Huddersfield 0 Saints 0 - Match Thread

Bad Wolf

both have better decision making and ability to play a decent ball then redmond. davies has done well in advanced role before and a bit harsh to put jwp in the least creative players we have. hes improving all the time and his delivery usually gets close to getting assists like romeau"s header today
This.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I constantly said last season that the players were the issue, not the manager.

So what are we supposed to do ? The other 12 also-rans in the PL are managing to motivate their players.

Maybe the set-up at Saints is less capable of getting the players to toe the line than at other clubs. Maybe this complaicent "if you leave, sure we will find a replacement of the same quality" dogma that we had is starting to backfire. As in, we cant do it any more and now we are trying to hold on to the players, and they are resisting.

I just think something has gone massively wrong behing the scenes, and I guess it was letting Mane and Pelle leave last summer without even blinking.

So what are we supposed to do ? The other 12 also-rans in the PL are managing to motivate their players.

Maybe the set-up at Saints is less capable of getting the players to toe the line than at other clubs. Maybe this complaicent "if you leave, sure we will find a replacement of the same quality" dogma that we had is starting to backfire. As in, we cant do it any more and now we are trying to hold on to the players, and they are resisting.

I just think something has gone massively wrong behing the scenes, and I guess it was letting Mane and Pelle leave last summer without even blinking.

I don't normally agree with a lot of your comments but I think you're onto something re their being something wrong behind the scenes. Our morale seems absolutely awful and, although I have little sympathy for them given their pay packets, you could understand VVD and Bertrand thinking it hypocritical that they are being held to their contracts when other players were allowed to leave relatively easy. That said, they both made their beds when they signed recent new deals.

I wonder whether we've used our "stepping stone" status to recruit players and are now paying a price for breaking some kind of inherent promise to certain players.

Today confirmed we got rid of PUEL and have replaced him with MOPUEL. Little has changed or will change. Going to be a long, frustrating season

His record at Alaves didn't suggest it'd be raining goals or that we'd be back to the Poch high press so I'm not sure why so many expected it would be much better. We've got the same players being trained by some of the same coaches (Black) so it's hardly surprising we've got the same issues. To be it just illustrates how good Poch was - he came in and turned what was effectively a Championship team into a team that caused the big sides headaches. Our football back then was miles ahead of what's being served up by our current players.

A good day out albeit lucky to have escaped from an awful first half where we should have been out of the game had Udders been more clinical. We won't survive against better opposition.

Encouragingly, as I was very unimpressed by him against Wet Spam and Wolves, MP improved us second half and the substitutions were imaginative and effective with us finishing strongly. A few other observations:

- Lamina has shown me enough in both games to feel that he will prove a superb signing. Another Wanyama with more technically

- Both Bertrand and Cedric so far this season look either tired from the summer, distracted by speculation or both

- I worry that Davis, a favourite player of mine in recent seasons, is starting to look a little over the hill

- Having sent out Sam on loan I hope we are bringing in another striker this week, as we are cutting it very fine given Austin injury track record

His record at Alaves didn't suggest it'd be raining goals or that we'd be back to the Poch high press so I'm not sure why so many expected it would be much better. We've got the same players being trained by some of the same coaches (Black) so it's hardly surprising we've got the same issues. To be it just illustrates how good Poch was - he came in and turned what was effectively a Championship team into a team that caused the big sides headaches. Our football back then was miles ahead of what's being served up by our current players.

True, but it then begs the question, why get rid of Puel due to "style of football" if we were going to hire someone who does much the same. The comments after he arrived from Les certainly implied they were expecting more pressing this season. Wonder if the interview went something like "so you know Pochettino, you also like a pressing game right? Right?" "Er yeah sure..."

Been back about an hour after a rather enjoyable trip to Huddersfield. I'll just make a couple of points.

1) Nathan "Should have scored" Redmond should have scored, it was a sitter IMHO and whilst I'm usually a fan of his he was doing my nut today by coming inside instead of stretching the play.

2) Tadic, who is clearly a skillful player, is currently wa_nk.

3) Bertrand is a liability at the moment. He clearly doesn't want to be at SFC. Same could be said of Cedric.

4) Whilst we got a bit of a battering 1st half FF was never tested 2nd half and with a bit more bottle from the manager would have won.

5) MP fu_cked up by not bringing Boufal on as the last 20mins was screaming out for a player to run at a Huddersfield team who were clearly flagging and the game was there to be won.

6) Maya was majestic.

7) Going to a newly promoted club, on a high, was never going to be easy and I'd have taken a point at KO but we really ought have left with all 3.

8) I've seen nothing from MP to suggest he's going to be any better than CP.

9) A Microbrewery before a game is a dangerous thing.

