. Next season, , they spent sh1tloads. Done well for the 6th place finish though

Pellegrini spent £44m, that is not a huge amount.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/malaga-cf/transfers/verein/1084/plus/0?saison_id=2011&pos=&detailpos=&w_s=

Koeman spent a lot more than that at Saints in 2014/15.

Pellegrini spent £44m, that is not a huge amount.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/malaga-cf/transfers/verein/1084/plus/0?saison_id=2011&pos=&detailpos=&w_s=

Koeman spent a lot more than that at Saints in 2014/15.

This suggests that for Malaga that is quite the substantial amount. http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-malaga/alletransfers/verein/1084

However much it is for Malaga, it's not actually that much to turn a relegation threatened club into a top 6 one, even in Spain.

I mean how many people think Everton's £100 million pot will be enough to get into the top 6, do you reckon they'd manage it with less than half that.

Plus whatever the amount of money you spend, you still need to mould that into a team, so you could label it as a fault of his for failing that in the last couple of seasons at Man City, but LVG spent over £250 million at Utd and that got him a 4th and 5th placed finish.

Plus his record at Villereal was good and that was with no much cash as well.

However much it is for Malaga, it's not actually that much to turn a relegation threatened club into a top 6 one, even in Spain.

I mean how many people think Everton's £100 million pot will be enough to get into the top 6, do you reckon they'd manage it with less than half that.

Plus whatever the amount of money you spend, you still need to mould that into a team, so you could label it as a fault of his for failing that in the last couple of seasons at Man City, but LVG spent over £250 million at Utd and that got him a 4th and 5th placed finish.

Plus his record at Villereal was good and that was with no much cash as well.

How many people of independant minds would want to have to answer to Les Reed? That will cut the applicants down lol

Perhaps you could rephrase that to, how many people would like to work at sfc with our infrastructure, training facilties, quality players and be part of an

club that shows good progression year on year...

Pellegrini would be an incredible appointment.

With the other names in the frame I do get a sense of trepidation.....with Pellegrini I would feel much more comfortable we wouldn't be at the wrong end of the table.

I don't think we were geared up to lose Koeman at all....hence I believe we would be stable under Pellegrini and not rushed into a 'hopeful' appointment.

We knew Pochettino was going...we sounded out Koeman....I don't think we have that luxury this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I don't think Pellegrini would be a good fit for saints. The formula that seems to have worked for us over the past five years is to select a manager who's career is in the ascendancy. For me, Pellegrini's career is in decline now. The guy has nothing to prove and would lack the hunger needed as far as i'm concerned.

Pellegrini would be an incredible appointment.

With the other names in the frame I do get a sense of trepidation.....with Pellegrini I would feel much more comfortable we wouldn't be at the wrong end of the table.

I don't think we were geared up to lose Koeman at all....hence I believe we would be stable under Pellegrini and not rushed into a 'hopeful' appointment.

We knew Pochettino was going...we sounded out Koeman....I don't think we have that luxury this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

surely we knew that by koeman only having a year left on his contract we had to prepare for a possible future without him? surely we were looking at possible replacements in the event that he didn't sign a contract extension?

We also visited St Petersburg , was supposed to be Moscow but the special forces had just gassed 300 hostages in the terrorist attack on a theatre . It was almost like a film set in that the front of the buildings were well rendered and painted but if you looked down the side it was pretty rough. There was an obvious divide between the few haves and the the majority have nots . There seem to be numerous different Police forces , we were advised not to use public transport , not to drink the water and even use bottled water to brush your teeth . The "Mafia" were obvious as they all drove round in BMWs and Mercs . The Mrs fell foul of the local water (parasite laden) and was ill for 3 months back in Blighty. The Winter Palace etc were very impressive , Catherine the Great had bought Monets by the dozen for about 5/- each ! So would we go back ? NO ! Not strictly football related but if you take notice of what goes on in Russia and what officials say about the Euros , drug testing etc you would only go to the world cup if you were on a guided visit . We had guided trips and they stopped us getting short changed etc several times .

