Summer 2018 Transfer/HCDAJFU Thread

SuperSAINT

He had agreed a move to Sami Al Jaber in Saudi Arabia subject to our relegation. Even the Sami Al Jaber president (Al Hilal) confirmed the agreement.

So he is apparently completely loyal but only while we are in the premier league and he is earning top $

I did say "comparatively"...I.e compared to many/others.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

We've been linked to Kostic before, 5 goals and 1 assist last year doesn;'t fill me with much confidence.
I am amazed at the amount of players who we have (mostly tenuously) been linked with and who have been written of by many on here. The Danny Welbeck thing....a player who has spent most of his career at Man U and Arsenal, who was in the England World Cup Squad written off as not good enough for us. Not too sure what people are actually expecting...

I am amazed at the amount of players who we have (mostly tenuously) been linked with and who have been written of by many on here. The Danny Welbeck thing....a player who has spent most of his career at Man U and Arsenal, who was in the England World Cup Squad written off as not good enough for us. Not too sure what people are actually expecting...

Phil Jones was in the England World Cup squad and still plays for Man Utd........

The fact he has played for top clubs and struggled to consistently score is why people are worried about him.

We are not going to progress as a club IMO signing players that have consistently failed at bigger clubs, signing someone who is young and not had the chances at a bigger club is decent way to go (worked with Romeu, Bertrand, might work with Lemina/Hoedt), but signing a guy who is 28 in a few months, has a 1 in 5 record playing for Utd/Arsenal and is injury prone does not look like an obvious upgrade IMO.

^ Possibly, but some international defences are hardly stellar.

It's like Ings though, in principle I have nothing against signing them to challenge say Austin/Gabbiadni, they both should offer more than Long, but we are looking at £15-20 million, maybe even more for either of these players. Both with bad injury records (and we already have Austin) and I feel that if we are going to spend £20 million on a striker/forward I'd prefer taking a risk on someone more likely on the way up, who is younger and might become a lot better than what we have currently.

For example someone earlier in the thread mentioned Maxi Gomez who is a 21 year old Uruguayan from Celta who scored 18 goals last year in Liga, is 6' 1", apparently very good in the air, a natural finisher but a bit raw in his all round game.

Or someone like Moussa Dembele from Celtic.

If we got Ings or Wellbeck for like sub £10 million it would be more worth the risk, but I don't see either as obviously upgrading us or really likely to improve much, plus their injury records are a worry.

It's like Ings though, in principle I have nothing against signing them to challenge say Austin/Gabbiadni, they both should offer more than Long, but we are looking at £15-20 million, maybe even more for either of these players. Both with bad injury records (and we already have Austin) and I feel that if we are going to spend £20 million on a striker/forward I'd prefer taking a risk on someone more likely on the way up, who is younger and might become a lot better than what we have currently.

For example someone earlier in the thread mentioned Maxi Gomez who is a 21 year old Uruguayan from Celta who scored 18 goals last year in Liga, is 6' 1", apparently very good in the air, a natural finisher but a bit raw in his all round game.

If we got Ings or Wellbeck for like sub £10 million it would be more worth the risk, but I don't see either as obviously upgrading us or really likely to improve much, plus their injury records are a worry.

I just googled Maxi Gomez and saw an article saying that "Celta want £4.5m after Fulham interest". Who knows how much of that story is made up (probably a lot), but if that's even close to the valuation it does make you wonder why we wouldn't be all over that in preference of spending £20m on a proven...risk!

The vincent janssen who couldnt cut it in the premier league before

Yep, I like him was always prepared to take one in the bollock for that. Player needs to be coached but I really liked what I saw for Holland and Eredividse before the Spurs move.

Yep, I like him was always prepared to take one in the bollock for that. Player needs to be coached but I really liked what I saw for Holland and Eredividse before the Spurs move.

And yet he still has a significantly better goals per minute ratio for Spurs than Shane Long does for us... (225 [6 goals] vs 307 [27 goals] for those interested).

He had agreed a move to Sami Al Jaber in Saudi Arabia subject to our relegation. Even the Sami Al Jaber president (Al Hilal) confirmed the agreement.

