Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

we have known VVD will be leaving this transfer season since the turn of the year, why drag it out like they have been doing so. Surely it would have been better to let him go on the 1st of June & invested the transfer fee wisely instead of buying a 2nd rate polish cb, and then panicking at the end of August when VVD finally leaves and buying some chump from Colchester claiming he's the ideal replacement, like I expect us to do so.

The club may very well have been aware that our new captain had had a sudden change of heart at the turn of the year, 6 months or so after signing a contract extension with a chunky new pay rise (thank you very much), but that doesn't mean the club had any intention of giving it any more attention than a "tough sh*t fella, should have thought about that a few short months ago". Nah, club are doing all the right things over VVD right now - as long as they don't end up flogging him off to the scallies anyway.

Every flipping year, we have a transfer overshadowing the start/end of the season. Shoddy behaviour from our board and continues to make us look second rate.

This is because of several reasons, most beyond our control. Liverpool have transfers overshadowing the start/end of the season, as do other glory clubs. Liverpool's board have acted in a shoddy manner. Do they look second rate as a result? Underhand and unethical maybe, but second rate?

Transfers of players isn't as simple as you would like them to be, you know. When we sell a player and have to buy a replacement, then it is a bit like buying a selling house where there is a chain. It helps to have somebody in mind to replace those who leave and their clubs likewise won't sell until they have arranged replacements too.

Selling shares in a company for £200 million attracts far less tax than selling the shares in a company for £140 million plus taking £60 million in cash out. I'm not a tax expert, but I have a feeling that Kat's tax bill may have something to do with the shareholder's reluctance to sell VVD.

we have known VVD will be leaving this transfer season since the turn of the year, why drag it out like they have been doing so. Surely it would have been better to let him go on the 1st of June & invested the transfer fee wisely instead of buying a 2nd rate polish cb, and then panicking at the end of August when VVD finally leaves and buying some chump from Colchester claiming he's the ideal replacement, like I expect us to do so.

Yeah, sell him in June and let every other club know that we have all that dosh burning a hole in our pockets when we come to buy a replacement. That would be bright, wouldn't it?

No we have`nt mush, i suggest you are the one who epitomises the "chump"

RAWK is having a bit of a moment following the Chelsea "bid". Interestingly, some of them have realized that months (years?) of winding up Saints fans on social media may be working against them, resulting in an "anyone but LFC" momentum.

Anyway, the RAWK VVD thread (where all mention of SaintsWeb is banned) is presently on lockdown with the following message from their Mod, who apparently finds punctuation confusing...

Have a think when this get's re-opened before continuing with the general bedwetting and doom and gloom

Genuinely hate those dipper c*nts and if any of them reading this (we know you are) i hope if we have to sell we sell to anyone but liverpool, though i'd actually prefer it if we just let him rot in the reserves.

If there's one club in the premier league i'd like to see fail it's those victim c*nts. I even want Everton to finish above them and their harold shipman lookalike, yewtree dressing manager to get sacked.

I have no doubt you would have reacted with overwhelming positivity if we had sold Virgil on May 25th for £60m to Liverpool.

Well done Saints on acting so decisively you'd say. Well done on making sure our start to the season isn't overshadowed you'd say. Well done Saints and well done Les on doing the right thing. Well done on doing the thing that makes lots of sense and well done on not doing something that makes little sense. That's definitely what you would have said, right? Right?

[emoji23]

a, we do not need to sell

b, we have received no official approach

c, 6 year contract

d, No transfer request

c, Lfc cannot make an official approach due to ending of all interest in the player

5 things to point out to VvD that are v unlikely to change. He doesn't need to like it but he needs to accept it and get on with being a professional football player for Southampton Football Club.

Hi all

I'm a long-time reader on here, but never posted before.

But I just wanted to comment on how disappointing it would be if we lost Virgil.

He's a beast of a player and a quality defender that could improve any team in Europe.

I really hope he doesn't leave, but if he does... why Liverpool? Why always them? Getting so sick of this now.

Sounds like the Chelsea rumours are gathering a bit of pace.

Still just rumours though.

Chelsea would certainly be more palatable, considering two of our best players have come from them recently.

I'd still be keeping him here though, gambling on him getting his head down and playing. Less of a gamble than trying to bring in a replacement with this little time left before the end of the transfer window for me.

I see that Dîck Advocaat has weighed in then, talking about earning five times as much elsewhere. Another one who lives in the real world then, must believe we're paying the bloke in bottle tops and beer mats I suppose.