We also visited St Petersburg , was supposed to be Moscow but the special forces had just gassed 300 hostages in the terrorist attack on a theatre . It was almost like a film set in that the front of the buildings were well rendered and painted but if you looked down the side it was pretty rough. There was an obvious divide between the few haves and the the majority have nots . There seem to be numerous different Police forces , we were advised not to use public transport , not to drink the water and even use bottled water to brush your teeth . The "Mafia" were obvious as they all drove round in BMWs and Mercs . The Mrs fell foul of the local water (parasite laden) and was ill for 3 months back in Blighty. The Winter Palace etc were very impressive , Catherine the Great had bought Monets by the dozen for about 5/- each ! So would we go back ? NO ! Not strictly football related but if you take notice of what goes on in Russia and what officials say about the Euros , drug testing etc you would only go to the world cup if you were on a guided visit . We had guided trips and they stopped us getting short changed etc several times .

Yep. St Peters is full of grime ignoring the show houses but you can still walk around lots of it pretty freely - or could. The police usually looked to pick upon young Russian men who wore leather (because it signifies you're a 'bad boy') or maybe the few obvious immigrants. You should have read up about the water: it's apparently also full of heavy metals but as most stuff in Russia is (or was) dirt cheap just get a few litres of bottled stuff. The metro is great but if you can't read Cyrillic ... As for being charged double it's par for the course in several places. Just argue and then walk out if they don't drop it. Mostly they will because the kind of places you would have gone to would have overcharged you anyway (and probably did as the guide was likely to be in cahoots with the vendors). Learning a few words would have helped too.

Anyway, back to Pellegrini. I can see pros and cons and wonder if the manager choice reflects the new direction. Otherwise I'm not sure we'll really get many youth team players in the team. Does he have a track record of bringing through large numbers (not Iheanacho who seems obviously one who'll make it) of youth team players at places other than City?

Perhaps you could rephrase that to, how many people would like to work at sfc with our infrastructure, training facilties, quality players and be part of an

club that shows good progression year on year...

You could rephrase that any way you want but he has a point.

IF we landed MP then the club would gain an opportunity learn. There is no way that Les would have someone of his experience to pummel for knowledge and not learn everything he can from MP. Les maybe David Brent but he's a clever David Brent.

Have you ever been to Russia?

You Moscow :lol:

Remains the only place in Europe Ive ever seen dirt roads in towns, wooden bridges, turf roofed houses, hand carts and barefooted kids begging in the street. Russia isnt Moscow.

Edited by buctootim

Would be pretty remarkable if true.

Not my first choice initially but mainly because him coming to us didn't seem plausible, not a Southampton Way type appointment.

If it happens not sure how anyone could doubt our ambition. Yet again, an upgrade.

I just cannot share in other's sense of enthusiasm for this manager.

With one of the most expensive and talented squads in world football at his disposal the record shows that his club finished a whole 3 points ahead of us last season. At the end of that season his team almost 'fell' over the line rather strode across it in a league they probably should have won. Indeed, it is hard to dispute methinks that for much of the time his players really didn't perform at what many might consider to be a acceptable level given their ability - that is a critism of them AND of a manager who could not motivate his players is it not? I don't see much value in employing his approaching departure as an excuse for this collective failure.

Isn't one of the most pressing requirements for the next SFC manager is that he is willing to give our development squad players a proper chance to show what they can do - is there much evidence of that happening at Man City during his reign?

If he gets the job then good luck to him. If he goes on to do a 'Claudio' then in a year's time someone can dig this old thread up and have a good laugh at my expense - I really wouldn't mind that much as long as we succeed. But right now the prospect of Manuel Pellegrini being put in charge does not fill this fan with much sense of optimism.

With one of the most expensive and talented squads in world football at his disposal the record shows that his club finished a whole 3 points ahead of us last season. At the end of that season his team almost 'fell' over the line rather strode across it in a league they probably should have won. Indeed, it is hard to dispute methinks that for much of the time his players really didn't perform at what many might consider to be a acceptable level given their ability - that is a critism of them AND of a manager who could not motivate his players is it not? I don't see much value in employing his approaching departure as an excuse for this collective failure.

Isn't one of the most pressing requirements for the next SFC manager is that he is willing to give our development squad players a proper chance to show what they can do - is there much evidence of that happening at Man City during his reign?

