Pre-Season 2019 Thread

SuperSAINT

Central midfield looks very light, if Lemina goes then we must replace him.

& the problem is that money is probably being eyed-up to go on a defender.

I wonder if Ralph will rate Slattery/Smallbone/Reed as enough to compensate*?

(* I know what the consensus on that will be on here :D)

If we assume that we will play between 2 and 4 proper attacking players (JWP doesnt count as this) and first choice will be 2 or 3 (if fit) from Ings, Adams and Redmond will always start as things stand today.

So we can afford to have an additional 2 proper attacking players on the bench from.this group:

Mo

Djenepo

Boufel

long

Austin

Obafemi

Sims

Armstrong

2 from 8. We know we want Austing gone so thats 7.

Which 2 from the 7 though? I guess you could stretch it to 3 places but that is still 4 players missing out. So inthink its very feasible that we will sell or loan at least 2 more players in addition to Austin. I am mot convinced Boufel will be one of them to leave. It will be easier to sell or loan sims and obafemi due to wage demands.

Agreed. We dont have much quality in CB positions but we at leasr gave some. We are really short of CDM players that can tackle. I would prefer Romeu to be backup fo 1 or 2 decent CDMs. It is such a shane Lemina isnt up for it.

The squad is an absolute mess.

Three GKs and our best one is probably the worst paid.

A right back with half a season and a right back we want to sell.

One left back and a completely untried youngster.

5 centre backs, of which only one can run at any speed, one is awful at defending and one has been pushed out previously for ineptitude and bellendry.

Two central midfielders and one who is desperate to leave and seems like a massive bellend.

Loads of attacking midfielders, but only one of them is any good consistently. Djenepo hopefully adds to that.

Upfront we are ok if people stay fit.

5 centre backs, of which only one can run at any speed, one is awful at defending and one has been pushed out previously for ineptitude and bellendry.

Two central midfielders and one who is desperate to leave and seems like a massive bellend.

Loads of attacking midfielders, but only one of them is any good consistently. Djenepo hopefully adds to that.

I definitely thought there would have been more of an overhaul this summer than there has been so far.

The squad needed/needs freshening up. Not Villa style with 11 new players but with four or five rather than two.

Ultimately, most of our current squad have only known failure at Saints.

I definitely thought there would have been more of an overhaul this summer than there has been so far.

The squad needed/needs freshening up. Not Villa style with 11 new players but with four or five rather than two.

We are paying the consequences of Wee Ross and Reeds ineptitude over the last few years.

It will take a while and money we don’t have to fix and why we are reliant on youth to come through.

I am not as suicidal as Benji sounds and the window isn’t shut yet.

We are stuck with back 5 and Moussa and Reed can be added to players that can do a job as wing backs.

I saw enough of Moussa to see how much he tracked and cover the left instead of Vokins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, if we are looking to be brutally honest then yes, cant argue with any of that !

I think we’re trying but no one wants our dross.

Well, if we are looking to be brutally honest then yes, cant argue with any of that !

I can! ;)

True, but does that have any impact on what Gunn does in a game?

Do you know for certain the club is looking to sell Cedric?

So what? If Hasenhuttl thinks Vokins is ready, then why not trust his judgement?

A new centre back would be useful, and Hasenhuttl appears confident we'll be making further signings. Lets see what happens in the next two weeks.

We have more than two who can play there... Hojbjerg, Romeu, Ward-Prowse, Slattery, Smallbone and Armstrong

I think most fans could be similarly critical of their squads and this transfer window. Nobody else has done anything astonishing and Palace and Newcastle look decidedly weaker.

Last season's squad, with Ralph, Adams and Djenepo, should be capable of a comfortable mid-table finish and some entertaining games along the way. The rest of the problems are mainly financial. Next summer we will lose Long, Cedric, Austin, Sims and maybe Yoshida. That will free up some space on the wage bill for a couple more decent players.

Surprised they haven't asked you to select and manage the team. Needless waste of money bringing in that untested Austrian bloke.

Two weeks to go, a bit early for meltdowns.

No meltdown here, but it's true that our squad at the moment is a complete mess and one nailed on for relegation. Except for the fact that we have Ralph. He'll steer us to safety with a couple games to spare I think. It's not going to be a pleasant season with this squad but RH will be our saving grace IMO.

No meltdown here, but it's true that our squad at the moment is a complete mess and one nailed on for relegation. Except for the fact that we have Ralph. He'll steer us to safety with a couple games to spare I think. It's not going to be a pleasant season with this squad but RH will be our saving grace IMO.

Our points per game average under Hasenhuttl would have us in 11th last season over a 38 game season. With a full pre-season and additions of Adams, Djenepro and hopefully a couple of others we should be some distance away from mere survival.

Our points per game average under Hasenhuttl would have us in 11th last season over a 38 game season. With a full pre-season and additions of Adams, Djenepro and hopefully a couple of others we should be some distance away from mere survival.

Just to point out that it did dip a bit as the season went on. Either way we should be fine - barring injuries and a poor run/loss of confidence.

I can! ;)

True, but does that have any impact on what Gunn does in a game?

Do you know for certain the club is looking to sell Cedric?

So what? If Hasenhuttl thinks Vokins is ready, then why not trust his judgement?

A new centre back would be useful, and Hasenhuttl appears confident we'll be making further signings. Lets see what happens in the next two weeks.

We have more than two who can play there... Hojbjerg, Romeu, Ward-Prowse, Slattery, Smallbone and Armstrong

MLG - assuming we want to play a 4-2-2-2 then I would say Armstrong and JWP are really competing for the middle 2 rather than the defensive 2.

Smallbone has historically been a no10 so falls into the same category and Slattery has barely been with the squad in pre season.

Only Romeu and Hojbjerg really fit that position, so we are definitely one short there.

Re Gunn, surely the point being made is that we have two GKs on massive wages who won't actually be playing. Thats a **** up, no question about it.

Team announced. Very much what I expect as first choice as long as we need three CBs

Gunn

Valery Vestergaard Yoshida Bednarek Bertrand

Hojbjerg JWP

Adams Redmond

Ings

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Hopefully Bednarek on the right rather than the left.