Only a matter of time before we get Shhteve McLaren's thoughts on the situation then.

Surely Virgil can do better than Liverpool?

I mean fair enough if he really wants to leave, but why go to a team that's won about as much as we have in the last 10 years?

If you believe the stuff that was spewed around in the media in June, VVD wants them because they NEED him. He sees himself going down as some kind of Liverpool legend among their highly emotional, hero-worshipping fanbase. On other teams like Chelsea and City, he would be just another player subject to rotation. I'm pretty sure one media report had him criticizing City's tepid supporters and praising the passion of Liverpool's, who remind him of his time in Celtic.

A short answer would be VVD has an unusually large ego.

If you believe the stuff that was spewed around in the media in June, VVD wants them because they NEED him. He sees himself going down as some kind of Liverpool legend among their highly emotional, hero-worshipping fanbase. On other teams like Chelsea and City, he would be just another player subject to rotation. I'm pretty sure one media report had him criticizing City's tepid supporters and praising the passion of Liverpool's, who remind him of his time in Celtic.

A short answer would be VVD has an unusually large ego.

Wow that's pretty pathetic.

This whole 'Liverpool passionate fan-base' thing is completely overblown anyway. It's like a library there most weeks.

I see that Dîck Advocaat has weighed in then, talking about earning five times as much elsewhere. Another one who lives in the real world then, must believe we're paying the bloke in bottle tops and beer mats I suppose.

A lovely thing for the Dutch manager to say. I wonder...if VVD is fit but refusing to play, can the club hold him back from international duty? Is he even eligible for selection? The Dutch are in an uncomfortable position in their group, and have a big game coming up against the French.

A lovely thing for the Dutch manager to say. I wonder...if VVD is fit but refusing to play, can the club hold him back from international duty? Is he even eligible for selection? The Dutch are in an uncomfortable position in their group, and have a big game coming up against the French.

He hasn't even been called up to their latest squad.

He hasn't even been called up to their latest squad.

What squad would that be then ?

Anyway a club can never refuse to release a player for international duty, injury excepted of course.

Doing so renders the player ineligible for the club.

Edited by Window Cleaner

It's not a sideways step, but it's certainly nowhere near as big a step up as Liverpool fans would like to believe.

what, saints to liverpool?

of course it is. Hence why so many of our players can't get there quick enough

we even have one who signed a huge deal 12 months ago, ready to go on strike in a world cup year to go there over anyone else

If Champions League football was his key motivation he would have stayed at Celtic rather than joining us. Money is the motivation and Liverpool could offer him huge wages regardless of them being in the group stages or not.

I agree but I suspect that if the dippers weren't in the CL his stance of "Liverpool and no one else" might change to "actually I'd quite like Chelsea". Chelsea can offer him massive wages, guaranteed CL group stage and a realistic shot at the title and, let's face it, London is a far nicer place to live than Liverpool. I suspect if they make a credible bid that's where he will end up as the board will know they won't face as big a backlash if he goes there and we won't be allowing the dippers to prosper from what we believed to be an illegal approach.

we even have one who signed a huge deal 12 months ago, ready to go on strike in a world cup year to go there over anyone else

Since they left, Lallana, Lovren, Clyne etc. have won the same amount of trophies as we have.

Selling shares in a company for £200 million attracts far less tax than selling the shares in a company for £140 million plus taking £60 million in cash out. I'm not a tax expert, but I have a feeling that Kat's tax bill may have something to do with the shareholder's reluctance to sell VVD.

This. Plus the lack of significant transfer activity.

Since they left, Lallana, Lovren, Clyne etc. have won the same amount of trophies as we have.

And of course we comprehensively deprived them of a little bit of silverware last season. They couldn't score against us in 4 games in which we made them look bang average, which they were in most games when their ex Saints players were not playing. Still VVD wants to go there because they are in the Champions league (allegedly). They might only play 1 round and there is no guarantee he would play especially given his state of fitness or do the players choose which games they play at wonderful Liverpool. In future seasons given the strength of Utd, City and Chelsea there is only a 33% chance they will qualify as they fight out 4th place with Spurs and Arsenal, and with Everton improving the odds on qualifying are lengthening further.

Why would you go there?

And of course we comprehensively deprived them of a little bit of silverware last season. They couldn't score against us in 4 games in which we made them look bang average, which they were in most games when their ex Saints players were not playing. Still VVD wants to go there because they are in the Champions league (allegedly). They might only play 1 round and there is no guarantee he would play especially given his state of fitness or do the players choose which games they play at wonderful Liverpool. In future seasons given the strength of Utd, City and Chelsea there is only a 33% chance they will qualify as they fight out 4th place with Spurs and Arsenal, and with Everton improving the odds on qualifying are lengthening further.

