Summer 2018 Transfer/HCDAJFU Thread

SuperSAINT

Yes, the squad you have on opening day is about all you have until January. Will stop desperation buying for ridiculous sums by teams who lose a couple of August matches perhaps.

Think it's more about not having the ridiculous situation from last year where we played Swansea and both of our best players didn't play (VVD/Sigurdsson) because they weren't 'mentally right' to play.

Think it's more about not having the ridiculous situation from last year where we played Swansea and both of our best players didn't play (VVD/Sigurdsson) because they weren't 'mentally right' to play.

But the 9th August deadline only apples to the UK doesn't it? Might even only apply to the PL for all I know. there is nothing to stop want away players throwing wobblies after the season starts in the UK in the hope of a move to some other European club. Depends why they want awy doesn't it.

But the 9th August deadline only apples to the UK doesn't it? Might even only apply to the PL for all I know. there is nothing to stop want away players throwing wobblies after the season starts in the UK in the hope of a move to some other European club. Depends why they want awy doesn't it.

for this summer only. The rest of Europe all be on board next season.

25m euros, apparently.

Yup, AZ Alkmaar is doing great when it comes to selling players. 22 million for Vincent Janssen and now even more for Alireza. Good for them but I do wonder why English clubs still believe that players from the Eredivisie are likely to succeed in the PL after all failures of the last years. Alireza is a good player, fast and good technical skills but he’ll need a long time to adept to the pace and power of the PL. Hopefully for him he’ll get that time.

That's the repercussion of selling Tadic cheap and loaning out players rather than finding buyers.

Having been net transfer spend winners for last 4 years however you'd expect some funds especially as Kat convinced us Gao was here to push us forward.

giphy.gif

That's the repercussion of selling Tadic cheap and loaning out players rather than finding buyers.

Having been net transfer spend winners for last 4 years however you'd expect some funds especially as Kat convinced us Gao was here to push us forward.

giphy.gif

We will see. We will probably have to sell or allow players to go out of the club if we are likely to bring anybody in now I would think.

So nothing to do with transfer funds. Most likely our signings this summer have maxed out how much we can spend on wages under the Short Term Cost Control regulations and we now have to shift players off the wage bill, either by selling or on loan, to make room for new ones.

So nothing to do with transfer funds. Most likely our signings this summer have maxed out how much we can spend on wages under the Short Term Cost Control regulations and we now have to shift players off the wage bill, either by selling or on loan, to make room for new ones.

Van dijk, boufal, Carrillo tadic surely on more wages then Armstrong elyounoussi vestergaard and gunn?

boufal, Carrillo

We might still be paying a lot of their wages, I doubt mid/lower La Liga clubs pay PL wages.

We also still have like 27-28 first team players for a 25 man squad as well.

There are the likes of Reed, Gallagher, Clasie, Forster etc. that could be moved on.

Carillio is probably going to end up costing us £30-40 million in total if we can't get any to actually buy him, same with Forster, his long contract could be another £20 million that basically has to be written off.

Same could happen with Boufal, is probably on £50-60k a week at least and was a £15 million transfer fee, could be another £15-25 million gone if we can't get a buyer.

If we can't sell these dead wood players and likely the clubs taking them on loan won't pay full wages easily could be looking at £50-60 million that just has to be written off as a f*ck up.

Edited by tajjuk

I think the problem is we gave a lot of our average players longer contracts and much higher wages than we should have done a couple of seasons ago. If Forster really is on £90K per week that is part of the problem. And if players like Stephens are on £40-50K per week as rumoured just imagine what some of the others are on.

I also expect we are subsidising the wages of Boufal and Carilli in Spain. As it is I expect we ill have to do the same for Forster.

If we can shift Forster, Long, Davis we might have some room to move on the wage bill - but I expect we will have to sell on the the big players - Bertrand, Lemina, Gabbi, Cedric - to raise some money and clear some wages.

Reed and co really did lose the plot with for a while with new signings and extended contracts for existing players. The so-called 'change of direction' seems to have been a big mistake.

You have to wonder what was relaly going on.

Van dijk, boufal, Carrillo tadic surely on more wages then Armstrong elyounoussi vestergaard and gunn?

