Virgil Transfer Rumours - Summer 17

wild-saint

Don't get why anyone is surprised?

It's been in the press and certain people have mentioned this for weeks. I think deep down everyone knew it was coming, but everyone was just hoping it wasn't Liverpool.

It's just a question of who Liverpool will take next year...? I'm gonna go for Romeu (if form continues) or Gabbi.

and i'd want it all up front not the usual liverpool way of instalments plus complex appearance fee add ons

yes, be very interesting to know just how much Liverpool still owe us. No doubt they will be happy to put VVD on the tab as well :(

It's been in the press and certain people have mentioned this for weeks. I think deep down everyone knew it was coming, but everyone was just hoping it wasn't Liverpool.

It's just a question of who Liverpool will take next year...? I'm gonna go for Romeu (if form continues) or Gabbi.

But we don't have to sell him to Liverpool why can't we show some backbone for a change. 70 m or refuse to talk if vvd wants to be a baby about it let him kick it with the youth for a couple of seasons. He's on a five year deal and we could still get a large some in a couple of years when he backs down.

I can't see Saints offering Sakho the kind of salary he's become used to at Liverpool.

Liverpool are probably so desperate for VvD, we could probably get them to supplement his wages.

It's just posturing. Les & Ralph probably take turns every year. We just say that stuff to ensure we get top dollar.

I have no idea. People need to make a mental note of a typical summer for us, and then know it will happen the following season.

It's the same every year.

Ralph, though, has been raising expectations:

So 18 players having more than three years, gives us control over the summer for the first time...We will decide if anybody goes and we will decide who comes in, in the best interests of the club. We do not need to sell any player for the first time since I've been here...I think that we're moving into a new era at Southampton Football Club after three-and-a-half years of building this foundation of depth...We now need to consolidate. We're going to do everything possible to keep the core in place because the one thing that has been lacking here is developing synergies within the squad because of the change...I think that's one of the reasons we would like to keep the core in place to give the synergies an opportunity, and we are extremely hungry to push back into Europe next year. It is our obsession.

But we don't have to sell him to Liverpool why can't we show some backbone for a change. 70 m or refuse to talk if vvd wants to be a baby about it let him kick it with the youth for a couple of seasons. He's on a five year deal and we could still get a large some in a couple of years when he backs down.

The player has chosen Liverpool, that's why we have to sell him to Liverpool.

Are you honestly suggesting we essentially throw away £50-£70m (+wages which must be c£80-£100k a week)? Absolute ridiculous statement, and you really need to take off your saints hat and actually think about it.

It's fustrating, it's pathetic, it's quite embarrassing, but it's what we do. Get used to it.

The only way things will change is by good recruitment and breaking into the top 4. Then we'll have baca &a real trying to nab our players....

If we get 50m cash plus Salvo and also sign Samedo I would suggest we would be stronger overall in defence than right now with about 35m profit. If however we spend 15m on Samedo and keep VVD for one more season we will be stronger still in CB area but effectively 50m worse on the balance sheet.

Personally I would like the 2nd option with the expectation of 60m next summer for VVD.

These are the decisions Reed is paid the big money for.....

I'm late to the party, but noticed this from the clued-in Paul Joyce earlier:

@_pauljoyce: Liverpool will now attempt to negotiate what will be a world record deal for a defender with Southampton. Fee could reach around £60m.

I love how Liverpool openly brief the media about the sheer size of the fee, and then will media brief how low it is once it's done :)

If we get 50m cash plus Salvo and also sign Samedo I would suggest we would be stronger overall in defence than right now with about 35m profit. If however we spend 15m on Samedo and keep VVD for one more season we will be stronger still in CB area but effectively 50m worse on the balance sheet.

Personally I would like the 2nd option with the expectation of 60m next summer for VVD.

Assume that is supposed to say Sakho, but a decent, sensible post.

We'd be foolish to turn £60m down, a club of our size just cannot afford to do so, so Liverpool now either stump up the cash or VVD has to go else where.

Funny how our ex players never hack it at the really big clubs or get bought by them. Utd, Citeh or Chelsea. All you have to do is look to Shaw, Chambers and Schneiderlin. Liverpool are a step up for VVD but not the top step. All our sales thus far have either reached their level with with Liverpool, Clyde, Lallana and Lovren, or could conceivably be sold on to a stellar club like Mane or VVD if he goes. If that doesn't happen to one or either they won't have fulfilled their potential shown at Saints. #laughingallthewaytothebank

It's not Wilson, but according to the Telegraph VVD has not yet asked for a move, and Liverpool have not yet tabled a bid. A deal "is not close and will require some tough negotiating"...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/06/05/virgil-van-dijk-wants-move-liverpool-summer/

Bascombe is ex-Liverpool Echo & is the Liverpool version of Wilson.

Choosing Liverpool over City and especially Chelsea feels completely insane to me. Why go to a second tier elite club when he could go to a real one?