Why would you go there?

Money money money

And he knows that Holland have a very slim chance of being at the World Cup and even if they did he would not be match fit after spending a season training on his own [emoji6]

I disagree. Historically, yes. They were giants of world football and we weren't even on the map. Even back when Lawrie Mac was here. But now. No, they're not one of the top 4. Their fans by and large know it and know they don't have the money that the likes of Man City and Chelski have, but they do pay high wages and, from what I can gather, aren't really a profitable organisation for their owners. The talk has moved from big 4, to 6, to 7 just to accommodate them and Everton who are also-rans compared to e.g. Man Utd. Even if they do have a bit of success it's not going to catapault them back up to where they were and I doubt they'll ever get that far. Their 'Koch', sorry, 'coach' flatters to deceive and succeeds in deceiving the one-eyed among them but they aren't anything other than a busted flush now. If they were any good, they'd have been contesting that final earlier this year that we did and they'd have won it as Man U weren't and aren't really that good either.

Ignore their history, that's what keeps them popular in SE Asia: because those places can't quite move with the times (and are stuck in the past) and all become City supporters.

I disagree. Historically, yes. They were giants of world football and we weren't even on the map. Even back when Lawrie Mac was here. But now. No, they're not one of the top 4. Their fans by and large know it and know they don't have the money that the likes of Man City and Chelski have, but they do pay high wages and, from what I can gather, aren't really a profitable organisation for their owners. The talk has moved from big 4, to 6, to 7 just to accommodate them and Everton who are also-rans compared to e.g. Man Utd. Even if they do have a bit of success it's not going to catapault them back up to where they were and I doubt they'll ever get that far. Their 'Koch', sorry, 'coach' flatters to deceive and succeeds in deceiving the one-eyed among them but they aren't anything other than a busted flush now. If they were any good, they'd have been contesting that final earlier this year that we did and they'd have won it as Man U weren't and aren't really that good either.

Ignore their history, that's what keeps them popular in SE Asia: because those places can't quite move with the times (and are stuck in the past) and all become City supporters.

either way, they are a huuuge step up from us

most of our best players over recent years cant wait to move there

he's been at those 'funny dutch cakes' again:smug:

IIRC Liverpool are playing Hoffenheim who also finished fourth in the Bundesliga, so I'd reckon they are 50/50 for being the Champions League. Nor are they really regulars in it and you wouldn't get that great odds on them getting back in this season considering they only just finished 4th and that was with no european football. So not sure he can say he's leaving for champions league football.

Their last 10 finishes are 4th, 8th, 6th, 2nd, 7th, 8th, 6th, 7th, 2nd. Champions league three times in 10 years (and that is saying they qualify this year) so hardly a Champions league club.

If we are going all fantasy football 25 million plus Kante and Hazard.

How is it fantasy football? Both those players are surplus to requirements at Chelsea and I believe Christensen has been listed as a make weight in other deals, plus both are young talented players who aren't getting game time at a bigger club, worked out all right with Bertrand and Romeu.

How is it fantasy football? Both those players are surplus to requirements at Chelsea and I believe Christensen has been listed as a make weight in other deals, plus both are young talented players who aren't getting game time at a bigger club, worked out all right with Bertrand and Romeu.

£50m + Christensen would be a decent deal for all parties.

How many deals are made up with player swaps? It just doesn't happen these days apart from the in the imagination of the press and football fans.

How many deals are made up with player swaps? It just doesn't happen these days apart from the in the imagination of the press and football fans.

defoe / grabban

Pickford / Galloway + browning

Lukaku / rooney

Robertson / Stewart

Yarney / Gibson

so far this summer. nowadays it still happens, but the deals are organised and presented separately.

This. Contracted players have to agree to join other clubs, they can't just be traded. With that said, Christensen would be a fantastic signing and as good as we could hope for as a VVD replacement. After 2 good seasons in the bundesliga he'd cost proper money though - Chelsea refused a 20m euro offer a couple of years ago.

defoe / grabban

Pickford / Galloway + browning

Lukaku / rooney

Robertson / Stewart

Yarney / Gibson

so far this summer. nowadays it still happens, but the deals are organised and presented separately.

So any transfers/loans involving the same clubs, even if they are weeks and weeks apart, are all lumped in as being swap deals? Okay then.