Van Dijk and Carrillo only spent half of last season here so only half their annual salary goes into the calculation of last season's wage bill. Plus Clasie, Gallagher and Targett are back and some players, younger ones mostly, might have year on year automatic wage increases.

Either way the club has ****ed up. Bloated squad full of average players on top wages.

Club is great at selling our star players, but we do stockpile crap

Could be right, but I’m also a believer than a damn good coaching team can improve these average players and get them playing as a good team.

Could be right, but I’m also a believer than a damn good coaching team can improve these average players and get them playing as a good team.

I've said it before, but I think that the club panicked and signed people up to long and generous contracts to try and get them to stay. It didn't work with the players we wanted to keep, but worked with the players no one was interested in.

But....I love the fickleness of it all. A couple of years ago we were the best run club in the world, a model to emulate, etc etc etc and now we are a shambles. A week is a long time in politics, and I guess it is in football as well.

But....I love the fickleness of it all. A couple of years ago we were the best run club in the world, a model to emulate, etc etc etc and now we are a shambles. A week is a long time in politics, and I guess it is in football as well.

You might have missed this? https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?48561-Cortese-has-left-Southampton-Football-Club-Officially-Confirmed#.W1Wy6KTTWaM

#momentumcurve #decline #poormanagement

Not a big surprise Ralph was saying the same at the beginning of the summer. We have a bloated squad and are hardly in a position to pay several players big wages to not be part of the 25 man squad. The issue is finding someone to take the dead wood off our hands.

The way I read Hughes' comments is that wages have to come off the wage bill rather than transfer funds being the issue per se. So the crazy rises to Fraser amongst others are an issue, Celta may be paying a lesser % of Boufal's etc and probably ditto when Clasie re-joins Feyenoord. Plus there's lots of ex-academy players probably on too much. I dare not even mention Carrillo, more like Carillion...

Les had such a disasterous time 2016 onwards with his 'new direction' that it can't all be put right in one window.

The club is where it is, staying up with a few more points to spare and rebuilding the squad over a few windows going back to quality over quantity is the order of the day until some of these contracts are off the books.

True. Shame we don't have that.

Well, Hughes and coaching team certainly improved performances and commitment of the average set of demoralised players at the back end of last season.

Or have we forgotten that already on the back of one defeat in a meaningless early pre-season friendly?

I still find it a little strange that players like Carrillo can’t be coached to become better. Are we better off not having them around as an option than to have nobody in as we cant afford them.

What about players like McGinn for Hibs that Celtic are after. There must be hungry players that are looking to develop name and reputation. This is where we seem to have lost good reputation

I still find it a little strange that players like Carrillo can’t be coached to become better. Are we better off not having them around as an option than to have nobody in as we cant afford them.

What about players like McGinn for Hibs that Celtic are after. There must be hungry players that are looking to develop name and reputation. This is where we seem to have lost good reputation

Carrillo was a mediocre player in a poor league, he obviously had no margin for improvement when he moved up to a league where defenders are far, far better than those that they have at Dijon and Amiens. We were stupid to buy him and that's all that there is to it. Scottish football is just one step above public rec football and no reference can be made to it.

St Michael, it seems that the modern way of things in the PL is that a player already has to be at their peak. No room for coaching. No time. Time is money, and you can't afford that in PL.

We're a professional football club, not the Make a Wish Foundation. Saints don't exist to give sub-standard players the chance to play Premier League football.

Well, Hughes and coaching team certainly improved performances and commitment of the average set of demoralised players at the back end of last season.

Or have we forgotten that already on the back of one defeat in a meaningless early pre-season friendly?

P9 W2 D2 L5 after he came in. We did enough to survive but that was more down to how poor Swansea and Stoke were rather than our miracle turnaround

Good replies thanks for comments. I just live in hope that we can buck this horrible trend of buying these merecenaries. There must be some middle position where we develop players that are good prospects. I know... bit of a dreamer on this but can’t see that our present track is any better.

Second issue is we seem to have full squad of average players all very similar in their style to be interchangeable.

Either way the club has ****ed up. Bloated squad full of average players on top wages.

