Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

If an anyone but Liverpool bid is available I'd be surprised if the club didn't take it as a solution to the problem while also showing players and the big clubs that a club making an illegal approach to one of our players will not get to sign him. It's entirely up to the club what figure they will take for Van Dijk and makes little sense for fans to think they know better than the club management as to what deal can be done. If it happens, we should just hope that it is enough to improve the squad before the window closes.

Assuming we refuse to sell to Liverpool, and he refuses to play for us, and Chelsea make an acceptable offer he ain't got much choice.

Agree. His choice will be to move to a club that want to sign him and that Southampton is willing to deal with or to see his career slip away without first team football for as long as he remains stubborn. As for Liverpool, Van Dijk shouldn't know whether he is still wanted by them or not. Their last stated position was that they had ended any interest in the player. If Liverpool have been in touch with him since then, directly or through his agent, that would be a further illegal approach and would presumably result in sanctions against them.

If it's Chelsea or City VVD goes to I could suck it up. But it needs to be done quick so we can reinvest the cash in the squad.
We all know they will only invest a very small portion of the sale, we will be very lucky if we get a couple of 10 million players in.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

We all know they will only invest a very small portion of the sale, we will be very lucky if we get a couple of 10 million players in.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

The cost isn't an issue for me as long as they are good and fill the weaknesses in the squad. We need better players in midfield for example if they only cost 10million happy days.

Edited by doddisalegend

Why would he not want to go to Chelsea. Any decent player would.

This is the thing, we don't know what incentives were offered to him and/or his agent at that secret meeting. They could have said if they stick it out and said Liverpool was his only choice their bank balances would get a boost. Which would mean VD and Wassermans have the last word, and not us.

This is the thing, we don't know what incentives were offered to him and/or his agent at that secret meeting. They could have said if they stick it out and said Liverpool was his only choice their bank balances would get a boost. Which would mean VD and Wassermans have the last word, and not us.

Well perhaps, but for me Chelsea are going to have a great season this year and any player would want to be part of it, even if they could get a few bob more at Liverpool.

I get the impression, though I wasn't against the guy, that Puel wouldn't be able to stand up to VVD as much as MP seems to be doing.

I have the feeling like Puel would defer to Les on these matters and take a back seat. MP seems to be taking more responsibility for this and taking more of a stance on it, including managing VVD himself.

Good sign in my opinion.

I doubt that Liverpool will have the last word if that is against our wishes. We are not forced to sell even if Virgil insists that he only wants to sign for Liverpool, and probably in view of the way that they went about tapping him up, we ought to refuse to sell him to them under any circumstances anyway. It is less than a month until the transfer window slams shut so we should stand firm and leave Liverpool and Wassermans with egg all over their faces having learned that we are not a soft touch. If they have not signed a replacement CB by then, more fool them. If they have signed somebody else, then Virgil will realise that his hopes of going there even in January are diminished. I would hope that Wassermans would then advise him to buckle down at Southampton for fear of diminishing his value to other clubs, and his agent should look to sell him further down the line to a bigger club than the Scousers.

I get the impression, though I wasn't against the guy, that Puel wouldn't be able to stand up to VVD as much as MP seems to be doing.

I have the feeling like Puel would defer to Les on these matters and take a back seat. MP seems to be taking more responsibility for this and taking more of a stance on it, including managing VVD himself.

Good sign in my opinion.

FFS

If Puel was still manager people would be saying that's the reason VvD is "on strike" . If a player was refusing to play for Puel, nobody would be saying he'd handled it well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As has been said before, if he's to go, make him put in a transfer request. The final insult to our club, would be having to pay him 'loyalty' bonuses!

Exactly, I daresay he'll get his new club to take up the slack and he or his agent does not lose out financially.

I'd also want a hefty sell-on deal.

If it is Chelsea, maybe get a player or two at an advantageous price.

Why would he not want to go to Chelsea. Any decent player would.[/quote

Is Virgil decent? Seems to be a bit of a **** from what I see. It has been said he only wants to play for Liverpool. I would go to Chelsea, but maybe he doesn't, perhaps he doesn't like Conte or maybe he doesn't like their way of playing, don't know. But seems a very simplistic view that he would agree to go to any club that makes an offer, the real world of football isn't like that.

Why would he not want to go to Chelsea. Any decent player would.[/quote

Is Virgil decent? Seems to be a bit of a **** from what I see. It has been said he only wants to play for Liverpool. I would go to Chelsea, but maybe he doesn't, perhaps he doesn't like Conte or maybe he doesn't like their way of playing, don't know. But seems a very simplistic view that he would agree to go to any club that makes an offer, the real world of football isn't like that.

It is actually really simple - the most money wins

FFS

If Puel was still manager people would be saying that's the reason VvD is "on strike" . If a player was refusing to play for Puel, nobody would be saying he'd handled it well.

It's not the fact he's on strike mate. Noone can prevent that. I doubt Koeman or Pocchetino could have.

It's about the reaction to it. Puel just didn't seem the kind of guy to take a hard line and stand up to these players.

