Summer 2018 Transfer/HCDAJFU Thread

SuperSAINT

What are we doing? I was feeling positive a couple of weeks ago but that has evaporated..

Welbeck? Lookman? Promes? Sisto? We need pace in attack. Now we have shifted a few it can’t still be a squad size issue surely...

Have seen Kostic and Ghezzal mentioned too but nothing concrete

If we stay as we are I can see another bottom half season at best

What are we doing? I was feeling positive a couple of weeks ago but that has evaporated..

Welbeck? Lookman? Promes? Sisto? We need pace in attack. Now we have shifted a few it can’t still be a squad size issue surely...

Have seen Kostic and Ghezzal mentioned too but nothing concrete

If we stay as we are I can see another bottom half season at best

Still a couple more to go, Forster for one, Gallagher appears to be up for sale with suitors, Targett has suitors although we remain solid on our stance of not selling him, rumours surrounding Lemina too - if anything I think we are going to have a very interesting last week of the window, and may even be busy on deadline day for a change. There are enough rumours going around for me to think there isn't going to be any more incomings, not to mention we have enough quality to start the season with anyway.

Still a couple more to go, Forster for one, Gallagher appears to be up for sale with suitors, Targett has suitors although we remain solid on our stance of not selling him, rumours surrounding Lemina too - if anything I think we are going to have a very interesting last week of the window, and may even be busy on deadline day for a change. There are enough rumours going around for me to think there isn't going to be any more incomings, not to mention we have enough quality to start the season with anyway.

Rob Green going to Chelsea (at 38!), so should think the Forster rumour could be put to bed. Even they must have baulked at the price.

yes but we can’t just wait and hope someone comes in for our deadwood. Surely we need to be more proactive rather than reactive. Squad size shouldn’t be a problem now, that was my point

Not sure that I would agree we are ready to start the season. We are almost there but need at least another attacking option (preferably 2 - a striker and a pacy wide man)

Charlie Austin and Steve Corns just followed Matty Phillips on twitter. Probably nothing in it.

McCarthy follows too, albeit not sure how recently. Phillips hasn’t tweeted since May 2016, so would be odd for 1-2 players and our performance analyst to start following him..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McCarthy follows too, albeit not sure how recently. Phillips hasn’t tweeted since May 2016, so would be odd for 1-2 players and our performance analyst to start following him..

Guessing McCarthy, Austin and Phillips would’ve played together at QPR. Probably explains the connection.

Yeah I saw that but who knows we might be interested!

Also Simon Jones in the daily mail said us and Lyon were interested as well as Everton and we are currently 12/1 with skybet. The mail article doesn't relate to that initial article on tuttomercatoweb or whatever it's called.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5990659/Everton-director-football-flies-Barcelona-Digne-Mina-talks.html

Edited by davefizzy14

yes but we can’t just wait and hope someone comes in for our deadwood. Surely we need to be more proactive rather than reactive. Squad size shouldn’t be a problem now, that was my point

We should get a top salesman who should hit the road with Forster and Gallagher in the back of his Mondeo. He could visit all the prem and champ clubs and maybe leave a sample for them to try out, throw in a couple of pens and a faux leather document holder, job done.

Can't say I've watched enough of Janssen to have an opinion, but Rondon would be absolutely perfect for us IMO.

Can't disagree with that. Can't see us rustling up £16m though.

I reckon Newcastle will get him after selling Mitrovic to Fulham.

Rondon has scored 24 goals for West Brom in 108 games.

He got 32 starts last year and managed 7 goals, the same number of goals that Austin got, but almost 3 times the amount of minutes on the pitch.

He's only managed double figures in the league 4 times and the last time was in 2014-15 in the Russian league.

Do not get the appeal at all, would rather have Jay Rod back.

He got 32 starts last year and managed 7 goals, the same number of goals that Austin got, but almost 3 times the amount of minutes on the pitch.

He's only managed double figures in the league 4 times and the last time was in 2014-15 in the Russian league.

Quite!

Talking to some WBA supporters after the cup tie and they were far from impressed, despite the screamer he had scored against us that day.

Can't understand Newcastle looking to bring him in in preference to Mitrovic.

A lot of his time at West Brom has been as a workhorse, having balls chucked up to him with little to no support or them just being pumped into a channel to chase.

Put him in our cross-heavy team and I'd back him to get 10-15, easily.

A lot of his time at West Brom has been as a workhorse, having balls chucked up to him with little to no support or them just being pumped into a channel to chase.

Put him in our cross-heavy team and I'd back him to get 10-15, easily.

Austin played for a negative defensive team last year and got the same goals in far less game time.

He has simply never been prolific, even in better teams and easier leagues, he is IMO worse than what we already have bar maybe Long.

I'd rather give Gallagher a go than waste £20 million on Rondon.

Austin played for a negative defensive team last year and got the same goals in far less game time.

He has simply never been prolific, even in better teams and easier leagues, he is IMO worse than what we already have bar maybe Long.

