Swans 2-1 Saints - Reaction

Lighthouse

Glad we rested our key players against Arsenal, might have lost tonight otherwise!! Oh....

Typical Saints tonight really, created chances but poor finishing, or got the crosses in but no support. Looked a different team once Boufal was introduced, Tadic needs to be dropped really, its like playing with 10 men.

So underwhelmed with the club at the moment. Cup run papering over some shocking performances of late. Puel seems to be able to set up a team to contain but when we need to go for it he's tactically clueless. The Southampton way has lost its way and the club seem quite happy to amble along. The root of the problem is a chairman who's not on the planet and a director of football who's lost the plot. Both need to resign and puel can't have another season. So so disappointed with what we've become.

How about the kitman? Tea lady? Nope, sod it. Everyone out of good ship Southampton!

crazy stuff on here. Thought we played well tonight in an entertaining match. Boufal is immense and we're unlucky to be missing some key players (Austin, VVD, JRod). Swansea were really well organised and won via a bit of luck and a moment of brilliance. Oh well, on to West Ham.

Sssshhhhhhhhhhh......

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

It does make me angry reading the carp on here sometimes.

Yes it wasn't good first half and maybe we should have been 2 or 3-0 down half time, but second half we bossed.

Undone once again by a counter attack from one of our corners.

Great second half performance with no end product.

Not good enough. Get the cup final out the way and then get rid of Puel. Planning for the next manager should be well underway.

No point in getting rid of him before the end of the season, unless we have someone obviously better lined up. Nothing to lose really, after the cup final, the rest of the season is a bit of a dud TBH.

Reverted back to a **** defensive style again. Needs to cut that out.

Yep, generally my feeling.

We are such a better team when we take the game to teams (I.e second half), unfortunately just doesn't happen enough.

Not good enough. Get the cup final out the way and then get rid of Puel. Planning for the next manager should be well underway.

Dare I say it, I wouldn't even have him here for the final. He certainly brought himself some time by somehow getting us there, but I honestly believe our best chance of beating Utd involves a new manager who can breath some life and creativity into the team and try and finish the season on a positive note and avoid a relegation battle. Should we end up down there I don't see Puel being the man to dig us out. Not when we're unable to beat the bottom teams.

So now I understand why we threw the fa cup game we looked so fresh and full v energy tonight I thought we were in danger of killing them oh no that's not what happened we looked lacklustre disjointed and for 45 minutes totally devoid of ideas. Puel will last the season we won't get relegated but he won't last the following season his tactics and setup are just too dull he either keeps sending us out to play turgid defensive football or he is incapable of getting his message across.

Really?? FFS, sitting at home literally so angry you are crying spouting rubbish like this. If you honestly feel like that maybe we should have collection buckets round the ground for these destroyed youngsters?

Yes I'm annoyed and judging by other comments on the forum with good reason - respect the fact that you don't agree but still feel for the young keeper at the weekend who was I'm afraid 'out of his league' albeit with little protection - what will that kind of experience do for his confidence.

After the last 2 seasons of growth and progress I am watching us slide away and decline and no matter what anyone says - at the moment I have no faith that CP can turn it around and by now it's probably too late - we should have been consolidating a top 8 position.

Lets all hope that he proves me wrong.

Sad state of affairs when a cup final manager has fans looking at the next run of fixtures and thinks he could be out of a job next week. Obviously not going to sack him yet but we play some truly dire football at times this season. No CB cover, no news on when VVD will be back I can't see us being relegated but certainly think we will struggle next year if Puel is still in charge.

We need to learn how to move the ball forward much quicker. In the first 20 minutes we had lots of possession but did not penetrate at all. I think the problem is that we are not willing to take the risk with a killer ball. I thought we were the better side in the second half and Boufal made us more threatening. Swansea are clearly getting a lift from the new manager and their Liverpool win and I always felt that this would be tough despite some people's view that we should have cruised through this one.

If there's anything worse than watching Saints play badly it's following a game on here. All this play your strongest team when 5/6 players are out injured or coming back from injury...

If Boufal is Puel's signing that's a good sign, but he's got to be allowed some leeway for the existing raw materials he has to work with. Our midfield has been a low contributor to scoring for years, our strikers also are not top notch. We do need to play with a higher tempo and be more incisive, but we attack and they score with a breakaway goal and all it is is a cue for more moaning.

Our need for a striker and CB is obvious but that shouldn't be paid at his feet.

Love it on here when we lose. Don't like us losing but the girlie over reaction is just so amusing. Draw Nigel's blue line under it and move on. What will be will be. If we're good enough this season we'll be alright, if not we won't be, and we'll be in the Championship.