And selling yet another player to Liverpool is something of a gut punch to Saints fans yet again but not a surprising one.

Oh well, we have a fine record on recruiting centre backs so here we go again.

Funny how our ex players never hack it at the really big clubs or get bought by them. Utd, Citeh or Chelsea. All you have to do is look to Shaw, Chambers and Schneiderlin. Liverpool are a step up for VVD but not the top step. All our sales thus far have either reached their level with with Liverpool, Clyde, Lallana and Lovren, or could conceivably be sold on to a stellar club like Mane or VVD if he goes. If that doesn't happen to one or either they won't have fulfilled their potential shown at Saints. #laughingallthewaytothebank

9e3df2393f45536d460cb5f53cfe7a30.jpg

It's certainly an opportunity to improve our depth at CB...but selling to Liverpool EVERY summer is tedious and embarrassing. I'd like to see us tell them to take a flying leap for once and also file a tapping up complaint if this contact with Klopp was unauthorized.

It's not Wilson, but according to the Telegraph VVD has not yet asked for a move, and Liverpool have not yet tabled a bid. A deal "is not close and will require some tough negotiating"...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/06/05/virgil-van-dijk-wants-move-liverpool-summer/

So basically the deals done they just have to let us know they are buying him and how much they will pay us for him , So glad I never renewed our season tickets this time around its quite liberating!

Anyway if he does move to Liverpool it was obviously only Maya and Jose making him look good he's rubbish for Holland!

Choosing Liverpool over City and especially Chelsea feels completely insane to me. Why go to a second tier elite club when he could go to a real one?

And selling yet another player to Liverpool is something of a gut punch to Saints fans yet again but not a surprising one.

Oh well, we have a fine record on recruiting centre backs so here we go again.

As long as Les doesn't go leftfield and do a Caulker.

Seriously, going to be massive hole to fill. However good the replacement is (no guarantees), hard to see how it won't be a real downgrade on VVD.

Seriously, going to be massive hole to fill. However good the replacement is (no guarantees), hard to see how it won't be a real downgrade on VVD.

Caulker & Taider are 2 of our summer stunners.

That's true but if we can strengthen other areas it won't matter so much. If we got a mane equivalent, a cm, Tadic replacement and a slight cb downgrade then I wouldn't really mind.

With VVD it did feel like we'd hit peak CB but Toby felt pretty irreplaceable too.

I'd like to think we are replacing both VVD and Gardos/Fonte to give us four front line CBs so that gives us two goes to get it right - a £8m ish one and a £15m ish one who I would like to think is Samedo.

It will be disappointing if it is Liverpool. I'd Much rather city, Chelsea, United or Spurs even.. It would be nice for those plastic scousers to not believe they can automatically take any of our players they want..all season it's been "we are having Bertrand" "we are having Virgil," "I like Gabi we will have him next summer"....

I get we sell players but in this case..Liverpool can't be the only option surely? Perhaps if we string it out to late summer it may seem like we don't bend over backwards as soon as they call?

Worrying tho if we pocket 60m then Kat walks, who's to say any will get put back into team

In all the sales that the club make, it seems that Les is the one that Kops (!!) it, but it might well be Kat pulling the strings and demanding that it be done.

It will be disappointing if it is Liverpool. I'd Much rather city, Chelsea, United or Spurs even.. It would be nice for those plastic scousers to not believe they can automatically take any of our players they want..all season it's been "we are having Bertrand" "we are having Virgil," "I like Gabi we will have him next summer"....

I get we sell players but in this case..Liverpool can't be the only option surely? Perhaps if we string it out to late summer it may seem like we don't bend over backwards as soon as they call?

look at the bright side, if they are beating us by 6-0 next season at least we can sing" and its all scousehampton"

Lots of people doing false sums here - don't forget the bonus we need to pay VVD as he hasn't put a request in. Also the small matter of the sell on clause (25pc ?) due to Celtic. Then the signing on fee for the 'next VVD' plus agent fee - and suddenly that 50m is a lot smaller.... we should hold out for £70m - no reason why we shouldn't get it given the cash the interested parties have. If fit Sakho seems an obvious choice - then you can also gamble on Semodo and get rid of Gardos.

Lots of people doing false sums here - don't forget the bonus we need to pay VVD as he hasn't put a request in. Also the small matter of the sell on clause (25pc ?) due to Celtic. Then the signing on fee for the 'next VVD' plus agent fee - and suddenly that 50m is a lot smaller.... we should hold out for £70m - no reason why we shouldn't get it given the cash the interested parties have. If fit Sakho seems an obvious choice - then you can also gamble on Semodo and get rid of Gardos.

I love this place - it's full of 'facts and stats'. The sell on clause started at 10% was inflated to 20%, and now stands at 25%. Any advance on 25?

I love this place - it's full of 'facts and stats'. The sell on clause started at 10% was inflated to 20%, and now stands at 25%. Any advance on 25?

Adam Blackmore says its 20 per cent. so I'd probably trust that.