Summer 2018 Transfer/HCDAJFU Thread

SuperSAINT

Or just keep Lemina and bring in a new striker and it will be a very good window

Kind of depends if Lemina is fit to play any too often. These serial injury blokes never get any more reliable really. Look at Walcott with Everton, good job he didn't sign for Saints. Bloke is always injured.

Probably means he's going for a very defensive 352 most the time, or 3421 anyway.

He clearly likes Redmond, so we have 2 wingers, Sims in reserve, Long who can play wide.

Still think people overestimate what it takes to succeed. If they play well, work together as a more solid team we can easily get 9th/10th. Not saying that's a great achievement or will be good to watch though. Still think Burnley's squad in extremely average at best, but organisation gave them a great season.

If we were to play 433 and actually attack games then yes we still need a top attacking signing. And I'd far rather ditch Austin and sign a better replacement. But with Origi quoted at 26m and Mitrovic 20m and Carillo 19m it does make you question whether the transfer market is worth it most the time. I'd be happy for Gallagher and Sims to get more game time and truly see what they can do.

Agree with this - the figures quoted are crazy and so if the only option is, say, Ings for £20m then I'd probably rather stick with what we have and give Gallagher some game time. Everything I've seen of him physically and in the reserves etc makes me think he's got what it takes so maybe now is the time to find out? As others have said Kane didn't exactly set the world on fire on loan in the Championship and look at him now. Not suggesting for one second Gallagher is the next Kane but a less than stellar record in the Championship doesn't necessarily rule him out as a good option for us.

As for getting rid of Austin, despite his injuries, I think that would be crazy. He is by far the best striker at the club.

In Sky Sports Transfer Center this morning we are linked with Danny Drinkwater.

"Crystal Palace and Southampton want to sign Chelsea midfielder Danny Drinkwater, according to the Daily Mirror.

Drinkwater joined the west Londoners from Leicester last season but has struggled to make an impact.

Maurizio Sarri has given Drinkwater game-time in Chelsea’s pre-season campaign but seems willing to listen to offers for the player"

In Sky Sports Transfer Center this morning we are linked with Danny Drinkwater.

"Crystal Palace and Southampton want to sign Chelsea midfielder Danny Drinkwater, according to the Daily Mirror.

Drinkwater joined the west Londoners from Leicester last season but has struggled to make an impact.

Maurizio Sarri has given Drinkwater game-time in Chelsea’s pre-season campaign but seems willing to listen to offers for the player"

Can’t see it, isn’t he on upwards of £120k pw? No thanks, got enough CM’s, need a proper striker

Little bit about the situation in the Echo. I'm not sure we'll see anyone major coming in.

Sure, we could raise cash by selling Lemina or Gallagher/Targett but I'm not convinced about doing either. A lot depends on if we have anyone of real quality lined up. Selling Lemina would obviously need an extra player needed to replace him as well.

With ten days until the close of the transfer window, and uncertainty over whether Saints will be able to recruit another player, Hughes will have wanted to see what he has at his disposal currently come up with the goods.

There is still a chance for at least one new face to arrive at St Mary’s, but the club are in a position where they feel they need to wheel and deal in the market to make a really significant incoming happen.

And, to be fair, if Saints are to sign somebody else that is what they need.

It would be a case of strengthening in the attacking department, but there would be no point in just bringing in somebody for the sake of it who just ends up as another squad member. They have the depth of players there to cover for that already. There would only be sense in bringing in extra frontline quality capable of improving the starting line-up.

Given Saints have had to loan out three of their recent transfer flops this summer rather than sell them, and having a net spend of £36m so far, they could do with bringing some cash in to fund a really big deal.

There are players who could move on yet, and at least one or two of those could generate some good money. There are a couple of fringe players who could also go and contribute to a pot to spend.

But all this is a lot of work in the last week-and-a-half, and Saints would need good fortune on their side for the stars to align and all this to happen at the correct times to get everything done.

For now, all Hughes can concern himself with is working with what he’s got and assuming that is it when the Premier Legate season begins.