Club is great at selling our star players, but we do stockpile crap

Of course, I tried telling people Forster is on £95k per week and is clearly the reason we are struggling to shift him permanently and even on loan without stumping up most of his wages.

Good replies thanks for comments. I just live in hope that we can buck this horrible trend of buying these merecenaries. There must be some middle position where we develop players that are good prospects. I know... bit of a dreamer on this but can’t see that our present track is any better.

Second issue is we seem to have full squad of average players all very similar in their style to be interchangeable.

We have paid reasonable amounts for iffy players already. Top top players cost more than we can pay so we go for lucky dip options.

We have the squad that we can afford and that our position affords us. We can't even get top youth talent any more. Utd, City and Chelsea snap them all up before they're out of school and then farm them out to whomsoever they wish.

Mmm did you not watch last season...

:lol: Fair point.

We basically do. JWP, Stephens, Sims, McQ, McC are all decent young prospects but even they have their limitations (some more than others). We've done it with foreign talent too, the problem is for every Mané and Wanyama, there's a Boufal or Gaston.

I think we're pretty good for not buying mercenaries. I'm struggling to think of the last player I thought was only here for a pay cheque. Probably someone like Euell or Stern John.

We might still be paying a lot of their wages, I doubt mid/lower La Liga clubs pay PL wages.

We also still have like 27-28 first team players for a 25 man squad as well.

There are the likes of Reed, Gallagher, Clasie, Forster etc. that could be moved on.

Carillio is probably going to end up costing us £30-40 million in total if we can't get any to actually buy him, same with Forster, his long contract could be another £20 million that basically has to be written off.

Same could happen with Boufal, is probably on £50-60k a week at least and was a £15 million transfer fee, could be another £15-25 million gone if we can't get a buyer.

If we can't sell these dead wood players and likely the clubs taking them on loan won't pay full wages easily could be looking at £50-60 million that just has to be written off as a f*ck up.

How do you work that one out?

P9 W2 D2 L5 after he came in. We did enough to survive but that was more down to how poor Swansea and Stoke were rather than our miracle turnaround

Let’s not let facts get in the way though...we did play Arsenal (lost 3-2), Chelsea (lost 3-2) and Man City (last second loss) who we would not have expected to get anything from realistically anyway. So take the usual unwinnable games out and it was a decent return.

You know and I know and everybody else knows Hughes turned us around and got the players to perform when it really mattered most.

But if you want to slate him when the season hasn’t even started then that’s your prerogative I suppose.

How do you work that one out?

£65k a week for like 3.5 years is about £12 million, fee was reported around £18 -20 million.

To be fair I thought he was on a 5 year contract but seems it was 3.5m, so £25 -30 million is possible.

... and loaning out players rather than finding buyers.

its not easy finding buyers for unwanted gifts if those items are shoddy. Trialling before buying makes a lot of sense and might be something we ought to consider assuming we have learnt from the Toby situation.

Edited by Chez

Of course, I tried telling people Forster is on £95k per week and is clearly the reason we are struggling to shift him permanently and even on loan without stumping up most of his wages.

Quite a lot of fans on here have been reluctant to accept that we pay massive massive wages. If the players are worth it you can live with it, but they aren't.

That new contract for Forster was one the most stupid decision in living history though. He had had a pretty poor season yet we chose to extend his deal. Utter madness and one that takes a long time and money to recover from.

At least he did keep us up unlike your hero Silva did for Hull....

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC
Wrong club

Quite a lot of fans on here have been reluctant to accept that we pay massive massive wages. If the players are worth it you can live with it, but they aren't.

That new contract for Forster was one the most stupid decision in living history though. He had had a pretty poor season yet we chose to extend his deal. Utter madness and one that takes a long time and money to recover from.

Indeed, but in this guys case they thought they were locking in a big bid 12 months down the line. The fact is as you say he was going down hill rapidly but they thought it was just a temporary loss of form.

But as you say a ****ing disaster of a decision.

I understand why they did it, although I too thought it odd at the time, but Shane Long's extension? I'll never understand that one.

We can't shift FF due to his wages, that's a fact. For once I can't say what I've been told on an open message board, but I know teams have certainly enquired regarding a loan (neither from the PL) and then baulked at what they'd still have to pay in wages AFTER we'd paid 50%.