Hojbjerg: Official - Signs for Spurs

ecuk268

41 minutes ago, Red said:

What being rude got to do with the price of fish?

This is a forum for opinions - if you don't like mine just ignore it! However don't be ignorant enough to think everyone has to think like you. Appreciate it's not your money so you probably don't give a hoot, but I do not want the club I support being taken advantage of (neither does the club BTW - and yes I know for a fact - again believe or not I don't really care!)

What you're missing is that Everton may have offered more, but Hojbjerg didn't want to go there. End of.

8 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Spurs fan on another forum reckons he'll be their sole defensive midfielder allowing them to play two attacking midfielders with freedom 🤔

Anyone else thinking there could be some shambolic displays in Spurs midfield next season?

I certainly feel their fan base have been deluded into believing he's someone he's not. It's not helped by those completely inaccurate sky sports articles either. I imagine you'll see him with Lo Celso in midfield and maybe Winks? That all feels a bit samey to me, might be wrong...but I can't see Mourinho lasting too long there, his methods and approach to the game are dated.

We've done rather well without him lately. Just a commodity player to buy and sell when the timing suits.

He'll get more publicity at Spurs than he did here which may turn out to be a poison chalice.

I'd rate his time here as OK-ish. Will he be missed? Doubt it. My computer will he happy that it doesn't have to predict his name every day.

43 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

What you're missing is that Everton may have offered more, but Hojbjerg didn't want to go there. End of.

Fair point and get we didn't have much choice, but my point was PEH (any remember the pop up sweets?) is not the die hard loyal Saints player some are claiming him to be. He did what was in his interest (as you say end of) - might have been more subtle than others but still manipulated Saints to his own end. I don't dislike him but he is no hero to Saints - that's all.

Club feel disappointed by his attitude as well - hence the merest mention in the KWP announcement. Still that's the modern world of football I guess?. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Red said:

Fair point and get we didn't have much choice, but my point was PEH (any remember the pop up sweets?) is not the die hard loyal Saints player some are claiming him to be. He did what was in his interest (as you say end of) - might have been more subtle than others but still manipulated Saints to his own end. I don't dislike him but he is no hero to Saints - that's all.

Club feel disappointed by his attitude as well - hence the merest mention in the KWP announcement. Still that's the modern world of football I guess?. 

Yes, but I remember them as PEZ sweets. ;)

9 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Yes, but I remember them as PEZ sweets. ;)

Yep - you're right! Just my senility catching up with me. Remember buying a ton of then as an excuse to ask the girl in the news shop out - finally plucked the courage and all went well for a year or so until I moved to Uni and she dumped me for a local lad - no such thing as loyalty even in those days  🙂 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Spurs fan on another forum reckons he'll be their sole defensive midfielder allowing them to play two attacking midfielders with freedom 🤔

Anyone else thinking there could be some shambolic displays in Spurs midfield next season?

Time will tell.  Jose wants to play him in a role he’s not really played for us before.

23 hours ago, angelman said:

So PEH should really have gone to Everton just to suit Southampton Football Club and screw him and his future ???   😶

You are talking Spurs here, they know how to really play the game. I agree with Red as he has cost us a potential higher pot as he made it plain he only wanted to go to Spurs. Threfore our hand was weak, thus costing us our bargaining chips. Isn't PEH with the same agent as Jose? I suspect it was all a cunning plan with the gent , player and Spurs carving up the money we may have got

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/2020/august/new-signing-hojbjerg-i-feel-lucky-and-i-still-want-to-learn/?utm_source=premier-league-website&utm_campaign=website&utm_medium=link

“I like to bring energy and wins, hopefully!”

but don’t worry, he’s does a cracking post defeat rally call interview if you lose badly.

Edited by Turkish

18 hours ago, Turkish said:

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/2020/august/new-signing-hojbjerg-i-feel-lucky-and-i-still-want-to-learn/?utm_source=premier-league-website&utm_campaign=website&utm_medium=link

“I like to bring energy and wins, hopefully!”

but don’t worry, he’s does a cracking post defeat rally call interview if you lose badly.

Glad they let him show his arm of tattoos off in the pics. That will reassure a lot of their fan base that its money well spent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They keep saying it's his 'first game', but what they need to realise is that was him. He won't get any better or any worse than that, that was his default performance.

Sideways, backwards, silly fouls, under hit passes and little forward penetration. The media have built it up so they expect some sort of mega forward thinking midfielder, but he's like a poor mans Morgan Schniderlin.

I messaged my Spurs supporting friend yesterday to ask if he enjoyed Hojbjerg's sideways/backwards passing... His reply: "what passing?!" I'm sensing he's not that impressed :)

(Cue a man of the match performance against us of course...)

Edited by trousers

11 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

According to BBC

image.png.4efa85507aad9c107d9ca59e8c9fae29.png

Why are people/the media so surprised by his 'little impact' going forward? Why do other fans/journos think he's some sort of progressive passing midfielder? Weird views.

Edited by S-Clarke

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Why are people/the media so surprised by his 'little impact' going forward? Why do other fans/journos think he's some sort of progressive passing midfielder? Weird views.

He has been built up for months by the media as some student of Guardiola, some Rolls Royce of a footballer that will thrive as soon as he gets on a bigger stage. He still might but the Hojbjerg that played week in week out of us was a hard working but limited player, certainly not matching what the media hyped him as. 

Just now, Turkish said:

He has been built up for months by the media as some student of Guardiola, some Rolls Royce of a footballer that will thrive as soon as he gets on a bigger stage. He still might but the Hojbjerg that played week in week out of us was a hard working but limited player, certainly not matching what the media hyped him as. 

He may kick on, but like you said, it's been 100 games for us of utter average bullshit. So I think that is just him.