Source: http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/16384748.the-verdict-the-final-word-on-southamptons-2-0-win-over-dijon/

Makes you wonder why, if we are so short of cash now, we spent a quarter of our budget on another keeper. Don’t get me wrong I’m pleased Gunn is here as he’s clearly highly rated but odd we made that move and now don’t have the cash for a forward player when we clearly need one.

Makes you wonder why, if we are so short of cash now, we spent a quarter of our budget on another keeper. Don’t get me wrong I’m pleased Gunn is here as he’s clearly highly rated but odd we made that move and now don’t have the cash for a forward player when we clearly need one.

Yup - exactly this. I think Gunn is good business but seems strange when we're desperate for a goal scorer. We could have dealt with Forster as backup, especially given his wages.

We could also do with getting rid of Stephens, and TBH, I'd be tempted to bring Pied back as a backup RB on a free, he's still not got a club and no point us spending decent money on a RB backup.

Yup - exactly this. I think Gunn is good business but seems strange when we're desperate for a goal scorer. We could have dealt with Forster as backup, especially given his wages.

We could also do with getting rid of Stephens, and TBH, I'd be tempted to bring Pied back as a backup RB on a free, he's still not got a club and no point us spending decent money on a RB backup.

I think we're still trying to solve the right back / wing back option from within. Reed / Jwp / McQueen I think have all been given a try.

I think we're still trying to solve the right back / wing back option from within. Reed / Jwp / McQueen I think have all been given a try.

Its pretty odd given Hughes looks likely to go with 3 at the back with wingbacks that we haven't got a proper second right back in. If Cedric gets injuried its going to really screw the system trying to get by with some player playing out of position trying to fill in.

Its pretty odd given Hughes looks likely to go with 3 at the back with wingbacks that we haven't got a proper second right back in. If Cedric gets injuried its going to really screw the system trying to get by with some player playing out of position trying to fill in.

Yeah, we got lucky when we tried it before. IIRC, we sold Chambers & went with just Clyne for a season under Ronald.

Agree with points 1 and 3 - spending a wedge of cash on another GK when we still have Forster seems irresponsible. And agree I would look to bring Pied back if we can. Don't agree on Stephens, though. Season before last, he and Yosh acquitted themselves well.

The Mag have put up a net spend table up mostly talking about Newcastle obviously but the table makes interesting reading. Saints are a bit skewed because the VVD money from Jan doesn't get counted this summer. Still interesting to see what teams have (or haven't) spent.

https://www.themag.co.uk/2018/07/league-table-of-all-20-clubs-premier-league-transfers-so-far-painful-viewing-for-newcastle-united-fans/

Agree with points 1 and 3 - spending a wedge of cash on another GK when we still have Forster seems irresponsible. And agree I would look to bring Pied back if we can. Don't agree on Stephens, though. Season before last, he and Yosh acquitted themselves well.

THe goalkeeper situation is about risk and timing. If there is an injury do we want FF as 1st choice all season. Also the timings that Gunn has come available - do we think that oevr the next 2/3 years we will have an opportunity to pick up someone this highly rated again? Seems a fair move really - be a shame to have a great striker in and FF in goal all season just as muc has having 3 keepers and relying on our current bunch up front

Mate of mine reckons Charlie Austin is due at Boro before Wednesday...no idea whether to believe it or not.

Not a chance. He's on a lot of money which no championship club would match or better.

Mate of mine reckons Charlie Austin is due at Boro before Wednesday...no idea whether to believe it or not.

I hope don't just roll over and let them have him for some ridiculously cheap fee. Particularly if the stories of them playing hard ball over a fee for Gibson are true.....

So are they saying we have no ££ and need to sell to buy? Or is it more a case of having to shift the wages of some of our overpaid flops?

Surely more of a FFP issue than a spending power one?

So are they saying we have no ££ and need to sell to buy? Or is it more a case of having to shift the wages of some of our overpaid flops?

Surely more of a FFP issue than a spending power one?

a bit of both i would think but certainly having the likes of FF still here isn't helping and still paying a big wack for the guys that have left on loan

my concern is that in Jan we knew our forwards weren't enough so we went out and brought another one (albeit the wrong one) now he is out on loan we are still left with the same forwards deemed not enough still.