I'd rather give Gallagher a go than waste £20 million on Rondon.

Fair enough- I rate him personally and reckon he'd fit us well (and could even dovetail with Austin/Long if the situation needed it), but can understand your view especially pricewise.

Southampton (along with Newcastle) may go for Brugge’s Limbombe after he failed to agree to personal terms with Huddersfield..

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/6871014/newcastle-southampton-anthony-limbombe-huddersfield/

I almost feel like the Sun just pulled Southampton’s name out of a hat, here.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I believe he was linked to us early last month.

At least we're still being linked with wingers, mainly left-sided ones, which is odd as that's where Mo plays.

Southampton (along with Newcastle) may go for Brugge’s Limbombe after he failed to agree to personal terms with Huddersfield..

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/6871014/newcastle-southampton-anthony-limbombe-huddersfield/

I almost feel like the Sun just pulled Southampton’s name out of a hat, here.

If his song isn't to the tune of La Bamba, I don't know what's happening to the world.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Depends how you look at it. We improved and competed with with Chelsea and City late in the season, should have beaten Everton and did beat Swansea and Bournemouth.

Too many are judging the squad on the failures of an abysmal manager. If you think it's a relegation fight still, you can't rate Hughes very highly at all.

We won't have Forster this season. We won't have VVD and an unsettled dressing room. We've added an experienced giant at CB. We've added a goalscoring central midfielder. We've replaced Tadic with a player who looks excited and only has to turn up every 4th game to be an improvement.

We've shipped out Boufal, we'll have a more streamlined and happy squad hopefully. So all in all I'm really pleased with the squad now. I'm sure we'll still get 1 maybe 2 more too.

nice post. I feel very apprehensive about the side and our prospects, but you make an excellent case for us having an improved season.

nice post. I feel very apprehensive about the side and our prospects, but you make an excellent case for us having an improved season.

I think some familiar issues will continue to haunt us but we've made steps to address others and it feels more positive.

It won't be an exciting season, but it'll be one in which we'll have plenty of new players to watch and one where I don't think we'll be looking over our shoulders.

Depends how you look at it. We improved and competed with with Chelsea and City late in the season, should have beaten Everton and did beat Swansea and Bournemouth.

Too many are judging the squad on the failures of an abysmal manager. If you think it's a relegation fight still, you can't rate Hughes very highly at all.

We won't have Forster this season. We won't have VVD and an unsettled dressing room. We've added an experienced giant at CB. We've added a goalscoring central midfielder. We've replaced Tadic with a player who looks excited and only has to turn up every 4th game to be an improvement.

We've shipped out Boufal, we'll have a more streamlined and happy squad hopefully. So all in all I'm really pleased with the squad now. I'm sure we'll still get 1 maybe 2 more too.

But we've got Mark Hughes as Manager, who cannot coach a defence.

Well, to put it another way, Mark Hughes teams cannot defend. That's going to be a big issue.

Personally, I think we're going down this season

the forum as it should be, and two weeks still to go...all is well with the world

Well, to put it another way, Mark Hughes teams cannot defend. That's going to be a big issue.

Personally, I think we're going down this season unless we pull a decent new striker out of the hat.

That's the spirit.

Personally, I think we're going down this season unless we pull a decent new striker out of the hat.

This is quite an achievement in itself, you have beaten Alpine and Dalek to the relegation prediction

Would you be happy with Hughes if he replicated what he did at Fulham, Blackburn, Man City and his first 3 seasons at Stoke?

Thing is those were the days when unfashionable clubs could still attract the odd top player. Now if you're not in Europe and not likely to win anything you're just consigned to rooting about in the expensive maybe/maybe not dross bucket. Football has changed because there is so much money washing about that top clubs throught Europe can now just hoover up any player who looks half decent. They don't need them but they don't need anyone else to have them either.

We had a team that could defend under puel and apparently that was no good either

There is next to zero reason for anyone to be doubting Hughes’ ability over a long period of time in this league

We had a team that could defend under puel and apparently that was no good either

There is next to zero reason for anyone to be doubting Hughes’ ability over a long period of time in this league

He was incredibly anti Hughes before he came in so he's hardly likely to change his position now. I can't see why we would be more likely to go down this season than last season considering that Hughes is a miles better manager than Pellegrino.

He was incredibly anti Hughes before he came in so he's hardly likely to change his position now. I can't see why we would be more likely to go down this season than last season considering that Hughes is a miles better manager than Pellegrino.

I'm sure a lot of people did change their minds about Hughes though. I would have been very anti- him earlier in the season, when we appointed him I felt like he was the only option, but still better than Pellegrino, and by the end of the season I thought he'd done a great job and deserved a shot at the position full time.

I am a little concerned about Stoke's defensive performances, and rumours that Hughes never worked on defensive drills in training, but equally some people have pointed to his time at, say, Blackburn and Fulham, as spells where he made teams solid and difficult to beat. I'm also wary that Stoke always seemed to start the season badly under Hughes. But it is ok to change your mind about someone if, over time, the evidence changes.