Saints 1 Spurs 4 Reaction

Mr X

They were much better than us, bar the first fifteen. Shouldn't of been a pen or a red card, the cautionable offence occurred 15 yards outside of the box, but that said - I still think they would've won. I predicted them scoring a hatful at half time - and they duly obliged. Guess it's one to 'draw a line under and move on'.

My concerns are that we don't really look like scoring goals against most teams. When we need inspiration - it always seems to come from VvD, he and Fonte look most likely to score in games like that. Where are our so called creative / flair players when the going gets tough?

Foster didn't instill any confidence in the players in front of him with his kicking tonight and seriously needs to work on the basics when the ball is on the ground.

Strangely, even after having a new one ripped by Spurs, I don't feel too deflated tonight - perhaps I was expecting it all along.

Moving on - WBA next and that won't be easy - need a serious reaction after tonight though.

Edited by Micky

I thought they'd changed the rules that accidentally fouls inside the box that resulted in a penalty were no longer punishable by a red card? Which is exactly what it was. The arm pull was outside the box but didn't end up impeding play.

Personally thought I saw Redmond have a tug at his arm inside the box as well but I've not seen it back. Referee should issue a red card for the initial tug anyway as Ali is clean through on goal and it's not an honest attempt to win the ball.

Well that was damn awful all round.

Forster has become someone with whom I have no confidence in at all.

Along with Puel.....it's so stale and boring and you pick that up with the lack of atmosphere at St Mary's.

So lethargic and devoid of ideas.

You wouldn't believe we've had a 10 day break.

Changes are needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Were you there tonight? The atmosphere was far from stale but don't let that spoil your digs.

We were still in it with a remote chance till the substitutions. From then on we fell apart, with not one of the substitutes doing a thing. Forster has become a liability and would be more useful as a statue outside the ground. I honestly ask myself what does Dave Watson do on the training ground. Our keepers have become worse and make no improvements whatsoever.

This is from the FA's website. I may have to reduce my indignation levels a little...

SENDING-OFF OFFENCES

A player, substitute or substituted player who commits any of the following offences is sent off:

denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area)

denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the opponents’ goal by an offence punishable by a free kick (unless as outlined below)

serious foul play

spitting at an opponent or any other person

violent conduct

using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures

receiving a second caution in the same match

A player, substitute or substituted player who has been sent off must leave the vicinity of the field of play and the technical area.

DENYING A GOAL OR AN OBVIOUS GOAL-SCORING OPPORTUNITY

Where a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a deliberate handball offence the player is sent off wherever the offence occurs.

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offending player is cautioned unless:

The offence is holding, pulling or pushing or

The offending player does not attempt to play the ball or there is no possibility for the player making the challenge to play the ball or

The offence is one which is punishable by a red card wherever it occurs on the field of play (e.g. serious foul play, violent conduct etc.)

In all the above circumstances the player is sent off.

The following must be considered:

distance between the offence and the goal

general direction of the play

likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball

location and number of defenders

I appreciate that I am talking to myself at this point but after going outside to take out the garbage, clear the snow and get the mail, and thinking about it some more the rule above does say "denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity". There was no denial of a goal scoring opportunity since Ali got into the box when Redmond fell and Dean played the advantage, and missed a good goal-scoring opportunity. Redmond unsuccessfully impeded a goal scoring opportunity, he did not deny it. Indignation levels restored. Dean is a plonker. Now it's time for a drink.

By the way, does anyone know why Dean took best part of a minute to issue the red card?

Because he could, because he was live on Sky, because he doesn't have to explain the reasoning to anybody at the end of the game.....

I despair with some referees, I really do. If you actually look at the foul - it occurred well outside of the box. He's right to allow play to go on, but nothing happened inside the box.

I just feel that it's really easy for referees to always go in favour of the 'bigger' team - which tonight, was Spurs.

Personally thought I saw Redmond have a tug at his arm inside the box as well but I've not seen it back. Referee should issue a red card for the initial tug anyway as Ali is clean through on goal and it's not an honest attempt to win the ball.
You can't play advantage and pull it back for a red card either.

Apart from a dead ball, jwp is not even an average footballer.

Redmond is not good enough.

Best thing to come out of today's game is him being banned!

It was clear we had no physical presence in midfield. Should've put hojbjerg on for jwp at half time and brought tadic on for redmond

JWP had a poor game. Redmond looked ok for me up to a travesty of a decision. Think people are getting unfairly on his back. Up to the red card from their equaliser the front 3 struggled because we decided to stop pressing and defend so deep which played into their hands.

APOLOGY FROM S.F.C.

Southampton football club wish to apologize to all of its supporters following the performance and result against Bournemouth last week . Rest assured we have been working hard all over the festive period in order to rectify this fault, and hope to have normal service restored in time for our next match against THFC.