EBS, you are right to an extent, but the supposes that Gabbi is deemed not up to it. It seems that MP certainly didn't think he was. He did start Carillo every game after his arrival, and gave Gabbi little time. Maybe if Hughes can get him playing, he'll do us OK.

my concern is that in Jan we knew our forwards weren't enough so we went out and brought another one (albeit the wrong one) now he is out on loan we are still left with the same forwards deemed not enough still.

Surely, gabbi, Austin and Long can collectively be as terrible under a competent manager in Hughes, compared to the utter clown we had last season.

I’d like to think a couple of players will be a lot better. Pellegrino was just incredibly pathetic !!!

EBS, you are right to an extent, but the supposes that Gabbi is deemed not up to it. It seems that MP certainly didn't think he was. He did start Carillo every game after his arrival, and gave Gabbi little time. Maybe if Hughes can get him playing, he'll do us OK.

Yes, a resurgent Gabbi is what I am pinning a lot of hope on at the moment too! He certainly seems to look a lot happier and the noises coming out that he is definitely not looking for a move now are encouraging me that under Hughes we will see a lot better from him.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Putting our eggs in the Gabbi basket is a mistake IMHO.

He had a short hot spell but throughout his career has never been prolific.

Has a career average of 1 in 6. So even if he plays every week he's limited

I agree

Gabbi is an OK player who has the capability to score 8-10 goals a season if all goes well.

However I like to see a player who can also defend from the front.

For example, Beattie and Ormerod were not top level Premiership front men but they had decent goalscoring records and put in a real shift closing down opponents from the front.

Gabbi doesnt do this and also I think he is unsuitable playing as a lone target man.

Hope he proves me wrong though and scores loads this season

Putting our eggs in the Gabbi basket is a mistake IMHO.

He had a short hot spell but throughout his career has never been prolific.

Has a career average of 1 in 6. So even if he plays every week he's limited

Pretty much what my Friend (who I have spoken of before and knows his football onions) said when I said "dunno whats happened to Gabbiadini".......... His response "Thats why he is playing for Southampton................... and only cost £16m"!

THe goalkeeper situation is about risk and timing. If there is an injury do we want FF as 1st choice all season. Also the timings that Gunn has come available - do we think that oevr the next 2/3 years we will have an opportunity to pick up someone this highly rated again? Seems a fair move really - be a shame to have a great striker in and FF in goal all season just as muc has having 3 keepers and relying on our current bunch up front

Saints’ recruitment seems always to have an eye on resale value, which is sensible except where there are weaknesses elsewhere in the squad and limited funds, in which circumstances the recruitment of a good future prospect like Gunn has an opportunity cost to current squad requirements. I’m hoping a few duffers on big money get moved on and a decent forward is brought in (though I have concerns about every part of the team except keeper).

I thought we bought because Charlie was injured

There's no way we are short of cash but why tell all the other clubs that you've got loads of money to spend?

Main issue is most likely that our wage bill hasn't got much room for manoeuvre.

I think we’re taking a massive gamble if we don’t get another striker in.

I don’t care what some of his critics think, but if Austin stays fit he’ll score 15 ish a season. The issue is whether he’ll stay fit and nothing I’ve seen so far indicates that he will.

Long won’t score enough & Gallagher is untested .

Looks like we’re relying on Gabbi playing better for Hughes than he did for the whole of last season & Charlie staying fit. Personally, I think that’s a gamble too far when you bare in mind the lack of goals from other areas of the pitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we’re taking a massive gamble if we don’t get another striker in.

I don’t care what some of his critics think, but if Austin stays fit he’ll score 15 ish a season. The issue is whether he’ll stay fit and nothing I’ve seen so far indicates that he will. I

Long won’t score enough & Gallagher is untested .

Looks like we’re relying on Gabbi playing better for Hughes than he did for the whole of last season & Charlie staying fit. Personally, I think that’s a gamble too far when you bare in mind the lack of goals from other areas of the pitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious, what could have happened to convince you he will stay fit?