Pre-Season 2019 Thread

SuperSAINT

Why do some of our travelling morons decide to give them a dose of “your f**king ****”? Nothing like showing the best of the club in a friendly for crying out loud. Morons.

Proper tinpot after 90th min goal in a preseason friendly.

I hope Ralph doesn’t persevere with 4-2-2-2.

It looks like he will vary between 3-4-3 and 4-2-2 depending on opposition and injuries/form.

Its good for us to have two options I think. We clearly need a top quality Centre back and ideally a top quality CDM (or we gotta give Lemina a slap and convince him to do a job for us as he is top quality when focussed).

So...given that we dont have either of these I think we need to be playing it safe and having 5 at the back when defending. It will be desperate but we can then go and outscore teams to win.

We have somewhere between 4 and 6 top quality forwards. We have good full backs. I dont think we will go down and if we can get a couple of quality defensive minded players and get rid of dead wood then we could challenge top half.

Why do some of our travelling morons decide to give them a dose of “your f**king ****”? Nothing like showing the best of the club in a friendly for crying out loud. Morons.

Got bored of chanting the Yoshida dog eating one then. Top fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some food for thought there. I know we made 10 changes at half time and they made 2, so we were fresher, but several of the second half team did well.

McCarthy was secure, with three good saves.

Cedric, as usual, didn't show a lot in attack but was better than Valery defensively. Hoedt actually looked good. Vokins was caught out on occasions but grew into the game. Reed added bite as did Armstrong who also showed good attacking movement. Boufal was sometimes wasteful, but played one good pass towards Obafemi towards the end and took his goal well. Obafemi was quick and strong.

With Djenepo to come in I think we've now got good attacking options.

Would still love a commanding CB but Vestergaard was decent and Hoedt a revelation. The most worrying thing was how easily balls were threaded through our three CBs whose speed of turning and recovery is a cause for concern.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

With the back 3 we were far too open down the sides of the CBs, that happened less often in the 2nd half .

Cedric and Hoedt looked good and Boufal was a good outlet, winning lots of free-kicks . Liked the look of Smallbone, but we seem to only have Romeu as a proper Defensive midfield, as all the rest seem to run around a lot and hope to be in the right place at the right time.

Special mention for Shane Long who was awful.

Would be ****ing hilarious if Hoedt and Boufal compete for Saints player of the season. How will some cope with a dry bed?

Hoedt being called a revelation after 45mins of pretty meaningless preseason is a stretch (if we’re going to play that game, then let’s not forget he was atrocious against Preston last weekend).

I know it’s SaintsWeb tradition to crown the next worldbeater but Hoedt has a pretty big hole to climb out of -and if he does manage it, then great. But it won’t invalidate the fully justified criticism of him over the past couple of seasons.

Absolutely nowt to do with bedwetting except to those who are too dim to understand the difference between overreaction and justified criticism.

Hoedt being called a revelation after 45mins of pretty meaningless preseason is a stretch (if we’re going to play that game, then let’s not forget he was atrocious against Preston last weekend).

I know it’s SaintsWeb tradition to crown the next worldbeater but Hoedt has a pretty big hole to climb out of -and if he does manage it, then great. But it won’t invalidate the fully justified criticism of him over the past couple of seasons.

Absolutely nowt to do with bedwetting except to those who are too dim to understand the difference between overreaction and justified criticism.

Did anyone say Hoedt was a revelation?

Basically people said he looked solid Which was true based on the 45 mins he played.

No overeaction here

Some food for thought there. I know we made 10 changes at half time and they made 2, so we were fresher, but several of the second half team did well.

McCarthy was secure, with three good saves.

Cedric, as usual, didn't show a lot in attack but was better than Valery defensively. Hoedt actually looked good. Vokins was caught out on occasions but grew into the game. Reed added bite as did Armstrong who also showed good attacking movement. Boufal was sometimes wasteful, but played one good pass towards Obafemi towards the end and took his goal well. Obafemi was quick and strong.

With Djenepo to come in I think we've now got good attacking options.

Would still love a commanding CB but Vestergaard was decent and Hoedt a revelation. The most worrying thing was how easily balls were threaded through our three CBs whose speed of turning and recovery is a cause for concern.

Special mention for Shane Long who was awful.

These about sum it up.

I didn’t say it would happen just that it would be hilarious.

It’s another Saintsweb tradition to utterly trash our players. Trash them if they stay to warm the bench, trash them if they leave, trash them if they make a mistake, trash them because somehow a $12-18M player should be tearing up the league week in week out.