What the actual f#*k is the solution to the forster issue tho?! He's been out of form practically the whole season, and his deputy was about to be a crystal palace THIRD choice when we signed him. Were we seriously going to play a prem game with the 40 year old guy whom I don't know how long its been since he played a competitive game never mind a prem game b/n the sticks while McCarthy was out injured tho? Seriously?

We were still in it with a remote chance till the substitutions. From then on we fell apart, with not one of the substitutes doing a thing. Forster has become a liability and would be more useful as a statue outside the ground. I honestly ask myself what does Dave Watson do on the training ground. Our keepers have become worse and make no improvements whatsoever.

When he made the substitutions I actually thought - well done, that's a positive reaction - so I can't really blame Puel too much on that one. But, you're right - to a man, they offered nothing. Talk about having players on the bench who can make an impact - my old mans 83 and he could've made a bigger impact than all three of them...!

Has Shane scored this season yet? He really doesn't look like he has a clue of where the goal is, let alone how to get the ball there.

Long hard season for some of our lot I think.

Apart from a dead ball, jwp is not even an average footballer.

Redmond is not good enough.

Best thing to come out of today's game is him being banned!

It was clear we had no physical presence in midfield. Should've put hojbjerg on for jwp at half time and brought tadic on for redmond

Redmond and JWP are simply not Premiership standard. Nice lads and all that but tonight they had 11 players and we had 9. The sooner SFC get over their Academy fetish the better. We believe our own hype to our detriment.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37331446

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37959870

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38387814

Two penalties for them and three red cards for the opposition against Spurs in the three games involving them where Mike Reid has been the ref.

Utterly ridiculous decision to send Redmond off, tussling like that happens dozens of times every game and he'd already allowed the game to play on. The ref only pulled it back after he missed his shot.

Spurs had been clinical with their chances before that, but we'd actually been very good at limiting them. Spurs certainly weren't worth 4-1 against us.

Be just our luck to appeal the Redmond sending off and win it !

Davis off and JWP left on was a strange change considering how fkin awful he was yet again.

Puel said on Solent it's not possible to play the pressing game for the whole match......well Spurs managed it for about 70 mins compared with our 15 mins !

They were too good for us, simple as that. Beaten by a far better side once they got to grips with the game.

Started very well and caught them totally on the beach for the first couple of mins, but as soon as they clicked into gear we couldn't get near them.

One of those games. Move on, forget it, beat West Brom. Job done.

It's not just one of those games, it's a game that shows exactly where we are as a club. One that can score, even beat teams, but not one that really competes toe to toe, even dominates as we once did against the big sides. The gradual removal of top talent may not have shown last season in results, but whereas once we dictated now we hang on. We miss the Wanyama/Morgan partnership more than people think...

Davis off and JWP left on was a strange change considering how fkin awful he was yet again.

Puel said on Solent it's not possible to play the pressing game for the whole match......well Spurs managed it for about 70 mins compared with our 15 mins !

its poor that we seemed to lack the fitness or inclination to do it for longer than 15 minutes.

Redmond and JWP are simply not Premiership standard. Nice lads and all that but tonight they had 11 players and we had 9. The sooner SFC get over their Academy fetish the better. We believe our own hype to our detriment.

It's pretty clear that part of Claude's remit is to showcase the youth at SFC. It's part of the business model and squad rotation provides the perfect excuse / vehicle to do this. Koeman wouldn't do it and he left.

Pathetic to say that. We've had ten days off! Surely we could have managed more than 15 minutes?!

what a load of ****e that was,ten minutes of saints being good and than total control of the game by spurs.

****in dreadful,by all saints players.

forster can **** off now,he is ****.gives no confidence to our defence.

wba must be glad they are playing us next,god help us

thank god ive had a good drink coz it helps hide the ****e we served up tonight.

first time ive thought puel should get out of saints

happy new year fellow saints fans,dreading everton away on jan 2

If you let any decent side walk the ball in to your half completely unopposed you're asking for trouble. They had so much time to pick a pass it was absurd....and we even made Wanyama look like Gerrard at times. No hassling or harrying at all until we went down to 10 men. Spurs are a good side but we made them look so much better than they are.

It's not just one of those games, it's a game that shows exactly where we are as a club. One that can score, even beat teams, but not one that really competes toe to toe, even dominates as we once did against the big sides. The gradual removal of top talent may not have shown last season in results, but whereas once we dictated now we hang on. We miss the Wanyama/Morgan partnership more than people think...

Totally agree. Last season I used to think that we had a chance in any of the games we played - even the so called big clubs. This season, I have no confidence whatsoever going into games against the top sides, or those in and around us to be honest. Tonight we were the home team and trying to hang on from about the 25 minute mark - we were never going to win, and Vic was pretty damn good for them tonight as well.

WBA next - and personally I wouldn't be surprised if we got nothing from that either. That said, I can see us finishing 10 - 14, shouldn't really be any worse than that.

Spurs had been clinical with their chances before that, but we'd actually been very good at limiting them. Spurs certainly weren't worth 4-1 against us.

