Charlie Austin

LegalEagle

7 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

what about it?

who will more likely win something next year?

If he goes to Leicester, which he won't, it'll be because they offered him a massive wedge of cash and nothing more. You don't go to Leicester to win big competitions. Playing in the Europa League, which they have a slim chance of sneaking into through the back door, wont advance his England career.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

If he goes to Leicester, which he won't, it'll be because they offered him a massive wedge of cash and nothing more. You don't go to Leicester to win big competitions. Playing in the Europa League, which they have a slim chance of sneaking into through the back door, wont advance his England career.

That is true.  But the point was they are not a step up.  They are.

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I think the big club bias with England is more that sh*t players at big clubs DO get picked, rather than good players and smaller clubs not getting picked, see Calum Chambers, Danny Welbeck and Tom Cleverly for examples.

those players you mention are taking someone else's place though 

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

A step up for now, for a year or two sure I agree. JWP could even weaken Leicester’s first XI because I prefer their pivot of Tielemans/Ndidi for the system they play. Of course it would increase their depth but I think Tielemans is leaving anyway. 

One transfer window, one managerial brain fart and it can go tits up.

Fulham and Middlesborough were step ups too at one point when they were in Europa League semifinals/finals etc etc

Sadly, unless you are one of the big 6 I just don’t see any of the other 14 sustaining European football for say 4 out of 5 seasons. 

We’ll see what impact Newcastle has however, with their new wealth they could but if we are talking about the now then it’s not a major step up other than for wages.

11 minutes ago, nta786 said:

A step up for now, for a year or two sure I agree. JWP could even weaken Leicester’s first XI because I prefer their pivot of Tielemans/Ndidi for the system they play. Of course it would increase their depth but I think Tielemans is leaving anyway. 

One transfer window, one managerial brain fart and it can go tits up.

Fulham and Middlesborough were step ups too at one point when they were in Europa League semifinals/finals etc etc

Sadly, unless you are one of the big 6 I just don’t see any of the other 14 sustaining European football for say 4 out of 5 seasons. 

We’ll see what impact Newcastle has however, with their new wealth they could but if we are talking about the now then it’s not a major step up other than for wages.

To compare Leicester to Fulham and Middlesbrough is complete nonsense. Since JWP made his Southampton debut they’ve won the league, the cup, got out of their champions league group and played in Europe a further 3 times. They’re clearly a step up from us on every conceivable measure. 

Leicester have been quoted as wanting 60 - 70 million for Tielemans !

Would they pay anything like that for JWP, I doubt it !

If he wants to scale up in the PL, for me it could only be Man U, Man C, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea or Spurs but I'd put my money on Newcastle because pretty soon they'll be splashing the cash and Howe seems to like solid pros rather than prima donnas !

12 minutes ago, eurosaint said:

Leicester have been quoted as wanting 60 - 70 million for Tielemans !

Would they pay anything like that for JWP, I doubt it !

If he wants to scale up in the PL, for me it could only be Man U, Man C, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea or Spurs but I'd put my money on Newcastle because pretty soon they'll be splashing the cash and Howe seems to like solid pros rather than prima donnas !

I think he would get "lost" at Liverpool, City and Chelsea. You only have to look at Grealish and see how much he is struggling for game time. Can't help feeling the same would happen to JWP. I think the only real serious destination for him would be Arsenal.

26 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

To compare Leicester to Fulham and Middlesbrough is complete nonsense. Since JWP made his Southampton debut they’ve won the league, the cup, got out of their champions league group and played in Europe a further 3 times. They’re clearly a step up from us on every conceivable measure. 

They’re also ahead of us on stadium size and potential numbers through the door. They’ve had a season ticket waitlist for some time and have plans afoot to increase their stadium size to 40k.

We are similar to Leicester in that our stadiums currently look much the same. Aside from that, right now they are clearly a step up.

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

51 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

They’re also ahead of us on stadium size and potential numbers through the door. They’ve had a season ticket waitlist for some time and have plans afoot to increase their stadium size to 40k.

We are similar to Leicester in that our stadiums currently look much the same. Aside from that, right now they are clearly a step up.

They can most likely offer a player better wages but nothing else particularly significant. Players don’t care about season ticket waiting lists and potential catchment areas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I think he would get "lost" at Liverpool, City and Chelsea. You only have to look at Grealish and see how much he is struggling for game time. Can't help feeling the same would happen to JWP. I think the only real serious destination for him would be Arsenal.

I think you’re spot on, Arsenal would be a good fit and I guess he’d be comfortable there !

Hope he doesn’t go though….

15 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

They can most likely offer a player better wages but nothing else particularly significant. Players don’t care about season ticket waiting lists and potential catchment areas.

Disagree. They can offer players the possibility of competing, certainly more than Saints can. Granted, they’re not likely to win the title again soon. But they’re now a side who genuinely aim for a European finish and lower mid table is seen as failure. That’s a significant step up.