We need to learn how to move the ball forward much quicker. In the first 20 minutes we had lots of possession but did not penetrate at all. I think the problem is that we are not willing to take the risk with a killer ball. I thought we were the better side in the second half and Boufal made us more threatening. Swansea are clearly getting a lift from the new manager and their Liverpool win and I always felt that this would be tough despite some people's view that we should have cruised through this one.

Thats a tactical thing, the keep ball rubbish. We've got professional footballers who can and have moved it much quicker in recent years... but...

...all we need is a striker, mate.

Dare I say it, I wouldn't even have him here for the final. He certainly brought himself some time by somehow getting us there, but I honestly believe our best chance of beating Utd involves a new manager who can breath some life and creativity into the team and try and finish the season on a positive note and avoid a relegation battle. Should we end up down there I don't see Puel being the man to dig us out. Not when we're unable to beat the bottom teams.

I preferred the old you pal -you know the deluded ITK fantasist.

Kneejerk drivel.

Glad we rested our key players against Arsenal, might have lost tonight otherwise!! Oh....

Typical Saints tonight really, created chances but poor finishing, or got the crosses in but no support. Looked a different team once Boufal was introduced, Tadic needs to be dropped really, its like playing with 10 men.

Agree Tadic has been f@ckin sh!t this season, he really has.

Yes it wasn't good first half and maybe we should have been 2 or 3-0 down half time, but second half we bossed.

In all honesty, is it any coincidence that we looked better in the second half when we are more positive?

Is it any coincidence that our best performances (top 6 away fro home aside as you can't or you'll get hammered) are when we take the game to teams (look at Liverpool home leg....).

Why can everyone see this other than the manager? And if he's not setting the team up to play like this, why are they still be selected and why aren't they listening to him?

You can understand why people are frustrated.

We'll never move the ball quickly under Puel because he clearly emphasizes ball retention over everything else. Even when we get the full backs overlapped they turn back far more often than not.

The goal came from the only time we really moved it quickly. The rest of the time it was Puel's square-square-back cha-cha.

Costa would struggle to score with Puel's tactics.

The people on here saying we didn't deserve to lose - We had 2 shots on target in 90 minutes, I can't even remember what the second shot on target is. Swansea had the better chances and Forster stopped it from being embarrassing.

Lots of possession in the second half but once again we done **** all with it.

Reverted back to a **** defensive style again. Needs to cut that out.

First half was bad but second half was much better we looked pretty good and not defensive at all (probably should have been a bit more defensive with their second)

The team is so Jekyll and Hyde this season you see glimpses of how good we could be but other times we look like dog turd.

Real shame - did not deserve to lose that except our central midfield, Romeu apart, is abysmal. Just don't get the love in for Davis (who I thought was terrible) and Clasie was very poor.

We rely on trying to cross the ball into the box too much (badly) when we have no-one to win those crosses.

Thought they played well 2nd half and Boufal was outstanding whereas Tadic was absolutely terrible again (as he has been pretty much all season).

We need to start winning games that we boss. We are simply not clinical enough and I thought we really missed JWP tonight - Davis was too slow and held play up and Clasie was just rubbish.

We were decent second half, and it was much better than the first. But much of that was down to Boufal having the ability to run at defenders and beat them in tight spaces. None of our other players can do that. There was a period, ironically just before they scored the second where we were on top and looking the more likely to win.

However, to say we 'bossed' the second half and that it was a 'great performance'... really?! Shock that a team near the bottom sat back to defend their lead and we had chance to build attacks, but how many clear cut chances did we create? Were we camped on the edge of their box? No. We had a few decent spells and a couple of moments where we should have tested the keeper.

Clearly in the first half the tactics weren't right and I wish we would get away from this sideways football, but I can't help feel like we are restrained by the quality of our players. Boufal comes on and we're like a different side. Tadic has been poor but I still think he'd be effective opposite Boufal when we're playing at a higher tempo.

To play slow build up we really need a striker who holds up the ball and brings others into play, and central midfielders who 'bomb on' and get past the centre forward. We have neither of those, so there's little wonder our slow style doesn't work.

If there's anything worse than watching Saints play badly it's following a game on here. All this play your strongest team when 5/6 players are out injured or coming back from injury...

If Boufal is Puel's signing that's a good sign, but he's got to be allowed some leeway for the existing raw materials he has to work with. Our midfield has been a low contributor to scoring for years, our strikers also are not top notch. We do need to play with a higher tempo and be more incisive, but we attack and they score with a breakaway goal and all it is is a cue for more moaning.

Our need for a striker and CB is obvious but that shouldn't be paid at his feet.

But Puel continues the same setup and line ups over and over and over his tactics and formation clearly haven't worked for an awful lot of games this season maybe he should try something different you know like shake things up and play 4-2-3-1 like the player were purchased for? Not having his own players isn't an excuse for being an inflexible bore.

