Man United Build-Up

Saint_lambden

With the club’s current forwards – Shane Long, Manolo Gabbiadini and Charlie Austin – contributing just one goal from open play in the last 18 games in all competitions – that’s 27 hours of football, Pellegrino needs to find the right man to lead the line for Saints and fast.

This comes as Saints prepare to take on United, who have the joint-best defence in the Premier League alongside neighbours Manchester City, having conceded just two goals in five games.

Source: http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/15547606.Pellegrino_s_striker_dilemma/?ref=rss

Same team that played against Palace for me. If VVD was a few more weeks down the line I'd put him in against Lukaku.

0-0 at half time, 0-2 final scoreline, hard fought, respectable defeat.

Palace team with Gabbi for Redmond. Redmond offered nothing at Palace and needs to be benched and needs to start to show what he can do when given opportunities before being handed unlimited starts with very little return. Tadic was much better last week hopefully he can push on. Tough game and unfortunately comes with Utd on a roll and us still rebuilding. A respectable 0-2 with us forcing De Gea into a couple of meaningful saves would be a step in the right direction.

Having been at Palace last week, my first game since WBA away last year, I am happy to say that reports of our demise have been greatly exaggerated. In Hoedt/Lemina/(+Gabbi) we look to have added some real PL quality, definite green shoots, we just need to find a way to integrate two of Long/Gabbi/Austin into the starting 11 and get a tune out of Tadic and we will be fine.

Palace team with Gabbi for Redmond. Redmond offered nothing at Palace and needs to be benched and needs to start to show what he can do when given opportunities before being handed unlimited starts with very little return. Tadic was much better last week hopefully he can push on. Tough game and unfortunately comes with Utd on a roll and us still rebuilding. A respectable 0-2 with us forcing De Gea into a couple of meaningful saves would be a step in the right direction.

Having been at Palace last week, my first game since WBA away last year, I am happy to say that reports of our demise have been greatly exaggerated. In Hoedt/Lemina/(+Gabbi) we look to have added some real PL quality, definite green shoots, we just need to find a way to integrate two of Long/Gabbi/Austin into the starting 11 and get a tune out of Tadic and we will be fine.

I'd be inclined to agree with that, I thought Redmond was poor against Palace and I'd like to see Gabbiadini cutting in and shooting, however Redmond does work hard tracking back and winning the ball back, don't think Gabbiadini would do as much and that might be important against a side like United.

Same team that played against Palace for me. If VVD was a few more weeks down the line I'd put him in against Lukaku.

Agree - apart from I'd put him in, give him the challenge. Also agree - a plucky defeat, unfortunately.

I'd like to see this on Saturday, solid defence and midfield. Cedric and Bertrand with the width and more option up top with Long and Gabbiadini 3c43b7ab17d9b44cfde742d393801eb8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If we were going with five, that would be my line-up too. Think the formation is solid enough to accommodate Tadic rather than Davis and there’s enough pace in Long and a more advanced Cedric and Bertrand that you can dispense with Redmond.

How did stoke line up / play tactically against them?

I'd get Long and Gabbiadini in and around Jones as much as possible and someone clever to get Matic sent off!

We probably need 3 at the back but not if it means surrendering posession. Such a shame that we don't have much pace in the team anymore. Long and Sims is all we have, and Sims is injured :(

You're not the first offender, this "in and around" phrase is now common analysis.

What does it mean?

I think as has been mentioned numerous times on here, going three at the back with wing backs is the only sensible way to play against them with the form they're in at the moment. Surrendering the possession war shouldn't have as much consequence if Fellaini is replacing Pogba as he is a far more limited player creatively. If they play Herrera though we might need to put more focus on winning the midfield battle possession wise as he is a lot more technical. Admittedly I would say most of us on here are more technical than old 'elbows first ask questions later', but I digress.

Playing on the counter requires pace in the 10 role, or failing that, someone who is willing to play the ball quickly. That's why I would keep Davis in the side ahead of Tadic as he seems a lot more dynamic than Tadic at the moment. Tadic just seems to take an age to pick his pass, by which time the move has lost its momentum. In games where we are in control he is the better option as he has a touch more flair; but for a gritty, home team plays like the away team game like I expect this one will be, the Northern Irishman gets the nod for his tenacity.

I'm torn as to whether to play Gabbiadini or Long up front. Gabbiadini has form against United, but Long will be better feeding off scraps and putting in more of a defensive shift. Also, as someone previously mentioned, getting under Matic's skin could be key and Long is great at that side of the game. Austin as a late sub would be a good option on the bench for this one.

The last spot in the side is tricky. I don't think two up top is the answer as five at the back will already leave us shy of the ball without potentially being overrun in midfield, so a second attacking midfielder would be my pick. Do we play Boufal in the hope that he comes good on the big occasion? I feel that's asking for trouble as his tendency to get frustrated and his low defensive work rate aren't going to be offset by his potential creativity as he won't get much space or time on the ball in this type of match.

That really leaves us considering two potential options. We can either stick with Redmond for his burst of pace and better dribbling, or go for JWP due to the fact that his set piece delivery, though over-hyped, is the best we have. With so many tall guys like Hoedt, Van Dijk and Lemina as well as good jumpers like Romeu, Long and Yoshida, we could get some joy from dead balls. As much as he was poor against Palace, though, I'd stick with Redmond. I just feel that they have such a big side physically that the gain from JWP's corners and free kicks isn't worth his lack of mobility in open play. Hopefully Redmond will raise his game like in the semi final legs last season and against City where he was a menace playing in a defensive formation.

Lineup:

--------------------Forster---------------------

-----Yoshida------Van Dijk------Hoedt--------

Cedric---------------------------------Bertrand

-------------Lemina-----Romeu----------------

------Davis-----------------------Redmond----

---------------------Long-----------------------

The strengths of this formation are obviously the solidity it can provide and that we can fit more of our best players into the team what with them all being defenders or holding midfielders. The fact that we can adjust to 5-3-2 easily if we're chasing the game and they're sat deep is useful too.

The weaknesses of this formation are obviously that it's narrowness means a lot of pressure is on the wing backs to have a good game going forward and defensively. Hopefully Cedric and Bertrand are up to the task because if not we will have an even tougher game on our hands playing with this set up. There's also the risk of Long being too isolated if Redmond doesn't position himself correctly or Davis has a bad game.

All in all though it's one of those games where any points will be a bonus as they're on fire. For me it's more about the performance and attitude of the players. Even if we lose, so long as we give them a tough match I'll go away pleased enough.

I think as has been mentioned numerous times on here, going three at the back with wing backs is the only sensible way to play against them with the form they're in at the moment. Surrendering the possession war shouldn't have as much consequence if Fellaini is replacing Pogba as he is a far more limited player creatively. If they play Herrera though we might need to put more focus on winning the midfield battle possession wise as he is a lot more technical. Admittedly I would say most of us on here are more technical than old 'elbows first ask questions later', but I digress.

Playing on the counter requires pace in the 10 role, or failing that, someone who is willing to play the ball quickly. That's why I would keep Davis in the side ahead of Tadic as he seems a lot more dynamic than Tadic at the moment. Tadic just seems to take an age to pick his pass, by which time the move has lost its momentum. In games where we are in control he is the better option as he has a touch more flair; but for a gritty, home team plays like the away team game like I expect this one will be, the Northern Irishman gets the nod for his tenacity.

I'm torn as to whether to play Gabbiadini or Long up front. Gabbiadini has form against United, but Long will be better feeding off scraps and putting in more of a defensive shift. Also, as someone previously mentioned, getting under Matic's skin could be key and Long is great at that side of the game. Austin as a late sub would be a good option on the bench for this one.

The last spot in the side is tricky. I don't think two up top is the answer as five at the back will already leave us shy of the ball without potentially being overrun in midfield, so a second attacking midfielder would be my pick. Do we play Boufal in the hope that he comes good on the big occasion? I feel that's asking for trouble as his tendency to get frustrated and his low defensive work rate aren't going to be offset by his potential creativity as he won't get much space or time on the ball in this type of match.

That really leaves us considering two potential options. We can either stick with Redmond for his burst of pace and better dribbling, or go for JWP due to the fact that his set piece delivery, though over-hyped, is the best we have. With so many tall guys like Hoedt, Van Dijk and Lemina as well as good jumpers like Romeu, Long and Yoshida, we could get some joy from dead balls. As much as he was poor against Palace, though, I'd stick with Redmond. I just feel that they have such a big side physically that the gain from JWP's corners and free kicks isn't worth his lack of mobility in open play. Hopefully Redmond will raise his game like in the semi final legs last season and against City where he was a menace playing in a defensive formation.

Lineup:

--------------------Forster---------------------

-----Yoshida------Van Dijk------Hoedt--------

Cedric---------------------------------Bertrand

-------------Lemina-----Romeu----------------

------Davis-----------------------Redmond----

---------------------Long-----------------------

The strengths of this formation are obviously the solidity it can provide and that we can fit more of our best players into the team what with them all being defenders or holding midfielders. The fact that we can adjust to 5-3-2 easily if we're chasing the game and they're sat deep is useful too.

The weaknesses of this formation are obviously that it's narrowness means a lot of pressure is on the wing backs to have a good game going forward and defensively. Hopefully Cedric and Bertrand are up to the task because if not we will have an even tougher game on our hands playing with this set up. There's also the risk of Long being too isolated if Redmond doesn't position himself correctly or Davis has a bad game.

All in all though it's one of those games where any points will be a bonus as they're on fire. For me it's more about the performance and attitude of the players. Even if we lose, so long as we give them a tough match I'll go away pleased enough.

I’m guessing you don’t have a day job?

i am of the opinion VVD needs to start. It's kinda why we put our foot down this summer, no? He needs to be on the pitch.

Mourinho in his press conference saying that he hasn't seen a significant change in how Southampton play under Pochettino, Koeman, Puel and now under Pellegrino, and because of that consistency we are a very good club to be a manager at. Pah, what does he know compared to the SWF intelligentsia....? ;)

Edited by trousers

Mourinho in his press conference saying that he hasn't seen a significant change in how Southampton play under Pochettino, Koeman, Puel and now under Pellegrino, and because of that consistency we are a very good club to be a manager at. Pah, what does he know compared to the SWF intelligentsia....? ;)

would suggest, unsurprisingly, he doesn't watch us much...

I'd like to see this on Saturday, solid defence and midfield. Cedric and Bertrand with the width and more option up top with Long and Gabbiadini 3c43b7ab17d9b44cfde742d393801eb8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

There isn't any point in putting Long upfront. His strength is his speed stretching defences tomato space for others to score.

If we were going with five, that would be my line-up too. Think the formation is solid enough to accommodate Tadic rather than Davis and there’s enough pace in Long and a more advanced Cedric and Bertrand that you can dispense with Redmond.

Bring back Long alongside Tad. 3-4-2-1