We’re a work in progress hampered by poor management from Les, a bit of patience and lowered expectation would go a long way,

Did anyone say Hoedt was a revelation?

Basically people said he looked solid Which was true based on the 45 mins he played.

No overeaction here

Yes a poster called him a revelation. And no you’ve misunderstood my point. My point being that if Hoedt turns things around, it won’t disprove, invalidate or be one in the eye for the alleged ‘bedwetters’ criticism of him over the past two seasons.

You've added a lot of vat to what's been said! The reality is that the lad has been given credit where its due - give it a try.

I didn’t say it would happen just that it would be hilarious.

It’s another Saintsweb tradition to utterly trash our players. Trash them if they stay to warm the bench, trash them if they leave, trash them if they make a mistake, trash them because somehow a $12-18M player should be tearing up the league week in week out.

We’re a work in progress hampered by poor management from Les, a bit of patience and lowered expectation would go a long way,

For some it is -and in cases where a player has been written off prematurely but subsequently turned things around, then the bedwetter label is justified. In Hoedt’s case, he’s been at the club two seasons. People forget that Hoedt was actually given quite a lot of slack when he first arrived and his performances first started to dip (in part due to the relatively solid start he made - think Palace away under Pellegrino).

You've added a lot of vat to what's been said! The reality is that the lad has been given credit where its due - give it a try.

Exactly. We’ve got RaHa now so maybe everyone should get a clean slate and we get behind the ****ing team. If they don’t play well then they won’t feature in Ralph’s plans (unless we have no choice due to injuries/suspensions).

You’re missing the point. I’m all for giving credit where it’s due. He had a solid half and hopefully it’s a first small step to reestablishing himself as a valuable member of the squad. If he comes good, it’ll be one less position and financial problem we have to think about or resolve.

Rather the point is addressed at those who throw around the bedwetter label willy-nilly. Not only is it jumping the gun but it demonstrates a lack of understanding of the meaning of the term -when it applies and when it doesn’t.

Edited by shurlock

You’re missing the point. I’m all for giving credit where it’s due. He had a solid half and hopefully it’s a first small step to reestablishing himself as a valuable member of the squad. If he comes good, it’ll be one less position and financial problem we have to think about or resolve.

Rather the point is addressed at those who throw around the bedwetter label willy-nilly. Not only is it jumping the gun but it demonstrates a lack of understanding of the meaning of the term -when it applies and when it doesn’t.

I'm not sure how/why you lurched from a few posters giving due credit, to a rant against "bedwetters".

All I learnt from that, primarily from the 2nd half, is that is that we've at least 8 players that will bring nothing to the team.

I hope Klarer turns out to be a good CB as with a few injuries we'd be screwed at the back.

Too many on here have shown too much enjoyment from being “proved right” as opposed to when we actually play well and win.

Yep. Call things as they are. Not as you hope/want/expect/presume etc.

Yep. Call things as they are. Not as you hope/want/expect/presume etc.

In response to someone who’s fantasising and conjuring up a bright future where Hoedt rehabilitates himself and proves the ‘bedwetters’ wrong. I suspect the irony’s lost on you :lol: Perhaps you should tell your little pal to practice what he preaches.

The squad is an absolute mess.

A right back with half a season and a right back we want to sell.

One left back and a completely untried youngster.

fit.

Like when we had a left back with half a season and an untried right back in (Shaw and chambers)

One right back(clyne) and an unwanted left back(Fox)

In response to someone who’s fantasising and conjuring up a bright future where Hoedt rehabilitates himself and proves the ‘bedwetters’ wrong. I suspect the irony’s lost on you :lol: Perhaps you should tell your little pal to practice what he preaches.

Shame on me for hoping Saints players do well.

I prefer the type of irony that has an element of humour to it. Or some actual irony.

Shame on me for hoping Saints players do well.

Nice strawman. You made a tit of yourself and were pulled up on it. Why not practice what you preach -enjoy the performance and result and leave it at that. Save the bedwetter fantasies for your own private amusement.

Edited by shurlock

Was a good day out with my mate.

In the first half in the first 20mins it felt like we should of been 3 nil up, the press was excellent in shutting down Feyenoord, much better than we've done before. After that it became who had the least worst defence as feyenoord starting ping balls behind our defenders. Their left winger and midfielder who scored (think he's 19) played well.

2nd half the changes and formation change just made everything look disjointed. Feyenoord ran the show and we survived.

Reed really was everywhere so he has harmed his chances.