Posted this in the match thread, pretty much sums up how I'm feeling.

In all honesty, is it any coincidence that we looked better in the second half when we are more positive?

Is it any coincidence that our best performances (top 6 away fro home aside as you can't or you'll get hammered) are when we take the game to teams (look at Liverpool home leg....).

Why can everyone see this other than the manager? And if he's not setting the team up to play like this, why are they still be selected and why aren't they listening to him?

You can understand why people are frustrated.

I don't think Puel is a bad manager and I'm desperate for him to do well, but current for and (IMO) tactic selection just isn't good enough.

We are setting out to try and control games, not to win them. We need to start playing 4231 with Boufal central, sacrifice one of our pointless midfielders and actually pose a direct threat to teams. If he wants to play with 3 in midfield and play on the break then fine, but against the likes of Swansea we have pick a more ambitious side.

The only positive was Boufal. Outstanding player

hahahahaha every thread, well played

Getting in there before someone else bores us with it, totally ignoring the fact that if we don't create good enough chances in the first place, then you could have the best striker in the world up there and it'll make no difference.

For example... signing Gabbiadini will make absolutely no difference to our shambolic defensive cover and creativity issues.

First half was bad but second half was much better we looked pretty good and not defensive at all (probably should have been a bit more defensive with their second)

The team is so Jekyll and Hyde this season you see glimpses of how good we could be but other times we look like dog turd.

Pretty much. There are two types of Puel teams. We've seen both in this game just like we did in the Spurs game.

On one hand we can break with pace a play some lovely attacking football.

On the other we slow it down, pass sideways and backwards and are utterly clueless going forward.

The difference in the two styles is all down to how the manager sets us up. He needs to stop ****ing about and let the team press forward more as when we sit back, we usually look ****e.

Conceding a goal from your own corner is U14 stuff. It's atrocious.

Our league record away from home this season: L, L, W, D, D, L, L, D, W, L, L , L. That's 9 points from 36.

We have not conceded two goals in a league game and got something from it this season. In fact the only time we have done it at all this season was in a cup game (against Norwich).

We can't keep the goals out and we can't score many. It's the sign of a poor team unfortunately.

We lack luck but we also don't deserve much. I would suggest we are in no danger of going down but we'll be looking over our shoulder well into May. Is that acceptable? I don't know really. Feels like the season really does hinge on the cup final.

Love it on here when we lose. Don't like us losing but the girlie over reaction is just so amusing. Draw Nigel's blue line under it and move on. What will be will be. If we're good enough this season we'll be alright, if not we won't be, and we'll be in the Championship.

Reed said that Puel doesnt have time to coach the players this season..wait till he sees the fixtures come thick and fast in the championship!

Reed said that Puel doesnt have time to coach the players this season..wait till he sees the fixtures come thick and fast in the championship!

Be fun though. Still be SFC! Not ideal I agree but still Saints. I don't wish this on us at all. Think the model needs fine tuning, and like Brailsford at Team Sky.

Edited by Winnersaint

Boufal, Romeu, Forster particularly good. Rest ok.

Too few shots on target and CB void is our problem.

With the players on the pitch I thought we were alright. We need to shore up the defence and we need to hope this Italian can score.

People who are saying we played well in the first half aren't seriously happy with that, are they? So... produce an insipid first half performance and go in losing but they're happy we came out fighting and grabbed a 2-1 defeat. So, performing that badly in the first place is acceptable, is it? Not the first time this season..

People who are saying we played well in the first half aren't seriously happy with that, are they? So... produce an insipid first half performance and go in losing but they're happy we came out fighting and grabbed a 2-1 defeat. So, performing that badly in the first place is acceptable, is it? Not the first time this season..

I remember the season we went down from the Championship. Just about every single game I saw away from home had us beaten in the first half (usually by a couple of goals, sometimes three) and then Dodd and Gorman would lay into them at HT and they got a reaction and you'd go away thinking there was hope. Then the next game it was the same old rubbish. Then you realised that the team only playing one half a game was not good at all and they weren't good enough.

I don't think its quite that bad of course but it's not a good sign.

When on earth will the so called happy clappers finally admit that Saints are nothing like as good as their rose tinted glasses say they are?

Sorry but being in a minor cup final just isn't good enough and they need to wake up fast, anyone else remember Wigan???

No matter how you feel personally about the Premier League ( and Sky ) sad to say but it is the be all and end all and a much

much better effort from the Board and other staff must be made to try and stay in it. This slap dash crap that is being served

up is patently not good enough. Sorry happy clappers but the signs have been there since the end of last season, they haven't

just suddenly inflicted themselves in the last few days.

Happy clappers are a curse on any team as they refuse to see things as they really are and still support rubbish regardless.