Just a feeling - got nothing concrete to go on. But the way MP has conducted himself in pressers and club statements makes me think he's not going to be messed around. If the player wants to go, he doesn't even come on training camp. That's a pretty big call.

I actually liked Puel and was sad to see him go. But this situation has made me think about how he would have handled it.

Sell to Chelsea put a end to this circus show, get him gone and start to strengthen.

Could we realistically say 40 million plus 3 youth talents?

I.e baker, loftus cheek

I'm puzzled why people keep suggesting swap deals, they are very rare!

Even rarer when it is 4 players in the same deal! (can you name any time that has ever happened?)

Plus... Loftus-Cheek is at Crystal Palace...

Ruben-Loftus-Cheek-633150.jpg

If we sell him for 50m to Chelsea and a couple of solid young players of the likes of Christensen, I'll be very happy. I think that would be excellent business.

What we do with that 50m is still a question but Chelsea has a good pool of promising players. Lewis Baker, Jeremie Boga. All would be nice additions.

I'm puzzled why people keep suggesting swap deals, they are very rare!

Even rarer when it is 4 players in the same deal! (can you name any time that has ever happened?)

Plus... Loftus-Cheek is at Crystal Palace...

They are not that rare, just that they are now officially listed as separate deals because of the complexity of having more than one player in each deal. Lukaku and Rooney was a cash plus player swap, even if officially they were just two separate deals.

But the last thing we need is filling the squad up with mediocrity, we already have enough of that. The only realistic player I would want from Chelsea is Christensen, in fact I would even be open to the possibility of selling Van Dijk if it meant getting Christensen. Say Van Dijk to Chelsea for 50m with Christensen being sold to us for 5m, knocking about 20m off each player's valuation.

They are not that rare, just that they are now officially listed as separate deals because of the complexity of having more than one player in each deal. Lukaku and Rooney was a cash plus player swap, even if officially they were just two separate deals.

But the last thing we need is filling the squad up with mediocrity, we already have enough of that. The only realistic player I would want from Chelsea is Christensen, in fact I would even be open to the possibility of selling Van Dijk if it meant getting Christensen. Say Van Dijk to Chelsea for 50m with Christensen being sold to us for 5m, knocking about 20m off each player's valuation.

if they are not rare. give us a load of examples

cheers

They are not incentives at this point as they had no right talking to the player. They are bribes.

Be careful those who want to do a deal with Chelski.

If we change the "status" of the player from "Not For Sale" we INVITE the bin dippers back in. As I understand it they cannot make an offer for him in this window while the our stance remains the same, if we change it they can.

It is interesting that the amount in the papers is the exact amount that the bin dippers want to pay and not the £75m we value him at.

IMO this all smacks of desperation from the Agent, who come 1st Sept may well be out of a job, or will struggle to get more clients if things stay the same.

Be careful those who want to do a deal with Chelski.

If we change the "status" of the player from "Not For Sale" we INVITE the bin dippers back in. As I understand it they cannot make an offer for him in this window while the our stance remains the same, if we change it they can.

It is interesting that the amount in the papers is the exact amount that the bin dippers want to pay and not the £75m we value him at.

IMO this all smacks of desperation from the Agent, who come 1st Sept may well be out of a job, or will struggle to get more clients if things stay the same.

Irrelevant.

If we don't want to sell to Liverpool, we don't have to regardless of if and how much they bid.

How do you work that out???

Secret meetings don't own contracts - Saints do. We have the last word on who or if we sell to.

If I were VVD I'd wait until the dippers actually make it to the group stage given their tricky qualifier v Hoffenheim. It would be absolute hilarious if they c*cked up and he then back pedalled on his desire only to move up there.

That has fu_ck all to do with VVD wanting out and only an utter moron would think it does.

VVD, for all his faults, wants to play for a "big" club on the biggest stage. I would consider that normal for a player, though why pick the dippers is beyond me when he could have his pick of the big clubs.

How he's gone about it, and most of the sh_it in the press comes directly from VVDs agent and PR team, marks him out as a ****, but he's a talented ****.

I still think he'll stay though. The club cannot afford to back down.

Ignoring your inability to comment without an insult . Someone with ITK info has said that VVD has commented on the lack of quality signings .

I look forward to your usual bitter insults and jibes [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

If I were VVD I'd wait until the dippers actually make it to the group stage given their tricky qualifier v Hoffenheim. It would be absolute hilarious if they c*cked up and he then back pedalled on his desire only to move up there.

If Champions League football was his key motivation he would have stayed at Celtic rather than joining us. Money is the motivation and Liverpool could offer him huge wages regardless of them being in the group stages or not.

If we sell now, why not just sell in May or early June and avoid the whole start to the season being overshadowed, plus having sub standard CB partnerships in the winnable first few games?

Would make little sense, hence having never sold a key player in August.

Don't really see that the identify of the buyer changes that.

FFS

that he has no interest

It's crystal clear it has nothing to do with what you suggest., it's 100% that he has no interest playing at a club that is run by Chinese or dodgy owners.

