Saints vs. Stoke City build-up

kwsaint

Quite a few people in this thread have neglected to include Tadic (you're not the only one trousers) - I assume facemask aside he is fully fit and no new injuries? Puel did not mention him from the little I've seen of his interview. We've missed him massively in recent games, I'd be starting him.

He started against Boro but was pretty poor tbh (no surprise having not played for a while) his biggest contribution was getting himself booked. We looked far better once Redmond replaced him for the second half.

Hello.

Looking forward to this mid week game.

What are your thoughts, given the absence of Austin, of a Liverpool like front line. No target man, just creativity and attacking flair to get some goals.

------------Forster--------------

Cedric--Fonte--VVD--Bertrand

-------------Romeu------------

--Hojbjerg------------JWP------

Redmond---Boufal---Tadic-----

Too light?

Hello.

Looking forward to this mid week game.

What are your thoughts, given the absence of Austin, of a Liverpool like front line. No target man, just creativity and attacking flair to get some goals.

------------Forster--------------

Cedric--Fonte--VVD--Bertrand

-------------Romeu------------

--Hojbjerg------------JWP------

Redmond---Boufal---Tadic-----

Too light?

Someone else was suggesting a similar formation (only their reference point was Barcelona rather than Liverpool). Think we have the front three to play this kind of formation, but not the midfield. You need at least one or preferably two in the midfield three who are comfortable bringing the ball to the edge of the box, otherwise the front three spend the game complete isolated, or end up falling back so deep that they have to beat several defenders to get back into goal scoring positions.

Someone else was suggesting a similar formation (only their reference point was Barcelona rather than Liverpool). Think we have the front three to play this kind of formation, but not the midfield. You need at least one or preferably two in the midfield three who are comfortable bringing the ball to the edge of the box, otherwise the front three spend the game complete isolated, or end up falling back so deep that they have to beat several defenders to get back into goal scoring positions.

Not to mention both Liverpool & Barca win the ball incredibly high up the pitch. We don't do that, we tend to sit-off off them.

A very tough game. Stoke were a little behind us in quality last season but now they are stronger.

On what is that nonsense based?

- at the end 2015/16 Stoke were 12 points behind us, 32 swing in goal difference

- after 15 games of 2016/17 they are below Saints

In a combined XI team I really wouldn't want many (if any) of their players.

On what is that nonsense based?

- at the end 2015/16 Stoke were 12 points behind us, 32 swing in goal difference

- after 15 games of 2016/17 they are below Saints

In a combined XI team I really wouldn't want many (if any) of their players.

It's Dalek so relax MLG. But to be fair they are stronger than last year and we're weaker so he has a point. I'd take a fit Butland over Foster, Johnson over Martina, Shaqiri, Anautovic and at the moment any of their various other strikers over long and jrod.

But to be fair they are stronger than last year and we're weaker so he has a point. I'd take a fit Butland over Foster, Johnson over Martina, Shaqiri, Anautovic and at the moment any of their various other strikers over long and jrod.

1) Foster plays for West Brom not Saints. I think Forster is better than Butland. Although very promising, Butland doesn't have anywhere near the experience to have proven himself like Forster does.

2) Martina is not Southampton's first choice right back, Cedric is. Martina is 3rd choice, behind Cedric & Pied.

3) I don't know why you are comparing Shaqiri & Arnautovic with Long & Rodriguez. It is Tadic, Boufal, Redmond, Sims they would be up against for one of two places.

4) Plus if you are going to include the injured Butland, why not follow the same logic and include the injured Austin?

1) Foster plays for West Brom not Saints. I think Forster is better than Butland. Although very promising, Butland doesn't have anywhere near the experience to have proven himself like Forster does.

2) Martina is not Southampton's first choice right back, Cedric is. Martina is 3rd choice, behind Cedric & Pied.

3) I don't know why you are comparing Shaqiri & Arnautovic with Long & Rodriguez. It is Tadic, Boufal, Redmond, Sims they would be up against for one of two places.