Agree with this, although a little harsh on Cedric, he hasn't been brilliant but nowhere as disinterested as Bertrand

It annoys me that we don't play Tadic left and Redmond right (if they are going to play at all). Getting behind the defence and putting the ball across the goalface is much more dangerous, and although this may sound a bit of a weird thing to say, I also think it raises excitement in the ground, the atmosphere, and the momentum of the team. Even if no one gets on the end of a ball across the middle, or if it gets cleared, there's a sense of "we're getting closer", while cutting inside and eventually lofting a hopeful pass into the middle feels like we're out of ideas, bread and butter for PL defences unless the pass is inch perfect.

I don't think our overall game is very good at the moment, so maybe we should give or underperforming players (i.e. Tadic & Redmond) more basic roles. Go past it get some space against your man, put it on your stronger foot, and put the ball in the box. Gabbiadini would know it was the tactic and make gambling runs accordingly.

I'm not saying this should be the way forward for every game all season, more of an approach to get more out of our creative players who are currently struggling. Too much "safety" atm, and cutting inside compounds this. When the team/players start playing with a bit more cohesion and confidence, then mix it up and have players cutting in, but it's not working in this side that has forgotten what it means to score goals.

ironic thing is I said numerous times Tom Ince would be a good signing for Saints but got laughed at because he was a *championship player* well i'm sorry but that *championship player* ran rings around us today.....

Didn't run rings around us at all. Their most impressive player, was predictably, Mounie (with his presence) and Mooy in the middle. Kachunga got in behind us on a couple of occasions too.

ironic thing is I said numerous times Tom Ince would be a good signing for Saints but got laughed at because he was a *championship player* well i'm sorry but that *championship player* ran rings around us today.....

I think people probably laughed at you because 95% of everything that comes out of your month is ****, mush.

Tend to agree with you on this one though, a non goal scoring is exactly what we need. Its the only thing our side is currently missing.

Been back about an hour after a rather enjoyable trip to Huddersfield. I'll just make a couple of points.

1) Nathan "Should have scored" Redmond should have scored, it was a sitter IMHO and whilst I'm usually a fan of his he was doing my nut today by coming inside instead of stretching the play.

2) Tadic, who is clearly a skillful player, is currently wa_nk.

3) Bertrand is a liability at the moment. He clearly doesn't want to be at SFC. Same could be said of Cedric.

4) Whilst we got a bit of a battering 1st half FF was never tested 2nd half and with a bit more bottle from the manager would have won.

5) MP fu_cked up by not bringing Boufal on as the last 20mins was screaming out for a player to run at a Huddersfield team who were clearly flagging and the game was there to be won.

6) Maya was majestic.

7) Going to a newly promoted club, on a high, was never going to be easy and I'd have taken a point at KO but we really ought have left with all 3.

8) I've seen nothing from MP to suggest he's going to be any better than CP.

Agree with all this particularly Bertrand's body language. Something is not right behind the scenes because Redmond too is acting like a spoilt child and the players generally lack leadership. Was it the Grove you went to? A cracking real ale pub that offered 19 different bitters?

I'm not sure whether people actually believe what they are writing or just expressing frustration at another goalless draw. However, I think its a bit early to compare MoPe with Claude just yet. He's clearly trying to change the way the team plays SLOWLY (his words) and the players are very positive about his approach. There are signs that we are moving in the right direction and a little patience from everyone won't do any harm. As a team in transition, an unbeaten start is not to be sniffed at. And keeping all out players is also not a bad thing.

It annoys me that we don't play Tadic left and Redmond right (if they are going to play at all). Getting behind the defence and putting the ball across the goalface is much more dangerous, and although this may sound a bit of a weird thing to say, I also think it raises excitement in the ground, the atmosphere, and the momentum of the team. Even if no one gets on the end of a ball across the middle, or if it gets cleared, there's a sense of "we're getting closer", while cutting inside and eventually lofting a hopeful pass into the middle feels like we're out of ideas, bread and butter for PL defences unless the pass is inch perfect.

I don't think our overall game is very good at the moment, so maybe we should give or underperforming players (i.e. Tadic & Redmond) more basic roles. Go past it get some space against your man, put it on your stronger foot, and put the ball in the box. Gabbiadini would know it was the tactic and make gambling runs accordingly.

I'm not saying this should be the way forward for every game all season, more of an approach to get more out of our creative players who are currently struggling. Too much "safety" atm, and cutting inside compounds this. When the team/players start playing with a bit more cohesion and confidence, then mix it up and have players cutting in, but it's not working in this side that has forgotten what it means to score goals.

Tadic is only effective on the left, always been the case. Weird that again he doesn't get played there..Concerned about Blacks influence...

I'm not sure whether people actually believe what they are writing or just expressing frustration at another goalless draw. However, I think its a bit early to compare MoPe with Claude just yet. He's clearly trying to change the way the team plays SLOWLY (his words) and the players are very positive about his approach. There are signs that we are moving in the right direction and a little patience from everyone won't do any harm. As a team in transition, an unbeaten start is not to be sniffed at. And keeping all out players is also not a bad thing.

Yes but you have to take into account the teams we have played also....

We had much better players

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black still remains the bloody problem.

If you can't see it,you are blind.

He is one of the reasons are playing style and players are underperforming.

Until he goes we are in decline.

I don't care what any of you lot say.

He has a bigger influence than you think.

Remain in denial if you wish,I couldn't give a toss.

What evidence do you have for any of that? He isn't even assistant manager any more, so if anything his influence has decreased with Pellegrino bringing his own assistant in.

What evidence do you have for any of that? He isn't even assistant manager any more, so if anything his influence has decreased with Pellegrino bringing his own assistant in.

The evidence is that the same things are going wrong on the pitch this season as they were last and he is the only overlap in the first team training set up. He is the primary first team coach as I read his title and so to suggest he has no influence clearly isn't right. He's been associated with some teams in serious decline so I think it's only natural to be wary of him but, as none of us are actually on the training pitch, it's all speculation of course.

Nice post. Like your thinking. Might work, might not but good logic behind it...

mostly the same players, with some similar coaches...radical change would be unexpected...

Yes but you have to take into account the teams we have played also....

Fair point. I thought we were unlikely to ever see a team as bad as Swansea when they came here but then they go and beat Palace away (also in transition). West Ham admittedly should have been easier than it was but Huddersfield are playing really well at the moment under a top rate manager and yet to concede a goal against anyone! Still carrying that swaggering confidence that comes with promotion.

People moaning about body language ffs! Redmond and Bertrand are both moody as **** at the best of times, constantly arguing with each other on the pitch as well but best mates of it. Calm down and stop overreacting.

We're desperately short of a powerful direct wide attacking player (Mane?) or a dominant striker who would be capable of bringing our attacking midfielders into the game more (Pelle?). It's no coincidence our best passage of play (especially away) come when Long is on and he starts winning headers and holding the ball up a bit. It's just a shame he's awful technically and it's a shame that our best technical striker isn't capable of being a target man. We either need another striker or a wide attacking player who is capable of getting the ball and dragging us up the pitch and when we get up there is willing to do something different and have a shot. We're so short of ideas when we get the ball up top and end up just passing it around and letting their defence settle. We have one attacking idea which is the overlapping full backs. Soares final ball is awful and Bertrand has probably got the hump is our best attacking threat.

Did anybody watch the shooting practice yesterday before the game? It was like the keystone cops...

Observations rather than opinion:-

. Played against a side willing to press who tired in the second half giving us a little more space

. We have ability still to control ball in tight situations and make space

. We look for certainty rather than risk

. Final ball gets us into wing positions with nobody in centre

. Playing more as individuals now than team players holding ball and waiting for movement rather than anticipating

. Great running forward and we play him as a target man

. Too light weight getting pushed easily

. Body language shows team are clearly unhappy with something

. Can't really see change happening from last year tactics

. Defenders not attacking first ball and letting ball over head and retrieving

. Forster not able to read game and cut things out remember the Niemi and how he stopped things building, also not brave in way he comes out

Etc etc

Something has to give for things to change....

Did anybody watch the shooting practice yesterday before the game? It was like the keystone cops...

Etc etc

We've watched it at St Mary's and my son observed how woeful it has been, before adding when we used to watch Lambert in the pre-match ritual it was a question of which side he would score in as opposed to will it even be on target.Same could be said for a few of our players then, even in L1, but now it fills you with dread that some of them may even get in a goalscoring position during the match.

Thread yesterday about the poor atmosphere etc at matches, perhaps many witnessing the pre-match spectacle have lost the will by the time the match starts for real.

We've watched it at St Mary's and my son observed how woeful it has been, before adding when we used to watch Lambert in the pre-match ritual it was a question of which side he would score in as opposed to will it even be on target.Same could be said for a few of our players then, even in L1, but now it fills you with dread that some of them may even get in a goalscoring position during the match.

Thread yesterday about the poor atmosphere etc at matches, perhaps many witnessing the pre-match spectacle have lost the will by the time the match starts for real.

I sit in the itchen at st mary's and arrive a bit later so haven't seen the warm up for sometime. To start with I thought they were taking the pi**. This should be the final piece of weekly practice but some of them could hardly kick the ball with any conviction. Shocking....

It saddens me to say it but we're a dull uninspiring team watched by a dull fanbase at the moment, lost all the buzz we had from our promotion days , I can see why so many lads are gradually losing interest in going to the match

I sit in the itchen at st mary's and arrive a bit later so haven't seen the warm up for sometime. To start with I thought they were taking the pi**. This should be the final piece of weekly practice but some of them could hardly kick the ball with any conviction. Shocking....

Don't forget the goalkeeping ritual... someone posted a summary of that last season, in which they described it in detail complete with how often Watson stopped to adjust his blond locks.

I remember the good old days when the warm up was done in a 5 a side hall, and the first glimpse of the payers was at 2.55 when 10 would charge onto the pitch looking pumped up followed by what seemed a minute later by John McGrath with his shorts tucked up around his loins looking like he was wearing only a pair of black 'Y fronts' , but sleeves rolled up, giving the impression he wanted to rip the opposition centre forward limb from limb.

Can't see many of our pampered millionaires getting away with their sub-standard attitude with a few like John in the team.

If you don't give a toss then why are you posting for a response ?

The evidence is that the same things are going wrong on the pitch this season as they were last and he is the only overlap in the first team training set up. He is the primary first team coach as I read his title and so to suggest he has no influence clearly isn't right. He's been associated with some teams in serious decline so I think it's only natural to be wary of him but, as none of us are actually on the training pitch, it's all speculation of course.

Yes ... no. Is ... isn't. Certain ... maybe. Fact ... speculation.

Thanks for clearing that up.

:?

You don't want us to score? :?

The chances that we got were much better than last season. Honestly cannot comprehend comparisons between this season and last. Unbeaten in the league so far, creating high quality chances that should have been put away (Redmond, Bertrand). There is still a hangover from last season in the fans, but we need to get behind this team. Much improved.

The chances that we got were much better than last season. Honestly cannot comprehend comparisons between this season and last. Unbeaten in the league so far, creating high quality chances that should have been put away (Redmond, Bertrand). There is still a hangover from last season in the fans, but we need to get behind this team. Much improved.

That's a huge stretch...but I like your optimism.

That's a huge stretch...but I like your optimism.

We'll put it this way, I genuinely reckon under Puel we would've lost that one. Painful thing is we were so so close to going ahead twice. Would've been a different game imo. We wouldn't have had the two clear cut chances last season, just a few half chances. Annoying we cant put them away but we're not far off

Really enjoyed my day out in Hudds, still maintain it's one of the best away days in football. Great places to drink, decent ground and friendly away fans. In fact that only downside of the day was the football itself.

As anyone could've guessed Southampton nil (to give us our official name) didn't score, and if i'm honest had we snuck it in the last ten, which did seem possible, it would've been daylight f*cking robbery.

For the best part of the game Huddersfield outplayed us, and probably should've got something. Fortunately they seemed to have stolen our indecision and need to turn any good attacking opportunity into a chance to hoof the ball off the side of the pitch.

I must admit i'm starting to think our players have some sort of bet where they're not allowed to shoot until ever single one of them has touched the ball, and at least one has done a 40 yard hollywood pass for no good reason.

Few positives i will take though are lemina looked good, that this game will be the last time we attempt to play Yoshida and Stephens at the back and that MP can make some of the most baffling substitutions that i've seen in a long while.

Haha yeah, but was a cracking little spot! Got even messier after and i almost missed my train down as a result!!

Observations rather than opinion:-

. Played against a side willing to press who tired in the second half giving us a little more space

. We have ability still to control ball in tight situations and make space

. We look for certainty rather than risk

. Final ball gets us into wing positions with nobody in centre

. Playing more as individuals now than team players holding ball and waiting for movement rather than anticipating

. Great running forward and we play him as a target man

. Too light weight getting pushed easily

. Body language shows team are clearly unhappy with something

. Can't really see change happening from last year tactics

. Defenders not attacking first ball and letting ball over head and retrieving

. Forster not able to read game and cut things out remember the Niemi and how he stopped things building, also not brave in way he comes out

Etc etc

Yes - saw the shooting practice before the game. It was diabolical so no surprise we didn't score.

Which one did you go in? The Rat and Ratchet was very good - see earlier in the thread.. I stayed the night with friends near Halifax and many of the pubs had TT Landlord, so I was happy. It was a long drive back on the Sunday though, even if traffic was fine.

There's been a few OTT comments on here. It wasn't the worst game ever, we got a point and could have nicked it, but a draw was a reasonable result. We'd have done better against Arsenal, I reckon! There's still a confidence issue with the whole team, but I can see signs of snappier movement and forward passing, but only in patches. Huddersfield seemed to be relying on their team spirit and promotion momentum. Friendly fans though, and I hope they stay up. Suggestions for relegation.. West Ham? Crystal Palace? Arsenal? ;-)