So he is apparently completely loyal but only while we are in the premier league and he is earning top $

Flip that on its head, considering his honourable Japanese attitude, he probably thought it would be the decent thing to do getting the burden of his salary off the books of the club easily. Should the worst have happened.

Yeah I brought it up on another thread. Gomez seems like the kind of signing saints would go for. Knows where the goal is. 1st team player. And he's only 21 so has a lot of potential (and sell on value) I don't know why we are sniffing around ings (if the papers are to be believed) and not someone like gomez.

I just googled Maxi Gomez and saw an article saying that "Celta want £4.5m after Fulham interest". Who knows how much of that story is made up (probably a lot), but if that's even close to the valuation it does make you wonder why we wouldn't be all over that in preference of spending £20m on a proven...risk!

I heard he was valued at around £23mil. (collegue is a sevilla fan but knows la liga inside out) Whatever the case we should be all over that surely?

From Tuttomercato...

“Offer of Southampton for Yerry Mina , leaving defender from Barcelona who is not even left for the US tour of the Spanish champion team. The English club, according to what was collected by our editorial team, put 15 million euros plus 5 bonuses on the plate. The player's entourage is coming to Spain, the Colombian defender - three goals at the last World Cup - he hoped for an Arsenal bid. That for now has not arrived and therefore puts the saints in the forefront for the acquisition of one of the most interesting South American defense centres.”

https://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/europa/esclusiva-tmw-yerry-mina-scatto-del-southampton-c-a-l-offerta-ufficiale-1138219

From Tuttomercato...

“Offer of Southampton for Yerry Mina , leaving defender from Barcelona who is not even left for the US tour of the Spanish champion team. The English club, according to what was collected by our editorial team, put 15 million euros plus 5 bonuses on the plate. The player's entourage is coming to Spain, the Colombian defender - three goals at the last World Cup - he hoped for an Arsenal bid. That for now has not arrived and therefore puts the saints in the forefront for the acquisition of one of the most interesting South American defense centres.”

https://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/europa/esclusiva-tmw-yerry-mina-scatto-del-southampton-c-a-l-offerta-ufficiale-1138219

The article says Wolverhampton, not Saints. We're not mentioned.

1.7/10

You mean the club allegedly agreed a deal - presumably because the club decided it was in its best interests - nowhere does it say Yoshida demanded a move.

You're all over the shop, little fella.

Edited by shurlock

Waste of money though they have been, I'm encouraged by the current management shipping out the "deadwood" this summer, not what we should find ourselves in this rather expensive position in the first place. Clasie leaving on loan on top of Boufal and Carrillo at least shows that we're not sitting on the flops, but actively trying to free up some wages.

IMO the 25 man squad will look like this after some more outs: (Brackets players are under 21)

GK: McCarthy, Gunn, (Lewis)

RB: Cedric, Reed

LB: Bertrand, Targett/McQueen

CB: Yoshida, Vestergaard, Stephens, Bednarek, Hoedt

CM: Romeu, Hojbjerg, Lemina, JWP, Davis

AM: Elyounoussi, Redmond, Armstrong (Sims)

STR: Gabbiadini, Austin, Long

OUTS: Gallagher (whether we like it or not, looks like he's up for sale), Targett or McQueen (I still think we will keep Targett and sell/loan McQueen), Hesketh, Forster (if we can), Clasie (now gone), Boufal (Now gone), Carrillo (Now gone).

That leaves a 22 man squad giving us three extra places for transfers in if that is accurate - and I still hope we sign another attacking midfielder/winger type and a striker, with either another CB or RB as the third (Or even a third keeper in the ilk of Taylor). = I'd also be looking to ship out Davis and Long in the long term.

Is that how other's see it? We're still light in attacking areas I think. Interesting 2 and a bit weeks to come...

Waste of money though they have been, I'm encouraged by the current management shipping out the "deadwood" this summer, not what we should find ourselves in this rather expensive position in the first place. Clasie leaving on loan on top of Boufal and Carrillo at least shows that we're not sitting on the flops, but actively trying to free up some wages.