4) Plus if you are going to include the injured Butland, why not follow the same logic and include the injured Austin?

Such a b ellend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are a dic k. The poster was just reasonably posting a point of view and jumped on him all pompous and self righteous.

It's Dalek so relax MLG. But to be fair they are stronger than last year and we're weaker so he has a point. I'd take a fit Butland over Foster, Johnson over Martina, Shaqiri, Anautovic and at the moment any of their various other strikers over long and jrod.

I don't know if I'd swap any of our players for him in reality but some of the performances Joe Allen's been putting in this season would be most welcome here.

Jeez, you need a hobby mate. You know I meant Forster you pompous muppet.

Pied is crocked and in our rotational system only foster (yeah I know), vvd and Romeu play most games so to say we have a first choice anyone else is stretching it. I repeat I'd take Johnson over Martina.

Re 3, Arnautovic plays in a very forward position and I'd have him in our team over Jrod and long.

Re 4... ah ****** I can't be bothered.

You're a cock, choosing butland over Forster is completely fair enough, not much in it either way.

I had compleatly forgotten about this guy!

Anybody who has been before recommend a good place to park tonight?

Parking around the ground is sparse. Some people park in a housing estate the other side of the dual carriageway but its a long walk. What I've done since we've been back in the Prem is as you come off Junction 15 of the M6 head towards Stoke but come off at the A5035 and then take a left at Stanley Matthews Way. There are loads of industrial units there with car parking and its a short walk to the stadium - plus you're the 'right side' of the traffic after the game (although obviously the parking is popular so there will be some waiting in traffic - but I've found it to be the best place the last few years).

I think tonight will be an interesting team selection...

Now we are out of Europe, I'd be thinking that the rotation should lessen... I am aware that we have a tight schedule over Xmas but I think that we need to field a strong side tonight... possibly start with the team that beat Boro. They won the game so deserve to start.

Extra days rest on Saturday before Bournemouth... so I'd go for it tonight

I think tonight will be an interesting team selection...

Now we are out of Europe, I'd be thinking that the rotation should lessen... I am aware that we have a tight schedule over Xmas but I think that we need to field a strong side tonight... possibly start with the team that beat Boro. They won the game so deserve to start.

Extra days rest on Saturday before Bournemouth... so I'd go for it tonight

It will lessen as we won't play on Thursdays anymore, but during "3 games in a week" weeks like this one, Claude will keep on rotating.

So what we thinking for tonight then....

Cedric, Bertand, Davis, Hojbjerg, Long, Redmond all back in?

-----------Forster

Cedric Fonte VVD Bertrand

-----------Romeu------------

------Hojbjerg-Davis--------

Redmond--Boufal--Long

I think the midfield is more balanced with Davis or Hoj paired with either JWP or Clasie rather than Davis and Hoj together. Other than that seems about right. How long has Boufal got before he leaves for the ACON? might as well play him as much as we can until then and bring Tadic back up speed with sub appearances before then.

The OS are bigging up JayRod so I guess he's starting, I hope to god he scores tonight, I think it could open the floodgates!

I'd love Jay to get a goal and become the missing piece of the puzzle for the rest of the season. Expecting Long to start though with Jay coming off the bench towards the end.

Not expecting much from this game... It'll need some Boufal magic if we want to leave with some points.

I think that Davis is presently cr*p and would prefer Clasie in his present form.

If JWP starts I will bet on Stoke.

So what we thinking for tonight then....

Cedric, Bertand, Davis, Hojbjerg, Long, Redmond all back in?

-----------Forster

Cedric Fonte VVD Bertrand

-----------Romeu------------

------Hojbjerg-Davis--------

Redmond--Boufal--Long

Looking forward to tonight ......for the doomsayers on here just look where we would be in the table if we pick up 3 points tonight !!!

