Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

2 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

Wonder how much he knows about momentum curves...

I'm fighting with every inch of my body not to wind you right up with this, but I can't bring myself to troll you that badly.

I know who you're referring to and no.

Southampton born and bred haha. This could be such a brutal wind up aswell. I'll let you off.

10 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Great stuff. Hopefully Ings stays this summer, and our younger players will have another years experience. 

Ralph needs to learn from his mistakes, because this season has turned into a massive disappointment but I do think he is the right person for the job, and I 100% back him. 

19 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Great stuff. Hopefully Ings stays this summer, and our younger players will have another years experience. 

Ralph needs to learn from his mistakes, because this season has turned into a massive disappointment but I do think he is the right person for the job, and I 100% back him. 

This has been a weird season by any standards.

On 05/04/2021 at 11:33, Sheaf Saint said:

I'm very much against sacking him. Yes things have gone badly wrong since January, but people need to realise that a lot of reasons for that have been outside of Ralph's control...

The horrific run of injuries compounded by our inability to use our recovery facilities and the condensed season making it impossible for him to rotate the starting 11 and rest what fit players we had.

The ridiculous run of bad luck with refereeing/VAR decisions which robbed us of points and sapped confidence.

If this had been a 'normal' season, I don't believe for a second that we would have had that terrible run of form, and we would be easily top half right now and not having this discussion.

Hear Hear. Nice to see some sense on here

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

So you're saying this season is a massive disappointment yet we are in an FA Cup Semi (our only realistic shot of silverware is a Cup) with a decent chance to make the Final.  If we win the Cup will you still say it is a disappointing season?

We are a bang average team that punched above its weight at the start of the season and due to numerous circumstances we have punched below our weight second half of the season.

But to call a Cup semi and never any realistic chance of relegation a "massive disappointment" feels like an overreaction.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, washsaint said:

So you're saying this season is a massive disappointment yet we are in an FA Cup Semi (our only realistic shot of silverware is a Cup) with a decent chance to make the Final.  If we win the Cup will you still say it is a disappointing season?

We are a bang average team that punched above its weight at the start of the season and due to numerous circumstances we have punched below our weight second half of the season.

But to call a Cup semi and never any realistic chance of relegation a "massive disappointment" feels like an overreaction.

Just depends on what the expectations were at the start of the season. My expectations were to finish top half but not top 6. So to reach an FA cup semi with a chance to still finish top half would be above expectations. Not sure what the posters expectations were/are but massive disappointment does seem a bit OTT.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Heisenberg said:

A season of two halves 

Part 1 = 8/10

Part 2 = 2/10

Overall 5.5 / 10

ill bump it up to a 7 or 8 depending on FA cup success 😆😁😄

I still like Ralph and feel he needs more backing from the owners. 

If we win the FA cup it'll be a 10/10 for me, likely in the top three seasons I would see from our club in my lifetime. Silverware beats top 6 for me, pretty level with top 4 but just about pips it.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, TWar said:

If we win the FA cup it'll be a 10/10 for me, likely in the top three seasons I would see from our club in my lifetime. Silverware beats top 6 for me, pretty level with top 4 but just about pips it.

Hard to disagree with this. Whatever people’s opinion of Ralph, if he pulls off the unlikely miracle of winning us the cup, he’ll go down as a legend of the club. 

• Like 2

Crying against Liverpool was the start of our horrific run of form, all for people showing their emotions but hope Ralph has learned from that. Was a bit embarrassing considering Liverpool have since lost to Burnley, Brighton, Fulham etc 

21 hours ago, TWar said:

You beat me to it. FA Cup + 17th (or higher) = 10/10

Ok, FA Cup and staying up on goal difference I may reduce it to 9.5/10

2 hours ago, JRM said:

Crying against Liverpool was the start of our horrific run of form, all for people showing their emotions but hope Ralph has learned from that. Was a bit embarrassing considering Liverpool have since lost to Burnley, Brighton, Fulham etc 

Myth, it started before that in December. It's just that Liverpool's own horrific form started at the same time as ours.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TWar said:

On the basis that it would involve beating city (chasing the quadruple) in a Wembley cup final, i think no saints fan should be under any illusions just how slim our chances of winning the cup are. For that reason alone i fully concur. It would be a 10/10 season. Given the insane wealth and squad disparity between our two clubs, it would be an equal achievement with 1976 for me.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Not for me I’m afraid. 

Second division team winning a competition where every single side that entered played a full side, and desperately wanted to win it. 

The financial gap between Saints in 2nd tier vs Man Utd in 1976 is tiny compared to Saints vs Man City/Chelsea in 2021.

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

The financial gap between Saints in 2nd tier vs Man Utd in 1976 is tiny compared to Saints vs Man City/Chelsea in 2021.

Good job it’s 22 players playing the match and not the two club bank balances then isn’t it.

Just now, Turkish said:

Good job it’s 22 players playing the match and not the two club bank balances then isn’t it.

The bank balances fund who makes up the 22 players. 

The gap between teams in top two leagues in the 1970s was tiny compared to today. Man City's 2021 setup vs ours is a huge gap in resources. And that is reflected on who plays in those 22 players.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Not for me I’m afraid. 

Second division team winning a competition where every single side that entered played a full side, and desperately wanted to win it. 

I can definitely empathise with that view and would have loved to have been there but will have to rely on my parents memories of being there that day. FA Cup was a very different competition then, only one club in the European Cup, UEFA Cup more highly regarded and ECWC of course which was more random but clubs wanted to win it. It would still be great if the unlikely happened and we did win it, but recognising it wouldn’t be the event it was in 1976. Man U started the rot in 99/00 and CL expansion did the rest. 