IMO the 25 man squad will look like this after some more outs: (Brackets players are under 21)

GK: McCarthy, Gunn, (Lewis)

RB: Cedric, Reed

LB: Bertrand, Targett/McQueen

CB: Yoshida, Vestergaard, Stephens, Bednarek, Hoedt

CM: Romeu, Hojbjerg, Lemina, JWP, Davis

AM: Elyounoussi, Redmond, Armstrong (Sims)

STR: Gabbiadini, Austin, Long

OUTS: Gallagher (whether we like it or not, looks like he's up for sale), Targett or McQueen (I still think we will keep Targett and sell/loan McQueen), Hesketh, Forster (if we can), Clasie (now gone), Boufal (Now gone), Carrillo (Now gone).

That leaves a 22 man squad giving us three extra places for transfers in if that is accurate - and I still hope we sign another attacking midfielder/winger type and a striker, with either another CB or RB as the third (Or even a third keeper in the ilk of Taylor). = I'd also be looking to ship out Davis and Long in the long term.

Is that how other's see it? We're still light in attacking areas I think. Interesting 2 and a bit weeks to come...

GK: McCarthy, Gunn, Rose

CB: Yoshida, Vestergaard, Bednarek, Bertrand, Hoedt/Stephens

RWB: Cédric, Reed

LWB: Targett, McQueen

CM: Romeu, Hojbjerg, Lemina, JWP, Armstrong

FW: New Signing, Gabbiadini, Austin, Elyounoussi, Redmond, (Sims)

OUTS: Gallagher, Hoedt/Stephens (with Vestergaard in and Bertrand at CB we have too many I think), Hesketh (loan), Forster (if someone is kind/stupid enough to take him off our hands), Long, Davis

We won't fill the full 25 man squad unless some of the deadwood hang around, that would mean too many players not getting any game time at all, even for teams playing in Europe only around 20 players get more than 500 minutes across all competitions.

Expect both Targett and McQueen to stay, Bertrand to play at LCB. In any case, we need 3 players in the squad capable of playing at LWB in case we have 2 of them out at the same time. Don't see anyone else in the squad who could fill in.

So any truth in the Mina rumours or was it actually Wolves who have submitted a bid??

It is nonsense from the HITC "journalist" who can't read.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/07/25/report-southampton-submit-offer-for-barcelona-defender-yerry-min/

He links to his source and it clearly says Wolverhampton, not Southampton...

:mcinnes:

Edited by Matthew Le God

One hampton is much the same as another hampton, just some are bigger than others.

I think the squad will end up looking like this:

GK: McCarthy, Gunn, Rose (Lewis will be the U23 keeper)

CB: Vestergaard, Bednarek, Hoedt, Stephens, New Signing

LWB: Bertand, Targett

CM: Romeu, Hojbjerg, JWP, Armstrong, Davis

AM: Elyounoussi, Redmond, Sims, New Signing

FW: Gabbiadini, Austin, Long

OUTS: Tadic, Clasie, Carillo, Boufal, Gallagher, Yoshida, McQueen (loan), Hesketh (loan), Forster (loan), Lemina

I just have a feeling Yoshida will head back to Japan this summer as he's one the few we can probably move on to save some wages. And if he does we might just bring in another defender - Gibson maybe.

Lemina will go as I don't think he wants to be here - and he will be our big summer sale to raise some much needed cash. Armstrong will become the replacement we've cleverly already bought.

Gallagher will go when someone meets his valuation as I don't think we believe has will come good - and we can't shift Long so he will go in his place.

McQueen will go on loan to see if he can step up as Targett is more highly rated and Bertand doesn't look to be going anywhere this summer.

Hesketh needs game time so we will send him on loan.

And we'll end up paying more than 50% of Forsters wages when he finally goes on loan in the hope he will do OK and someone buys him next summer.

I think we'll bring in one more Attacking Midfielder/Winger - probably Kostic as he will be cheap since Hamburg got relegated (as did Hoffenheim before that). I'd prefer we went for Pione Sisto or Patrick Roberts - both younger and with more potential.