Spurs fans saw that stats and claimed he was the best rated midfielder in the league. There was never a clamour from anyone to sign him, until Everton had a nibble and Spurs went for it. None of their fans would have had a second look at him had it not been for their blind loyalty. 

Think Danny Murphy summed it up today on talkSport. He said that Hojbjerg (and the bloke from Wolves) wouldn't get in a top 4 side. Spurs think that they are top 4 but are signing players that aren't.

1 hour ago, angelman said:

Spurs fans saw that stats and claimed he was the best rated midfielder in the league. There was never a clamour from anyone to sign him, until Everton had a nibble and Spurs went for it. None of their fans would have had a second look at him had it not been for their blind loyalty. 

Think Danny Murphy summed it up today on talkSport. He said that Hojbjerg (and the bloke from Wolves) wouldn't get in a top 4 side. Spurs think that they are top 4 but are signing players that aren't.

I don't normally agree with much of what Danny Murphy spouts, but he's about right there. In saying that, I thought Doherty (Spelling?) looked about their liveliest player. 

39 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Thats just not true is it,.

Pretty much. I can't think of anything he did for us, apart from being the captain of quite a large group of losers in terms of our home games over the last 3 years. We were dreadful with him and when he was in the side. Relegation battles most years.

I honestly cannot pull a good game he had from the top of my head. 

He’s always been dump, save 1 or 2 games, somehow. Broken clock is right twice a day though.

reading the spurs forums, they’re starting to realise he’s cr4p now too, but there are plenty trying to ‘temper’ those sweeping assumptions.

He is utter tripe though. A complete nothing midfielder. 

He is good off the ball, but you do not win matches by not having the ball. I always felt that he was one of those players who we could upgrade on, if we had any money. 

In four seasons of being here, he played 22+ matches in each, staying goalless in three of them. Also claimed just six assists in 134 matches in total for the club. His composure when getting the ball in, or around the opposition's box was absolutely horrendous.

Shame that one of his most memorable moments for us was his stupid dive against Leicester.

In terms of complete stupidity and consequences involved it's probably second only to Prutton in our relegation season. Some way behind Prutton its' true but still a fuckwit performance.

On 14/09/2020 at 15:26, Lord Duckhunter said:

Ralph must have done as well. Played him week in week out & he was his  captain (until he wanted away), does Ralph get a lol as well? 

Yes if he thought he was one of our top players. He didnt seem too worried him leaving

8 hours ago, Crab Lungs said:

One of the outgoing transfers in recent seasons I was delighted to see. And to get 15m for a Sunday league player, brilliant 😂

not quite evened up them giving us forecast, but it’s a start.

That's it, he'll be scoring the winner next game then! 🙃 Agree though, stunned that Spurs wanted him. He wasn't even part of our good run after lock down. 

19 hours ago, Crab Lungs said:

One of the outgoing transfers in recent seasons I was delighted to see. And to get 15m for a Sunday league player, brilliant 😂

not quite evened up them giving us forecast, but it’s a start.

Giving most of it back to them to sign KWP takes the gloss off of it though. 

After the Forecast shambles as well I think they're the ones who'll be using the laughing emojis longest unfortunately. 

• 2 weeks later...

From The Guardian:

9) Slick Højbjerg looks a good fit for Spurs

It was largely forgotten among the late controversy but Pierre-Emile Højbjerg was integral to Tottenham’s near-total control against Newcastle. The midfielder’s £15m arrival from Southampton last month did not especially stir the senses but he has settled in quickly and forged a promisingly balanced partnership with Harry Winks. Højbjerg adds stability but he can deliver a ball too, an outstanding first-half cross that should have created an opener for Harry Kane being only one example. Last season Spurs struggled to move possession on quickly enough but Højbjerg has added urgency and drive so far in 2020-21. Yesterday his own poor luck mirrored that of Spurs, given he was very harshly penalised for the free-kick that began the chain of events for Newcastle’s leveller. The early signs are promising though and Højbjerg, billed as such an exciting talent when a youngster at Bayern Munich, looks well equipped to thrive among the stars at last."

3 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

One swallow doesn’t make a summer and he still gave away the  cheap free kick that led to a penalty. 

'Fake penalty' - no way in any world was that a penalty. The Tottenham players didn't contribute to that penalty, it was given away by the officials.

Not a fan of Hoj myself, but you can't put that on him. Sort of like clinging to something to throw at him for no real reason.

Edited by S-Clarke

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

'Fake penalty' - no way in any world was that a penalty. The Tottenham players didn't contribute to that penalty, it was given away by the officials.

Not a fan of Hoj myself, but you can't put that on him. Sort of like clinging to something to throw at him for no real reason.

Had he not given away a needless freekick, there wouldn’t have been a penalty decision to make. 

Interesting take on officials following the rules. I presume you want them to make their own rules up. It’s sort of like clinging to something to throw at them  for no real reason. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Interesting watching MOTD2 tonight as Jenas was singing Hojberg's praises. His long pass for his assist was admittedly very good but otherwise I thought it was all a bit overblown.

as with Everton/Villa fans etc going over the top...its 4 games in FFS....give it till at least Xmas!

17 hours ago, Scully said:

Interesting watching MOTD2 tonight as Jenas was singing Hojberg's praises. His long pass for his assist was admittedly very good but otherwise I thought it was all a bit overblown.

He had some great games for us too, MOTM in some. He also had some pretty terrible ones, and I think that's why on balance our fans feel like we got a good deal and he wouldn't be that great at Spurs in the long term, but I don't think we should be surprised that he has put in some crowd (or armchair fan) pleasing performances so far.

My best mate is a Spurs fan and says that so far - based on the reviews he got from me and other Saints fans - he has been pleasantly surprised by his passing but surprised by how bad he is at tackling.