Pre-Season 2019 Thread

SuperSAINT

I note that the China squad were in and out, played their game and kept on the same body clock time all the way through. Some of the other top teams have done far more travelling than us, so I'm not too worried about the impact.

Feyenoord were a step up, at least, and as RH said helped the learning process. We all know already about our defensive frailties, so here's hoping on that front. No Austin or Lemina, so perhaps they'll take the hint and take whatever offer comes their way.

In the second half we gave the ball away a bit cheaply and rather too many fouls, but it was our second string. Nice to see Vokins (?) at full back has a bit of pace even if raw and although just a friendly Boufal's goal was well taken and he gradually got into the game after a slowish start. He certainly started drawing the fouls well and let's hope it all helps his confidence.

What exactly are you disagreeing with?

How does a 90 minute flight to Dublin have a tangible negative impact on the squad? It takes longer than that to drive to Preston for a friendly! Austria and Rotterdam are not long flights either.

Boufal was in Southampton and booked into a hotel by about 8 yesterday.

The actual flight times were approx. under an hour to AMS, about an hour to DUB, under forty mins to MAN on the Bombardier Q400. Quicker if by chartered Jet. About 20 mins to add either end on ground. Can be longer at AMS and MAN using the southern runway.

What exactly are you disagreeing with?

How does a 90 minute flight to Dublin have a tangible negative impact on the squad? It takes longer than that to drive to Preston for a friendly! Austria and Rotterdam are not long flights either.

Fair enough but I would prefer the players to have 6 extra days full training, bonding, learning tactics etc than using it to travel, given our preseason is only 3 weeks or so. You most likely lose a morning at best, and then would only be able to do light training for a couple of hours late afternoon. Not to mention first team players being split up and sent around the world in some instances. Seems a bit crap but I supposed we have Chinese commitments now.

The Saints XI tonight.

@EastleighFC: Here's how @SouthamptonFC U23s lineup this evening

Lewis, Olufunwa, Ledwidge, O'Connor, O'Driscoll, Ramsay, Jankewitz, Slattery, Nlundulu, Hansen, Barnes.

SUBS: Kozak, Scott, Tchaptchet, Freeman, Watts, Johnson

Could he be injured?

Hesketh does have a minor injury, seems par for the course doesn’t it? I think this might have slowed down his exit to be honest. But I still expect him to leave this window.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Saints XI tonight.

We won. 1-0. N'Lundulu

Hesketh does have a minor injury, seems par for the course doesn’t it? I think this might have slowed down his exit to be honest. But I still expect him to leave this window.

Good player. He will do well if he joins the right club.

A lab experiment involving simulation is not medical evidence.

As a scientist, this comment hurt me.

Of course it is, why do you think people bother doing these studies?! And simulation is great and absolutely aids the study not diminishes otherwise, again, why would they do it?

Big test this week after last seasons home friendly thrashing and without Rohl we are doomed :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that Monchengladbach thrashing was a shambolic performance under Hughes, the warning signs were there for what was to come.

Any German football enthusiasts able to give us an insight on what to expect from FC Koln? Not many tickets sold for the game, probably be 15k there with walk ups so the opposition hasn't captured the imagination, hopefully a few away fans travel to create a bit of atmosphere.

Yeah that Monchengladbach thrashing was a shambolic performance under Hughes, the warning signs were there for what was to come.

Any German football enthusiasts able to give us an insight on what to expect from FC Koln? Not many tickets sold for the game, probably be 15k there with walk ups so the opposition hasn't captured the imagination, hopefully a few away fans travel to create a bit of atmosphere.

Not a well known name, but historically a decent sized club. They've won the Bundesliga a few times back in the 70s I think. Promoted to the top flight last season after a couple of years out of it scoring 84 goals in 34 games so potentially a real test for our defence.

By no means an enthusiast but went to watch them last November when they beat Dresden 8-1. Had a big lad up top who was a real handful. Won the league comfortably last year and it was a bit of a shock when they were relegated the year before as they were playing in the Europa League that year I believe. Should be a decent test I think. A lively atmosphere as well I hope.

Let's hope some of their fans pop over for a bit of a holiday trip like ours did to Feyenoord, taking advantage of the weak £. A friend and I got our tickets yesterday and missed out on the cheap prices for ST holders, but this time of year nobody wants to commit early. I was going on a sailing trip that fell through and likewise I'm sure they'll be a bit of a walk up of others who haven't decided earlier.

Yeah I remember the Arsenal Europa league game when they had 20k or so fans matching around London and storming the gates at the Emirates trying to get in, can’t see a repeat of those scenes but I’ve heard that’s why they’ve not put the chapel stand on sale , it’s being kept as an overflow for Koln just in case

By no means an enthusiast but went to watch them last November when they beat Dresden 8-1. Had a big lad up top who was a real handful. Won the league comfortably last year and it was a bit of a shock when they were relegated the year before as they were playing in the Europa League that year I believe. Should be a decent test I think. A lively atmosphere as well I hope.

They indeed have an illustrious history - three times German Champions since the second world war and 7 times runners up. I remember them losing 8-1 in Dundee in the 1962-63 European Cup and then pulling back 4 goals in the first hour of the second leg.

They indeed have an illustrious history - three times German Champions since the second world war and 7 times runners up. I remember them losing 8-1 in Dundee in the 1962-63 European Cup and then pulling back 4 goals in the first hour of the second leg.

I have it on good authority, Djeneppo hat-trick today [emoji1360]

Leg injury. Minor procedure to fix according to the OS.

Counting down until the conspiracy theories start appearing ....

.... his assistant leaves, no CB signed, few sales.....he must be fed up.....etc