Personally I'd like to see us shift a few more out and bring a few more in - be a bit more radical with the squad overhaul as it needs it:

- sell Cedric and Reed and bring in a first choice right back who can attack and defend and is little bit taller and move Jack Stephens over to right back as cover.

- bring in another centreback - Mawson maybe.

- send Sims out on loan to get game time and bring in new 2 attacking midfielder/wingers, not one. Sisto and Roberts maybe.

- get rid of Davis and add another defensive midfielder

- shift Long and bring in another striker - Maxi Gomez, Mitrovic, Moussa Dembele (Celtic) or someone like that.

But that's easy sat here from behind a keyboard - not so easy in reality. But the squad does need a lot more of an overhaul than its had so far if we are to turn things around.

It really was, and many websites fell for it. Some very interesting standards in journalism from Tuttomercato.

I think the squad will end up looking like this:

GK: McCarthy, Gunn, Rose (Lewis will be the U23 keeper)

CB: Vestergaard, Bednarek, Hoedt, Stephens, New Signing

LWB: Bertand, Targett

CM: Romeu, Hojbjerg, JWP, Armstrong, Davis

AM: Elyounoussi, Redmond, Sims, New Signing

FW: Gabbiadini, Austin, Long

Unless the mooted new signings are a real cut above, that's a squad that will dice with relegation. A lumbering and error-prone defence, a ponderous and goal-shy midfield, a profligate and injury-ridden attack.

Unless the mooted new signings are a real cut above, that's a squad that will dice with relegation. A lumbering and error-prone defence, a ponderous and goal-shy midfield, a profligate and injury-ridden attack.

Its over already, cancel the season...

Agreed. We just always seem 2-3 signings short of what we need

Obviously stock pilling average the last 3 years hasn't helped.

Hmmm...I’m concerned about the loss of a Tadic but hopeful that Elyounoussi is a decent replacement. Lemina leaving for West Ham or wherever is not a foregone conclusion.

Last year I thought that we had a mid-table squad, ruined into a relegation squad by an amazingly poor manager who stayed on far too long. Under competent management and hoping that the new recruits are as good as the club think they are, I expect we can get more wins this season than last, have more enjoyable games to watch and will end up somewhere in mid table without the stress of another relegation battle. I will of course be very sad if I am proven wrong.

Hmmm...I’m concerned about the loss of a Tadic but hopeful that Elyounoussi is a decent replacement. Lemina leaving for West Ham or wherever is not a foregone conclusion.

Last year I thought that we had a mid-table squad, ruined into a relegation squad by an amazingly poor manager who stayed on far too long. Under competent management and hoping that the new recruits are as good as the club think they are, I expect we can get more wins this season than last, have more enjoyable games to watch and will end up somewhere in mid table without the stress of another relegation battle. I will of course be very sad if I am proven wrong.

Whereas I thought we had a squad who was solid enough with 2 large weaknesses...at the back and up front, and this was exactly our issue...games which we used to win 1-0 away, we were losing 2-0 becuase of both boxes. We still have questionable players in those two departments and I don't see us finish top half without Vestergaard being a huge step up, and Austin magically being fit all season and offering something outside the 6 yard box.

Whereas I thought we had a squad who was solid enough with 2 large weaknesses...at the back and up front, and this was exactly our issue...games which we used to win 1-0 away, we were losing 2-0 becuase of both boxes. We still have questionable players in those two departments and I don't see us finish top half without Vestergaard being a huge step up, and Austin magically being fit all season and offering something outside the 6 yard box.

My hope is that under Hughes we can beat the promoted sides and those down around us - in 6 games against promoted sides last year we didn't win 1!

Although Wolves will be tough with their squad - Huddersfield, Cardiff, Fulham should yield better returns.

My hope is that under Hughes we can beat the promoted sides and those down around us - in 6 games against promoted sides last year we didn't win 1!

Although Wolves will be tough with their squad - Huddersfield, Cardiff, Fulham should yield better returns.

Yep - don't disagree, it was the games against the bottom half last season which killed us, especially at home.

Everyone is making a few decent signings though, theres always one or two "shocks" who are down there, so interesting to see who they are this year...possibly Watford, Newcastle, Burnley depending on how they get on with Europe.