Crystal Palace 3 Saints 0 - Meltdown Thread

St Chalet

What purpose is served by your constant negativity, we are not going down so why harp on about it.

His real agenda is to promote all his "predictions" He claims he warned us all about this, that and whatever....The truth is he has been constantly wrong in almost everything he ever predicted. Troll, he is.

We don't setup right or have the correct attitude and game plan going into away games. Too negative. I think that actually the manager does have to take responsibility for our overall league away form although there is little he can legislate for absolute calamities like Forster served up. Although the writing has been on the wall for that cockup for a while, our keeper has not been himself all season although I've thought he has looked much better in last couple of games. Romeu had an off day which led to us being overloaded in midfield.

Redmond is a liability in attack - almost pointless. Austin can score, but we don't play in a style that suits him most of the time. Our defence is generally great, but it relies on the three in front the defence being able to stop an attack drilling balls into the 6 yard area - put Forster under any kind of pressure and he's a statue. JWP - I want to like him, but for an attacking midfielder his range of passing and assist rate is L1 standard. When do we ever pose a threat at set-plays? Disappointing performance but mostly hacked off that old errors and squad issues have not been addressed by the club. Lastly we really need a quality Fonte replacement - he is also a liability now and we need better.

**** me this is a melt down , has everyone forgot about our last two games already?

Its not a meltdown mate, it's people being ****ing angry that we lost this one. If the team had looked a bit more up for it and were playing well then it would be fair play to Palace. We gifted them it as we have done to a few teams this season and that is the source of many peoples annoyance. Beating Arsenal and Everton means **** all when we go 2 steps in the opposite direction against the likes of Hull, Palace and Sparta Prague. We clearly are capable as we have seen it at home so why aren't we seeing it consistently. Theres no point singling out individuals because our team quality is what is shifting game by game, even Van Dijk didn't look anything special today.

Redmond hangs about on the edge of things looking pretty on the ball but providing absolutely nothing up front. Puel seems to have a blind spot where he is concerned. Boufal looks clever but again nothing of real substance. Attitude looks poor at times. Austin virtually playing up front on his own feeding off scraps. It was just a matter of time until a Fonte pass to the keeper ended up in the net. Forster was pathetic in dealing with it but Fonte needs to put his foot through the ball instead of the incessant back passing. The attack was lightweight it's about time Austin played up front with Long and maybe Sims. If Boufal or Redmond are to play, then it has to be with two strikers they are no threat at present. Maybe back to 4-2-3-1 with Boufal, Austin,Sims with Long in front and Romeu and Hojbjerg holding.

Until the Fonte / Forster aberration we were in no bother in defence then conceding again in three minutes was more due to the lift CP got with the shock goal. The third goal was probably predictable.

Edited by derry

There's no doubt that such a horrendous error as Forster made really unsettles a side.

Apart from that, it's concerning that our "Premier League team" now looks significantly weak and toothless compared even with the EFL Cup team.

Fonte is probably behind Yoshida now. Sims better than Redmond. McQueen deserves a place in a "first team". And how we need a fit Tadic back.

It's the striker situation that is most problematic. Boufal doesn't really fit the bill. Claude seriously needs to realise that Redmond certainly doesn't. JRod is a shadow of his former self. Charlie's goals have dried up and he doesn't offer much more. Long offers a lot of effort but can't score to save his life.

Not many other options, are there? We need a star to appear from the Academy or a signing.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

We lack the quality of previous seasons, sadly.

Not massively surprised, this season will be up and down with all the fixtures, rotation and watered down quality of the squad.

We'll obviously be average in the league but a good run in the cups would be good. Then spend big next summer in attempt to keep Virgil from defecting from us and have a proper go at the top 6-7 again..

2 steps forward 1 step back............... Funny old game!

Disapeared outside to put our festive lights up at 2-0, put the red and white ones up and came in for a brew and a warm up as the scores were being read out...... Oh dear!

We certainly are making hard work of this season.

2 steps forward and one back is about right IMO, and that is still going forward.

We have a new system now which involves rotating a squad. It has shown a mixed bag of results, but it is still early. We are still alive at the moment in all competitions.

Way too early for a meltdown in my opinion.

OK we lost. I'll get over it, kind of thought it might happen. League game sandwiched between two massive cup games. Anyway onwards we go to the next one. Me I'm off out this evening for a meal to celebrate my birthday last week. Not only is Mrs Winnersaint driving, she's paying as well. happy days!

Oh I forgot. I will be as cross as the next person if we stuff up on Thursday btw.

Whilst the precious little snowflakes stamp their feet the vast majority, whilst disappointed to lose, do not consider it the end of the world or a crisis.

I would suggest the snowflakes wander off to their safe space until mummy comes along to tell them it's all going to be better soon.

Stop it - you are triggering me!

Whilst the precious little snowflakes stamp their feet the vast majority, whilst disappointed to lose, do not consider it the end of the world or a crisis.

I would suggest the snowflakes wander off to their safe space until mummy comes along to tell them it's all going to be better soon.

Lol you smug ****. Hows the ivory tower? People are allowed to vent their frustrations, its only the usual dickheads who are saying its a crisis like they have been every match for past 4 years. But at the same time there is clearly a problem with our away form and lack in attack that needs to be addressed and maybe even (shock horror) discussed on a footy discussion forum. Now why don't you go look in a mirror and continue polishing yourself off for being so super amazingly better than everyone else on here. :toppa:

Agree. Tis easy for some to lose perspective on what is important in life. I'm off to FB to vent frustration at this place without the floating dustbin, Heisenp-r-i-c-k et al to irritate.

Edited by Winnersaint

A poor performance overall but the destiny of the match turned on Fraser's c o c k up. Who knows how the game would have gone had that not happened.

Anyway, looking at the positives...

- we're still only 3 points behind 6th place (OK, possibly 5 or 6 points if either Man Utd or Everton get a win at Goodison tomorrow)

- we've played 14 league games and are only 7 points away from where we were after 20 games last season, so win 2 and draw 1 of the next 6 games and we'll be in the same position as last season at the turn of the year.

- we often have a good game after a naff one, which bodes well for the Europa League game on Thursday

- In the semi-final of the League Cup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ

A poor performance overall but the destiny of the match turned on Fraser's c o c k up. Who knows how the game would have gone had that not happened.

Anyway, looking at the positives...

- we're still only 3 points behind 6th place (OK, possibly 5 or 6 points if either Man Utd or Everton get a win at Goodison tomorrow)

- we've played 14 games are only 7 points away from where we were after 20 games last season, so win 2 and draw 1 of the next 6 games and we'll be in the same position as last season at the turn of the year.

- we often have a good game after a naff one, which bodes well for the Europa League game on Thursday

- In the semi-final of the League Cup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ

This, plenty of time for us to get it all under control.

Get over yourself. The facts say we had 18 shots with 4 blocked, 3 on target, and 1 that hit the woodwork.

We had more possession [58%], more accurate passes than Palarse and a higher pass success rate.

Yes we lost. That was in large measure down to Forster's mistake.

Now cheer up and focus on the next game.

All that shows is that we huffed and puffed, went sideways and backwards, ran down blind alleys in wide positions, and blasted inaccurately from too far out. Check out the stats from the Arse game, they had far more posession, shots, etc. There are only 2 statistics that count this evening, 0 goals scored and 0 points accrued.

Was it just me or did others just get the feeling that ball was going to find a way into our net whatever? We were the better footballing team by a margin. I'm normally angry but just had a feeling about this game even before that ridiculous first goal. Positive? - nobody upstairs can possibly deny that we need to buy some proven goal scorers in January - and I mean more than one.

What the hell do you know about snowflakes!? Posts like these make me sick. They are Princesses! Are you blind to what is going on with them!!! It's blithering idiots like you, constantly using the wrong selection of terminology that will get this forum relegated!

Yeah, I got lambasted on the match thread for daring to suggest that.......Oh well. :(

**** happens. Wish we'd seen a little more composure from players who we know are good enough to deal with it, but onwards to the next game. Better we got a slap in the face now than on Thursday.

Our problem is that we are at the moment too inconsistent. But we will find our form and we'll be OK this season.

People who genuinely think that we will get relegated or that we will be in some sort of relegation battle are utterly deluded.

I think the opposite, we are very consistent. We play the same way each game, in most have good possession and look tidy on the ball. We just don't score enough goals.

The Everton game was the same as this one without the glaring errors in defence. The problem is if the opposition get in front we seem done for!

Ps I don't think we will be in a relegation battle.

There's no doubt that such a horrendous error as Forster made really unsettles a side.

Apart from that, it's concerning that our "Premier League team" now looks significantly weak and toothless compared even with the EFL Cup team.

Fonte is probably behind Yoshida now. Sims better than Redmond. McQueen deserves a place in a "first team". And how we need a fit Tadic back.

It's the striker situation that is most problematic. Boufal doesn't really fit the bill. Claude seriously needs to realise that Redmond certainly doesn't. JRod is a shadow of his former self. Charlie's goals have dried up and he doesn't offer much more. Long offers a lot of effort but can't score to save his life.

Not many other options, are there? We need a star to appear from the Academy or a signing.

Now that is a well balanced post devoid of agenda. Excellent. We definitely need to dip into the market for a striker.

Lol you smug ****. Hows the ivory tower? People are allowed to vent their frustrations,

I get enormously frustrated at the match threads when they get taken over by total dinlows that cant keep on the topic of the match being played and make the same old posts over and over again trying to keep themselves relevant in their own minds.

These people offer nothing new to the thread. Everymatch is different, but their posts always seem to be the same. Week in, week out, the same old crap regardless of the game they pretend to be watching. No content, no observation and no intelligence.

Frustration vented, thanks.

I'm repeating myself from the other thread, but the difference really is Long. He had 10 goals last year and 0 so far this one. Austin is ahead of Pelle's pace and should get to 15 or so, and Redmond/Boufal are more or less on Mane's pace. We really need to get Long going because I don't see any other way (through other current players or acquisition) to cover his goals. I'd play Long/Austin/Redmond up front exclusively and let them go, hopefully with extended time with those guys Long can get in form. Put Boufal in at midfield and pray for goals.

With constant rotation we are going to get games like this where we look really poor. I firmly believe matters are not helped by us setting up wrong for away matches. Against Arsenal with no Charlie up front we had pace and movement and played very good football. He doesn't fit in and is better used off the bench in away matches. At home where we normally dominate he is fine but I think we lose something when he is one of the front three away from St Marys. We carved Arsenal open on numerous occasions and surely that is the style of play we need to adopt for away games.

I wonder if we've inadvertently done Palace a disservice by keeping Pardew there for longer. Didn't someone comment in the build-up forum that some Eagles fans wanted us to win so Pardew would leave?

I don't think this one victory for them will be a season-defining moment. They're still not very good. We were just worse today. That doesn't make us bad.

Maybe it will give them a false dawn, make them play worse and get relegated = one more team who will end up below us.

We just played badly this time (as well as some other times, eg. Hull). We've also played really well recently (eg. Arsenal, Everton).

We're still a good team.

Roll on Thursday.

There are bad days at the office. And then there are days when you arrive late to the office only to find out the company has gone into liquidation. You get home after having to stand for the whole journey because there were no seats on the train, which was delayed. On arrival at your front door you realise you've forgotten your keys. You've then scaled the conservatory and gone through the bathroom window, only to find your best mate hanging out the back of your wife.

PMSL at this. Very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get enormously frustrated at the match threads when they get taken over by total dinlows that cant keep on the topic of the match being played and make the same old posts over and over again trying to keep themselves relevant in their own minds.

These people offer nothing new to the thread. Everymatch is different, but their posts always seem to be the same. Week in, week out, the same old crap regardless of the game they pretend to be watching. No content, no observation and no intelligence.

Yeah fair enough but at the same time, sweeping statements that make you (not directly you, but as in people who make 'Im better than you' type comments) look like an arrogant asshat doesn't really have much content observation or intelligence either. Rising to it is just going to make trolls worse and give them a kick. However when it's clear we have been particularly **** there is naturally going to be some discussion and analysis of it just like when we win and it is a more positive discussion. So condemning everyone for having a negative opinion as being some lesser being is quite frankly just as bad as the regular WUMS.

Maybe it is just me but I find you guys just as bad as them. Don't really seem to say much about the game just bash people for their views. I am not going to be too critical here but I think people have a valid reason to be annoyed with that result and recent performances. We have scored only 13 goals this season. West Brom have 20! Bompey have more than us.... There are clearly issues within the team and its right to point the flaws out after terrible performances. If you put your head in the sand and ignore them they get worse. I am glad you are really happy with how our season is going and everything is all rosey even after a loss to a team who were in freefall. But please stop talking like those who don't agree are 'princesses' because they don't share your view. I thought it was only the few that looked at everything all rose tinted win or lose. Clearly I was wrong.

Sounds a bit prophetic FF. Not sure how to read that post! No more rotation cos we will be out of Europa? No more rotation because Puel will be gone? Or one of the above?! Do enlighten!

Christ, wasn't being that cryptic. No I just think while rotation grinds you out results and is a necessary evil it does not give you consistency which is what we are lacking. We need to field our best team in December.

Lol, your post before the Arsenal match.

Christ, wasn't being that cryptic. No I just think while rotation grinds you out results and is a necessary evil it does not give you consistency which is what we are lacking. We need to field our best team in December.

Ta. Wasn't a criticism; just hard to infer meaning from forum posts at times! Thanks for the clarification.

For me, it's Puel's system to an extent and the attacking nous to an extent. System is pretty, lots of possession but mostly too deep to hurt anyone. Secondly I agree that if you set up as an 'away' team to counter then Austin is most definitely not your best best. I'd play Long, Boufal and Tadic. We look very toothless and need loads of chances before we score. Other teams by and large are scoring with their chances, we are fluffing ours. We'd be a decent side if that could be resolved. At the moment I think the incessant matches and changes that result are causing the team to lack a bit of identity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With out current state of goal scoring, I don't see how you can take off Austin. He has twice as many goals as anyone else on the team, and is on track for 15+ goals. There are certainly other things he doesn't do as well as others, but if you are trying to get more scoring removing the only guy who is scoring as he should isn't the way I would approach it. Its not like when he is out we score goals all the time.