If he gets the job then good luck to him. If he goes on to do a 'Claudio' then in a year's time someone can dig this old thread up and have a good laugh at my expense - I really wouldn't mind that much as long as we succeed. But right now the prospect of Manuel Pellegrini being put in charge does not fill this fan with much sense of optimism.

Didn't help 3 of his best players were out for vast parts of the season.players who were expected to perform like toure and sterling were also fairly crap.he has used some youth but do you think really think the city board would allow him to spend 40 mill on a player and then just play someone from the academy.

What I like most about him though is the pedigree he would bring , players would see he's in charge and be impressed no doubt about it. We will wait and see :)

Didn't help 3 of his best players were out for vast parts of the season.players who were expected to perform like toure and sterling were also fairly crap.he has used some youth but do you think really think the city board would allow him to spend 40 mill on a player and then just play someone from the academy.

What I like most about him though is the pedigree he would bring , players would see he's in charge and be impressed no doubt about it. We will wait and see :)

Pedigree is no guarantee of success or even respect in the modern game. If it were then Loius van Gaal would still be in charge of the other Manchester club.

Pedigree is no guarantee of success or even respect in the modern game. If it were then Loius van Gaal would still be in charge of the other Manchester club.

You could even argue that LvG would be a better fit, after all he did blood a number of academy players at Utd.

*I'm not suggesting I would want LvG though*

City were 2nd, 3pts off Leicester at the end of January, then KdB got injured and it all went downhill. Once they were out of the title race the focus would've been CL; which they reached the semis for; and just doing enough to get top 4 in the league. IMO if City had the dream injury run Leicester had then they would've been challenging come gameweek 38.

As for playing youth, he gave Sterling 50 games last season so obviously he has some inclination to play and develop kids at the expense of winning.

you could say the same about a lot of *star* managers last term. Mourinho, for example, got sacked for doing so badly with a team of expensive and talented players, and they finished below us. Klopp didn't get an amazing points total with Liverpool, despite all the media love - finished below us. Wenger only finished 8 pts ahead of us. Who exactly would you get enthusiastic about? Some obscure foreign coach with a good PR team and some relative success outside of the premier league?

We've signed anItsy Bitsy teeny weenyManuel Pellegrini That's what I saw on the Internet todayWe've signed anItsy Bitsy teeny weenyManuel Pellegrini Might be an old manBut he's coming to stay
You need to lie down and rest Fry as you're not well.

City were 2nd, 3pts off Leicester at the end of January, then KdB got injured and it all went downhill. Once they were out of the title race the focus would've been CL; which they reached the semis for; and just doing enough to get top 4 in the league. IMO if City had the dream injury run Leicester had then they would've been challenging come gameweek 38.

As for playing youth, he gave Sterling 50 games last season so obviously he has some inclination to play and develop kids at the expense of winning.

Managers are paid to manage problems. If you lose a player - not a atypical situation in football - then you cope with the problem and carry on, especialy given the kind of almost unlimited resources available at City. If you can't do that very well then I start to wonder why not? As for Sterling, yes he is still young but you can hardly compare a big money signing bought in from Liverpool to our home grown youngsters who hardly played last season.

To those who are saying Pellegrini had a poor last season at Man City, I'm inclined to agree. With such cash and players at his disposal, why didn't they end up winning the league?

However, in MPel's defence, I would point out the dignity with which he carried out his duties after the Man City board jeopardised proceedings by announcing the imminent arrival of Guardiola. Few managers would carry out their job to such a standard - let alone take City to a record high finish in the Champions League - after such a drop in expectations. So, for that, I think MPel deserves a bit of respect.

I'd be delighted to have him as manager of Southampton - it shows intent not just to us fans, but to current players, future players, and other teams in the PL that we are here to compete and do good business. We aren't rushing into a decision, but doing things the Southampton Way.

We've signed an

Itsy Bitsy teeny weeny

Manuel Pellegrini

That's what I saw on the Internet today

We've signed an

Itsy Bitsy teeny weeny

Manuel Pellegrini

Might be an old man

But he's coming to stay

Well I liked it :lol:

"Pellegrini offered Russia coach role" says the i newspaper today.

As widely discussed. The Russian Fa are on the Verge of bankruptcy.

Any sane person would want payment up front.

The current manager has been praying on zero salary and only a win bonus.