Could easily have been 6 and but for a great Fonte tackle 7. Let's not kid ourselves, Spurs were the better side before the red too.

Awful result, it really does hurt to lose to Spurs yet again. But what do we expect, playing really well for first 10-15 minutes, excellent free kick by JWP and goal by VvD. From then on we played with 8 players, all playing well, doing their job. But you can' play with 8 against a team like Spurs. JWP other then his free kick was completely invisible, I actually forgot he was playing, and then for him not to be subbed was mind boggling by CP. Redmond, as so often, a complete and utter waste of space, compounded this time by giving the ball away and causing the referee to have the possibility of a penalty and a red card (it was not a penalty, the only only foul was outside the area). I guess the positive we can take is at least he can't play next game, even if we did appeal and were unlucky enough to win it wouldn't be before our next game would it?). Then there is the matter of our so-called goal keeper. What a complete and utter joke he is becoming (has become). He didn't cause any of our goals, but his lack of any effort to stop any of them was just laughable, all of them were potentially savable, but not for Desperate Dan. His kicking was also again appalling, people on here ask what areas need strengthening, yet its pretty obvious we need a keeper. Sorry for the rest of the team who actually played very well in the most part. We have to stop using these players who are just not good enough at the moment. At least our groundsman was more effective than those three (JWP free kick apart).

Guess some will react to this with the usual drivel but it really beggars belief that we cannot do better than these three.

If you let any decent side walk the ball in to your half completely unopposed you're asking for trouble. They had so much time to pick a pass it was absurd....and we even made Wanyama look like Gerrard at times. No hassling or harrying at all until we went down to 10 men. Spurs are a good side but we made them look so much better than they are.
our midfield is so lightweight.

1) Forster's game has staggeringly little improvement since he joined us. (I actually think his kicking has improved overall, despite it being shocking tonight.) It concerns me that he is still so hesitant to come off his line and command his box - why has this not been addressed?

2) What has happened to Hojbjerg?

3) Can we either play Boufal centrally or play two up front?

4) Why did it take Puel so long to change things?

Positives

+ Performances of VVD, Davis, Fonte

+ Pressing for the first few mins, was great to see

+ JWP work-rate and assist

Negatives:

- I don't like to chose scapegoat, but aside from the free kick JWP and the midfield really failed to impose themselves

- That crap song before kick off

- Gulf in class between us and Spurs. They are better technically, controlled the game well.

- Lack of physicality from our team, we looked really small and weak compared to them.

- No one within ten yards of Jay Rod to win his knock downs.

- Forster distribution

The players looked out on their feet by half time and we were really second best before the red. It was a good effort, it must have been tough physically. I really think we miss a player like Graziano, technically and physically, really hope we get a striker in Jan.

Hope a completely different team gets a run out against WBA. Try some fresh legs, give VVD a rest, try something new. Wish we pressed a bit more in general, independent of tonight.

Edited by forever a red and white

Thats crap man, we were top 6! Its an easy excuse for the club when really we should be hitting these targets. Mid table is fine as a holding role, as long as they knowledge we are underachieving.

Complete & utter rubbish. We were only top 6 last season because Chelsea & Liverpool seriously under performed. The top 6 this season are head and shoulders above the rest of the league and if they play well, they'll beat the rest. I doubt you'll find one pundit who belives we are "underachieving" , it's nonsense . How many top 6 finishes have we had in 100+ years? Look it up , then you may realise you're writing pony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2271[/ATTACH] wonder if this is picked up !

I would hope so. I noticed that happen at the time and watched Jay Rod. He held his nose for a few seconds, then ran straight up to Dyer and had a right go at him while play was going on and clearly wasn't happy.

This attitude is what holds us back. "ah we almost made it" but lets be happy as also rans. We have been appalling latley. HBS, Prague, Hull, Palace, stoke especially. No fecking excuse for it. You add those games up and we are higher in the league, within reach of last seasons finish and in the europa league knock outs.

We chose to sell our best players and again not reinvest fully. And we have a fan base who again let the board off for under achieving? WTF. There is no excuse for worsening ourselves this season given West Ham and Leicester have completely removed themselves from the picture, united have again been poor.

Its almost like our fans have no ambition.

No, I think we are becoming more realistic in our ambition. Staying in the Premier League is good enough.

We underinvested in the summer and as a club complacent that we can use boys to do a mans job. The focus on making 20M plus players to sell instead of making us a team for the fans to watch can only send us in a downward spiral long term.

Each season we are looking less competitive, and whilst fans point to us getting higher positions each season we are deluding ourselves as we have had a few seasons where the top 5 teams have underperformed, hence Leicester winning the title

Anyone got a replay for the penalty?

Don't need one. He pulled his shirt about 5 metres outside the box. It was a professional foul and deserved a red as it prevented him running through and slotting home. Once inside the box, Redmond tried to grab Ali, missed and fell, almost but not into him. It wasn't a pen. No chance.