I saw great improvement in Jay Rod on Sunday and I can see him steeping up and scoring tonight , he looked much sharper his movement was better and he put in a good shift .

The one worry I have is if you look at the stats on average Forster only has Two shots on target max per game to deal with , we actually have the second best defensive record in the league behind chelsea .......and yes I do take on board we need to score more goals , but if you look at the amount of games Forster has just 1 shot on goal to deal with and he concedes this concerns me . As a goal conceded against shots on target from the opposition I would bet our ratio is by far the worst in the League ....needs addressing .

2 nil saints tonight a goal from Jay Rod and Boufal

Looking forward to tonight ......for the doomsayers on here just look where we would be in the table if we pick up 3 points tonight !!!

I saw great improvement in Jay Rod on Sunday and I can see him steeping up and scoring tonight , he looked much sharper his movement was better and he put in a good shift .

The one worry I have is if you look at the stats on average Forster only has Two shots on target max per game to deal with , we actually have the second best defensive record in the league behind chelsea .......and yes I do take on board we need to score more goals , but if you look at the amount of games Forster has just 1 shot on goal to deal with and he concedes this concerns me . As a goal conceded against shots on target from the opposition I would bet our ratio is by far the worst in the League ....needs addressing .

2 nil saints tonight a goal from Jay Rod and Boufal

I read that we have allowed just 37 shots on target against our goal this season (the best in the PL) and we've conceded 15 so that's one goal in roughly every 2.4 shots on target.

I wish our strikers had a conversion rate like that....

Edited by doddisalegend

Hearing that Stoke have defensive injury concerns & Shawcross is having a fitness test. Also both full backs doubts.

So it looks like a weakened Stoke defence V a weakened Saints attack + full strength Stoke attack V full strength Saints defence.

I will go for a 0-0 then..................

See you there!!

Stokies at work are uber confident. 3-0 is the consensus.

We might lose but I don't see us shipping three again anytime soon even Liverpool and Chelsea couldn't put three past us and I'm pretty sure I don't rate Stokes attack that highly. Of course if FF decides to gift them three goals like he did at Palace there's not much we can do.....

Edited by doddisalegend

I agree, I can see Stoke winning but shipping 3 goals is most unlike us. If it weren't for a couple of howlers, destined for a Danny Dyer, Christmas stocking blooper DVD, we wouldn't have let in 3 at Palace.

I think maybe 2-1 to them. They take a 2-0 after a sluggish first hour from Saints, then we get a late goal back from a corner.

After recent very poor displays on the road (Arsenal aside) I doff my cap to those making the long trip to nowhere tonight. 2 years ago this week we took 5,000 up to Sheffield midweek (another shocker - that was one sh*tty trip!) I'd think we'll be lucky to get 500 to Stoke later.

Not expecting too much... and not great for the travellers but 0-0 would be a good one for us.

I would love us to play a traditional 4-4-2 with Long and JRod up front playing off each other.

Tadic left, boufal right, Romeu and clasie in the centre. Strongest back 4 plus Fraser. Won't happen, but I believe two proper forwards playing together would alleviate our scoring problems...

I would love us to play a traditional 4-4-2 with Long and JRod up front playing off each other.

Tadic left, boufal right, Romeu and clasie in the centre. Strongest back 4 plus Fraser. Won't happen, but I believe two proper forwards playing together would alleviate our scoring problems...

I agree

Win, lose or draw can we at least have a right go at them from the first minute rather than meaningless possession that creates nothing. What I don't want to see is a negative display with no ambition which will probably result in a one nil defeat. Let's have a right good go at them and start on the front foot at a high tempo.

Not politically correct for the experts but I'd love to see it. A lovely balanced system with the right players rather than a hopeless system with the wrong players.

Not sure I agree Long and Jrod are to similar (probably spend half the game trying to take up the same positions and getting in each others way) if one of the two was Austin (which of course it wont be anytime soon) instead I think it might work better.