Huddersfield 0 Saints 0 - Match Thread

Bad Wolf

utterly static in defence and attack ... barely a 50/50 or contested header won all game ... no end product from any of davis, redmond, JWP, Tadic, Cedric ... bertrand playing like he's in a rush to get home ... ack I don't mean to be such a sad sack but that was not very enjoyable. I have changed my view of the VvD situation - we should sell to fund 2 serious, key attacking midfield players ASAP.

lemina had an excellent game while he was on. the defence is just about solid enough - but so much of that game was played in the wrong half. long - for all his faults - improved the side today when he came on with his willing movement. jack stephens might be our best playmaker?

i'm a mess.

Scrappy in a sort of entertaining way though. I'd much rather we didn't look under threat from their attacks, but it certainly isn't a game at the moment that has "0-0 written all over it". Should probably whack a tenner on 0-0 now...

Yep. Should have put that £10 on.

Something needs to be done about Tadic and Bertrand. There's having a poor game, then there's sulking around doing **** all.

Also, wtf was with the subs?

Fair play to Huddersfield though. They played really well. Bags of energy and play a pressing style. Hope they stay up.

utterly static in defence and attack ... barely a 50/50 or contested header won all game ... no end product from any of davis, redmond, JWP, Tadic, Cedric ... bertrand playing like he's in a rush to get home ... ack I don't mean to be such a sad sack but that was not very enjoyable. I have changed my view of the VvD situation - we should sell to fund 2 serious, key attacking midfield players ASAP.

lemina had an excellent game while he was on. the defence is just about solid enough - but so much of that game was played in the wrong half. long - for all his faults - improved the side today when he came on with his willing movement. jack stephens might be our best playmaker?

i'm a mess.

You want us to sell VVD and but want to buy attacking midfielders but complain about the defence?

2nd half was better, It kinda went as I thought it would. Huddersfield tired, they weren't able to keep up their intensity. We got more of a grip on the game, but annoyingly didn't do enough. I thought we were much better with Long and that was a good sub. Huddersfield play a high line, he was stretching it after he came on and we were more of a threat.

But 2nd half was better, 1st half was pants from us. A point in the third game away at a newly promoted side is a positive, but still plenty to work on and still plenty to improve with. Work in progress, but we've got ourselves some decent foundations.

Reasons to be positive:

Performance wise, it will never, ever get worse than that

JWP is finished as a Prem footballer

We got the luckiest point in the history of professional football

Jeez, get a grip. You surely haven't been supporting Saints for very long if you think that was the luckiest point .................

Reasonable display today. I'd have taken a point before against a team high on confidence.

Our finishing is still very much letting us down. Bertand header, Redmond shot wide etc. Those are the things in tight away games that make the difference between a point and 3 points.

Defence was pretty solid. Yoshida and Stephens dealt with everything. Stephens had one lovely moment coming out with the ball at the end of the first half.

Lemina, Romeu and Davis were all good. I assume fitness is why Lemina came off.

Thought Long made a difference when he came on. Should have started for me.

Tadic & Redmond not great today.

A million miles better with long on but no idea why the last 2 subs were what they were, especially with Austin and boufal on the bench.

Need far better linkage between defence and attack, partially with the full backs getting forward more and also better passing from Davis

Lemina pretty good whilst he was on

2 top saves from Forster (even if one shouldn't have needed to be made)

We improved a fair bit as Huddersfield took their foot off the gas and Pellegrino's substitutions were smart, but that wasn't an encouraging performance even in the brighter moments. Lemina looks a player though.

So far we've been playing better whenever Ward-Prowse is on the pitch. He keeps us moving and pops up everywhere to link play or defend. He can't be a permanent solution in the front line but has to be in with a shout of starting when Redmond and Tadic are out of sorts.

Edited by DuncanRG

Not a great performance but respect the point.

Perhaps Long should have started given they like to press high? Kind of pub side that he thrives against.

I did wonder if he would have been a good starter today, but having someone like him up your sleeve when a team like Huddersfield tire isn't a bad option and he took advantage of that once he came on. Right subs I think.