Man United Build-Up

Saint_lambden

I think as has been mentioned numerous times on here, going three at the back with wing backs is the only sensible way to play against them with the form they're in at the moment. Surrendering the possession war shouldn't have as much consequence if Fellaini is replacing Pogba as he is a far more limited player creatively. If they play Herrera though we might need to put more focus on winning the midfield battle possession wise as he is a lot more technical. Admittedly I would say most of us on here are more technical than old 'elbows first ask questions later', but I digress.

Playing on the counter requires pace in the 10 role, or failing that, someone who is willing to play the ball quickly. That's why I would keep Davis in the side ahead of Tadic as he seems a lot more dynamic than Tadic at the moment. Tadic just seems to take an age to pick his pass, by which time the move has lost its momentum. In games where we are in control he is the better option as he has a touch more flair; but for a gritty, home team plays like the away team game like I expect this one will be, the Northern Irishman gets the nod for his tenacity.

I'm torn as to whether to play Gabbiadini or Long up front. Gabbiadini has form against United, but Long will be better feeding off scraps and putting in more of a defensive shift. Also, as someone previously mentioned, getting under Matic's skin could be key and Long is great at that side of the game. Austin as a late sub would be a good option on the bench for this one.

The last spot in the side is tricky. I don't think two up top is the answer as five at the back will already leave us shy of the ball without potentially being overrun in midfield, so a second attacking midfielder would be my pick. Do we play Boufal in the hope that he comes good on the big occasion? I feel that's asking for trouble as his tendency to get frustrated and his low defensive work rate aren't going to be offset by his potential creativity as he won't get much space or time on the ball in this type of match.

That really leaves us considering two potential options. We can either stick with Redmond for his burst of pace and better dribbling, or go for JWP due to the fact that his set piece delivery, though over-hyped, is the best we have. With so many tall guys like Hoedt, Van Dijk and Lemina as well as good jumpers like Romeu, Long and Yoshida, we could get some joy from dead balls. As much as he was poor against Palace, though, I'd stick with Redmond. I just feel that they have such a big side physically that the gain from JWP's corners and free kicks isn't worth his lack of mobility in open play. Hopefully Redmond will raise his game like in the semi final legs last season and against City where he was a menace playing in a defensive formation.

Lineup:

--------------------Forster---------------------

-----Yoshida------Van Dijk------Hoedt--------

Cedric---------------------------------Bertrand

-------------Lemina-----Romeu----------------

------Davis-----------------------Redmond----

---------------------Long-----------------------

The strengths of this formation are obviously the solidity it can provide and that we can fit more of our best players into the team what with them all being defenders or holding midfielders. The fact that we can adjust to 5-3-2 easily if we're chasing the game and they're sat deep is useful too.

The weaknesses of this formation are obviously that it's narrowness means a lot of pressure is on the wing backs to have a good game going forward and defensively. Hopefully Cedric and Bertrand are up to the task because if not we will have an even tougher game on our hands playing with this set up. There's also the risk of Long being too isolated if Redmond doesn't position himself correctly or Davis has a bad game.

All in all though it's one of those games where any points will be a bonus as they're on fire. For me it's more about the performance and attitude of the players. Even if we lose, so long as we give them a tough match I'll go away pleased enough.

I realise that someone has already taken the p!ss out of this post but I am quite impressed by your football knowledge and reasoning !

A 'like' from me !

I have genuinely just seen Boufal in the kebab shop in Weeke, north Winchester so I’ll be surprised if he’s involved tomorrow. His mate left with 2 pizzas and Boufal had some polystyrene cartons that normally hold kebab meat or chip specials :-)

Interesting. It does have good reviews online, that place. However, if all he had was the polystyrene cartons then he's going to have gut rot tomorrow, so I agree he's unlikely to be involved. Oh and by the way, Weeke is more West Winchester. Kingsworthy is north. I am in the south. :)

I'd like to see this on Saturday, solid defence and midfield. Cedric and Bertrand with the width and more option up top with Long and Gabbiadini 3c43b7ab17d9b44cfde742d393801eb8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm hoping to see something like this...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Better bloody not be.... saints fans hopefully made plans for a diversion and can arrive on time. Sod the Man U fans they can sit on the coach all bloody day for all I care.

I remember going to OT in 1999 and the same thing happened. Didn’t delay kick off and we arrived at half time.

Unlikely seeing as MoPe has ruled out playing two up top. I except we will go with the same team and formation as we played against Palace, try to go toe to toe with United, and get humped like Everton.

Unless it is set up as a 3-4-3 with a bit of fluidity? Not saying it would work particularly, for the record I honestly don't see us stopping Utd however we set up! All three of Gabbi, Long, and Tadic can manage wide or central though would not fancy seeing Tadic playing through the middle of the three unless as a 'false nine' or similar.

Especially against the pace and power of utd, I had glimmer of hope with the suggested wing backs , really not sure now, seems as people have said mope stuck in a 1 formation ruck regardless of opposition

suggested wing backs only appears to be a sainstweb thing.

not sure people got into that, last time we used wing backs was two managers ago