Having said that, you think of the players Lawrie had - Osgood, Channon, McCalliog - top players, Rodrigues had loads of big game experience. Peach would be a valuable LB now. Man U were talented but Saints could draw on a lot of experience that day that they don’t have with the current squad bar Bertrand say. 

19 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

The bank balances fund who makes up the 22 players. 

The gap between teams in top two leagues in the 1970s was tiny compared to today. Man City's 2021 setup vs ours is a huge gap in resources. And that is reflected on who plays in those 22 players.

A club with more money can buy better players. Such insight!

You ask any football fan over 55 “who won the cup in 76” and they’ll say Southampton, I bet they’ll even say Bobby Stokes. You can bet your life in 15 years time not many will remember the year Wigan won it, let alone who scored the winner. It just ain’t the same anymore and I for one am glad I was around when it did mean something. Now mid table sides don’t play a full strength team until the quarter finals, it’s sad what’s happened to a great competition. 

• Like 2

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

My original point which you didn't grasp was that the gap in finances in 2021 between Saints and Man City is vastly bigger than the 1976 gap even though we were in the 2nd tier.

I grasped it. It’s fucking obvious. You obviously missed Duck hunters point though but no surprises there, ever thought about being a limbo dancer?

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

You ask any football fan over 55 “who won the cup in 76” and they’ll say Southampton, I bet they’ll even say Bobby Stokes. You can bet your life in 15 years time not many will remember the year Wigan won it, let alone who scored the winner. It just ain’t the same anymore and I for one am glad I was around when it did mean something. Now mid table sides don’t play a full strength team until the quarter finals, it’s sad what’s happened to a great competition. 

Ask any football fan over 35 what one of the best days of the year was and they’d say FA cup final day. The third round draw was exciting, the early round attendances bigger than league games. Like you said every team went for it from the very early first round they entered. Now you’ve got nuggets like MLG banging on about the financial gap between clubs. It’s tragic what’s happened to the FA cup that quite a few of our fans would swap staying in the premier league every year for winning it, just so it helps our bank balance 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Ask any football fan over 35 what one of the best days of the year was and they’d say FA cup final day. The third round draw was exciting, the early round attendances bigger than league games. Like you said every team went for it from the very early first round they entered. Now you’ve got nuggets like MLG banging on about the financial gap between clubs. It’s tragic what’s happened to the FA cup that quite a few of our fans would swap staying in the premier league every year for winning it, just so it helps our bank balance 

That wasn't my point at all. 🙄

17 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Ben Watson?

And I'll never forget him and I'll tell you why aswell, when we played Palace years ago he smashed the ball straight into my face in the warmup and I asked who the ginger twat was. 

On 08/04/2021 at 19:21, washsaint said:

A fair point...my point was more about the league season, after having 30 points in January, and only being sat on 36 now, is a massive disappointment.  But yes, of course if you said at the start of the season would I be happy with a cup semi final and staying up, then yes of course. But I was more focusing on the league performance after eing where we were...

6 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

A fair point...my point was more about the league season, after having 30 points in January, and only being sat on 36 now, is a massive disappointment.  But yes, of course if you said at the start of the season would I be happy with a cup semi final and staying up, then yes of course. But I was more focusing on the league performance after eing where we were...

I don't think anyone could argue against the fact that the second half of the season has been disappointing based on the optimism we had but win on Sunday and that would be a huge achievement for us.

1 minute ago, Archers Road Stand said:

He doesn't know how to set up a defence. It's another display of piss poor management from him. 

Exactly this. We’ve been absolutely carved apart by one of the worst attacking teams in the league and people think the 9-0’s were a fluke. 

It’ll happen again. 

• Like 1

Just now, DarrenLeTiss said:

Ralph the clock is ticking. This isn't or hasn't been good enough for months. When does our patience run out?

imo, I still think we go into next season with him but if the first 10 games are more of the same and no different and I mean COMPLETELY different then adios.

Personally, I'd boot him now to have at least a shot in the Semi-final, if we play like we have in that half, we'll get absolutely hammered.

4 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

imo, I still think we go into next season with him but if the first 10 games are more of the same and no different and I mean COMPLETELY different then adios.

Personally, I'd boot him now to have at least a shot in the Semi-final, if we play like we have in that half, we'll get absolutely hammered.

I’m giving him until Sunday, but the inevitable defeat will be the straw that breaks the camels back for me. 

Too stubborn and or daft for him to turn it around. 

16 minutes ago, SKD said:

Exactly this. We’ve been absolutely carved apart by one of the worst attacking teams in the league and people think the 9-0’s were a fluke. 

It’ll happen again. 

Yep. Awful half. The 3 nil against Leeds was shocking too...all goals in the same half, and they should have had at least 5 in that half, and no var excuses, and 11 vs 11. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't her properly smashed again this season. 

Let's see where we are next season. If, as we are led to believe, this transfer window we will be active, then hopefully there will be improvements.

No point in being rash. After all, we had the same morons on here crying Puel out and we ended up with Pellegrino. I was right then and I imagine the more level-headed amongst us will be right this time.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Bad day at the office against a team full of confidence and everything to play for vs a team with nothing to play for. Can't blame Ralph for individual sloppiness, it just felt like a lack of focus. We were much better in the second but damage was done by then. We are safe, we made FA Cup semis, that's enough for me to call this an average season at worst.

People calling for sacking the manager if he doesn't make the FA cup final are, predictably, mental. 

Edited by TWar
  • Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl