Puel out

Lastman73

Agree completely. As has been said many times before, under Puel a number of our previously strong performing players are below par - that is down to Puel. I struggle to see how a team as talented as we have can consistently play such turgid, blunt and disjointed football. We're very good at playing the ball around at the back but once it goes forward we are devoid of ideas. Frustratingly this is what we used to be so good at. Yesterday looked like we had taken a number of steps back, complete with players arguing with each other.

:mcinnes: Please read my posts again.

Which ones?

Tadic hasn't been any different the sublime to the ridiculous usually all in one match

Bertrand is still playing well

Cedric has improved

Yoshida has improved

JWP has improved

Steven Davis is still solid but unspectacular

Clasie is still ****

VVD has been even better this season than last

Romeu much better than last season

Forester has gone backwards

Long arguably has gone backwards but arguably last season was a one off for him

Jrod certainly no worse than last season

Austin better than last season but that's not saying much (as hardly played last season)

Cuco no different

The rest of the team are academy boys or new so pretty hard to judge if they have improved but I would say McQueen, Redmond and Stephens have all improved over the season Sims has looked decent enough Hoj and Boufal have got worse.

So who are all these previously strong performing players not doing it this season wouldn't be Mane, Pelle, Fonte and big Vic would it?

Good post. A mention about Long, who is the Puel-out mob's poster child of a player who has gone backwards. He thrived last year because he was playing a lot next to Mane. The two of them formed a great partnership (who wouldn't thrive next to Mane?) This season he is Laurel without Hardy (maybe not the best comparison, but you get my point).

And as I keep trying to say to the Puel-out mob, the whole team suffers without a goal-scorer on the pitch. It drags the whole team down knowing that they probably need to keep a clean sheet to have a chance of any result. Hence a lot of tentative sideways passing. And when we finally got Gabbi in, look at how the whole team dramatically improved. Playing Utd off the park at Wembley as one example. Two consecutive away games scoring 4 goals. If Puel had Gabbi and VVD available we'd be ripping a lot of teams a new one.

Agreed he should be judged on next seasons performances, somehow I just don't think puel has it in him to make us a regular top ten side let alone a top seven which we aspire to, gabbiadini or not we lack the belief, the players just don't seem to gel with him & he isn't getting the best out of the majority of the squad, hope he proves me wrong next season

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Is there anything anywhere to definitively say that he doesn't have the squad's trust or confidence?!

Is their a correlation between being a Puel Remainer and a Remainer? I suspect that their is. Interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a link to being called Adrian and being a bit of a sap?

Is their a correlation between being a Puel Remainer and a Remainer? I suspect that their is. Interesting.

I suspect there is also a link between the Puel-out brigade and an inability to distinguish between there, they're and their.

I suspect there is also a link between the Puel-out brigade and an inability to distinguish between there, they're and their.

Now that's much better. Well spotted. The perils of Tapatalk, autocorrect and Glenlivet combined are truly devilish.

The arguments about where the blame lies for us going backwards can ping back-and-forth. Its a complex equation this year...

We cant score goals for jack sh*t this year. For this I mainly blame J-Rod and Long, who are past their sell-by date and need to go, to some degree Tadic for whatever the hell is going through his head from minute-to-minute, and Reed for his Lowe-like approach of selling the family silver and replacing with players of lesser ability.

We are weak at the back, and it would be a lot worse without Romeu. Of course, that c**t Vardy contributed by crippling VVD, but see above comment regarding Reed. He let Fonte go without replacement. I also blame Forster for being utter crap this season.

Puel is not helping. He ****ed with squad off with his rotation, he clearly wanted to show Fonte who is boss, and his substitutions are woeful.

In conclusion, I would clear the dead wood out this summer, give Puel the funding to build the squad in his image, and then sit back and watch what happens. If he cant cut it by Xmas, I would replace him.

Be interesting to see an end of season poll on Puel

Think the last one was in favour of him going 55/45%?

EFL cup final perhaps bought him some patience and for some a new start. But we seem to have reverted to 2k16 Puel again and it seems clear that he can partially deliver with a full strength squad but struggles alot once one or two key players are out.

I'm still in the Puel OUT camp BTW

EFL cup final perhaps bought him some patience and for some a new start. But we seem to have reverted to 2k16 Puel again and it seems clear that he can partially deliver with a full strength squad but struggles alot once one or two key players are out.

I for one am shocked at this revelation.

All political polls showed Glasgow as being a strong Puel supporter but in the end we have really bucked the trend here in the lines of Brexit or Trump.

A true upset.

I'm in the Heisenberg out camp still BTW

Nonsense.

We have a very discernible pattern of play. Clearly evident to anyone who cares to actually watch the game.

What exactly is our pattern of play then? Seems to be pass up to midfield then pass sideways and then back to defence again, on rare occasions we get in the final third we resort to over elaborate tippy tappy rubbish

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

For me the league cup run and then final performance has bought CP some time. Our performances with a proper striker are also very encouraging. However, we have been pretty awful at times this season and very inconsistent. I want CP to get a proper summer, build the team how he wants to and hopefully wait for players like Boufal to come good.

I don't see how anyone can be in any sort of 'out' camp. He's had months, not even a full season.

I think it's fair for people to voice their opinions and concerns over things (not everything is rosy, and he could do things better), but for anyone to say he has to go it's just the sad way of thinking of the modern football fan.

When Markus first came here, he said he believed we were a top 10 premier league club and he wanted to get us there. That seemed like a pipe dream then, but that's exactly where we are right now. We're a middle of the table/Top10 club and given the amount of games we've had to cope with this year, I think we're doing just about right in the league. I know it's a common excuse, but there is no doubt in my mind that Thursday EL games impacted our first half of the season, clubs of similar size have had the same problem (Even Liverpool struggled last year with EL football).

Given the injuries we've had this year, the obscene amount of games and fixture pile ups, to have reached a Cup Final and be sitting in the Top 10 of the PL is actually a pretty good effort. I think we'll finish around 9th-10th on 48ish points, which will be a slight drop...but not as alarming as you'd think coming on here. Next season we can go again without the extra EL games and Sunday matches, I think we'll see a different picture.

I'd say our general pattern of play is to retain possession, keep the ball on the ground, play out from the back and tire the opposition by making them chase the ball. We look to create chances through low crosses and through balls. We have shown that we can also play on the break when parking the bus - EFL semi away - but this pattern is used much more rarely.

I'ts probably just as easy to say what we don't do - long ball, crosses onto the head of a forward (basically everything that Big Sam teams do :lol:)

The arguments about where the blame lies for us going backwards can ping back-and-forth. Its a complex equation this year...

We cant score goals for jack sh*t this year. For this I mainly blame J-Rod and Long, who are past their sell-by date and need to go, to some degree Tadic for whatever the hell is going through his head from minute-to-minute, and Reed for his Lowe-like approach of selling the family silver and replacing with players of lesser ability.

We are weak at the back, and it would be a lot worse without Romeu. Of course, that c**t Vardy contributed by crippling VVD, but see above comment regarding Reed. He let Fonte go without replacement. I also blame Forster for being utter crap this season.

Puel is not helping. He ****ed with squad off with his rotation, he clearly wanted to show Fonte who is boss, and his substitutions are woeful.

In conclusion, I would clear the dead wood out this summer, give Puel the funding to build the squad in his image, and then sit back and watch what happens. If he cant cut it by Xmas, I would replace him.

I usually have a lot of sympathy with Alpine's posts but can't agree with the criticism of Les Reed. Players agitate for a move when they know they can earn more money and win trophies elsewhere and their contract with Southampton can't prevent them leaving. If players were kept until contracts expired, the club would have no funds for replacements. We have sold some exceptionally expensive players for fees we could not have paid ourselves but replacement with full internationals such as Van Dijk, Bertrand, Gagbbiadini, Redmond, Boufal, etc. suggests we aren't shopping in the bargain basement. The reality is we can't spend £25-£50 million on one player as a handful of clubs can, which is the way things are in the Premier League. It's another matter to ask whether Claude is getting the best out of the talented players we have and I imagine Les Reed has that question constantly in mind. As long as Les thinks the answer to that is positive, Claude will be doing as well as can be expected the manager's position will be safe.

I'd say our general pattern of play is to retain possession, keep the ball on the ground, play out from the back and tire the opposition by making them chase the ball. We look to create chances through low crosses and through balls. We have shown that we can also play on the break when parking the bus - EFL semi away - but this pattern is used much more rarely.

I'ts probably just as easy to say what we don't do - long ball, crosses onto the head of a forward (basically everything that Big Sam teams do :lol:)

Highest number of crosses in the League?

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/total_cross?se=54

I don't see how anyone can be in any sort of 'out' camp. He's had months, not even a full season.

I think it's fair for people to voice their opinions and concerns over things (not everything is rosy, and he could do things better), but for anyone to say he has to go it's just the sad way of thinking of the modern football fan.

When Markus first came here, he said he believed we were a top 10 premier league club and he wanted to get us there. That seemed like a pipe dream then, but that's exactly where we are right now. We're a middle of the table/Top10 club and given the amount of games we've had to cope with this year, I think we're doing just about right in the league. I know it's a common excuse, but there is no doubt in my mind that Thursday EL games impacted our first half of the season, clubs of similar size have had the same problem (Even Liverpool struggled last year with EL football).

Given the injuries we've had this year, the obscene amount of games and fixture pile ups, to have reached a Cup Final and be sitting in the Top 10 of the PL is actually a pretty good effort. I think we'll finish around 9th-10th on 48ish points, which will be a slight drop...but not as alarming as you'd think coming on here. Next season we can go again without the extra EL games and Sunday matches, I think we'll see a different picture.

Spot on.

If he cant cut it by Xmas, I would replace him.
in the past you have said that results are all that matters, I don't know if that is still how you feel, but if it is, is there a specific number of points/league position you had in mind that would mean he is cutting it?

For me, it's the uninspiring football we have played for 85% of this season.

Lets face it, we've underachieved in the EL, underachieved in the FA cup, had 3 excellent and 1 good performances in EFL cup and have had a very in different season in PL.

Claude has been very unlucky with the injuries to VVD, Gabbi and Austin and I probably wouldn't get rid for the sake of it, unless someone else became available.

IMO Les made the wrong decision appointing him in the summer, personally I think we should have gone for Marco Silva, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

The cup final has brought him time, but if not much has changed by Christmas, I will be fully expecting Les to pull the trigger (not that I think he will).

Think Puel's future might be bit linked with the takeover. As things stand I can't see the club binning him off this summer, but if the china bros come in and want to show a bit of ambition, you know, that is the sort of thing new owners do. Bin off the manager and bring in Zola or Ryan Giggs or Peter Schmeichel or Maradona, or some other lunatic appointment like that.

I bet if fans were asked if they would take a finish in the PL around #10, and a big run in the EFL Cup in making the finals, most would have signed up as a yes. The Saints have done this in spite of losing their top scorer (Austin), now their 2nd top scorer (Gabbi), their top defender (VVD), and assorted other good players. I don't see the case at all for anyone to want Puel out based on the results. Now if the players hate him, or management hates him, etc., then thats something else. However based on the results Puel stays.

I bet if fans were asked if they would take a finish in the PL around #10, and a big run in the EFL Cup in making the finals, most would have signed up as a yes. The Saints have done this in spite of losing their top scorer (Austin), now their 2nd top scorer (Gabbi), their top defender (VVD), and assorted other good players. I don't see the case at all for anyone to want Puel out based on the results. Now if the players hate him, or management hates him, etc., then thats something else. However based on the results Puel stays.

Far too much common sense and intelligence in your post for this forum.

Not enough goals, especially at home.

Yes but that comes down as much to the club not doing a good recruitment job in the summer as the manager. As soon as Puel got a quality striker leading the line we were scoring for fun.

It's interesting to speculate were we'd be had we signed Gabbi last summer instead of Jan.

I doubt there is manager in the league that could have made a free scoring side out of Jrod and Long backed up by Tadic and Redmond ( who are both good players but can't score for toffee).

So Puel will be fine as Long as Gabbi continues to score every time he plays?

He doesn't actually have to score, his constant threat terrifies the opposition and opens it up for our other players, and having a goal-scorer lifts the whole team. For example, he only scored one of the 4 goals against Watford.

It's worth mentioning that Gabbi wasn't (he admitted he hadn't spoken to the manager when he signed) a Puel signing....

What is the relevance of that? (genuine question, not being facetious or angry) Don't think anyone is giving him credit for the signing?

What is the relevance of that? (genuine question, not being facetious or angry) Don't think anyone is giving him credit for the signing?

Absolutely none, but if he's unlucky with injuries, he's very lucky (we could well be in a relegation scrap if we hadn't) Les & co managed to get that one across the line.

Yes but that comes down as much to the club not doing a good recruitment job in the summer as the manager. As soon as Puel got a quality striker leading the line we were scoring for fun.

It's interesting to speculate were we'd be had we signed Gabbi last summer instead of Jan.

I doubt there is manager in the league that could have made a free scoring side out of Jrod and Long backed up by Tadic and Redmond ( who are both good players but can't score for toffee).

Yeah but he would have been injured in September ;)

But I agree, management is more than one man.

Could someone better than I am with technology retrieve the link that shows everyone's pre-season predictions? I doubt Puel is under performing against most with a top ten finish likely and cup final. Hope someone can do this

So depending on results tonight and tomorrow we could go 17th, if so do people think we should still get rid

Yep and meanwhile Everton go 5th and 20 points ahead of us.

Same Everton that we finished 16 points ahead of last season.... A 36 point swing

WBA, Watford, Burnley, Leicester, Stoke all above us. We sit level with Bournemouth but still peeps wanna make excuses for Puel.

To match last season we would have to win every one of our remaining games. Shows how far off that we are.

I think Puel should be given a chance with another transfer window but I also think our best spell is probably behind us now and realistically we are going to be an 8th -14th team rather than pushing on from 8th position. That is where we are in terms of investment in the squad which is ultimately telling.

This season I would have taken 10th, a drop of 4 league places. But much more than that is definitely poor. Few teams drop 4 places let alone 6, 7 or 8 in a season.

So depending on results tonight and tomorrow we could go 17th, if so do people think we should still get rid

On the other hand if we win we are 9th with two games in hand, having reached a cup final and having to deal with European football having lost our best player and both top goal scorers' to injury....fine margins this football thing

Absolutely none, but if he's unlucky with injuries, he's very lucky (we could well be in a relegation scrap if we hadn't) Les & co managed to get that one across the line.

Come tomorrow night we could be very much in a relegation scrap.

To match last season we would have to win every one of our remaining games. Shows how far off that we are.

I think Puel should be given a chance with another transfer window but I also think our best spell is probably behind us now and realistically we are going to be an 8th -14th team rather than pushing on from 8th position. That is where we are in terms of investment in the squad which is ultimately telling.

This season I would have taken 10th, a drop of 4 league places. But much more than that is definitely poor. Few teams drop 4 places let alone 6, 7 or 8 in a season.

Erm Chelsea and Leicester are two teams that come to mind that both dropped places heavily in the last two seasons it happens to all teams sooner or later..