Pre-Season 2019 Thread

SuperSAINT

Not really sure what the point in going to Ireland was really?

Probably hoped for some wet weather training. :p

Think its a way of getting everyone together to hammer home the strategy without them being able to sod off home after each session to play X-Box or get another tattoo and forget half of it.

Am off to the game in Rotterdam on Sunday, I expect a world class performance as I'm off with a Feyenoord fan.

Going as well. Are there many going. Had to phone up Feyenoord this morning. Very friendly, he said we like Southampton but not Tottenham lol.

Going as well. Are there many going. Had to phone up Feyenoord this morning. Very friendly, he said we like Southampton but not Tottenham lol.

Nice one - been past the stadium a lot but never been inside, its a proper football stadium and looking at the feyenoord tickets it looks like the stands that they have open at least will have a decent amount of people there.

Went to a Feyenoord game April 18, and was absolutely brilliant. Stadium is awesome, and the atmosphere was superb, admittedly I was in the home end and they did win 4-0 I think.

It's a great club. My wife is Dutch and her family are all Feyenoord supporters. It's actually cheaper for me to fly from Dublin to Amsterdam and get the train to Rotterdam to watch Feyenoord than it is to go to a Saints home game. Went to a good few games there last season and really enjoyed it.

Every mention of Feyenoord makes me remember that day in Arnhem and the rumours that it was their fans who turned up in the square for a ruck.

I've never been convinced it was but a lot of people seemed to think it at the time.

So much so that I think around 19 Tottenham fans were stabbed when they met each other in the 80’s

I think the ill feeling goes back before then into the 1970's when Norf London yobbos rioted over there in a UEFA Cup match (c 1972 -74). Was one of the early outbreaks of English yobs on the continent and caused quite a shock in the media

I'm feeling much more positive about the team this upcoming season. We look so much more dangerous as an attacking force and can really see us turning over a few teams. I suspect our inability to keep clean sheets will keep our feet on the ground, but still should be an exciting season ahead.

An article on Mike Trout? Doesn’t seem Saints related, sounds more like Pompey to me...
I'm glad I'm not the only one who was confused by it. I thought it was a link to the video of the guy catching the ball that was meant to be saints related....! Struggling to find the link...... [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Bit of a random question, but does anyone who went to the previous Feyenoord friendly recall whether beer was available in stadium for visiting fans? Looking forward to the novelty of having a pint whilst watching the game but believe Dutch football can have a bit of fan trouble so didn't know if sales were restricted.

Bit of a random question, but does anyone who went to the previous Feyenoord friendly recall whether beer was available in stadium for visiting fans? Looking forward to the novelty of having a pint whilst watching the game but believe Dutch football can have a bit of fan trouble so didn't know if sales were restricted.

Beer was definitely available inside the ground but despite having several it didn't seem to have much effect. Subsequently discovered that it was about 2% strength !

Credit to him for that then but it still does't stop him from being a shortarse who is easily beaten in the air at the back post too often.

Sometimes you can be a pain in the arse. Give the lad a chance, relooks fit, he looks involved and he is playing well. He deserves to start if he can maintain the level of intensity his own dynamic.

Good to see Sofiane Boufal in Dublin and a very warm greeting from Ralph. We could be in for a few surprises when the full squad list is finalised.

Cedric, Boufal written off and derided by most on here and will be good to see a few of these critics eating some humble pie. What Weill the do when they have nobody to snipe at?

Great to see Ricky Lambert back in the building - well at least in China - with hopefully a contract as a goalscoring coach in the offing. Maya too seems to be heading in that direction with the U23s?

Also just spoke to my Feyenoord supporting mate and season ticket holders can go free there and it's their 1st home game for the season so it's always a big one and he reckons they will get 30-40k turn up and you can hardly buy anymore tickets on their website sat together [emoji50]

Will be bloody impressed if they do that would be awesome.

Also just spoke to my Feyenoord supporting mate and season ticket holders can go free there and it's their 1st home game for the season so it's always a big one and he reckons they will get 30-40k turn up and you can hardly buy anymore tickets on their website sat together [emoji50]

It'll be the 3rd friendly this summer at De Kuip...

vs Panathinaikos on 17th July

vs Angers on 24th July

No idea he's Dutch, maybe it's the free for season ticket holders bit for this one.

Doesn't matter should be a great game and atmosphere for sure.

They also just signed Leory Fer so they are excited and Jaap Stam is the coach.

Edited by Convict Colony

Why weren't those 'proper ones'?

The news story announcing the game on Feyenoord's website did seem to highlight it is being different to the other pre-season games, referring to it as "the opening game of the 19/20 season" and "the traditional opening competition":

https://www.feyenoord.nl/nieuws/nieuwsoverzicht/openingswedstrijd-seizoen-1920-070619

"Feyenoord receives Southampton in opening match

Feyenoord will face Southampton in the opening game of the 2019-2020 season. The traditional last exhibition game in De Kuip before the start of a new season will be played this year on Sunday 28 July. The kick-off is that day at 2:30 PM. Season ticket holders have automatic access to the traditional opening competition."

As it should be over here too for ST holders for 'friendlies', the money generated is nothing for PL clubs but the players would benefit from fuller stands and slightly improved atmosphere.

Not sure if it’s been mentioned before but it’s Carnival this weekend in Rotterdam, so the city will be a lot busier than usual. Lots of road closures and disruption to public transport, so allow extra time when planning your journey to the stadium!

New photos of the players on the OS in new kit. Austin and Lemina still listed in the First Team squad but Vokes omitted. Austin positively beaming - in an ironic way!

Yes, it seems to be the same players with the same squad numbers as before the photos were changed except that Jones (season loan), Johnson and Barnes are not now listed in the first team list - perhaps an indication they may be going out on loan?

What the OS has still not done is move any players between groups e.g. U23s who have joined the first team or U18s who have been promoted to the U23s. The new scholars are still to be listed. In fact the U23 and U18 lists are all over the place. All the players who were released this summer (e.g. Davis, Rowthorn, Afolabi, Mdlalose, Bradley-Green, Fleary, Bartlett) are all still listed. So is Parkes who we sold in January! The OS profiles always deal with loaned players pretty randomly - sometimes they retain their profile, other times not.

So no Stephens, Romeu or Moi in the Feyenoord squad.

Romeu only just trained the other day after missing some so presume he has a knock.

Possibly the other two are lined up to leave?

Can't imagine we would be that lucky. Injured?

Never would have imagined Cedric / Hoedt / Reed would have made this trip a few weeks ago.

Great that Smallbone made the cut.

Edited by SuperSAINT

So no Stephens, Romeu or Moi in the Feyenoord squad.

Romeu only just trained the other day after missing some so presume he has a knock.

Possibly the other two are lined up to leave?

Stephens same as Romeu, was missing from Dublin until yesterday, reappeared along with JWP