It may be only a short term thing, we’ll see, but it’s a fair assessment of now.

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Net spend league?

Proximity to the New Forest?

Edited by notnowcato

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Better manager, more money, more potential…. I’d jump at the chance to go there if I was him. 

6 minutes ago, Dman said:

Better manager, more money, more potential…. I’d jump at the chance to go there if I was him. 

Aside from another badly disguised dig at Ralph, nobody is going to up sticks and move jobs to work with the mighty Brendan Rodgers. Clubs change managers like socks anyway, he might not be there is six months.

Money I've already said as a given, IF they think he's worth that and are willing to fork out the transfer fee to match.

'More potential' is vague and meaningless. More potential to do what? Fight for 7th place with Villa, West Ham, Wolves or any other club who has an above average season.

19 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Aside from another badly disguised dig at Ralph, nobody is going to up sticks and move jobs to work with the mighty Brendan Rodgers. Clubs change managers like socks anyway, he might not be there is six months.

Money I've already said as a given, IF they think he's worth that and are willing to fork out the transfer fee to match.

'More potential' is vague and meaningless. More potential to do what? Fight for 7th place with Villa, West Ham, Wolves or any other club who has an above average season.

Rodgers is a bigger name than Ralph and arguably (definitely imo) a better manager. 

more potential as in an owner who’s willing to invest more in the squad and a squad who’s more likely to have a chance of Europe than us. They have the opportunity to compete and win a trophy. We don’t. 

Surely it’s not even a debate that Leicester are a more attractive club than us at the minute. 

FWIW, I’d also say West Ham, Villa and wolves are also a more attractive option than us. 

Edited by Dman

2 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It’s a step up, that’s clearly not debatable. Whether it’s a big enough step up to attract JWP is a different argument. 

Probably not, he’ll likely hold out for something bigger, which IMO I doubt will come. 

5 minutes ago, Dman said:

Probably not, he’ll likely hold out for something bigger, which IMO I doubt will come. 

I’m not his biggest fan, but I think you’re wrong. In the era of 5 subs and him being English, I’d be amazed if one of the big 6 doesn’t come in for him. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dman said:

Rodgers is a bigger name than Ralph and arguably (definitely imo) a better manager. 

more potential as in an owner who’s willing to invest more in the squad and a squad who’s more likely to have a chance of Europe than us. They have the opportunity to compete and win a trophy. We don’t. 

Surely it’s not even a debate that Leicester are a more attractive club than us at the minute. 

FWIW, I’d also say West Ham, Villa and wolves are also a more attractive option than us. 

Yep, that Leicester are bigger and better than us at the moment shouldn't even be a discussion. That said, I agree with Lighthouse that I can't see him going to Leicester. My understanding is that he's on his way this summer though, no idea where, but I'm with Lord Duckhunter that I reckon he'll end up at a top 6 club, although I can't see him being a regular starter at any of them. 

• Like 2

I don’t think Bertrand or Vestergaard will be too positive about their moves to Leicester, either. Earning more money, but they’ve both had nightmares. Probably more down to their now in Bertrand’s case limited skill set, but they won’t see it that way.

JWP is not leaving us to go to Leicester.

Proper big club or he stays.

Not entirely convinced a proper big club will come in for him because his price will be high due to his contract but I think more likely this close season than last.

• Like 1

not sure if the poster who wrote about Talksport employing Austin was being serious, as the transcript of the news article is from a Talksport clip. His bitterness towards us shines through on it; Andy Goldstein did point out Leicester are only two points above us. Austin also mentions how we've been on a downward spiral since Koeman, which is a bit of an extreme description imo. If that was the case we'd be lingering in 16th place in the Championship.

My main worry would be Newcastle coming in with a bid, which realistically may happen. If they offered, say £80 million, then I think we are selling. I've been JWP's biggest critic in the past, but believe now he could do a job at a bigger club like Utd. Still not sure if, as stupid as it sounds, he's a big enough name.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, egg said:

Yep, that Leicester are bigger and better than us at the moment shouldn't even be a discussion. That said, I agree with Lighthouse that I can't see him going to Leicester. My understanding is that he's on his way this summer though, no idea where, but I'm with Lord Duckhunter that I reckon he'll end up at a top 6 club, although I can't see him being a regular starter at any of them. 

I think he gets regular starts at Arsenal or Tottenham. Jesus, Hoijberg gets a lot of game time at Spurs. I hope he doesn't go but think he will and if I was him so would I. It's clearly time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Just got back from Harrogate v Swindon a 1-1 draw where former saint Kayne Ramsey played right back for Harrogate and Charlie Austin was up front for Swindon. I didn’t realise league two football was walking football but Charlie seems to think it is, strolled around the pitch for 70 minutes barely touching the ball, did absolutely nothing got subbed after 70 minutes. In a pretty dreadful game which finally came alive with about 15 minutes to go it was incredible to think he once got called up for England and had Alan Shearer urging Newcastle to sign him as they love a striker up there.