Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

Bryan Swanson @skysports_bryan

Virgil van Dijk hands in transfer request at Southampton: "I feel I have no alternative." Full statement on #SSN

... Other than to actually follow the correct procedure for when you want to leave a club. I've tried all the cloak and dagger tactics to walk out on my 6 year contract and still take my huge 'loyalty' bonus but the club wouldn't give in.

Transfer request changes nothing, still got a long term contract, still not going to sulk for the next 5 years. No deal to anyone. Caving in now would just encourage this tactic to be used on Bertrand/Cedric/Romeu etc, time for us to stand strong.

Oh do f*ck off Virgil. Nobody forced you to tie yourself to us on a six year deal did they? Oh wait, it must have been the increased weekly wage that convinced you. Had you decided it was time for a new challenge when you accepted the team captaincy? As I recall that was immediately prior to the game you were injured. Must have been during the time you were sitting on the sidelines being paid a fortune whilst being rehabilitated by SFC staff and at the expense of the club.

I thought I had a deep hatred for Lallana and Lovren but Virgil has taken it to a new level. The sooner the door hits him on the way out of SMS the better. Not to the dippers though, neither he nor they deserve the satisfaction.

Nice to hear that the club has rebuffed every offer. I'm sure the club will come out and say that if anyone matches our valuation he will go otherwise he will stay and be fined for every match he refuses to play in.

Thats what they should say yes. He is under contract to play football matches, he is refusing to do that, what a snivelling little ****.

Well, the c*nt has finally been backed into a corner and forced to put in a transfer request, so his greed in attempting to gain the transfer by effectively displaying the unprofessional sulk has not paid off, thank God. At least that will save the club a few bob. But whatever we do now, no way should he be sold to Liverpool under any circumstances. With luck his transfer request will bring in other suitors with clout and money and there can be a bidding war to raise the price.

Edited by Wes Tender

Well, the c*nt has finally been backed into a corner and forced to put in a transfer request, so his greed in attempting to gain the transfer by effectively displaying the unprofessional sulk has not paid off, thank God. At least that will save the club a few bob. But whatever we do now, no way should he be sold to Liverpool under any circumstances. With luck his transfer request will bring in other suitors with clout and money and there can be a bidding war to raise the price.

What exactly is the legal position now, though? Are we still under the terms of his contract able to refuse to sell him unless a price acceptable to us is paid? His stance with his insistence that he wants to go to Liverpool has weakened our bargaining position with other clubs who think that the Scousers have an advantage. Could we still hold onto him until the window closes if we don't get an acceptable price for him? That would be interesting.

of course we can hold on to him. It's a transfer REQUEST. The club do not have to accept it and unless someone meets their asking price I suspect they will.

Statement went out earlier than expected. Nothing further to add really. TR handed in this morning; his statement went out 8 hours later which basically gave the club no time to publicise this on their terms. He neatly leaves out that although he agreed to train, he refused to play in matches.

Lets see how ambitious he really is, if he chooses Liverpool over Chelsea then he has chosen a club who has to qualify through group stages to champions league over a club who's already in the main draw!
He still isn't a position to choose anything.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Statement went out earlier than expected. Nothing further to add really. TR handed in this morning; his statement went out 8 hours later which basically gave the club no time to publicise this on their terms. He neatly leaves out that although he agreed to train, he refused to play in matches.

Eight hours. No time. Er.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Presumably the fine is for leaving the sponsor / photo event and nothing whatsoever to do with training away from the first team which MP has always made clear was a decision taken by him, following discussion with Virgil.

And if he was so desperate to leave following his injury then why didn't he hand in the request before the window opened?

And if he wants to win stuff then why did he talk to Liverpool?

Basically, he comes across as a bigger **** than before.

What exactly is the legal position now, though? Are we still under the terms of his contract able to refuse to sell him unless a price acceptable to us is paid? His stance with his insistence that he wants to go to Liverpool has weakened our bargaining position with other clubs who think that the Scousers have an advantage. Could we still hold onto him until the window closes if we don't get an acceptable price for him? That would be interesting.

Our legal position hasn't changed as far as my understanding goes. We hold the players registration for the next 5 years. We hold the cards here. There is nothing illegal in holding someone to the terms of a contract that was signed whilst sound of mind. The only way out of it is for him to prove we are in breach of it, or he was doolaly-tap when he signed it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I would really like to bump into this clown and tell him what 95% of the fans think of him. It's time for a club to make a stand against players like VVD hold them to their contact even if it costs a few bob, let them train on their own and as they are not playing it will ruin their career.

Edited by Toomer

This just about takes the biscuit for me, of all the player departures we've had in the past few years, this is the worst.

To recap:

- Signs new six year contract a year ago

- Gets made captain, which he calls an honour

- Injured immediately for the rest of the season

- While Saints are busy helping him recover from injury, he's busy meeting Liverpool to discuss a summer move

- Despite no bid being made, he tries to force the club's hand by saying he's not right mentally to play

And now the club are in the wrong...? Right

What a genuine t**ser

Yes, we can hold onto his registration for five years if we want. Which would be quite funny.

Yes, we can hold onto his registration for five years if we want. Which would be quite funny.

But...but...a player's career is so short! It's SO unfair!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This just about takes the biscuit for me, of all the player departures we've had in the past few years, this is the worst.

To recap:

- Signs new six year contract a year ago

- Gets made captain, which he calls an honour

- Injured immediately for the rest of the season

- While Saints are busy helping him recover from injury, he's busy meeting Liverpool to discuss a summer move

- Despite no bid being made, he tries to force the club's hand by saying he's not right mentally to play

And now the club are in the wrong...? Right

What a genuine t**ser

His injury reminded him how fragile and fickle a football career is.

Would go along with that. Do you think we'll bring in another CB, even if VVD stays? How long do you think it'll take to reintegrate into VVD into the side, assuming he stays? With the likely signing of Lemina, will we look to sell one of our midfielders to cut possible bloat?

EDIT: Just seen VVD's bridge-burning statement.

We are overtaken by events

It will be interesting to see what the clubs response to this will be. Probably silence...

He leaves out many details that would portray him as the party in the wrong in this statement. His secret conversations with Liverpool and the fact he signed a 6 year contract less than 12 months ago. I'm not sure what he hopes to achieve with this statement. This whole fiasco was already about as public as it could get so I'm curious what difference he hopes this statement will make.

I'm certain our bridges with Liverpool are completely burnt so I guess either Chelsea offers our asking price or he's stuck in the reserves as he's just forfeited his third choice which was to return to the first team.

DGo6Bu2XoAAR3qa.jpg

DGo6R5VXYAEWclK.jpg

DGo6fH-XUAA-rWN.jpg

All those words and yet no mention of the lucrative six year contract he signed last year.

Needed another draft or two - not nearly enough self-pity.

Hard to imagine bridges aren't being burned at the moment. It'll be interesting to see the club's response.

Time the club took a stand and put him in the reserves. The guy is an absolute scum bag. Talks about being injured made him realise how short his career is whilst picking up his pay cheque for doing nothing for 8 months. Then has the nerve to complain about not getting 2 weeks wages. Needs to be made an example of imo.

I suspect the fine has provoked this reaction because he's panicking that, presumably, he can be fined again and again for refusing to play. He didn't expect Saints to be so firm in their resistance, and I really hope they hold firm. I want to see him squirm.

And if he does go, as he has stated that the only place he wants is Liverpool, make sure it's anywhere else.

I'd rather sell him to Huddersfield after we've received no acceptable offers.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk