Huddersfield Big game Build up

Dazza82

If Pellegrino is still in charge, I expect us to lost 1-0 conceding after the 80th minute. No sign of him in the video, hopefully he has been sacked already.

Yep, we'll huff and puff and see plenty of the ball, and then they'll score right after another badly taken corner for us. Probably a 25 yarder that FF will take forever to dive for...

Apologies if posted elsewhere but Zanka is buying every Udders fan who goes to saints a free beer. It's going to cost him £8k but he is buying legend status for that. This is the togetherness we will be facing on Sat and frankly I could never see any of our players replicating such a gesture. Still hope they lose but Udders are a team to be admired..

Apologies if posted elsewhere but Zanka is buying every Udders fan who goes to saints a free beer. It's going to cost him £8k but he is buying legend status for that. This is the togetherness we will be facing on Sat and frankly I could never see any of our players replicating such a gesture. Still hope they lose but Udders are a team to be admired..

Never underestimate the opposition. Saints should know that. Over the years we have been written off by the likes of Manure and Scousehampton, but delivered bloody noses, especially in the 80's and 90's.

Arrogance and complacency are two of our worst enemies and they have crept into this club like a stealthy intruder. I warned of this but was ignored or ridiculed.

I struggle to understand MP and his team selections unless he is told to play 4 2 3 1 , our best team selection and strongest stand out a mile for me especially now jack stevens has come back in good form .

he hit on the correct formation at city .....and then went back to his normal crap .

3 at the back ......when VVD leaves yoshi hoydt and stephens

two wings backs bombing forward when they can to make a 4 of attackers .......bertrand and cedric first choice , JWP, pied and targett as back ups.

TWO AM Tadic and Boufal first choice .....Redmond , Sims |Gabbandini and Hesketh (who when fit will fit this position perfectly IMHO

Upfront your in form striker ......Austin ....followed by Gabba , Long , and we really should get Gallagher back , he has the basic qualities we need 6 4 and very pacy .....coach him and he will do a good job.

Pick it and stick with it , STOP CHOPPING AND CHANGING let the players get used to the formation and goals will come as will fluidity and tempo .

Until this happens we are gonna be inconsistant and crap attacking IMHO

Never underestimate the opposition. Saints should know that. Over the years we have been written off by the likes of Manure and Scousehampton, but delivered bloody noses, especially in the 80's and 90's.

Arrogance and complacency are two of our worst enemies and they have crept into this club like a stealthy intruder. I warned of this but was ignored or ridiculed.

Listen up Dalek - two things the Club aren't guilty of are arrogance and complacency. A hasty policy to sell off valued players and not replace them with anything like a similar quality is one major failing of Reed and his merry men. Another failing has been the indecisiveness and delay in appointing good coaches and managers, and in Puel and Pellegrino's case, indecisiveness and delay in replacing them. SFC executive were much too quick to concede the strong position we were in with a miscalculated assessment of the Academy; the trumpeting of the likes of Redmond, Ward-Prowse et al and the poor and delayed recruitment when it was obvious we needed replacements at CB, striker and attacking midfield. Nothing to do with arrogance or complacency - just poor decision making and lack of leadership at executive level.

Genuinely can't imagine one of our current team doing that (maybe Austin or Stephens at a push). Bristol City showed last night what hard work and togetherness can produce - unfortunately our "stars" have neither worked hard nor been together in the dressing room for the best part of two seasons now. We remind me of Villa on their decline - had been very good and pushed the top 6/4 to the envy of the rest of the league before a steady decline in quality did for them. We aren't quite at their level yet but well on the way.

Apologies if posted elsewhere but Zanka is buying every Udders fan who goes to saints a free beer. It's going to cost him £8k but he is buying legend status for that.

Is that beer from the concourse outlets? If so, is second prize two beers....? #dishwater

Ah, fair enough. Let's hope their stadium beer is of a better quality than ours! :)

Well, I didn't bother with the stadium beer on my visit there this year, but found plenty of decent stuff in a local brew-pub and then the station bar. Nicely mellow by the time the game came along. I thing I may well do the same this Saturday, it might be necessary..

Listen up Dalek - two things the Club aren't guilty of are arrogance and complacency. A hasty policy to sell off valued players and not replace them with anything like a similar quality is one major failing of Reed and his merry men. Another failing has been the indecisiveness and delay in appointing good coaches and managers, and in Puel and Pellegrino's case, indecisiveness and delay in replacing them. SFC executive were much too quick to concede the strong position we were in with a miscalculated assessment of the Academy; the trumpeting of the likes of Redmond, Ward-Prowse et al and the poor and delayed recruitment when it was obvious we needed replacements at CB, striker and attacking midfield. Nothing to do with arrogance or complacency - just poor decision making and lack of leadership at executive level.

Sounds like a very good definition of complacency myself.

Zero chance of that, we waited weeks to sack Puel without a replacement.

Because they spent a significant amount of time trying to persuade Tuchel. They spoke to a few managers in the time following sacking Puel and appointing MP.

Because they spent a significant amount of time trying to persuade Tuchel. They spoke to a few managers in the time following sacking Puel and appointing MP.

Can understand that but would have been better to guarantee an upgrade on CP before pulling the trigger so that we weren’t left feeding on scraps and appointing the only half decent (so it looked at the time), unemployed manager on the market.

Time invested in Tuchel or not, the way we went about replacing Puel in the summer appears to have been a complete c*ck up.

Can understand that but would have been better to guarantee an upgrade on CP before pulling the trigger so that we weren’t left feeding on scraps and appointing the only half decent (so it looked at the time), unemployed manager on the market.

Time invested in Tuchel or not, the way we went about replacing Puel in the summer appears to have been a complete c*ck up.

I think that was the very problem. It was widely expected that Puel would be going yet the club (seemed to) delay the firing. Very likely they were sifting through candidates (or constantly phoning Tuchel) before releasing Puel.

If they appointed Pellegrino, were the other manager's we spoke to Wigley, Gray and Branfoot?

Even then it would be a toss of the coin.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42441659

Lawro thinks 1-1.

But the worrying line is from Craig David. Has he seen any of our games?

I personally think Saints boss Mauricio Pellegrino is doing great. I mean he has arrived as our manager and has had to work out very quickly what the philosophy of the club is, and how it plays, and get the respect of the players as well.

:scared:

Have we agreed to it? I remember when Cortese wanted to buy every saints fan a beer at Plymouth away but those killjoys down in Devon refused his kind offer. The fact he wanted to do such a generous thing always made him a legend in my eyes.

Have we agreed to it? I remember when Cortese wanted to buy every saints fan a beer at Plymouth away but those killjoys down in Devon refused his kind offer. The fact he wanted to do such a generous thing always made him a legend in my eyes.

IIRC they get a token from being at the game on Sat and then hand it at the bars at their next home game.

We do definitely have a high opinion of ourselves and that is arrogance. We - as in Reed and the chairman preach a lot about the Southampton way as if we are superior in some way...

We are not and those two are !

Lose this and MP has to go.

He has to play his best players and Virgil owes us a couple of godlike performances before he offskis...

Personally, I would be doing everything in my power to get Brendan Rodgers. His time at Celtic is coming to an end, it’s a nothing League (no offence) but my mum could win the league up there without a Celtic.

I really don't understand this love fest with Brendan Rodgers. You say it yourself....any muppet could win the Scottish league with Celtic...it's a **** poor league.

I totally despise Rodgers and his past remarks after raiding our club of talent (tapping them up) makes him a definite NO!

Lose this and MP has to go.

He has to play his best players and Virgil owes us a couple of godlike performances before he offskis...

Personally, I would be doing everything in my power to get Brendan Rodgers. His time at Celtic is coming to an end, it’s a nothing League (no offence) but my mum could win the league up there without a Celtic.

I really don't understand this love fest with Brendan Rodgers. You say it yourself....any muppet could win the Scottish league with Celtic...it's a **** poor league.

I totally despise Rodgers and his past remarks after raiding our club of talent (tapping them up) makes him a definite NO!

All allowed an opinion, I respect yours. So tell me, who else is there?!

It’s scrapping the barrel time.

True, but could any muppet take them on a 69 game unbeaten run? Celtic are by far the best team north of the boarder, but Brendan has taken them to the next level, like him or not. Also, you cannot ignore what he done with Swansea and Liverpool (to a degree).

As for his comments, yeah, he probably shouldn't have said them but they've pretty much all turned out to be true. Our ambition did change once Cortese left, like it or not.

As for tapping up, i'm not sure you can blame him for that? as we've seen over the past few months, Liverpool Football Club are pretty much a disgrace when it comes to things like that. As i'm sure many other clubs are as well.

Brendan won't leave Celtic mid-season anyway, so its all irrelevant.

True, but could any muppet take them on a 69 game unbeaten run? Celtic are by far the best team north of the boarder, but Brendan has taken them to the next level, like him or not. Also, you cannot ignore what he done with Swansea and Liverpool (to a degree).

As for his comments, yeah, he probably shouldn't have said them but they've pretty much all turned out to be true. Our ambition did change once Cortese left, like it or not.

As for tapping up, i'm not sure you can blame him for that? as we've seen over the past few months, Liverpool Football Club are pretty much a disgrace when it comes to things like that. As i'm sure many other clubs are as well.

Brendan won't leave Celtic mid-season anyway, so its all irrelevant.

This next level you mention, where is it?

He did/does no more than he should in the Scottish premier and will win it easily as Celtic have virtually no challengers and as for the CL,

they are out before group stages as always and will get nowhere in the EL.

This next level you mention, where is it?

He did/does no more than he should in the Scottish premier and will win it easily as Celtic have virtually no challengers and as for the CL,

they are out before group stages as always and will get nowhere in the EL.

69 games unbeaten, that's the next level. How many other Celtic managers have done that? you can slag off the Scottish league all you like as it is very very poor, but he has achieved something no other manager has done for them. He went up there to dominate, and that he has done.

I don't know how much football you watch, other than saints, but they weren't out before the group stages? They came 3rd in a group of Bayern Munich, PSG and Anderlecht. They only won 1 game, but in all honesty, how do you think we (with a much bigger budget and better squad) would fair in that group? Given our dubious previous performances in Europe, I think we'd probably only win 1 game as well.

Given their squad / budget, I think 3rd, and EL football, is probably something they targeted once the group was drawn and would be considered a decent result for them. I don't know if you are suggesting that they should win the EL? If you are, you are outright stupid given some of the teams in it.

I don't like the guy, however, I really rate him as a manager and would take him in a heartbeat. He wouldn't come here though

IMHO:

-----------------------------McCarthy-----------------------------

-----------Yoshida-----------Van Dijk-----------Hoedt-----------

---------(Stephens)----------(Hoedt)---------(Yoshida)---------

Ward-Prowse-------Romeu---------Hojbjerg---------McQueen

-----------Gabbiadini--------------------------Boufal-----------

------------------------------Austin------------------------------

I’m not sure if Van Dijk will play for us again, so I’ve suggested alternative back 3s.

I don’t think our reserve full-backs are good enough defenders, so I’d go with a back 3 with attacking wing-backs who won’t need to defend too much.

I’m generally a fan of Steven Davis, but I think his position is the one to sacrifice to fit in a third centre-half.

I’d like to see Gabbi tried on the right, so long as someone actually notices his runs and passes to him!

Austin picks himself now and we simply have to give McCarthy a try. If he’s that bad, we must buy a decent Premier League ready keeper in early January.

Prediction 4-1 or 0-3 depending on the players’ attitude. I’ve got a feeling it won’t be close.

In all honesty i'm struggling to think of anyone that fits the being realistic list at the moment.

I don't think we are as attractive a club as we were 18 months ago....I still don't know what our Chinese owners have brought to the table and i'm sure that potentially puts of many managers out there (or do managers we have spoken to know there is no big transfer kitty and it is a case of sell before you buy. If that is the case we will struggle to attract any real names and will always be bargain basement shopping Ala our current manager!)

If we sack MP anytime soon then i will be genuinely surprised and genuinely fearful of who we might get into replace him.....and it's not because i rate MP because i don't.

All allowed an opinion, I respect yours. So tell me, who else is there?!

It’s scrapping the barrel time.

Fascinating point in the clubs history. Lose tomorrow and I think we will go down and have to go through a major rebuild over five years before returning to the Premier League. Part of the inevitable cycle.

If we win, we may scramble to safety and then will have to have a major overhaul in the summer.

We live in interesting times.

This is a huge game for us and a must win game!

Also it looks as though both Cedric and Bertrand will be out for the majority of the Xmas period.

Team for me in this one

11a99bb165f9ed19a0658029ae616025.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Let’s face it .... Tadic will be on the right where he is non existent ditto Redmond on the left.

If this happens again then Pellegrino should be sacked - end of ....

Edited by captainchris

Just read that Pellegrino says he will rotate again right through the next few games. This guy is just to ‘clever’

He does not need to rotate, we are out of the league cup and have been for months. Players need to gel and when they do he changes it all again immediately. He hasn’t repeated the line up since beating Everton even! He is just off the pace and full of his own importance.

Edited by captainchris

I don't believe anyone picking McCarthy has actually seen him play. This 'must be better than Forster' thing is a ridiculous assumption.

Forster is limited, he's horribly slow to move around his goal and that's why Chelsea free kick would have been saved by most premier league keepers. But Forster remains capable of keeping clean sheets now and again. He's in the bottom 5 for premier league starters definitely, but McCarthy is several levels below. Awful signing.

He must be if he's not even considered as a potential starter for us.

I don't believe anyone picking McCarthy has actually seen him play. This 'must be better than Forster' thing is a ridiculous assumption.

Forster is limited, he's horribly slow to move around his goal and that's why Chelsea free kick would have been saved by most premier league keepers. But Forster remains capable of keeping clean sheets now and again. He's in the bottom 5 for premier league starters definitely, but McCarthy is several levels below. Awful signing.

You may well be right. That was kind of my point.

Either McCarthy is a capable Premier League ready keeper (in which case it’s surely time to give him a game) or he isn’t (in which case there’s no point having him here and we must buy an upgrade in January who we’d be happy to pick to play if Forster doesn’t improve).