This, and this alobe is what has changed since he signed the new 5 year deal.

When will people realise we can only sell if someone has made an offer at the level of what we value the player. We have little control on what month that offer may be forthcoming.

I would of loved us to of sold him for £75 million 2 months ago so that we can cut all this crap out but if nobody has bid then how can we sell him.

It's crystal clear it has nothing to do with what you suggest., it's 100% that he has no interest playing at a club that is run by Chinese or dodgy owners.

This, and this alobe is what has changed since he signed the new 5 year deal.

But he's quite happy to play for a club that is well run by honourable and responsible owners.

You know, the ones who stated publicly on the record that they accepted being caught with their trousers around their ankles and were consequently ending heir interest in him.

Or alternatively, he is happy to play for a club run by Middle Eastern despots, or by that Mr Abramovic, who is completely above reproach.

He's about as interested in the ownership of a club he plays for as most people are about where their shirts are made or where the coffee in their cup comes from.

He is no different from any other footballer who judges a club's owner simply on his ability to deposit a six-figure sum in his bank account at the end of ever week.

Ignoring your inability to comment without an insult . Someone with ITK info has said that VVD has commented on the lack of quality signings .

I look forward to your usual bitter insults and jibes [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Which is just the usual crap players and their agents spout to justify moves, along with Europe, winning things and playing for a particular manger when in truth they normally just want to go were they (and more importantly their agent) can get the most dosh. We could have just signed Neymar and VVD wouldn't give a flying **** because he will pocket a loyalty bonus, a signing on fee and a higher weekly wage by going to Liverpool.

If we sell now, why not just sell in May or early June and avoid the whole start to the season being overshadowed, plus having sub standard CB partnerships in the winnable first few games?

Would make little sense, hence having never sold a key player in August.

Don't really see that the identify of the buyer changes that.

I have no doubt you would have reacted with overwhelming positivity if we had sold Virgil on May 25th for £60m to Liverpool.

Well done Saints on acting so decisively you'd say. Well done on making sure our start to the season isn't overshadowed you'd say. Well done Saints and well done Les on doing the right thing. Well done on doing the thing that makes lots of sense and well done on not doing something that makes little sense. That's definitely what you would have said, right? Right?

Which is just the usual crap players and their agents spout to justify moves, along with Europe, winning things and playing for a particular manger when in truth they normally just want to go were they (and more importantly their agent) can get the most dosh. We could have just signed Neymar and VVD wouldn't give a flying **** because he will pocket a loyalty bonus, a signing on fee and a higher weekly wage by going to Liverpool.

Lallana only went to Liverpool because he phoned Les Reed and Les didn't reply and Adam was upset.

Lallana only went to Liverpool because he phoned Les Reed and Les didn't reply and Adam was upset.

That and the fact he was a little turn faced c*nt and had been since the season we were relegated from the championship to league one.

I have no doubt you would have reacted with overwhelming positivity if we had sold Virgil on May 25th for £60m to Liverpool.

Well done Saints on acting so decisively you'd say. Well done on making sure our start to the season isn't overshadowed you'd say. Well done Saints and well done Les on doing the right thing. Well done on doing the thing that makes lots of sense and well done on not doing something that makes little sense. That's definitely what you would have said, right? Right?

:lol:

I'm pretty sure Charlie was rightly impressed when we sold Mane early last summer...

Every flipping year, we have a transfer overshadowing the start/end of the season. Shoddy behaviour from our board and continues to make us look second rate.

What should we have done then? So many experts on here who should be working for Premier League clubs seemingly.

Every flipping year, we have a transfer overshadowing the start/end of the season. Shoddy behaviour from our board and continues to make us look second rate.

Please elaborate on the "shoddy" part of their behaviour as there is nothing shoddy about the stance on VVD...

Have the club not stated he is not for sale? What more could they have done to stop the dippers interest and halt the almost daily stories in the press?

I think this egg has a slightly fishy taste.

I really don't like the idea of VVD and his agent being rewarded for acting like complete knobs. I also don't like the idea of the board backing down after taking such a public stance against the move. Unless Pellegrino regards the situation as unfixable, VVD should stay another year, and as he watches the Champions League on the telly, he can contemplate how his agent and Liverpool arsed up this whole process for him.

Please elaborate on the "shoddy" part of their behaviour as there is nothing shoddy about the stance on VVD...

we have known VVD will be leaving this transfer season since the turn of the year, why drag it out like they have been doing so. Surely it would have been better to let him go on the 1st of June & invested the transfer fee wisely instead of buying a 2nd rate polish cb, and then panicking at the end of August when VVD finally leaves and buying some chump from Colchester claiming he's the ideal replacement, like I expect us to do so.

we have known VVD will be leaving this transfer season since the turn of the year, why drag it out like they have been doing so. Surely it would have been better to let him go on the 1st of June & invested the transfer fee wisely instead of buying a 2nd rate polish cb, and then panicking at the end of August when VVD finally leaves and buying some chump from Colchester claiming he's the ideal replacement, like I expect us to do so.

Who is this Chump from Colchester? Is he any good?