I felt our midfield in the 1st half was getting overrun, but if we had had Reed in there instead of JWP I'm not sure it would of.

Nice strawman. You made a tit of yourself and were pulled up on it. Why not practice what you preach -enjoy the performance and result and leave it at that. Save the bedwetter fantasies for your own private amusement.

Ok then. I won’t upset you anymore. I’ll try to be more empathetic, thanks for bringing me up on it.

Someone claimed that it would be hilarious if he came good and how it would upset the bedwetters.
I simply don't get how any genuine Saints fan could be disappointed by a player who's had a bad season and been written off working hard, responding to coaching and becoming a much better player.

It happens. Look at Redmond, Bednarek and Ward-Prowse. And every time a player steps up to do a job, it saves the club gambling millions on replacements.

Hoedt has a way to go, but today his clearing headers were stronger than Vestergaard, he put in some good tackles and made no silly mistakes. It's a good start.

I simply don't get how any genuine Saints fan could be disappointed by a player who's had a bad season and been written off working hard, responding to coaching and becoming a much better player.

It happens. Look at Redmond, Bednarek and Ward-Prowse. And every time a player steps up to do a job, it saves the club gambling millions on replacements.

Hoedt has a way to go, but today his clearing headers were stronger than Vestergaard, he put in some good tackles and made no silly mistakes. It's a good start.

What did I say that’s inconsistent with that? I said it would be great if Hoedt turned things around.

What did I say that’s inconsistent with that? I said it would be great if Hoedt turned things around.
Sorry. I quoted you but meant to be referencing certain other posters - those who consistently delight in running down our players.

Was a good day out with my mate.

In the first half in the first 20mins it felt like we should of been 3 nil up, the press was excellent in shutting down Feyenoord, much better than we've done before. After that it became who had the least worst defence as feyenoord starting ping balls behind our defenders. Their left winger and midfielder who scored (think he's 19) played well.

2nd half the changes and formation change just made everything look disjointed. Feyenoord ran the show and we survived.

Reed really was everywhere so he has harmed his chances.

I felt our midfield in the 1st half was getting overrun, but if we had had Reed in there instead of JWP I'm not sure it would of.

Good summary CC, too bad Feyenoord missed their CF Jorgensen who is a much better striker. Berghuis also played well, too bad he lacks the power and pace for the PL. His passing game would really add something to Saints.

Good to see a youngster like Obafemi on the pitch too, though it was only 45 minutes you could clearly see his potential.

Good summary CC, too bad Feyenoord missed their CF Jorgensen who is a much better striker. Berghuis also played well, too bad he lacks the power and pace for the PL. His passing game would really add something to Saints.

Good to see a youngster like Obafemi on the pitch too, though it was only 45 minutes you could clearly see his potential.

I think the original Van Hanegem was there on the pitch today for the photos before the match and I also walked past Dirk Kuyt.

Really good atmosphere and I'm going back for sure for a normal game as the fans can make it awesome.

Yeah my mate said Jorgensen was good but then was injured last year.

Note to all Saints fans, Feyenoord haven't won 1 game in pre-season I think

I think the original Van Hanegem was there on the pitch today for the photos before the match and I also walked past Dirk Kuyt.

Really good atmosphere and I'm going back for sure for a normal game as the fans can make it awesome.

Yeah my mate said Jorgensen was good but then was injured last year.

Note to all Saints fans, Feyenoord haven't won 1 game in pre-season I think

Feyenoord did win against Karlsruhe... :)

But I don’t care much about victories in pre-season as it’s more important to see wether a team is making progress. Feyenoord plays much better now van Bronckhorst has finally gone, it’s just the central defenders who are horrifying with their stupid mistakes.

I haven’t seen much of the pre-season of Saints, I wasn’t impressed with what the squad showed today. Was it better in Austria?

Preseason all about fitness and fine tuning things although not sure whisking around to Austria, Ireland, China & Holland does us any good. Just pick one and stick there for a few weeks or games.

Last season when we got dicked at Derby in a friendly and we knew it would be a long season. This pre-season feels different and a more positive vibe around the place.

Certainly feels a lot nice winning the pre-season games than not, is there only one more to go? Season doesn't feel too far away now! :)

Preseason all about fitness and fine tuning things although not sure whisking around to Austria, Ireland, China & Holland does us any good. Just pick one and stick there for a few weeks or games.

Austria, Ireland and Holland are not long trips that will have any real impact on the players. The China trip only involved a small number of first team players.